Shield usage 03/18/2004 08:32 AM CST
Does anyone have a copy of Hartblests old posts on shields and how they work?

Failing that, can anyone explain how shield apps affect effectiveness?
Re: Shield usage 03/19/2004 04:14 PM CST
>Failing that, can anyone explain how shield apps affect effectiveness?

All numbers are made up.

For every rank in shield you get 2 points of shield blocking. However, once you reach the appraisal cap on the shield you only get 1 point of shield blocking for each additional rank.

Let's say you have 2 shields. The first shield the top end appraisal is incredible. The second shield the top end appraisal is fair.
Incredible = 100.
Fair = 50.

With 75 ranks in shield and the incredible shield, you'd have 150 (75*2) shield blocking points.

With 75 ranks in shield and the fair shield, you'd have 125 shield blocking points. You'd get 2 points per rank for the first 50 ranks, and then once the app capped you'd get 1 point per rank.

That's how top end works.

The bottom end I'm not sure. I think that means if the bottom end apped at low (call it 10 points of protection) that even if you had 1 rank of shield you'd still get those 10 points of protection.

Hope that made sense,
Paladin Tessaa
Re: Shield usage 03/22/2004 02:19 AM CST
>>Failing that, can anyone explain how shield apps affect effectiveness?

Here's a post by Ssra too.

Tessaa

DR-SSRA
Re: Shield Question... ? on 3/19/2004 2:17:42 PM

<<Does it mean, if my shield has rather low to great protection, that at low ranks I will get rather low protection and higher ranks will give me great protection? Also, does it makes sense for someone with, say, 25 ranks in shield to use a higher protecting shield, or will it protect as much as a target shield or lesser? Thanks!>>

If you pass the contest for a block:

The lower range is the least amount of protection a shield will afford you.

The upper range is the max amount of protection a shield will afford you.

Granted, there's more to it but that's what it means in a nutshell.

/salute

-Ssra