Shield question 01/22/2004 11:30 AM CST
Ok Veyl just said he fixed a bug with shield weights.
Post 852 in Combat- Weapons and Armor
<<I fixed a bug earlier tonight that was affecting the penalties from shield weight. Should be good now. :)

-- GM Veyl>>

Ok so something was affecting the penalties from shield weight. My question is what are the penalties of having a heavy shield, besides its higher appraised hinderance.
Re: Shield question 01/22/2004 11:40 AM CST
The penalties have always been there.

Think about it this way, with a heavy shield, it will take longer for you to actually move your shield into place to block an attack. I think this is offset by a combination of str+reflex.

Veyl came down while I was hunting to shields, and the reason almost no one else was seeing a difference, is because most shields are light in comparison to people's stats, so that the positive variable on the shield weight, because of the bug, wasn't noticiable. In my case, with a shield that weighs 500 stones, and I'm guessing RONE4's stats being close to the required stats for his shield, we were both seeing the difference.

As you can see from Veyl's post, this weight deficiency can be trained off with more stats, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Myself, I just discovered it yesterday, but it makes sense now.

Anyways, feel free to contact me if ya got questions, the IM under the avatar.

Ecoles
Join me in King of Chaos
http://www.kingsofchaos.com/recruit.php?uniqid=mcaxp79e
Re: Shield question 01/22/2004 11:53 AM CST
<<My question is what are the penalties of having a heavy shield, besides its higher appraised hinderance.>>

There is a contest in shield that examines the stats used in your defense [reflex, discipline, strength] and compares that to the weight of the shield to see if you have full use of your ability to block.

"Is the shield physically difficult for you to handle?"

When working normally this "penalty" is truly a trivial thing -- trust me -- and most likely only impacts very young characters. Most of you have no penalty whatsoever from the weight of shield. :)

/salute

-Ssra
Re: Shield question 05/10/2004 04:32 PM CDT
So you are saying that a combonation between [Disc, Strength, and Reflex] brings out more capability to use your shield? Is there a formula like weapons, so completely highten this ability?

Jondran
Re: Shield question 05/10/2004 04:58 PM CDT
Agility and more agility. Toss a RW up for some more agility and you'll rock

Kolaisa

Stabbity, block, you go thud.

Use that beer sponge you call a brain!
Re: Shield question 05/10/2004 07:37 PM CDT
>So you are saying that a combonation between [Disc, Strength, and Reflex] brings out more capability to use your shield? Is there a formula like weapons, so completely highten this ability?

Personally, I don't know of a specific formula, but those stats do enhance shield effectiveness, without a doubt. Matching a shield to your skill/stats is a key as well. At low ranks (say under 150), you really need a low hinderance shield to maximize the skill. At higher ranks, hinderance does not seem as important as protection and that allows use of higher hindering shields. Just my observations, although I can use a lower hindering shield quite effectively at level, I prefer the protection.

SR helps as well, being a reflex enhancing spell, maybe more from the evasion boost [ ^reflex = ^^evasion == lighter hits] but it is very noticable for shield.
Re: Shield question 05/10/2004 08:46 PM CDT
You need to pass a strength test to use a shield otherwise you get a big penalty. The difficulty of this test is based on shield weight. This is not a difficult test.

Barring this, reflex is the main stat in defending with a shield. Reflex is tha main stat for parrying. Reflex is the main stat for evasion. Basically, unless it's a contested spell, reflex is the main stat for defending against it.

Tessaa
Re: Shield question 05/15/2004 12:52 AM CDT
>You need to pass a strength test to use a shield otherwise you get a big penalty. The difficulty of this test is based on shield weight. This is not a difficult test.

and also mentioned that the weight penaly is a trivial matter and only very young players should be concerend with it.

Like Tess says, reflex is the defense god. it increases evasion, parry, and shield.

>Is there a formula like weapons, so completely highten this ability?

agility and strenght will increase weapon effectiveness. strength for damage and agility for to hit and damage.

brandon

Heck no, that would ruin my destruction of the guild. I'll be aiming for the trash that everyone throws out.

GM - Talian

IRL if i'm fighting a narcoleptic and they fall asleep midway through. The fight is over.

Rebwolf