shield effectivness 01/21/2004 01:31 PM CST
I have been gone for ahwile and recently came back. I have been noticeing that shields dont seem to be as effective as they used to be. I have 105 ranks in shield and was getting hit by jackles just south of shard with only one on me. Is it me or should that not be happening. Just wondering if they did somthing with shields.

Landros
Re: shield effectivness 01/21/2004 01:48 PM CST
Shields seem to work pretty well against creatures, against players is a different story. I seem to shield block pretty well when hunting at level without a severe multi penalty. I usually set my stance to be shield 100, evasion 90. You might try something like that, I don't know.

Holy guardian of TF
Re: shield effectivness 01/21/2004 04:32 PM CST
How was your balance? Were you using the new attack combos?

Cavalier Calemnon
Re: shield effectivness 01/21/2004 05:44 PM CST
I was useing a HE and useing the string parry/feint/draw/sweep/slice...or...smite/chop then repeating so my balance was fine. I guess i just never expected to be getting hit by one jackle with 105 ranks in shield when with 100 ranks in evasion my ranger could dance with 4 of them easealy. Maybe mobs have just been upgraded alot while i have been gone.

The other fact that bothred me was that my shield wasnt even moveing to learning from stuff that was hitting me. How do i go about training shield if im just gona get killed aginst anything that moves it....i got tore up by gargs i might not have even been holding my shield for what use it was. Snowies hit me but i could kill them if it was only one on one.

Landros
Re: shield effectivness 01/21/2004 05:50 PM CST
You should not be getting hit by jackals with 100+ in shield. You should barely get hit by gargs (although they are a bad critter to hunt) with that much.

What shield are you using?
What is your stance set at?
What is your reflex?

That might be part of why you are seeing odd results.
Re: shield effectivness 01/21/2004 06:09 PM CST
They did just recently tweak those wilderness critters, but jackals shouldn't hit you at all with that many ranks. That's just not right.

www.redvsblue.com
prepare for sarcasm...

Caneghem Urathi
Re: shield effectivness 01/21/2004 06:41 PM CST
You are currently using 2% of your evasion skill.
You are currently using 100% of your shield block skill.
You are currently using 80% of your weapon parry skill.
You are attacking with 100% of your offensive skill.

Strength : 26 Reflex : 13
Agility : 14 Charisma : 12
Discipline : 15 Wisdom : 15
Intelligence : 17 Stamina : 20

You tap a black shield emblazoned in silver with a rearing dragon that you are wearing.
>app my shield careful
You are certain that it imposes a fair maneuvering hinderance.

You are confident that the emblazoned shield is of average strength, and is in pristine condition.

It appears that the emblazoned shield can be slung over one shoulder.
The emblazoned shield has a bit of weight to it.
You are certain that the emblazoned shield is worth about 496 dokoras.

If in not mistaken it was from dragon priest invasion ahwile ago.

If anyone can make any more sugestions for me i would appreciate it

Landros
Re: shield effectivness 01/21/2004 06:56 PM CST
There's something wrong with shield RONE4. Post what ya have on the combat boards so that Veyl can see.

Also, something to think about, try parry at a very low setup. You'll see that you'll be better protected with parry at 2% then with shield at 100%. Even though there's a difference of, in my case, almost 40 ranks in favor of shield.

Ecoles
Join me in King of Chaos
http://www.kingsofchaos.com/recruit.php?uniqid=mcaxp79e
Re: shield effectivness 01/21/2004 07:08 PM CST
thanks ecoles ill post it on the combat boards

Landros
Re: shield effectivness 01/21/2004 07:42 PM CST
>Also, something to think about, try parry at a very low setup. You'll see that you'll be better protected with parry at 2% then with shield at 100%.

I'll agree. There was something goofy with evasion set so low, with parry and shield set high. I'm not sure if it was fixed or not. It may have been just recognized as an issue.

>You are currently using 2% of your evasion skill.
>You are currently using 100% of your shield block skill.
>You are currently using 80% of your weapon parry skill.
>You are attacking with 100% of your offensive skill.

You may have better luck with...

shield 100
evasion 80
parry 2

...with your shield out. In any regard, if you stance higher for shield or parry, do not have the other higher than evasion. I think that summarizes the conditions in which the weirdness was observed.

Please let us know how it works out.
Re: shield effectivness 01/21/2004 08:42 PM CST
i tried it with the sugestion of shield 100 parry 2 and evasion 80 and had the same results but ill leave it that way thanks for the tip.

landros
Re: shield effectivness 01/21/2004 08:58 PM CST
>i tried it with the sugestion of shield 100 parry 2 and evasion 80 and had the same results but ill leave it that way thanks for the tip.

You still got hit by jackals?
Re: shield effectivness 01/21/2004 11:46 PM CST
aye i was still getting hit with jackles. I think the problem is corected now there was a bug with shield weight. if its not fixed ill let everyone know

Landros
Re: shield effectivness 01/22/2004 05:24 AM CST
All is now well with my shield. no jackles takeing about out of this tin can anymore.

Landros