Shields vs. gargs.... 01/11/2004 09:32 AM CST
Ok.. is this common?

* With strength, a granite gargoyle bites at you. **Severely damaging your tower shield on its teeth, you block with an emblazoned tower shield.**
[You're incredibly balanced and in excellent position.]

slice

Fluidly, you slice a broadsword at a granite gargoyle. A granite gargoyle fails to evade. The broadsword lands a strong hit that wounds it deeply across the upper left arm.
A granite gargoyle grumbles and falls over with a THUD.
[You're incredibly balanced]
[Roundtime 6 sec.]

I was shocked... I was doing pretty good with my balance, but those gargs hit my shield several times and just banged it all to hell. Do I need to be using a goblin shield while in gargs? Are they just THAT hard on armor and stuff?

~Izabeta~
Re: Shields vs. gargs.... 01/11/2004 09:35 AM CST
Gargoyles are a bit hard on gear, including shields. So if you want to use shield while hunting gargs, you'll either want throw-aways or something with stronger than average construction.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Shields vs. gargs.... 01/11/2004 10:00 AM CST
normal, yes. Gargs can bury a shield in a few attacks.

bst way to protect it is to cast a nice DA while wearing your shield. I would also suggest using DA perminately anyway while hunting. just keep recasting when it falls. Even when it doesn't, its stackabout up to 35 minutes or so

Wait we can't stop here! This is bat country!
Re: Shields vs. gargs.... 01/11/2004 10:05 AM CST
I do use DA during combat... probably the only spell I do use on a consistant basis. I guess I'll just give it a go with a throw away shield so I dont pass out when I see the teeth marks those critters leave behind.

~Izabeta~
Re: Shields vs. gargs.... 01/11/2004 12:41 PM CST
That's incredibly normal. Gargoyles are after all made of granite so they tend to break metal thingies like shields. Just a heads up the Rock Guardians do the same thing just so yanno for future reference.

Umatos, Player of
Re: Shields vs. gargs.... 01/11/2004 01:02 PM CST
By the way Steeds in the Darkling Woods will bust up your shield just as easyly. I still use my shield in both gargs and steeds I just set my stance to shield 83 and parry 100 and they never seem to bust up my shield. It was only about a month ago that I lost a shiled from the Paladin guild in Ratha to a steed by forgetting to change my stances
Re: Shields vs. gargs.... 01/11/2004 02:56 PM CST
I use an ironwood buckler and steeds can't damage it. Gargs are the only things so far that can put dents in it, but it holds up better than a tower shield there too.

"The path of light necessarily leads through the dark"

Caneghem Urathi
Re: Shields vs. gargs.... 01/11/2004 09:18 PM CST
Gee Iza.. I just gave you the shield and you're breaking it already!!

My advice would be different from what other people told you though, I never did stop and hunt gargs for more than a couple minutes.

You can do fine without gargs in your critter ladder.. if you need a hand on what to fight feel free to IM me.

Phanton
Re: Shields vs. gargs.... 01/12/2004 02:25 PM CST
Gargs are stupid critters.

My advice would be not to even fight them. They're not worth it. They hit too hard and don't train high enough for their difficulty. And they trash shields. Not a loved critter by me at all.

My suggestion: Fight vines. Teach better, don't hurt NEARLY as bad, don't affect equipment. Or at least find something better than gargs.

Gargs are a paladin's not-friend.

Cavalier Calemnon
Re: Shields vs. gargs.... 01/12/2004 09:05 PM CST
Ya know Phanton... when that happened all I could think was, "Phanton took away my lovely pink shield and gave me this piece of now, garg chewed tin." hehe. I'll get in touch with you soon... We must talk armor very, very soon.

~Izabeta~
Re: Shields vs. gargs.... 01/16/2004 02:09 AM CST
Just returned a couple weeks ago from quite awhile away....really sucks to be a 25th circle TB pali, but oh well.

While trying to figure out what to hunt with all the changes and now the new combat changes, I tried gargs, lost a tower shield, a blue shield(no idea what type it actually was) and 4 gob target shields all within bout 4-6 strikes from a garg each.

Switched to ironwood from Shard and while its taken a few dings, it's still in my hand.....now I just gotta figure out if theres a difference between the ironwood shield and ironwood buckler.
Re: Shields vs. gargs.... 01/16/2004 06:13 AM CST
I'm not sure if either is better. My own experience is that my ironwood buckler never broke in gargs. From 50ish ranks to whatever, not even a dent. Rock Guardians however... ::grimace::
Re: Shields vs. gargs.... 01/16/2004 09:15 AM CST
Divine Armor is your friend.

Need a babelfish for DragonRealms?
http://www.bakshiloa.com/libraryindex.html

Re: Shields vs. gargs.... 01/16/2004 09:25 AM CST
>>Divine Armor is your friend<<

Absoultly correct also try setting your stances down if you have shield as your highest stance you are gonna get you shield broke set your parry higher. When I was hunting gargs I always set it to Parry 100 shield 82. And my shield usualy came out in great shape. Plus depending on where you are hunting if its in the Crossing preme area grab a few shields from reavers or grendles they last alright and when they do break its no sweat
Re: Shields vs. gargs.... 01/16/2004 04:26 PM CST
Just train the damn skill. It won't break if you are good.

Ecoles
Interim Vice-Speaker
http://home.earthlink.net/~rezillo/
Re: Shields vs. gargs.... 01/16/2004 04:28 PM CST
I still suggest the "don't fight gargs" idea.

Cavalier Calemnon
Re: Shields vs. gargs.... 01/16/2004 09:54 PM CST
I gotta agree with Calemnon, gargs stink.

Samsaren Remlane
Remember those that came before, remember honor.
Re: Shields vs. gargs.... 01/18/2004 07:03 AM CST
gargs are great for training everything but shield, so if ya like em, use em for everything but shield, then go somewhere else for the shield ranks.
i loved gargs for the boxes

Re: Shields vs. gargs.... 01/21/2004 03:05 AM CST
Gargs damage weapons too.

Cavalier Calemnon
Re: Shields vs. gargs.... 01/21/2004 03:06 AM CST
Oh, and don't ever hunt without keeping shield out at all times. Shield = paladins best friend. Better than HP. Should train it every moment while in combat to keep it up where it should be.

So basically, don't fight gargs, heh.

Cavalier Calemnon
Re: Shields vs. gargs.... 01/21/2004 06:20 AM CST
or if ya do buy ironwood
Re: Shields vs. gargs.... 01/21/2004 06:43 AM CST
Nope, just skip gargs, lots of stuff teaches better, easier to hunt, better treasure.

Samsaren Remlane
Remember those that came before, remember honor.
Re: Shields vs. gargs.... 01/21/2004 06:51 AM CST
would enjoy a tipoff then...after about 18 months out I've been back about 4 weeks...lotta changes, found I could hunt young ogres (not scouts), but then with the combat changes I couldn't hit ogres, so am now back to crocs, they've been teaching armor very well..am getting used to having to swim in there, and my FA is just enough I can handle the blood worms usually on the first try to remove them.

Crocs don't really generate enough for me to work multi which I definately need work on, after seeing the critters threads I was considering dusk ogres...how do those compare to crocs/young ogres/scout ogres?
Re: Shields vs. gargs.... 01/21/2004 06:52 AM CST
I'd go to sand sprites, but with the war on and me being an officer of Zoluren, I can't really run off to the islands with the trip back and forth being so long.
Re: Shields vs. gargs.... 01/21/2004 07:02 AM CST
Gate of souls, before the boulder. Up the NTR to the muck, and a few rooms north is a path. Try that first. If you do well, go past the boulder, but be careful down there.
Re: Shields vs. gargs.... 01/21/2004 07:42 AM CST
Can also try Creepers and Marauders in Theren

Ecoles
Interim Vice-Speaker
http://home.earthlink.net/~rezillo/
Re: Shields vs. gargs.... 01/21/2004 01:05 PM CST
Serpents and vipers out Riverhaven's east gate might be fun for you... better bring your shield though.

www.redvsblue.com
prepare for sarcasm...

Caneghem's player