Prev_page Previous 1
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/05/2018 09:09 PM CST
Thank you, Armifer, and godspeed.
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/06/2018 02:59 AM CST
>>DR-Armifer: Particularly perceptive Paladins may notice that references to the Endurance skill have now been changed to Conviction. Guild req and grandfathering are not live yet, but the infrastructure for the skill is in place. If you still encounter references to Endurance, please let me know so I can investigate.

I have moved/updated the relevant wiki pages.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Paladin new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Paladin_new_player_guide

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/06/2018 09:09 AM CST

Altruism is dead.
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/07/2018 10:49 AM CST
Got it. Paladins are junkies crawling around in search of just one more good deed to snort and they eventually snort so much goodness it sends them to oblivion. They are now selfish people running around taking action that feeds their personal addiction. Some of these people do things that coincidentally bring about a positive result. Beacons of Justice!
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/07/2018 11:50 AM CST
Just as a basic personality thing, people typically don't do things unless they get some sort of emotional thing out of it. That thing might be base, sublime, or buried under seven layers of Freudian nonsense, but people work toward their own (sometimes demented) idea of the good. The essence of a good person is a person who through socialization or natural inclination has developed a taste for doing things considered good.

Paladins do good. That they have a strong internal reason to do good is just acknowledging they're human beings (and equivalent). That they have the potential to become demented, or self-destructive, or even wrong is simply human weakness.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/08/2018 08:49 AM CST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DowJfUmlzeI&t=1m06s
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/08/2018 08:51 AM CST
Joey Tribbiani is my moral philosopher.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/08/2018 09:27 AM CST
Is there such a thing as maniacal "good?" The sanctified soul sounds like an opiate.
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/08/2018 09:53 AM CST
>>Is there such a thing as maniacal "good?" The sanctified soul sounds like an opiate.

Well there's fiery preachers, serpent kissers, tongues speakers, faith healers, and joyous martyrs. And that's just a selection off the top of my head of one religion in one country.

A friend and I talked about this topic recently, and he had a qood quote, "While there may not be a chemical component in the expression of the soul, a rush of Dopamine is a rush of Dopamine."

-Armifer
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/08/2018 11:59 AM CST
I've stated it before, but I think this could be one passage in a popular novel based on DR.

On another note, I'm embarrassed to say I just realized how well this fits preexisting abilities. It sounds to me like Paladins, through soul sanctification, achieve some higher level of consciousness. That may mean different things to different people, but let's say this has an impact on their awareness of the physical world (6th sense) to the extent that they can, in a very basic sense, manipulate it (glyphs)? I'm guessing it'd also probably make them very effective cult leaders... Or, inspirational military generals.
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/08/2018 12:13 PM CST

> On another note, I'm embarrassed to say I just realized how well this fits preexisting abilities. It sounds to me like Paladins, through soul sanctification, achieve some higher level of consciousness. That may mean different things to different people, but let's say this has an impact on their awareness of the physical world (6th sense) to the extent that they can, in a very basic sense, manipulate it (glyphs)? I'm guessing it'd also probably make them very effective cult leaders... Or, inspirational military generals.

Nice connection. I for one would love paladins to accidentally achieve what necromancers have been striving for. There's a certain ironic humor there. Where necromancers corrupt their soul in an attempt to to transcend the cycle, with mild success and still relying on demonic influence, paladins have successfully transcended through purification of that same soul. Maybe some innate connection, following the "true path", and without even trying. That would be funny.
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/08/2018 12:26 PM CST
>>I for one would love paladins to accidentally achieve what necromancers have been striving for. There's a certain ironic humor there. Where necromancers corrupt their soul in an attempt to to transcend the cycle, with mild success and still relying on demonic influence, paladins have successfully transcended through purification of that same soul.

Eh, for all I'm glib about Necropaladins, I don't think it works for the two guilds to be in the same thematic space. My take on Paladins is "Heroic sacrifice tempered by human weakness." Because it's a fantasy setting where gods and magic and soul power is real that has certain physics implications, but they're just not going in the same direction.

And there's the legit concern, as I write fiction for multiple guilds, to differentiate them as strongly as I can. If someone likes Necrolore, that's great and they can absolutely have fun playing a Necromancer, but you shouldn't need to like Necrolore to play a Paladin. The exception I'll make for myself is there's certain qualities in fiction I consider universal to my tastes and style -- mainly, that emphasis again on exploring human foibles and weakness in the face of fantasy stereotypes -- that I'll indulge in everywhere I go.

-Armifer
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/08/2018 12:52 PM CST
>>My take on Paladins is "Heroic sacrifice tempered by human weakness." Because it's a fantasy setting where gods and magic and soul power is real that has certain physics implications, but they're just not going in the same direction.

IMO, there's also the whole "Would the Immortals ever allow Paladins to be more than what the Immortals would ever want them to be" thing going on. It's not like the Immortals are necessarily a welcoming bunch.

That would be a funny turn on why Paladins feel a bigger and bigger demand for sacrifice, too. Would the Immortals prefer their tools just burning out than burn too bright?

This is also my own view showing of how the Immortals are really just kings++ that act similar to how any mortal would act if given enough powers that go to the extremes of what's possible, though.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/08/2018 01:23 PM CST
>I for one would love paladins to accidentally achieve what necromancers have been striving for. There's a certain ironic humor there. Where necromancers corrupt their soul in an attempt to to transcend the cycle, with mild success and still relying on demonic influence, paladins have successfully transcended through purification of that same soul.

There's a certain precision to the nuance in the Sacrifice post that makes me believe the Philosopher level of transcendence, even in the loosest sense, probably can't happen (for Paladins). In any case, why would a paladin want to? There seems a certain euphoria afforded in the physical DR world by the sanctified soul. I'm assuming it's like an irrational level of self-confidence in his ability to do "good."

There are a lot of parallels to RL. Like, well, there's a good case for there being no such thing as free will, but we're blissfully ignorant of that fact. We have the freedom to choose, but choice is influenced by at least some measure of external factors. Even if you choose to go against a strong urge, are you choosing or...? So, philosophy can be interesting.

Paladins have urges prescribed by their soul, and it takes them to new heights of power, sense of self. I imagine it's like a supercharged version of the satisfaction achievable by reaching a goal. Paladins can go against those urges based on psychology, sociology, physiology, genes, etc. That's not to say paladins can't find fulfillment through other facets of life, like religion, but the guiding hand slaps hard when they pursue incompatible stuff.

From the perspective of the paladin, anything beyond that, it seems is irrelevant. Does this "transcendence" translate to post-mortem transcendence? Dunno, don't care. The more interesting questions might be those revolving around metacognition.
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/08/2018 01:27 PM CST
>>Like, well, there's a good case for there being no such thing as free will, but we're blissfully ignorant of that fact. We have the freedom to choose, but choice is influenced by at least some measure of external factors.

Just on a side note, if you're interested in the question of freedom Sartre's analysis at the end of Being and Nothingness is pretty good. He's pretty good at sorting out the notion of free will, free choice, and contingency (a term that encompasses both the brute facts of reality and accidents of birth).

The rest of Being and Nothingness is kind of a plodding mess I flavored Necros with, but the freedom stuff stands up well.

-Armifer
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/08/2018 02:05 PM CST

>"While there may not be a chemical component in the expression of the soul, a rush of Dopamine is a rush of Dopamine."

The first Animal Behavior class I took back in high school laid out pretty sound reasoning for altruism not existing. It only gets more bleak.

> The exception I'll make for myself is there's certain qualities in fiction I consider universal to my tastes and style -- mainly, that emphasis again on exploring human foibles and weakness in the face of fantasy stereotypes -- that I'll indulge in everywhere I go.

It may be worth an observation here, but one of the things I've enjoyed most about DR cosmology as a whole is the very frequent underlines to the notion of almost everyone operating in a significant gray space. DR is not a game that makes 'good' and 'evil' a distinct binary. It's a nice revision on the all to common fantasy tropes of the cackling Nazgul and radiantly shining Valar. It is in many ways what makes, for example, Professor X vs Magneto a more compelling rivalry than say, Superman vs Doomsday. No one roots for Doomsday, but a lot of people may think Magneto was right.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/facebook/000/018/543/fc_550x550_red.jpg
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/08/2018 02:26 PM CST
>>The first Animal Behavior class I took back in high school laid out pretty sound reasoning for altruism not existing. It only gets more bleak.

I'm not an evo psych kind of person, but part of my theoretical baggage is Freud and the notion that everything that a human does they do for a reason. It might be a terrible reason or a great reason or a really confused reason, but there's not so much a RNG in the mind as there is a boggling complex set of inputs all leading to the output.

And again, I'll emphasize that just because people do things for a reason doesn't mean doing things is bad. It's part of a bizarre and damaging social narrative to believe that goodness is selfless, saints are flawless, and the perfect outweighs the good. People are people, and the only reasonable way to judge a human's goodness is on the condition of being a human.

>>It may be worth an observation here, but one of the things I've enjoyed most about DR cosmology as a whole is the very frequent underlines to the notion of almost everyone operating in a significant gray space. DR is not a game that makes 'good' and 'evil' a distinct binary.

I'm more okay with absolutes in terms of Not Human. For example, demons and specifically The Hunger. I am totally okay with saying the evil god-like thing from the depths of non-space a universe over is totally and irredeemably maleficent. But the undercurrent of that is that I'm saying such a state is alien and does not gel with how humans operate.

-Armifer
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/08/2018 04:29 PM CST
>And again, I'll emphasize that just because people do things for a reason doesn't mean doing things is bad. It's part of a bizarre and damaging social narrative to believe that goodness is selfless, saints are flawless, and the perfect outweighs the good. People are people, and the only reasonable way to judge a human's goodness is on the condition of being a human.

How dare you!?

On a serious note, there's a certain sense of beauty and, ironically, freedom in that. It's probably fitting that the most ideological guild in the game is Necromancers'.
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/08/2018 05:10 PM CST
> Eh, for all I'm glib about Necropaladins, I don't think it works for the two guilds to be in the same thematic space.

Yeah, fair enough. I do like some guild going equal and opposite with necros, but that's probably more cleric space anyway.

> In any case, why would a paladin want to?

I was mostly being funny, but it was more about a paladin perfecting their weaknesses. They aren't trying to be divine. They're just turning into it by virtue of what they're doing. Something like purging yourself of impurities with divine magic makes what remains a divine construct. The urge to purge more and more of yourself (sacrifice) is what lets them go further than others would.

> This is also my own view showing of how the Immortals are really just kings++ that act similar to how any mortal would act if given enough powers that go to the extremes of what's possible, though.

Yeah, I always saw them as super-powerful wizards. Full-metal alchemist hohenheim-like creatures. That's probably just my own mis-reading somewhere though.

> Professor X vs Magneto

I liked this too. Professor, despite all the glint and glamour, was not as good as he was portrayed. Magneto, despite the rhetoric and villainizing, wasn't as bad.
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/09/2018 11:48 AM CST
>>It's a nice revision on the all to common fantasy tropes of the cackling Nazgul and radiantly shining Valar. It is in many ways what makes, for example, Professor X vs Magneto a more compelling rivalry than say, Superman vs Doomsday.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I loved the way the LotR portrayed good: it made it interesting. In contemporary narratives, the anti-hero is utterly cliche. But characters like Gandalf and Aragorn, generally despised as vagrants and malcontents, labored through countless years, not for a dopamine hit, but because of a commitment to a vision of life. The moral lens of LotR comes out of a wartime perspective, where the annihilation of one's culture and way of life is a very real possibility if one does nothing. For me, fantasy settings are still a place where one can play characters who serve and struggle not because it feels good, but because they are that committed to stewardship and the elimination of tyrannical power.

>> A Paladin who fails to temper the calling will find themself called to greater and greater sacrifice, chasing greater and greater spiritual reward.

>>... Paladins are uniquely situated to make the attempt and, after a life time of sacrifice, reap a wholesome and powerful reward.

>>"While there may not be a chemical component in the expression of the soul, a rush of Dopamine is a rush of Dopamine."

>>Dark and edgy characters are over-represented in Elanthia, and I like that some thought is being given to creating mechanical incentives for being good/lawful...

A lot of the lore being set up for paladins is awesome! And as much as I like expanding the concept of the paladin to include more moral ambiguity, I think my one fear is that, with so much emphasis on rewards and hubris, that the possibility of playing a truly virtuous paladin in DR - a world where orcish slavers, forces of nature and demonic overlords are eager to exert their power to destroy or exploit the weak - is foreclosed, because, underneath it all, they are just basking in the rewards of their soul. As much as Sartre and many other intellectuals find a life of service incomprehensible, seeing people who work long and hard in the service of others quickly dispels the notion that they are ultimately working for some kind of chemical reward. I hope that those who want to play the dedicated, world-weary hero, can still find that possibility in the paladin's guild.

"A time may come soon," said [Aragron], "when none will return. Then there will be need of valour without renown, for none shall remember the deeds that are done in the last defence of your homes. Yet the deeds will not be less valiant because they are unpraised."
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/09/2018 11:58 AM CST
I guess, rendering that down, the question that I need answered before I can answer to that post is, "What is true virtue?"

-Armifer
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/09/2018 12:40 PM CST
>>I guess, rendering that down, the question that I need answered before I can answer to that post is, "What is true virtue?"

I think the answer I like here is one that includes many possibilities, rather than one that dismisses virtue as a myth overlaying biochemical reinforcement.

Some will find service to a higher cause, whether it be freedom from oppression, relieving suffering, protecting the weak, or anything else that falls under "that for which one feels conviction" as virtuous. I think I'm just hoping that there's enough in the lore to say that not every paladin is addicted to the rewards of the soul. Some struggle to serve everyday, but they still do it. Socrates didn't get a dopamine hit from drinking the hemlock, but his dedication to rationality allowed him to do it; the special needs teacher struggles everyday to do her job well, but is committed to the idea that everyone deserves an education; the paladin who protects the middens orphanage would much rather be drinking with the Tavern Troupe, but he wants those kids to have a shot at happiness too - that sort of thing, I think, is cool to have as a possibility for paladins, even as I like the idea that some are more pleasure-seeking, self-righteous types.
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/09/2018 12:53 PM CST
>>I think the answer I like here is one that includes many possibilities, rather than one that dismisses virtue as a myth overlaying biochemical reinforcement.

The thing that I have dismissed is the notion that virtue comes ex nihilo (or that any human behavior does). Awarded Heaven, I doubt many of us would choose Hell to spite the God who in so doing undermined our moral integrity.

I'm not sure how common it is, but where I studied the term "metaphysical baggage" got tossed around sometime. The idea is that nobody is free of making presumptions about the nature of humanity and reality, and those presumptions found how they answer every other question. With introspection you can try to identify those presumptions, and with study you can choose them in a more informed manner, but they're always there. If someone believes they aren't doing it, that means they are doing it poorly.

Like, LOTR. It sometimes gets called Catholic fiction for a few reasons, but mainly because the story's metaphysical baggage is informed by the theological view of morality and religion held by its author. That's not bad -- there's quite a few Catholics in the world that are perfectly happy with their worldview -- but it should be understood to be an argument from a specific view of how the universe operates.

I, too, have a specific view of how the universe operates and I do not come into this thread offering cosmic truth. Instead, I am writing from a viewpoint informed by a formal study in Psychology with a lot of Philosophy baggage attached. That's my baggage, and it's neither great nor bad, it's simply where I come from.

-Armifer
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/09/2018 01:08 PM CST

> I guess, rendering that down, the question that I need answered before I can answer to that post is, "What is true virtue?"

I think the glyph quests do a great job of answering that question. In short, I'd argue that virtue is adhering to your moral standards, but I'd argue that the guild shapes those standards. It's the ability to wield Thor's hammer*, where your own internal indecision could make you "unworthy". It may not always be what's smart or lawful, but it is very personal. Again, with the guild's edicts shaping that personal code.

SPOILER WARNING

SPOILER WARNING

SPOILER WARNING

- Warding glyph - you need to guard a girl who is being hunted. You're not necessarily sacrificing something to do this. There's no illusion that you couldn't wipe the floor with the pursuers or even if they're in the right legally. Maybe the girl stole. Maybe she's a necromancer. You don't know, but you guard the weak because they're weak.

- Mana glyph - you need to not be the instigator. Even someone who is generally considered a bad guy deserves respect. You shouldn't proactively attack them because of a stereotype.

- Ease glyph - This one kind of has the sacrifice theme. You join a warrior's crusade simply because they asked for help. Rather than sacrificing your friend to complete the mission, you abandon the mission to save your new friend.

- Sacred Insight - You're hunting down grave robbers and retrieving important items lost by those too weak to do it themselves.
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/09/2018 01:25 PM CST
>>I think the glyph quests do a great job of answering that question. In short, I'd argue that virtue is adhering to your moral standards,

I've been assuming we've been using the term virtue in the past few posts in a more Christian sense of reality-defined morality. If I'm mistaken then I've been off the mark a bit.

That said, I'm pretty sympathetic to the Ancient Greek thing, which I think is what you're touching on. Arete and the idea of defining something's virtue as the excellence with which they accomplish their function.

-Armifer
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/09/2018 01:41 PM CST

>I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I loved the way the LotR portrayed good: it made it interesting. In contemporary narratives, the anti-hero is utterly cliche. But characters like Gandalf and Aragorn, generally despised as vagrants and malcontents, labored through countless years, not for a dopamine hit, but because of a commitment to a vision of life. The moral lens of LotR comes out of a wartime perspective, where the annihilation of one's culture and way of life is a very real possibility if one does nothing. For me, fantasy settings are still a place where one can play characters who serve and struggle not because it feels good, but because they are that committed to stewardship and the elimination of tyrannical power.

Ehh, I think the LotR portrayal is the standard fantasy trope. Even Aragorn as a reluctant hero, perhaps even the initially misunderstood hero, is pretty tired. And that very binarization of good/evil in LotR is also the standard fantasy trope. No one roots for Sauron. Saurons victory means the annihilation of everyone, and even wrapping his loss in some vague notion of 'end of the age of magic' isn't really a significant cost given the world of Middle Earth as we we see it has already almost entirely 'moved on' from magic. Additionally, no one hearing or viewing these stories are going to ask themselves if Sauron might win. We know the heroes will prevail. The term 'anti-hero' as I see it doesn't mean 'hero who scowls', it means 'individual who is maybe actually a bad person who happens to be fighting on what is maybe the right side of this conflict'. Lestat is a good example, insofar as being an amoral jerkbag who periodically realizes that bigger issues that produce a net good must be accomplished so he can keep being the amoral jerkbag he is.

Pertaining to Paladins, no matter the underlying pathology driving them to 'be good', and no matter the hidden otherworldly shennanigans that may be at play regarding some elements of the guild/bonding process/sanctified soul/etc, it's all still pointing to Paladins being good, both morally and for the Plane of Abiding.
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/09/2018 01:46 PM CST
Sort of, not really, maybe relevant... I have a friend who's a very introspective dude with whom I often talk about stuff like altruism and selfishness. He does a lot of community service, which the humanist in me really prizes. He sincerely refuses to accept/acknowledge any compliments, however, because he sees it as something he does for himself. He does it in large part because he likes the person he is when he does those things, and he's one of the most sincere people I know. The thing is, that doesn't take away from the good he does. He sacrifices time, energy and money to help others, which to me is the epitome of altruism irrespective of his reason. For most, I'm sure that raises his human equity.

Now... There is one thing I found mildly unsettling but I planned to table it until future lore is released. The lore implies a puppetmaster about whom we know nothing, but who's more heavy-handed with paladins than other guilds. That may be misinterpretation on my part.
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/09/2018 01:50 PM CST
>>Now... There is one thing I found mildly unsettling but I planned to table it until future lore is released. The lore implies a puppetmaster about whom we know nothing, but who's more heavy-handed with paladins than other guilds. That may be misinterpretation on my part.

At the risk of spoiling things: there is no single puppetmaster in the DR lore. I mean, there are things and people who I'd describe as puppetmaster_s_ but there's no one single threat that's pulling all the strings and setting everything in play. Of the entities that most fit the idea of a recurring force, you've already met it (the demon that is currently known as the Hunger).

With that in mind, the sanctification of the Paladins came from somewhere and is toward some end, yeah. It's not the same entity/force/whatever it may be as in other guilds, but there is a telos at work.

-Armifer
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/09/2018 01:56 PM CST

>Sort of, not really, maybe relevant... I have a friend who's a very introspective dude with whom I often talk about stuff like altruism and selfishness. He does a lot of community service, which the humanist in me really prizes. He sincerely refuses to accept/acknowledge any compliments, however, because he sees it as something he does for himself. He does it in large part because he likes the person he is when he does those things, and he's one of the most sincere people I know. The thing is, that doesn't take away from the good he does. He sacrifices time, energy and money to help others, which to me is the epitome of altruism irrespective of his reason. For most, I'm sure that raises his human equity.

I think there's a little bit of language bias and/or semantics at stake in discussions that toy with the notion of altruism not existing. From an Animal Behavior perspective, which is where I have more experience, the point isn't so much that 'organisms are incapable of 'intentionally' doing things that solely and only benefit other organisms', which is true, but that 'if you examine seemingly altruistic behavior in any organism, you'll likely discover some benefit to the organism'. Animal Behaviorists use the term altruism plenty, but it doesn't mean 'truly purely utterly selfless acts'. Accordingly, the notion of your buddy deriving some personal enjoyment, or even just feeling a reduction in the burden of responsibility to do nice things, that doesn't take away from or reduce the good deed. Mutualism is more commonly used to describe these relationships, and it doesn't have to be an even trade, AND, the more complex the organism, the more nuanced and unequal these relationships can become. Which is neat and also beautiful.

Back to Paladins, even if the drive to sacrifice and perform morally good deeds is driven by a cause, the fact remains that the very nature of the Sanctified Soul relies on that sacrifice and performance. I'd say.
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/09/2018 02:00 PM CST

> I've been assuming we've been using the term virtue in the past few posts in a more Christian sense of reality-defined morality. If I'm mistaken then I've been off the mark a bit.

Maybe? This conversation has taken some odd turns and it has me questioning the very nature of free will, so I'm not sure we're disagreeing. I don't really know though as a lot of this philosophy is over my head.

> That said, I'm pretty sympathetic to the Ancient Greek thing, which I think is what you're touching on. Arete and the idea of defining something's virtue as the excellence with which they accomplish their function.

Let me see if I can simplify my thoughts and let you bucket those as makes sense.

I was reading a mix of the the two statements.

- The guild provides virtue. A set of strictures, teachings, ideology found in quests, and general code of ethics. They try to imprint these on a young paladin's mind. Maybe this represents soul state.

- The paladin provides conviction. Everyone comes with baggage, and not everyone accepts every rule (new testament vs old testament Christians, for example), and they have to define their own role within that ideology. It's a stretch, but maybe the level of this represents soul pool.

You can violate virtue and lose your ability to wield the hammer, so to speak, while still acting according to your conscience. In the paladin sense, that's stealing a loaf of bread to save a starving child even though the guild would banish you for the act. It's a lose-lose situation. Either you break your own convictions to uphold the guild's view of virtue or you accept the guild may be wrong to fulfill your own conviction. maybe there is a black and white component. maybe it's a sliding scale.

So the virtue of what is good is still heavily influenced by the underlying structure (see the glyph quests) with some very important rules you can't break, but it allows for some personal interpretation - some the guild is okay with - some they aren't. For example, a personal choice could be moral codes taking precedence over provincial laws (ie: tolerating shifting or necromancy in Therengia if the situation demanded it). Allowing a paladin to sacrifice an army to save their friend (Glyph quest), sacrificing moral tenets as needed (stealing to feed a starving child), or even taking the stalwart stance (child starves to death, because stealing is wrong).

Does that make sense or did I only confuse the matter?
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/09/2018 04:24 PM CST
>I think there's a little bit of language bias and/or semantics at stake in discussions that toy with the notion of altruism not existing. From an Animal Behavior perspective, which is where I have more experience, the point isn't so much that 'organisms are incapable of 'intentionally' doing things that solely and only benefit other organisms', which is true, but that 'if you examine seemingly altruistic behavior in any organism, you'll likely discover some benefit to the organism'. Animal Behaviorists use the term altruism plenty, but it doesn't mean 'truly purely utterly selfless acts'. Accordingly, the notion of your buddy deriving some personal enjoyment, or even just feeling a reduction in the burden of responsibility to do nice things, that doesn't take away from or reduce the good deed. Mutualism is more commonly used to describe these relationships, and it doesn't have to be an even trade, AND, the more complex the organism, the more nuanced and unequal these relationships can become. Which is neat and also beautiful.

I'm no biologist or psychologist, but it doesn't take a leap of logic to arrive at the conclusion fitness plays a role. Like you stated, that doesn't make good people any less good. It also doesn't make good people saints. And, yeah, I find that neat and beautiful too. FWIW, I don't think embracing that breeds cynicism so much as honesty. I have a bias against extreme anything, including extreme "good."

So, umm... I think paladins can be genuinely good. Whatever that means for you, them, Elanthians.
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/09/2018 04:40 PM CST
>>I'm no biologist or psychologist, but it doesn't take a leap of logic to arrive at the conclusion fitness plays a role.

I prefer social to evolutionary explanations just because that's how I roll, but yeah, I'll get behind the spirit of that too, and really both veins of Psychology lead us to the same conclusion over this one.

Re: saints. I no longer have any skin in this game, but it's interesting to note that not even the saints are all, uh, saints. My favorite mass ever was with a very intellectual, history oriented priest during the feast day of St. Vladimir the Great, Equal to the Apostles. Fun guy.

And this also ties into some noise in Catholic intellectual circles about how we've possibly positioned the saints in an unhealthy way, by emphasizing perfect devotion and supernatural feats. So the argument goes, it would be more helpful to believers for us to discuss the trials and struggles of faith the saints go through to achieve their status, rather than just display them as qualitatively different from us.

-Armifer
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/10/2018 12:43 PM CST
>>I, too, have a specific view of how the universe operates and I do not come into this thread offering cosmic truth. Instead, I am writing from a viewpoint informed by a formal study in Psychology with a lot of Philosophy baggage attached.

I really appreciate you discussing all of this stuff, and I totally get what you mean. It's just that GM posts are kind of as close to cosmic truth as it comes for DR, as they are super important to the perceived ontology of Elanthia, and underpin the in-game messaging and underlying systems.

I'm advocating for the possibility of selfless paladin because I like the idea of having the widest possible range of imaginative freedom in making characters and telling stories in Elanthia. A lot of subcultures exist in DR. Some of them involve necromancers snickering at the pathetic attempts of do-gooders trying to earn favor from their immortal overlords, and others involve paladins ridding themselves of base desires and the sad shackles of ceaseless egotism involved in attempting to tie one's consciousness to the Plane of Abiding forever.

I'm just hoping that in the end, there's enough wiggle room in the paladin lore to where neither viewpoint is more real or true than the other.

>>That said, I'm pretty sympathetic to the Ancient Greek thing, which I think is what you're touching on. Arete and the idea of defining something's virtue as the excellence with which they accomplish their function.

I like this too. I just worry that, with the emphasis on the rewards of the soul mixed with the (personal) excellence, one loses the sense of public virtue that was also an important part of the Greek concept. Aristotle and Plato write a ton about service to the state, to one's fellows and one's culture in the Ethics and the Republic.

You mentioned Obi Wan as inspiration for the paladin, which I think is an awesome model for the selfless paladin, along with a Zen Buddhist samurai that might've been the basis for the Jedi. The posts on the rewards of the soul, the mysterious entity involved with granting the paladin her powers, and the biochemical effects of paladinhood made me think a little of how cool I thought the Force was until the midi-chlorian stuff was written in to make it more realistic/material/believable. The more materialist direction is perfect for necromancers with their skepticism of the immortals and interest in hard truths that the sheep blindly ignore, but, since paladins are kind of the essence of an idealistic guild, struggling with embodying their ideas against the creeping hubris and egotism that comes from their moral and martial superiority, I'm really hoping that DR keeps the possibility of the dedicated idealist, Samurai Jack style paladin, even as it embraces the Judge Dredd and Batman types as well.

Thanks again for listening to these sorts of concerns, Armifer. Your posts are really interesting, and your work on the guilds is most appreciated!
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/10/2018 01:07 PM CST
>>I'm advocating for the possibility of selfless paladin because I like the idea of having the widest possible range of imaginative freedom in making characters and telling stories in Elanthia.

I know everyone's comfort level with these things isn't the same, but I feel DR's pretty good with allowing people to create their own truths for their characters, as long as the players themselves recognize that it might not really be correct in the most OOC sense (IE: a Necromancer can totally seeing themselves as being on team good in an IC sense, but the player being aware that OOCly they are the worst, or how players should be aware capital-S Sorcery is a bad idea for everyone but characters might be more blasé about it).

I think this is heavily reflected in the overarching lore of the game itself, given how every guild has a giant bag of skeletons in their closet (some more clear and present than others), and those skeletons don't necessarily resulting in the rank and file members of those guilds having to wear them as an albatross.

For example, you can be the most loving and caring and supportive Empath in the world, blind to the reality that your guild's deep deep deep deep deep history probably involves a lot of violence, death, and fear from everyone who lacks those Empathic powers (hell, an "unleashed" Empath is probably the biggest potential threat in Elanthia). Similarly, you could be an incredibly selfless "true-believer" Paladin while not knowing your guild's version of piety feeds a cosmic horror from beyond the stars (kidding, probably).

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/10/2018 02:10 PM CST
>You mentioned Obi Wan as inspiration for the paladin

I must have missed this, but I think this is probably a really apropos view. The Jedi are chock full of issues, the least of which are their strict adherence to the ethos of the Light Side to maintain their abilities. Jedi that stop behaving morally and psychologically in line with the Light Side ethos start becoming 'Not Jedi'.

See, everything is DR these days offtopic sorrynotsorry.
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/10/2018 02:25 PM CST
I think we all agree that Paladins should be able to RP selfless. Regrettably, I think my own tangents have probably muddied that. If so, I'm sorry about that. I read the last lore posts as OOC and let my mind run through the stuff I found interesting were my paladin a person living in the USA in 2018.

This is tough to say without sounding like an apologist... DR may be a world in which the truest selflessness exists, but I don't know if I could comprehend what that means. Note: That may be a pointless endeavor in any case because selflessness is selflessness and the rest is minutiae that probably doesn't interest most.

I agree with Sir Pure re: the RP stuff. I personally would probably never roll a rakash or prydaen necromancer, but nobody's gonna stop me or ridicule me if I did (not that I wouldn't welcome it in an IC sense).
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/10/2018 02:29 PM CST
>>I read the last lore posts as OOC and let my mind run through the stuff I found interesting were my paladin a person living in the USA in 2018.

I did too, actually. The past few days I thought I've been talking about real life concepts of morality and human determination.

I mean, there's no call to believe in a biochemical aspect to a Paladin's behavior because the soul is real and it's definitely doing stuff to the Paladin's mind (which, in DR lore, exists independently of their body). The Dopamine comments referred instead to the real life experience of spiritual experience among real, embodied human beings.

-Armifer
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/10/2018 02:56 PM CST
FWIW, I will go on record to state I would prefer if there's more to this all than Paladin's feeding their soul for their own benefit. That's something else I tabled because I think there's still a lot more to unfold, but it may touch on the issues raised by other posters here. While I think that's too anti-climactic for DR or Armifer brand lore, it probably bears mentioning.
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/10/2018 03:07 PM CST
>>FWIW, I will go on record to state I would prefer if there's more to this all than Paladin's feeding their soul for their own benefit. That's something else I tabled because I think there's still a lot more to unfold, but it may touch on the issues raised by other posters here. While I think that's too anti-climactic for DR or Armifer brand lore, it probably bears mentioning.

While I won't spoil where we're going yet, I will just emphasize the overall mood / thematic space I'm aiming for is "Heroic sacrifice tempered by human weakness."

Human weakness is my go-to for stories of morality and agency, questions which fit a guild like Paladins like a glove. Heroic sacrifice is the thing that defines a Paladin's particular slant towards that topic, unlike the Necromancers' quest for transcendental freedom or the Moon Mages' constant dealings with past and future sins.

And heroic sacrifice requires, well, something heroic to come into play.

-Armifer
Re: A Little More Conviction 01/10/2018 03:26 PM CST

> While I won't spoil where we're going yet, I will just emphasize the overall mood / thematic space I'm aiming for is "Heroic sacrifice tempered by human weakness."

I like the theme, but how will it differ from clerics in this regard? They also make heroic sacrifices to overcome their own innate weaknesses.
Prev_page Previous 1