Back 06/28/2003 10:35 AM CDT
While I've had a wonderful couple of weeks of vacationing, and had the pleasure to meet a few of you at the Con. It's a shame one of the first couple of posts I read upon my return is Doug's announcement. To all present who read these, greetings again; and for Daython, thanks and farewell.

Chestham

p.s. ~ Maece I will consider what we talked about.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell
Re: Back 06/29/2003 12:10 PM CDT

<<p.s. ~ Maece I will consider what we talked about.>>

Uh oh, secret conspiracies abound at Simucon.......

"If ever the Darkness should conquer the Light, the last gleam shall come from the uplifted blade of one of a righteous Paladin."

Sir Cleworth, paladin initiation speech.

"The truth will set you free...but first it pisses you off."

Anonymous
I'm Back 05/25/2004 12:44 PM CDT
...from my long weekend. ;p

Over the years there have been a numbers of things I've wanted to do and have, like crossing Abbey Road and watching the 24-hours of Le Mans. This last weekend I crossed off two more things from that list; visiting the American Cemetary in Luxembourg to finally see the resting place of General George S. Patton Jr., and the beaches of Normandy. With the upcoming Memorial Day and the following weekend the 60th Anneverisary of the D-Day landings; I have several pictures of Omaha Beach and the American Cemetary at Normandy on Yahoo photos. I have sent the link out through the DR Paladins group. If you have no care for the sacrifices made by the Greatest Generation, delete it. If you'd like to see the photos and are not a member of that group, you can reply via my play.net address and I'll send you the link.

I have been to Dachau and Buchenwald, but never have I been as moved as I was standing on Omaha Beach or later that day in the Cemetary.

Cedric

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell
Re: I'm Back 05/26/2004 08:37 PM CDT
>>the beaches of Normandy. With the upcoming Memorial Day and the following weekend the 60th Anneverisary of the D-Day landings; I have several pictures of Omaha Beach and the American Cemetary at Normandy on Yahoo photos.

I must agree. One of the high points of my military career was the opportunity to visit the Cemetary above Omaha Beach. Standing there, with the seemingly endless rows of white marble crosses/headstones/stars of david, to your left, as you look down the slope to the beach, and try to imagine that same scene, covered in hedgehogs/barbed wire/anti-tank emplacements, while the enemy forces hunkered down on the ridge, pouring fire down onto that beach... simply took my breath away.

One of the top most moving experiences of my life. Glad you were able to see it also and found it as moving.

Art Buck, the puppeteer behind Redarch

PS.. welcome back Cedrik. Glad to see ya return to us.
Re: I'm Back 05/27/2004 04:34 PM CDT
Alot of the WWI and WWII cemetaries and battle sites are very moving and interesting. My sister is a soon to be a History graduate, and her thesis focuses heavily on certain aspects of WWII. She took me around a few cemetaries in France, Germany, Poland and the Czech republic. Out of everything though.. what really, really got to be were the concentration camps. It was an experience I think everyone should have.. but it's one I won't be doing again I don't think.

~Kesrel T'Rickta,
Player of
I'm Back: Part Deux 09/21/2004 04:39 PM CDT
From the Netherlands :-)

In continuation of the title from May, we returned yesterday from spending the weekend in Eindhoven, Holland. We were there for the 60th anniversary commemorations of Operation Market Garden. Visited the 101st dropzone (which is now well within city limits) and had a good time talking to a number of (grateful) Dutch and British re-enactors dressed up as 101st Paras. Even made it to Nijmegen and reminisced about my first trip to that wonderful city and country. Who knew walking 100 miles in four days would be so much fun.

C-Tom

p.s. ~ go rent "A Bridge Too Far", or episode 4 of "Band of Brothers" if you've no idea what Market Garden was about.

George Orwell
I'm Back: Part 3 10/24/2004 04:47 PM CDT
From Huertgen Forest...

I've decided to keep a small running post from each of these excursions we make. Yesterday it was the Huertgen area, a small patch of forest and towns that turned into a meat grinder for five divisions. Or to put it as the curator of the museum in Vossenack, "it took only 3 months to cross all of France from Normandy and D-Day, but it took 6 months to clear the Huertgen". Most of the day was spent following the (mishaps) of the 28th "Keystone" Inf Div, but the 4th, 8th, 9th, (28th), 83rd Infantry, 5th Armored Divisions and 2nd Rangers each played a part and nearly every division ended up conbat ineffective after their turn.

A decent site for more info on
The consolidated aid station
http://www.usarmymodels.com/MODEL%20GALLERY/Hurtgen%20Forest/1intro.html
The 28th ID
http://www.usarmymodels.com/MODEL%20GALLERY/Hurtgen%20Forest/2history.html

C-Tom

George Orwell