Thinking on Chadatru 07/24/2007 10:38 AM CDT
So, I've been doing some pondering as of late, to try and further flesh out Zauds roleplay a bit. So I thought I'd post my thoughts on the differences between Chadatru, Rutilor, and Botolf and see what other people had to say. Understand this is by no means a law of how to roleplay, but merely my thoughts on faith and the Paladin. Everyone has their own interpretation.

The way I look at things is on a scale of 1 - 10, 1 being the most good you can be, and 10 being the most evil you can be, Rutilor is a 1, Botolf a 10 and Chadatru is a 5.

Rutilor is the god of truth, justice is black and white to him, a simple right and wrong. Justice isn't necessarily just what is dictated by provincial law, but what is passed down by Rutilor to his followers, that even the governemtn must fear a Paladin of Rutilor because they are the law, they are judge, jury and executioner. They are justice to the extreme and the epitomy of good. A Paladin of Rutilor will not lie. Paladins I see that fit this mold are Inquisitors, Holy Zealots, and Judges.

Botolf is the god of fallen Paladins and Thieves. Justice is an illusion to Botolf, nothing more then a way to manipulate people into doing what you want them to do. It is the worlds greatest lie. Justice is put forth by people of power in order that they might control their people through fear of punishment, and intimidation. Justice is nothing more then a tool to become rich, powerful and gain control over the masses. A Paladin of Botolf will lie, cheat, steal, kill, and do whatever is necessary for their own means. Paladins that fit this mold are Holy Zealots, Fallen Paladins, Dark Paladins, Corrupt Politicians, Corrupt Judges.

Chadatru is the god of justice. Justice isn't so simple as to be defined as black and white. Even though a provincial law says that stealing is against the law, a man who steals money from a corrupt government in order to feed his friends and family certainly is not doing any injustice in Chadatrus eyes. He is the father of structure, a belief that for things to remain balanced, there needs to be order. A Paladin of Chadatru may not necessarily lie outright, but certainly not tell the whole truth if by telling the truth it will cause more damage then what has already been done. Paladins of Chadatru are possibly the hardest to roleplay, being both a mix of Rutilor and Botolf, they walk a fine line of balances, an understanding that life is not black and white, but a constant series of gray encounters that must be judged and weighed heavily before a decision can be made. Paladins that fit this mold would be Military Leaders, Diplomats, Soldiers, Mercenaries.

Just my thoughts........

~Player of Zaud (Platinum)

Got Smite? - http://www.drpaladin.com
Re: Thinking on Chadatru 07/24/2007 12:03 PM CDT
Good to see some thinking about the paladin patron and his aspects. When I have more time, I'll post my thoughts on it.

In the meantime, if you are trying to flesh out your paladin...take a look at the Paladin Code. If you are a paladin, you have to deal with it IMO. You either follow it or you don't. If you don't (which most don't), then IMO you need a reason why you do not.

Madigan

True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.

Arthur Ashe
Re: Thinking on Chadatru 07/24/2007 05:29 PM CDT
is wanting Beren back a sound enough reason?
Re: Thinking on Chadatru 07/24/2007 05:46 PM CDT
Yes, thank you Madigan, I'm very familiar with the Paladin code. A rather duh moment I just realized that I do not have it posted anywhere on my site, that would definatly make a good addition to the library section.

Look forward to reading your thoughts.

~Player of Zaud (Platinum)

Got Smite? - http://www.drpaladin.com
Re: Thinking on Chadatru 07/24/2007 10:06 PM CDT
>>Botolf is the god of fallen Paladins and Thieves. Justice is an illusion to Botolf, nothing more then a way to manipulate people into doing what you want them to do. It is the worlds greatest lie. Justice is put forth by people of power in order that they might control their people through fear of punishment, and intimidation. Justice is nothing more then a tool to become rich, powerful and gain control over the masses. A Paladin of Botolf will lie, cheat, steal, kill, and do whatever is necessary for their own means. Paladins that fit this mold are Holy Zealots, Fallen Paladins, Dark Paladins, Corrupt Politicians, Corrupt Judges.

The one line you didn't use, that I think epitomizes the concept of a Paladin of Botolf is.. "The END Justifies the MEANS". The phrase "This result is REQUIRED and I'll do anything to achieve it", regardless of what that 'result' is. This is where it becomes difficult to tell a Paladin of Rutilor and a Paladin of Botolf apart. "This person is bad/evil/too goody-goody (pick your reason) and therefore must receive THIS particular punishment." That reasoning can be found from BOTH types of paladins. Same result, but with different motivations.

Otherwise, I don't have any real strong disagreements with the definitions you gave.

Redarch
Dwarf with an Axe.. Watch your toes!
Re: Thinking on Chadatru 07/27/2007 11:30 AM CDT
<<Paladin code>>

That does remind me that our signs with the code on it has disappeared. I'll look into getting those back into the guildhalls in some manner.

~Maece

"LIFE EXPECTANCY: REGULAR OR EXTRA-CRISPY?"

Feast, 2005
Re: Thinking on Chadatru 09/17/2007 03:56 AM CDT
Considering Justice itself is considered to be a good thing, I'd think Chadatru is a 3.

Chadatru promotes what is right.

Rutilor promotes what is good.

Botolf is a second-order nihilist.

Anyways, that's how I see it.
Re: Thinking on Chadatru 09/17/2007 04:03 AM CDT
After reading that last post I think I came across as an intellectual snob.

For people who are not familiar:
First-order nihilists are those who believe that things like "the good" and "the just" do not exist.

Second-order nihilists are those who believe that there are things known as "the good" or "the just" but there exist no justification for them.

Botolf believes in things like "the good", but only as a means to manipulating others. There is nothing actually good about the good.

Also, I think a lot of the gods don't exactly lie at the midpoint between their two aspects. Chadatru to me is the most obvious example.