Grey Assassins and Role Play 09/19/2005 10:51 AM CDT
Let me preface this post by saying that I understand not everyone RP's a paladin in the same way and I would like to avoid getting into the 'cookie cutter' dicussion.

I play a paladin who is living in Shard currently and has lived there for most his life, a member of the Ilithi army/militia during the outcast war and currently Leutenant(sp?) in the Ilithi army.

I was walking around in Shard yesterday heading to the gem shop and out of nowhere I see this 'grey assassin' entering and leaving the gem shop. Alarms in my head start going off right away. The name 'grey assassin' appeared in the typical default 'this is a critter not a player' color(yellow for me) so I automatically assume that this person or thing is a threat to me personally, and anyone else that is walking around in Shard.

Now I form this opinion based on no real information other than the title provided to me(grey assassin), and as I have been out of DR for the past 3 months(just got back recently) I really didn't know if this type of thing was a regular occurance or not.

So right off the bat I started to prepare Halt, put up a GoL, and attempted to track this thing down, again, without really thinking about why.

I manage to catch up to it infront of the Traders guild tower, and ALMOST get off the halt, but it hides right away, so im stuck having this conversation with the assassin. The assassin asks me why I am bothering it, and warns me to leave it alone, or to face the consequences. Well, obviously I didn't just run off and continued to advertise myself of a threat to this guy, and I ended up getting shot in the back and dieing.

Well, shortly before I die, a commander walks into the room and starts talking about the Ferdahl and they Grey Lady and some other things and it just leave me feeling confused. I find out later on that this grey assassin just walks around killing people on the wanted list(for some reason) and after thinking about it, it seems that I may not have been justified in my actions.

So I guess here is my question, if you see a 'grey assassin' walking around your home town, do you have some sort of compulsory reaction just to hunt it down? Or was that poor role-play on my part?

I will admit that the whole event left me rather perplexed.
Re: Grey Assassins and Role Play 09/19/2005 11:23 AM CDT
Prep SF/halt at it's max before going after it. Trace mana the second you walk into the room. Cast. :)

Kolaisa

Bar maids and beauties
Re: Grey Assassins and Role Play 09/19/2005 12:09 PM CDT
In the future, yes, it's advisable to ask questions first and kill later, rather than the other way around. The same problem occurred in Therengia with some emissaries from the Velakan slavers... We "good guys" managed to kill no fewer than two ambassadors because some folks have itchy trigger fingers and they were yellow.

I'm not sure I wouldn't have done the same thing, but... In the future, try to figure out what they're up to before automatically going for the kill. It's good that you recognized what you were doing, as long as you're willing to admit you have room to improve, you will. I know I've got plenty of room.

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al

"Is glas iad na cnoic i bhfad uainn."
-Distant hills look green.
Re: Grey Assassins and Role Play 09/19/2005 12:22 PM CDT
Yea, to me, 'grey assassin' equated to 'field goblin' in terms of how I should have handled the situation
Re: Grey Assassins and Role Play 12/10/2007 02:03 PM CST
Well, I am a noob paladin and all but isnt the Halt spell supposed to be used as a pre-emptive to the ask now kill later.. Scenerio:

you see a grey assassin
you yell at them to stop
they run
you lose them.
end of story.

Scenerio 2:

you see a grey assassin
you snap off halt
they, annoyed assuredly, explain what is going on.
you humbly apologize
halt wears off.. and you are far away when that happens.