Magic/Soul/Reqs/Shields 02/19/2003 08:13 PM CST
SOULSTONES/SOUL HIT/MAGIC
Clynlyn says, "Can you add soul stones to the normal treasure system, its not 1996 anymore, there are so many more paladins, and tortured souls by and by do not give out enough stones compared to the effort put in. * Can the soul hit be removed on killing another player specially through retaliation of there actions. * And last thing is it possible for paladins to have a makers mark plate or something where we can mark our dies , so paladins and others will know who the smiths are? * Applied for GM a few times, but I think they believe I have a character flaw, a personal policy to kill all pocket foragers."
Roderigo says, "Erm, on soul stones, possibly. I'll put that on the think about it list."
Roderigo says, "Depending upon what you're retaliating for, I did remove the soul hit in many cases. Certain other things may be hard to recognize mechanically."
Clynlyn says, "yeah i meant… when we kill em… right now if someone killed my wife…and i kill em…the kill soul hit is still there… sorta penalizes me for retaliation"

Roderigo says, "That would require the system to know she's your wife and that you're retaliating for that. Could be possible in some cases, probably not all."
Clynlyn says, "then the point of a double soul hit should be removed…shouldnt recieve one for death…just first strike"
Roderigo says, "I'll look at that one."
Clynlyn says, "and lsat thing …damissak told us about the discrepencies on magic…and he said he wouldnt give it away…but that it has to do with keeping people tied to the paladin for paladin magic…there were people … that would use us for tournies and hunts"
Roderigo says, "I'm pretty sure there either already are or will be maker's marks for armor. If there aren't yet, I'll remind the appropriate person."
Clynlyn says, "and log us off…like were a robot"
Roderigo asks, "Not sure what you're last comment meant. Essentially a pet paladin for courage and stuff?"
Clynlyn says, "well…the way spells worked before…anyone could just get a courage…a divine armo that last 30 minutes…etc…if you wanna continue to recieve the benefits of our spells…you have to actually hunt with us…thats why it works better for us…than on others…thats what i got out of his post"
Roderigo nods to Clynlyn.
Clynlyn says, "but since D man did our spells…he'll know for a fact"

CIRCLE REQS/MAGIC/SHIELDS
Sedulu says, "my question is to due with the new req for circling when will it go effective and also why cant our magic be like before i feel we are more like barbs than paladin…and my next question is roderigo may i ask that can i has ye shield <g> or can we be allowed to make shields in metal form and also if ye can put war and wall or even jousting shield in paladin shop as crest to the paladin as we are first in line to defend"
Roderigo says, "New reqs - that depends on when it gets stuck into the system. It sounds like it should be relatively soon, but it's not under my control, so I can't give you a precise deadline on it."
Sedulu says, "or a quest fer a sheild…also when are we getting back hoj and also is my hoj scroll can be use i cant decipher it"
Roderigo says, "The changes in magic are mostly due to rebalancing the whole magic system and putting in caps in certain places. Some tweaks may still be possible is it turns out things got weakened more than necessary. That would have be done on a case by case basis. The changes in general weren't optional for any guild."
Sedulu says, "err meant a holy quest shield"
Roderigo says, "Barbs are cool, cept they need to take more baths."
Sedulu says, "we can give favos like a cleric and we can hunt like a barb where is the paladin"
Roderigo says, "No, can't have my shield. Even I can't have my shield. I don't think we can put those super shields in the shop for the same reason Maece said earlier. We're pretty much limited to "standard" quality stuff in what we can sell and create as far as weapons and armor goes currently. That may change at some point, but that's been the rule for a good while."
Sedulu says, "the stuff ye has in our shop should be heck of lot cheaper since forge is better and is cheaper so shoudnt pretty stuff that isnt doing no one any good"
Maece says, “Prices are set based on what the item is made of."
Roderigo says, "I'm not sure when HoJ will be back. It's probably waited to last among ours because there's a long standing bug in it that I asked that we make sure we squash when we rerelease it."
Maece says, “But I've been trying to be very conscious about items since the festival golden shield incident."
Sedulu says, "i would buy a jousting shield in our shop bearing our crest…then some tower shield like theren "
Maece says, “Definitely post your shop ideas on the boards or send me emails. I'm ALWAYS looking for thoughts and ideas on the subject."
Roderigo says, "I would buy a jousting shield with a picture of an egg-salad sandwich on it. Those things are great."

HEROIC STRENGTH
Calemnon says, "This is an issue that kind of bugs me... I've mentioned it in passing but with little response. It revolves around our Heroic Strength spell... I know you aren't too focused on magic, Roderigo... I'd just like to see some of our spells made more combat usable...Right now, Heroic Strength is only really useful in forging... About 90% of the paladins I know find it completely useless to them"

Roderigo asks, "It wasn't one of my faves either. Do you have some suggestions for it?"
Calemnon says, "If we were to remove the held-mana aspect, though, it would be very useful in combat. A strength boost is always a good idea... but the whole nerve damage issue makes it not worth casting right now. Maybe give it a duration similar to RW, and a strength boost similar to the stamina boost of courage, only harder to cast... A younger paladin would find the decreased roundtime from a few extra strength to be very helpful. Or possibly using the mana from focused cambrinth items rather than held to cause nerve damage"
Roderigo says, "That's worth thinking about. "
Calemnon says, "I really think it'd be worth looking into... I'd like to be able to fight with it. That's really my only concern.... still boosting strength, but a regular spell rather than held-mana"
Roderigo says, "Getting a faster swing could definitely be valuable. We'll check that out."

MAGIC
Tyden says, "First on spells, We had a run on removing penalties from our spells which was wonderful but they forgot a few first RW's defensive penalty. Second is SR for whatever reason an evasion boost for paladins is a bad thing if we remove the offensive penalty SR could very well give us that (and no extra coding needed). Next is in regards to power pool, cirlce seems to play the largest role in how large the pool is, how about having charisma factor into how fast the pool actually fills. And lastly Lead is currently our largest hit to our power pools yet is one of our shortest abilites any chance on bringing the hit more in line with GOM."
Tyden says, "someday ill figure out how you guys split it all up"
Roderigo says, "I don't think it was intended that all the spell penalties be removed. I'm sure it's supposed to be in Sentinel's Resolve. It's part of the spell description that it lowers offense while improving defense. And actually, it would prevent one of the uses of the spell if that went away."
Tyden says, "i could live with that"
Roderigo says, "Without getting into what the power pool formula is, it's not really that circle is the biggest factor. Part of why it looks that way is that some of the other factors also tend to increase with circle. Charisma is in there. And soul state is a very big deal in it. I'll look at the cost for Lead, but off the top of my head I don't think it's really horribly short now. Part of the problem was before the change, it was just too long considering you can use it over and over again now. I saw some Paladins that pretty much never had to take it down once we had the power pool going."

Roderigo says, "I want you to be able to use it a lot, but all the time just isn't going to fly."
Tyden says, "yeah it lasted a half hour for me then, but now its 10 minutes with a 50 minute recoupe time "
Roderigo says, "With a high soul, I'm sure you can do more than one without emptying your pool."
Tyden says, "sorry meant per lead… just seems like alot of waiting for a short burst…specially in an invasion "
Roderigo says, "10 minutes isn't bad for abilities lately. Other guilds had similar things done. Dances, for example. Plus, as I said, since you can lead more than once out of a good pool, you could get more than the 10 minutes' worth in an invasion if you wanted to. But, in general, yeah, it needs to work that way. If the pool filled up as soon as you used it, then it wouldn't really be a "cost" at all."
Tyden says, "course not but perhaps a half hour like GOM rather then close to an hour"

MAGIC
Candidus says, "Rod and Maece thanks for having the meeting. I will ramble on a bit at first in leading up to my question - for that I apologize ahead of time. I will try to be brief and will say when I am finished so you both know. I asked this question when GM Rigby was reading our Magic folder and had answered a few questions - but unfortunately he must have got busy and not seen the question. So I will ask it here and now."
Candidus asks, "Of our spells quite a few of them are directed at being able to benefit other people. I see this as one of the roles of our guild as well. Why is it then that our three spells that can be of great use in this area - Divine armor, Antistun, and Sentinel's Resolve - are weakened duration wise when cast upon other guilds?"
Candidus says, "I have done tests with ALL guilds magics of a defensive/aiding nature. And paladins are alone in this regard. For the same amount of mana, we get half of the duration when cast upon other guilds. The arguement that "it is due to the nature of our magic with regards to our soul"... I just do not see that as a valid arguement considering that Clerics have Devotion and it factors into their spells."

Candidus says, "But besides that - it is the very nature of these spells. They are all defensive in nature. Perhaps make Antistun so that it works the old way on other guilds. Divine armor - it is difficult for a paladin to keep it going full time on himself, let alone others. And with a max duration of 32 minutes I do not see this as being overbalancing."
Candidus says, "And these arguements go nowhere to explain why Sentinel's Resolve is halved in duration for the same power. This is just pure illogic at it's worst. SR is a pure defensive spell, primarily of use when training with an empath friend. There are other uses for it of course, but that was primarily how I used it. And at a max cast of 15-20 minutes on ourselves, halfing this makes the spell very ineffective to say the least."
Candidus says, "So my question after all of that long windedness is: What is the reasoning behind these three spells being half in duration for the same power? And I will point out again NO other guild suffers from such penalities."
Roderigo says, "At the risk of causing a riot, I'll be frank. Beat the heck outta me."
Candidus says, "I always appreciate frankness."
Roderigo says, "er beats. That wasn't a command."
Roderigo says, "About all I can say to that is I'll investigate."
Candidus says, "I did post my results on our magic folder. I can email my results to you both if that would help."
Maece says, “Go ahead and do that, we can make sure Team Magic gets it too."
Candidus says, "I'll go ahead and double check warmie spells just to have a complete study. Thanks guys."