Guild Definition/Council 02/19/2003 08:04 PM CST
COUNCIL/DEFINITION OF PALADIN
Blasword says, "How authoritative are council members on the definition of being a paladin? What i mean is, if paladins are created by the gods, then it woudl seem to me that a council doesnt define paladins as much as it regulates teachings...could council members be biased in some aspects or even incorrect in some things they say? Like about worship. I also wanted to ask a question about holy issues and undead, but i guess i'd rather ask the former if i can only ask one"

Roderigo says, "Well, Council members aren't gods, so certainly they can have imperfections. Generally speaking, they know what they're talking about regarding paladin issues, but that isn't to say that they could never be wrong."

Blasword says, "they explained that trothfang's rally was named because it had a penalty, but it seems trothfang decided to take out that penalty...so the council was wrong. I didnt expect my question to be answered so easily… but about dark paladins… that paladins can only worship, but not do anything else with dark gods… if a guild were to do that, wouldnt they be encur the wrath of the gods themselves?"

Roderigo says, "Well, that may come down to semantics. The bottom line is that Paladin are "good" by definition. i agree… I think a lot of positive stuff can be derived from focusing on the dark gods though… abilities derived from the dark gods could combat deficiencies..or curses."

Roderigo asks, "Would we really want to add combat deficiencies?"
Blasword says, "I remember on the boards we used to theorize that shatter was a spell derived from kertigen's dark aspect...no no, to combat deficiencies!"

Roderigo says, "I think the idea is that whatever abilities we have, they should be used to further good ends. I suppose it depends upon how you mean "dark""
Maece says, “I'm thinking this type of topic really should remain on the boards or a focused session on it. This debate could go a long time."
Roderigo says, "Certainly a paladin could be grim"

Blasword asks, "are we going to be working on expanding into dealing with undead at all? and what about spirit spells… I know thats been a topic since chill spirit has come out… or not even spirit spells, spirit abilities"
Roderigo says, "We haven't discussed any. I suppose it's possible. I think the Cleric team would need to be consulted on some of that."
Blasword says, "I hate that we have to ask the cleric team permission for the other half of being a paladin"

Roderigo says, "They have a particular interest in undead, although I think it's reasonable for us to fight undead since they're generally evil and we fight evil"

GUILD DEFINITION
Shivus says, "My question is partly a comment as well. My question concerns when our guild is going to finally establish our "niche." We have been told we are masters of defense, yet evasion/parry/MO all defensive skills in the purest sense are not primary skills for us, we get a defensive skill (stance points) and share it with an offensive guild (barbs). Yet when we ask for offensive stuff we are told we are defensive, when we ask for holy, clerics fight us every step. When is our guild going to finally stand up, claim what we are, and then ensure that it remains ours, we separate and keep other guilds off our turf as they do with us now?"
Shivus says, "Our holy weapons have to be recharged because clerics were upset if we got a perma bless it would infringe on their territory, yet we are a holy guild and this weapon is a one time deal that cant be passed on to any others."
Shivus asks, "GM's say all guilds overlap, yet when we try to expand what seems to be natural for our guild to have (holy weaps, holy stuff, combat stuff) other guilds are there telling us we cant because it's their turf. Yet when they want stuff that seems to be our turf we are a welcome mat and they take what they want example being defensive stance points, why is a barb getting the same bonus a paladin does, where is our advantage here?"
Shivus says, "If we are masters of armor, then exactly how can we demonstrate this, right now as people grow GM's just upped how hard creatures hit, which basically neutralizes our armor and thus reduces our guild advantage. It seems like we have no set turf and I really think our guild needs to make a stand on what we do best and then start taking steps to show that and limit other guilds for the time being from encroaching upon that turf."

Roderigo says, "A few comments on that. Some of the things that are traditionally "ours" like armor could use some beefing up. We're working on that."
Shivus says, "I'm not saying this is a problem from our team, but more that other GM's in higher positions and other guilds do not respect our guild as they should"

Roderigo says, "I do understand what you're talking about. As far as building a niche goes, that's part of what we want to do with our definition of the guild stuff, although I understand you're also talking about active abilities and not just RP areas. Hopefully some of that concern will go away as we add more things."
Shivus says, "Thing is. When are the other GM's going to recognize us? Clerics have fought us tooth and nail, barbs dont seem to care if they get our defensive stuff just as long as we dont get offensive, this is not just abilities, it's about GM's accepting our space to exist in having our niche"

Roderigo says, "As to "turf," the guild staff as whole is probably moving away from that. As GM Maelona, our boss, has said recently, there are just a limited number of totally unique things that we can build abilities around. Ultimately we all have to share."
Shivus says, "We can state we have a niche, as GM's have told us we do the last 5 years I've been here, but until they respect that niche it means nothing really"

Roderigo says, "I think the answer to that is, part of it will have to come from us filling in our core areas with more good stuff and part of it will come from a certain degree of relaxation of the guild "turf" concept with respect to other areas we'd like some access to."
Shivus asks, "Does this mean cleric GM's are going to recognize we are actually a holy guild too?"
Roderigo says, "I think they understand that. We may need to do a little friendly negotiation, but really they're pretty reasonable."

Maece says, “Just to interject, there is talk about future projects with the clerics too."
Shivus says, "Perhaps we could change the recharge clause on our holy weapons in time, or change the one time only at least. As we negotiate"

Roderigo says, "That's not totally due to them. I'm willing to think about some changes to Holy Weapons. Even if those aspects don't change, which they may not, I definitely would like to give them more features. They are a pretty major pain to get."