Any armorsmiths around? 10/09/2013 09:49 PM CDT
Hi!

I stopped playing a long time ago, but decided to start again.

I've noticed that my former mix of heavy and light plate is now plate and brigandine.

If I'm not mistaken, this gives an armor mixing penalty, and as I am not a Paladin this makes me :(

If I am wrong about the penalty, or if anyone is able to forge some high quality greaves and gauntlets, I would greatly appreciate it!

I'm by no means rich, but I should be able to pay fairly. Armor is more important than fest savings!
Re: Any armorsmiths around? 10/09/2013 11:33 PM CDT
Feel free to send me an IM at CasserahDR. If I can't make what you're looking for, I can probably recommend some people for you.
Re: Any armorsmiths around? 10/10/2013 11:47 AM CDT
>If I'm not mistaken, this gives an armor mixing penalty, and as I am not a Paladin this makes me :(

Welcome back!

You should try a few different armor setups. The mixing penalty for only 2 armor types isn't terribly punitive. I know at least a few people who run a 2-armor setup and see the same appraisal hindrance as a single armor setup and experience no perceivable difference in practice. I still mix light armor and chain on my thief for the same reasons.

If you're in an armor tertiary guild, you may that heavy armor is generally less favorable. Some have dropped it altogether, saying it's no longer viable, while others are saying you get hit more but the increase in survivability more than balance things out. I suspect stats, specifically stamina, and physical damage warding buffs play a role in individuals' mileage but don't have data to back it up.

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Combat%20-%20Weapons%20and%20Armor/Plate%20Armor/thread/1575085?get_newest=true
Re: Any armorsmiths around? 10/10/2013 02:24 PM CDT
For a non-Paladin, I'd suggest a mostly chain, swap greaves of all the other armors setup. For PVP, play to strengths (stealthies might find more milage in light armor). The greave swapping method will allow you to train all four without completely punishing yourself hinderance wise, and maintain solid protection on the bulk of your body. Another bonus, leg damage rarely stuns, so the lower ranked/less protective armors there aren't game breaking.

As for finding crafters, there's a BUNCH of great smiths out there. As he just did me a solid, I'll take a moment and plug Elfverhan's work, especially in rare metal plate. If you get truly desperate you can drop me a line (my AIM is in my IG Profile) and I can do most things in metal, but as I'm lazy I charge more. If you frequent the areas around Shard, check Secretia's shop too.

Good luck, welcome back, and happy armor swapping.

Samsaren
Re: Any armorsmiths around? 10/10/2013 07:01 PM CDT
I play a cleric, which means a few things, chief among them being that lower hindrance is (probably) a must. I wear plate cause I like the concept, efficiency be damned! But not too dammed, cause I don't want to die :(

it also means that stealth isn't really something the guild caters to, and damage reduction buffs are plentiful. And, I am told, powerful. It worked out fairly well to 100ish ranks in the old system, so I am hoping to be at least mildly viable in plate in the new one.
Re: Any armorsmiths around? 10/10/2013 08:36 PM CDT
From what I've been hearing from Warrior Mages, you'll get hurt more in plate than in chain in the new system. You may want to at least consider training chain up.
Re: Any armorsmiths around? 10/10/2013 08:44 PM CDT
Sad day ;_;
Re: Any armorsmiths around? 10/10/2013 08:59 PM CDT
I suppose in that case for the moment I will see how things go with the gear that I do have, and decide what to do from there. I wouldn't want someone to go to the trouble of making me something only to need to switch to chain.
Re: Any armorsmiths around? 10/10/2013 09:45 PM CDT
Well that didn't take long at all.

Perhaps it's the low ranks (120), perhaps it's that it's old (though still player-made) armor, but either way I'm currently almost better off unarmored. The hits don't hurt much, but every single one is light or better where before they would have been mostly glancing.

I guess I'll be backtraining chain for awhile...

I'd reroll Paladin but I really like violently ripping the souls out of stuff, and I don't think you guys generally do that :(
Re: Any armorsmiths around? 10/10/2013 10:26 PM CDT
I should prooooobably delete my previous post in shame, because I just realized that I was wearing my shield on my shoulder, which as it turns out is a pretty poor way to try to block attacks.

I also noticed that the mixing penalty for plate and brigandine is large. Like, very large. If I wear my plate helm I am insignificantly hindered; add plate armor that apps as 'somewhat hindered' and I end up at 'somewhat hindered'.

Add brigandine gauntlets, which app as 'barely hindered' INSTEAD of the body-covering plate, and I end up at 'somewhat hindered' anyway.

But I am excited about the possibility of not having to ditch plate :D
Re: Any armorsmiths around? 10/11/2013 12:07 AM CDT
Plate for a cleric isn't viable. Go light Armor or lumium chain at the most and swap greaves to train all Armor types. Even Damite chain is pushing it.
Re: Any armorsmiths around? 10/11/2013 10:23 AM CDT
>Perhaps it's the low ranks (120), perhaps it's that it's old (though still player-made) armor, but either way I'm currently almost better off unarmored. The hits don't hurt much, but every single one is light or better where before they would have been mostly glancing.

That may be, at least in part, due to general 3.0 combat changes. Things I could hunt previously without issue on other characters can really beat on them now.

You should give shield of light a try. It buffs shield skill and eventually allows you to arm-wear a medium shield.

On the bright side, clerics are still very strong defensively, but their strength lies in spells. with MPP and MAF, that chain will protect better than plate. Plus, your warding and debilitation arsenal is terrific.
Re: Any armorsmiths around? 10/11/2013 11:18 AM CDT
At least at the current ranks and testing against those particular creatures, the entire problem was that I was unintentionally attempting to use strictly evasion and no other defenses. Adjust my shield fixed it.

Whoops.
Re: Any armorsmiths around? 10/11/2013 11:46 AM CDT

>>> the entire problem was that I was unintentionally attempting to use strictly evasion and no other defenses. Adjust my shield fixed it.

Although I have more experience as a Moon Mage since my Cleric is fairly low level (30ish), I have found that a shield/parry defence is viable if no ranged attackers are involved. I can train evasion by adding a small amount of evasion into my defensive stance. I do use chain solely, however.
Re: Any armorsmiths around? 10/11/2013 12:27 PM CDT
plug to Wryhk:

he got me some chain armor that's extremely light, but protects reasonably well;
with 98 ranks in armor, I've fully covered with chain and have light hindrance, with good/high for puncture and slice, and mod/high for impact. and that's on every body part with only 3 pieces of armor.

also, it's REALLY cheap stuff, total appraisal is only like 18 plat

>The shadowling exclaims, "Mana neeto!"