So are the top caps on plate pretty much being met? 05/24/2006 12:03 AM CDT
I am learning HP well along with my shield, but the problem is, shield is my primary armor, so HP is just gaining to raise it up. My goal in TF was to be one of, yes, one of the best forgers in any instance. So my question is, are prime players up around the cap as far as plate is concerned? I want to train up some HC or LC to the levels my plate is at, but dont know if I want to keep chugging along in plate. Since I dont use it to cirle, is it worth my time as far as forging is concerned? Think caps will change during forging 2.0?

Thanks
Re: So are the top caps on plate pretty much being met? 05/24/2006 06:25 AM CDT
>Since I dont use it to cirle, is it worth my time as far as forging is concerned?

At present, it doesn't take much more than 300 and a dusty mix to hit caps. Almost anyone and his Mother can forge some capped items from 200 on with enough mech to not break stuff.

>is it worth my time as far as forging is concerned?

Oh gods I surely hope it will be. See my first answer for why. I'd like to see much harder templates, everything I analyze is 'an easy piece to make'. Spread out the skills required to cap, let the little guys make the little stuff, and the big guys make the big stuff. I'm not sure how that transfers to barbs/weapons, but for armor it makes sense.

>Think caps will change during forging 2.0?

I have a couple of separate thoughts on this.

The first is I would think so for some pieces; but there is very little room at the top to expand caps. Considering the progression of protections from what should be LC/LP -> HC/HP (instead of the present LC/HC->LP/HP), add in bone and cloth, and you can see that great on HP (extreme with Kertig or DA) is about as high as it can reasonably get. Yes there is godlike, but I'd think it'd be quite the extreme to forge godlike. Along this mode, it seems to me (imho) that leather and LC will take a hit to spread out cloth, bone, leather chains and plates more evenly.

The second thought is purely speculation and probably a dash of wishful thinking. If the appraisal ranges were given an overhaul prior to, or at the same time to provide more granularity to the ranges... well then, the caps would surely change to new descriptions, but would allow more pro/con per armor type. In other words, we know to make better elemental protections we have to do X, sacrificing some impact/slice/puncture and/or construction in the process. A good smith would be able to tailor his mix to needs of the client expanding smithing. Of course, if there was actually a need to have fire/ice/electricity protection, or armor damaged more easily, this would really make for a nicer system.
Re: So are the top caps on plate pretty much being met? 05/24/2006 07:54 AM CDT
I don't know how the templates will change but expect to need more skill to hit the caps when forging changes.

Something along the lines of tanning (~500 in the armor and 400 mech to cap the best of the best patterns)

-Teeklin

This post (including the signature) is in no way meant to offend anyone nor is it an attempt to troll or be "cute". Hopefully my opinions do not conflict with yours in any way.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?