Recommended weapon for Holy Weapon? 01/11/2018 01:07 PM CST
Hello all,

First time paladin to 50 here, and looking to do the holy weapon quest. Can anyone give pointers on weapons I should or should not use, especially with the recent changes?

The top two weapons I'm considering are the bonded mallet and spear from the Talidon (s?) event of a few years ago. I'm not sure if the bonded (script?) is compatible with the quest, or if it's recommended even if it works.

Both of them are my daily hunters, though. If it's not recommended to use them for daily hunting, I would probably use the mallet: a bonded, hurlable, holy weapon that can strike non-corporeal undead, and invoke the return.

Also, are there any considerations for F2P users? I apparently need to purchase visas to all four provinces, which bugs me a bit... I've purchased visa once before to visit an area, but purchasing 4 to do a quest and not have time to visit all those areas... well, it bothers me a bit.

Thank you in advance for input,

Mithgrek, player of.
Re: Recommended weapon for Holy Weapon? 01/11/2018 01:45 PM CST
>>The top two weapons I'm considering are the bonded mallet and spear from the Talidon (s?) event of a few years ago. I'm not sure if the bonded (script?) is compatible with the quest, or if it's recommended even if it works.

I think you're talking about the bonded weapons from the Wise Weapons store at Taisidon Safari.

I wouldn't personally suggest using those, because while they are bonded weapons (which is neat!), they have T4 stats: which is essentially high steel. I'd consider either something crafted out of a T6 material, like tyrium, or a T6 quest/microtransaction-event prize, and then using a bonding potion on it.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Recommended weapon for Holy Weapon? 01/11/2018 01:55 PM CST
The good news: These days you can replace with weapon once a year(yeah, 365 days), and it doesn't destroy the old one anymore. Gives you a tad more flexibility.

I would suggest the biggest, baddest weapon of your favorite class. With the QoL changes HW's have seen of late there's minimal risk involved, and you might as well get the most bang for the buck.

Samsaren
Re: Recommended weapon for Holy Weapon? 01/11/2018 02:08 PM CST

I've never bothered with holy weapons because they seem more hassle than they're worth. Why would I want one?
Re: Recommended weapon for Holy Weapon? 01/11/2018 02:30 PM CST
>>Why would I want one?

Because they're cool. They're also far less restrictive now, and while the charge seems a little weak initially, it's one that scales well with circle/stats. Also, they're cool.

Samsaren
Re: Recommended weapon for Holy Weapon? 01/11/2018 02:42 PM CST
>If it's not recommended to use them for daily hunting, I would probably use the mallet: a bonded, hurlable, holy weapon that can strike non-corporeal undead, and invoke the return.

Just a quick note on this. Using it as a daily hunter when you first get it is probably not doable without significant inconvenience because the number of strikes will be quite limited. That's of course unless you have a rare holy icon to help you recharge it. There's also the issue of limited recharging locations if you don't have a holy icon. Other than that, I agree with everyone. I'd go for the best weapon I have even if that means using weaker weapons for regular hunting.
Re: Recommended weapon for Holy Weapon? 01/11/2018 03:06 PM CST

Yes, that is the store and event where I picked it up.

I'm not familiar with the tiering structure, but the construction seems much harder than that of medium steel, at least for the weapon I picked up:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Weapon:Heavy_steel_mallet_with_an_oak_handle

With an extreme impact and an extremely well force of impact, this looks like far more bang for the weight than the comparable crafted weapon, even at a rare metal at max weight:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Weapon:Greathammer_(crafted)

Before this event, I was looking for Caraamon to forge a blunt from some haralun (s?) I mined, but when I saw this mallet I picked it up. I don't see how a crafted weapon could compare, especially at only 50 stones (and I was circle 30 something at the time, with about that in my strength stat).

Tyrium is out of my league; far, far, out of my league, from what I hear on pricing.

Does a bonding potion behave like these weapons, or like the paladin bond armor spell? My understanding was that BA would only invoke within the room. (Another perk of this Taisidon event was that it saved me two spell slots in no longer needing BA).

Thank you,

Mithgrek, player of.
Re: Recommended weapon for Holy Weapon? 01/11/2018 03:10 PM CST
>>Mithgrek: First time paladin to 50 here, and looking to do the holy weapon quest. Can anyone give pointers on weapons I should or should not use, especially with the recent changes?

I tend to recommend something on the heavier end of what you can effectively use, as each strike costs a charge. (It's better to spend those charges on heavy hits with a greatsword than glancing blows with a rapier.)

Picking something from your top weapon skill is nice, because on quests where monsters flex to your top weapon skill, your best weapon will not end up being useless due to having lower ranks.

I use a flamberge (same template as greatsword), because it's 2HE (my top weapon skill) and pole-ranged. Heavy polearms also make nice holy weapons.

>>Mithgrek: The top two weapons I'm considering are the bonded mallet and spear from the Talidon (s?) event of a few years ago. I'm not sure if the bonded (script?) is compatible with the quest, or if it's recommended even if it works.

You can use any melee or thrown weapon, provided it doesn't have a special script that is incompatible with the holy weapon script.

I'm not sure if that bonding script is compatible with the holy weapon script. You might want to experiment in Test.

>>2dumbarse: Just a quick note on this. Using it as a daily hunter when you first get it is probably not doable without significant inconvenience because the number of strikes will be quite limited.

Holy weapons are usable for daily hunting now that you aren't penalized for letting the holy weapon run out of charges. (It just functions as a normal weapon until you recharge it.) Granted, it won't have a lot of holy strikes at 50th circle, but there is not reason not to use it as a hunting weapon.

I wouldn't have recommended using it as a hunting weapon before these changes, as it used to require you to recharge the weapon twice with no use between rechargings. (And it took 5 minutes to recharge at an altar with a 60-minute cooldown between rechargings.)

>>Shift3: I've never bothered with holy weapons because they seem more hassle than they're worth. Why would I want one?

Besides the RP aspect, a holy weapon has an increase to accuracy and damage. It grows with you (circle and charisma), eventually becoming more powerful than a standard Bless. (It also has more charges than Bless.)

Most of the worst hassles have been removed, the biggest offender being the penalty for letting a holy weapon run out of charges. Plus, portable icons are easier to find than before.

And you no longer have to worry about potentially destroying a special weapon should you decide to change your holy weapon later. (The holy weapon changing quest used to destroy the old weapon in the process. Now it just reverts to a standard weapon.)

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Paladin new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Paladin_new_player_guide

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: Recommended weapon for Holy Weapon? 01/11/2018 03:23 PM CST
I have a question for you wise paladins. So, let's say I have a "friend" who's tried but failed to acquire a holy icon at a pay quest. Where might this friend, who is totally not I, acquire said icon?
Re: Recommended weapon for Holy Weapon? 01/11/2018 03:58 PM CST
>>I have a question for you wise paladins. So, let's say I have a "friend" who's tried but failed to acquire a holy icon at a pay quest. Where might this friend, who is totally not I, acquire said icon?

If you can't buy one from another player, I feel like they pop up pretty often as prizes during simucoin events (and general quests!). I feel like they're a lot more common than they were a few years ago.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Recommended weapon for Holy Weapon? 01/11/2018 04:10 PM CST
>>I'm not familiar with the tiering structure, but the construction seems much harder than that of medium steel, at least for the weapon I picked up:

You know what, I only looked closely at the spear option, which was T4 – https://elanthipedia.play.net/Weapon:Haon-hafted_hunting_spear_adorned_with_parrot_feathers – and you're totally that the mallet does look T5, which is similar to kertig/haralun/etc.

>>Tyrium is out of my league; far, far, out of my league, from what I hear on pricing.

Honestly, depending on what you'd be comfortable paying real money for (it sounds like you're F2P, but you'd also sometimes spend money to go on something like safari), you might want to check out the end prizes at a simucoin event in the coming months and seeing if there are any T6 weapons that seem interesting/affordable to you. You won't get the full customization of a crafted weapon, but most end-prizes these days (to my own regret!) have density at 5 (or greater!), so if you like the idea of swinging a big weapon around, or a weapon you'd like to grow into, they'd be a nice fit.

>>Does a bonding potion behave like these weapons, or like the paladin bond armor spell?

I think bonding potions behave like those weapons, where you can invoke them even if they're not in the same room as you. BUT I believe bonding potions changed in the last... at some point... so you can't use them to just INVOKE a thrown weapon back into your hand machine-gun style in order to unlodge it from whatever you stick it into. I'm not sure if you use your bonded spear/mallet that way, though (or if bonding potions changed again since then... I just stick to non-lodging weapons as a personal preference so I never used bonding potions them that way).

Re: Recommended weapon for Holy Weapon? 01/11/2018 04:17 PM CST

> Just a quick note on this. Using it as a daily hunter when you first get it is probably not doable without significant inconvenience because the number of strikes will be quite limited. That's of course unless you have a rare holy icon to help you recharge it. There's also the issue of limited recharging locations if you don't have a holy icon. Other than that, I agree with everyone. I'd go for the best weapon I have even if that means using weaker weapons for regular hunting.

You know. These would be a lot more valuable if it was charged for time, let's say 30 RL days, rather than strikes.
Re: Recommended weapon for Holy Weapon? 01/11/2018 05:59 PM CST

Thanks for all the input.

My only account is F2P, but I play this way to p[l]ay as little as I want to for the time. I was a long-time subscriber of GS4, so Simu has plenty of money from me; I just don't want be locked in.

For the Safari, I was given a ticket by someone else; I wouldn't have paid myself. I didn't like the "hourly" system, and was too low-level to do much.

I'll plan to bond with this mallet, then, and craft a good daily hunter out of haralun.

FWIW, the bonds on these weapons can be invoked when lodged with a 1 second RT. It's not the 'machine gun' style I heard of before, but don't know how that compares to a bonding potion or the BA spell.

Now, to decide how to get these visas...

Mithgrek, player of.
Re: Recommended weapon for Holy Weapon? 02/02/2018 04:36 PM CST
All,

Following up on this: I completed the Holy Weapon quest yesterday and bonded to the bonded steel mallet from the Safari. So far, I'm really enjoying it. It's a good weapon, and both large blunt and heavy thrown (my two primary weapons). As a holy weapon, it can now hit non-corporeal undead so I can continue to train it in those areas. Also, as Holy Weapon gives a +to hit bonus, it helps offset the lack of ranged buff we have.

I've been hunting hard with it and haven't noticed charging issues, but I'm close to an altar and I do have an icon. After one long hunt, I dropped from shining (500+) to faintly glowing (350). My charisma is 35.

There wasn't much storyline in the quest, but I did enjoy what was there, especially from Sentinel [Redacted]'s friend. Other parts seem contrived, almost forced to fit together in a way to require travelling to all four provinces and all four visas.

Still, I'm enjoying the weapon, and it really fits the character. It really adds flavor as a paladin.

Moving in gracefully, you hurl a heavy steel mallet with an oak handle at a transparent shylvic. A transparent shylvic fails |
to evade. The mallet releases a deafening roar, calling out proudly to Chadatru and lands a very heavy hit (8/23) that |
explodes both shoulders with a blast to the upper back.

The steel mallet lodges itself deeply into the transparent shylvic! |
[You're nimbly balanced with opponent in strong position.] |
[Roundtime 5 sec.]

>invoke
A heavy steel mallet with an oak handle suddenly leaps from a transparent shylvic and flies toward you! You catch the
easily in your right hand. Roundtime: 1 sec.

Mithgrek, player of.
Re: Recommended weapon for Holy Weapon? 02/02/2018 07:21 PM CST
I feel that's a very good and accurate review of holy weapon. Thanks for posting it.

Given the choice as someone who already (FINALLY) has a holy icon, I would prefer if they were (more) available without pay. It really is a game-changer after Javac's updates. I mean, even if the more common holy icons are less potent if that's a necessity.
Re: Recommended weapon for Holy Weapon? 02/02/2018 09:24 PM CST

Is it a cool down per icon, or on the weapon itself?
Re: Recommended weapon for Holy Weapon? 02/03/2018 01:53 AM CST

> I mean, even if the more common holy icons are less potent if that's a necessity.

I agree. Maybe a paladin specific instruction with Enchanting, when it comes out.

Without an icon, I may avoid using it so I can have it when I need it. So far, I really haven't "needed" the icon, but it's convenient. I could have gone to the altar between hunts (which reminds me, I'm down to faintly glowing again), but I agree. Holy Weapon is a part of the paladin class, and the icon really enhances it.

For parity... I believe that TM Foci are planned for creation via Enchanting system. The ones at pay events may be superior, but a lesser item is still functional.

Mithgrek, player of.
Re: Recommended weapon for Holy Weapon? 02/03/2018 02:03 AM CST

>Is it a cool down per icon, or on the weapon itself?

The cool down is on the icon, not the weapon or glyph renew. I was able to charge a weapon at an altar, and then immediately use the icon. I was testing to see if I could stack charges, which I apparently can't, but using glyph renew twice on the same weapon had no issues.

Now, if you're asking what happens if you have multiple icons... I have no idea. Why would you need or want two icons? 500+ charges in a 1 hour period is plenty.

Mithgrek, player of.
Re: Recommended weapon for Holy Weapon? 02/03/2018 09:04 AM CST

> Now, if you're asking what happens if you have multiple icons... I have no idea. Why would you need or want two icons? 500+ charges in a 1 hour period is plenty.

I'm just gauging the possibilities.
Re: Recommended weapon for Holy Weapon? 02/03/2018 10:40 AM CST
More dakka.