New and Curious about Forging 02/16/2015 10:54 AM CST
Hello,
I am very new to the game and I was reading through the Elanthipedia and saw a lot of info on Forging. I like the idea of my young Paladin being able to craft his own armor and weapons, but is it really something that's going to be viable from the start? Also, it looks like it might be something of a money sink. What would I need to get started and when will it be viable for me to actually start using my own gear (as opposed to store-bought)?
Re: New and Curious about Forging 02/16/2015 12:01 PM CST
>>Also, it looks like it might be something of a money sink.<<

not really you will need a small amount of start capital and buy a few things. Work orders will soon pay for your gear and repairing them until you can repair your own.
I average about 1000 plats a week making armor.

M@c ~]X!j % %AN_rrWB5z4%p rBa =jZb*h[mp,0;pv` knIM%aJ|
WARNING: You are carrying an extremely large number of items on your person.
Having a very high number of items can cause character corruption or
Re: New and Curious about Forging 02/16/2015 12:18 PM CST
>a small amount of start capital and buy a few things

Yup, after the initial investment for an instruction book, tools, consumables (brushes, oils, etc.), and some raw metal to work with. You can generally start turning profit from square one. If you do your own mining, you can save yourself money by using the raw metal that you are able to dig up yourself. Likewise, if you invest in some high appraisal metals or dig them up yourself, you can maximize the payout from each work order you turn in.

Depending on the item you're making (how many volumes it takes, how difficult it is, how many you have to make, and how well you can make it) there is a lot of opportunity to make a significant amount of money. And since you need to use the skill anyways to train it, might as well use it during work orders and gain some profit while you train it.

Salute a drowned sailor? You ought to brush up on your protocol, Kasto.
Re: New and Curious about Forging 02/16/2015 01:08 PM CST
>And since you need to use the skill anyways to train it, might as well use it during work orders and gain some profit while you train it.<

Exactly, it's kind of a win-win.

As far as making your own armor to wear; Not at first. You won't be able to make any of the larger armor templates for a little while. Even then to make something better than store bought will take some time. I mean, you could do it if it's part of your RP. but for a while, at least, store bought will protect you better.

If you ever have any other questions and want to find Lennon in game, I'm happy to help you out with learning the system.

--Just a Squire
Re: New and Curious about Forging 02/16/2015 01:10 PM CST
>after the initial investment for an instruction book, tools, consumables (brushes, oils, etc.), and some raw metal to work with

What kind of investment are we talking about here? 1 platinum? 10? 100?

>If you do your own mining

That sounds good too! But where do I start? I realize I'm asking for a lot of info, but like I said, I'm really new to this.

I appreciate all the help so far
Re: New and Curious about Forging 02/16/2015 01:19 PM CST
>If you ever have any other questions and want to find Lennon in game, I'm happy to help you out with learning the system.

Thanks! I'll try to look you up some time. I'm still fresh off the wagon, so I'm bumbling around Crossing. But I'll keep my eyes peeled.
Re: New and Curious about Forging 02/16/2015 01:49 PM CST
>>after the initial investment for an instruction book, tools, consumables (brushes, oils, etc.), and some raw metal to work with

>What kind of investment are we talking about here? 1 platinum? 10? 100?

Let me do some quick math.
apprentice book - 625
logbook - 625
society hammer - 625
society tongs - 625
society shovel - 625
society pliers - 625
society stirring rod - 625
society bellows - 1,500
society oil - 1,000
So that's 6,875 kronar just for the basic tools you'll need. Bear in mind you'll have to buy oil again because it can be consumed, however you HAVE to have it for any forging project. Also if you decide not to make armor, then you don't need the pliers, but all other tools are MUST HAVE items.

Depending on what you do make, you'll have to buy other consumables like halfts, handles, backing, etc. etc. and those can range from 62 kronar to 625 kronar depending on which it is. Also you'll have to buy multiples of them so that you have as many as you need to complete the order.

On top of that, and most importantly, you need metal. Bronze is most beginners choice and that runs 562 kronar per five volume ingot. You'll probably need a few of these for your first order.

All in all, I think you can reasonably get everything you need to complete your first work order with under 3-5 platinum. Likely even less than that if some kind soul gives you some freebie tools.

>>If you do your own mining

>That sounds good too! But where do I start? I realize I'm asking for a lot of info, but like I said, I'm really new to this.

You can get all the information for mining as well as mining locations here: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Mining

Salute a drowned sailor? You ought to brush up on your protocol, Kasto.
Re: New and Curious about Forging 02/16/2015 04:40 PM CST
You can also come to the Mentor Crafting meeting that is being held tonight 11PM Eastern, if want some more questions, face to face answers, or just some more information from a different person.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: New and Curious about Forging 02/16/2015 05:20 PM CST

>just some more information from a different person.

Looks pretty spot on, that is pretty much everything I would pass on to someone new to the craft. The mentor meeting could be helpful in learning about metals and maybe the commands needed to use the tools and such, but other than that, hands-on time with it will be the best way to learn the ins and outs.

I'd be happy to walk you through things as well if you are foggy, but as I said before, the tips and info given already are standard practice. Forge happy!
Re: New and Curious about Forging 02/16/2015 07:52 PM CST
Thank you everyone for all of the info. Looks like all I need to do now is get started!

Thanks again, and hopefully I won't be back with even more questions.
Re: New and Curious about Forging 02/16/2015 10:01 PM CST
Only thing I'd add is, if you're not familiar with it, you can ask many of the NPCs around Crossings for a variety of TASKs to get starting money to buy the stuff you need to start crafting.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Task
Re: New and Curious about Forging 05/16/2015 10:03 AM CDT

> you can save yourself money by using the raw metal that you are able to dig up yourself.

I know this is a pretty old post, but I just wanted to say, as an ex-EVE Online player, this is one of my stickling points. Opportunity Cost - resources you mine yourself are not free.