Young Paladin 04/19/2010 12:04 PM CDT
I was sort of waiting for the new lore system to come out until I tried making my own armor. I was wondering if I could make armor under the present system. I have 115 in all four metal armors and 90 in mech lore. Could I actually forge any armor that is worth while?

Geldrad
Re: Young Paladin 04/19/2010 12:53 PM CDT
<< I was sort of waiting for the new lore system to come out until I tried making my own armor. I was wondering if I could make armor under the present system. I have 115 in all four metal armors and 90 in mech lore. Could I actually forge any armor that is worth while? >>

The low mech lore will be an issue, I am not sure you will be able to pound anything without breaking it.
Re: Young Paladin 04/19/2010 12:55 PM CDT
What kind of mech lore do you need?

Geldrad
Re: Young Paladin 04/19/2010 01:48 PM CDT
With those skills, you can probably make stuff. You need to double those ranks to start making good stuff. Stick with lower volume pieces like gauntlets and gloves, and lighter weight and you'll see higher quality or capped appraisals sooner than higher volume items like field plate.

Hows that hope and change working out for you?
Re: Young Paladin 04/19/2010 01:50 PM CDT
>and lighter weight and you'll see higher quality or capped appraisals sooner

I have to disagree on this. You may have a harder time distinguishing the differences in higher and lower quality lightweight items via appraisal, but weight is not a factor in forging difficulty or capping.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Young Paladin 04/19/2010 03:13 PM CDT
So it seems that I need about 200 in all four metal armors and 200 in mech lore? I don't really have a problem if this is the case. It just means I need to continue to work!

Geldrad
Re: Young Paladin 04/19/2010 03:35 PM CDT
Yes, that's about the base line when you really start to make armor that is higher quality than what you can find in any store.

Be sure to work your strength too if you are serious about forging, the less you have to pound it the less a chance there is for it to break (I've always assumed at least).

-Guardian Lord Alaxndr Durnovaria, Advocate of Therengia

"A knight is sworn to valor
His heart knows only virtue
His blade defends the helpless
His words speak only truth
His wrath undoes the wicked."
Re: Young Paladin 04/19/2010 03:50 PM CDT
I would imagine stamina too so you don't get tired out?

Geldrad
Re: Young Paladin 04/19/2010 04:28 PM CDT
Forging Factor Calculator: http://dr.six-something.org/ff.php

At least until Lore 2.0 is released!

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!
Re: Young Paladin 04/19/2010 04:42 PM CDT
I saw the calculator. What FF (Forging Factor) do I need? How do you apply the FF?

Geldrad

Paladin of Rutilor
Re: Young Paladin 04/19/2010 04:45 PM CDT
>>SHERWOODS5: What FF (Forging Factor) do I need? How do you apply the FF?

If it's true that you need about 200 ranks in armors and in mechanical lore, that would be a forging factor of 200. However, I'm not sure how the Paladin's armor forging bonus affects the requirements.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!
Re: Young Paladin 04/19/2010 06:20 PM CDT
Small sidebar:

<<You may have a harder time distinguishing the differences in higher and lower quality lightweight items via appraisal, but weight is not a factor in forging difficulty or capping.

You can achieve mod hindrance on the 150 stone chain shirt before you can do it on the 164. They will compare the same, except on hindrance, assuming you don't have enough ranks to get mod hindrance on a 164.

You most likely will not see high absorbs and mod hindrance on the 164 at the same FF/ranks you got the 150 mod absorbs/mod hindrance.

164mod strongmoderategood/highmod/highgood/highmod/goodfair/goodlow/good
150mod strongmoderategood/goodmod/goodgood/goodmod/goodfair/goodlow/good

I'm drawing from memory a bit, but I did make and sell quite a few of these and definitely recall testing lower weighted LC shirts to have the high absorbs and mod hindrance.

If its appraisal ranges causing this, which is likely because they will compare the same, then you'll have to explain how it is different at high weights.

Re: Young Paladin 04/19/2010 10:53 PM CDT
>If its appraisal ranges causing this, which is likely because they will compare the same, then you'll have to explain how it is different at high weights.

Because you aren't seeing the improvement on the heavier item since it isn't crossing an appraisal boundary.

For instance, say you hit mod hinderance at 225 FF (completely made up number). You won't see the further hinderance reduction of having 400 FF, except possibly via a comparison.

My numbers for armor aren't nearly as precise as weapons because I kinda lost steam, but the range of moderate hinderance is about 10. So you could reduce the base hinderance by as much as 9 and not see it in the appraisal. Reducing it by 10 would be fair base hinderance, which is probably lower than what the cap allows for special metals.

>describe boar
Re: Young Paladin 04/20/2010 09:58 AM CDT
>>I would imagine stamina too so you don't get tired out?

It's honestly been awhile since I've seriously forged, but with courage up I sure don't remember having an issue with stamina.

-Guardian Lord Alaxndr Durnovaria, Advocate of Therengia

"A knight is sworn to valor
His heart knows only virtue
His blade defends the helpless
His words speak only truth
His wrath undoes the wicked."
Re: Young Paladin 04/20/2010 11:20 AM CDT
Courage is good, because it definetly extends your stamina. I prefer to add Refresh and/or a Zephyr rune; they seem to pulse faster than courage. All 3 is a win.

You don't usually want to pound with any fatigue because you'r RT will increase. Higher strength will reduce the number of pounds required to finish an item, which ultimately means less chance of breakage. I say usually, only because the last pound is always 5 seconds, regardless of fatigue. Also, it used to be stated among forgers and teachers that pounding when fatigued increased chances of breakage -- whether or not that is true I don't know; I've broken so much stuff on every pound at many different heat levels and many different fatigue levels, I don't care -- breakage happens, a lot.

Re: Young Paladin 04/20/2010 12:00 PM CDT
Agreed. Refresh is especially powerful (so much so that it'll probably require a significant nerf if/when the new stamina model ever comes to fruition). The best thing to train to reduce breakage is strength. This is because, as previously mentioned, it increases the amount of forging per pound, which leads to fewer chances for breakage. Don't forget heroic strength.

>describe boar