Forging 07/20/2009 09:53 AM CDT
Are there plans to have metal type shields added to the pounds we currently have for smithing?

Also what is the future of smithing for paladins? It seems as far as armor forging goes we really aren't the true authority as rangers take leather and shields at the moment, traders will most likely have cloth(?), necros get bone(?) leaving us with HP/LP/HC/LC.

Thoughts?

Khohan
Re: Forging 07/20/2009 10:22 AM CDT
Forging is going to primarily based on Mech, with possibly some specific skills in the formula. My guess is that it stays pure Mech (just my guess and not final decision on the topic that I know of).

From that primary point, there are going to be molds/patterns/forms for compontents of armor and molds,etc..for the final pieces of the armor as I understand it.

The system will be open to everyone, but some guild perks will exist (as I understand the current concept). There will also be tech trees in place for forging. For example, you may want to specialize in the chain tech tree to reach the highest level of competency in that area.

Once again, this is all derived from the smithing folder in the lore folder. Do a search for Oolan's posts there and you will get a better feel for the proposed new system. I am rather going on memory at this point.

ETA is probably still pretty far off, but this is just my impression.

Madigan

Free the Paladin Guild in 2009.
Re: Forging 07/20/2009 11:56 AM CDT
Thanks Madigan for the info.

If its going to be a while, it would be nice to have metal shields in forging now as a bandaid. Hell I'd love to see a couple things thrown in current forging as a patch on things.

Anyways, thanks again Madigan for the reply.

Khohan
Re: Forging 07/20/2009 09:35 PM CDT
>>If its going to be a while, it would be nice to have metal shields in forging now as a bandaid. Hell I'd love to see a couple things thrown in current forging as a patch on things.

No argument here. It'd be nice. But bandaids and add-ons to the current system just aren't going to be happening unless it is to fix a game breaking error. The current system has a great many areas in which it is highly lacking in coverage or flawed in practice, but the time spent trying to cover those gaps AND get the balanced in the current system is time spent further delaying a much needed rewrite to get a more solid base in place.

GM Oolan Jeel

"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice."
- Richard Moore
Re: Forging 07/20/2009 10:28 PM CDT
/salute

Good to hear its still getting some love in the background. Thanks for the response Oolan.

Khohan
Re: Forging 07/21/2009 04:49 PM CDT
<<The current system has a great many areas in which it is highly lacking in coverage or flawed in practice, but the time spent trying to cover those gaps AND get the balanced in the current system is time spent further delaying a much needed rewrite to get a more solid base in place.>>

Hard to argue with that kind of pragmatism. Im interested in the possibilities of the rewrite which is pretty much the only reason I train mech. The idea of prydaen heavy plate cracks me up, assuming race specific creations is a option.

AKA Rumael

"Occam's Razor. The simplest explanation is almost always somebody screwed up." - Dr House
Re: Forging 07/21/2009 05:37 PM CDT
I look forward to the rewrite in so many ways. After leaving them coming back then getting the "me" back I'm awaiting to see the idea of player creation being tiered. So there is separation in what can be made. I'm hoping it scales really well and that there are reasons to train the skill beyond 500 ranks or even X ranks because items will get better.

I think all creation systems shouldn't cap so early.
Re: Forging 07/21/2009 05:46 PM CDT
>>Hard to argue with that kind of pragmatism. Im interested in the possibilities of the rewrite which is pretty much the only reason I train mech. The idea of prydaen heavy plate cracks me up, assuming race specific creations is a option.

Prydaens will be able to make heavy plate. However, racial lore will be a factor in what specific racial options will be opened and it is unlikely at best that there will be a Prydaen specific HP option. Sinuous armors for chain on the other hand may well be a possibility.

>>I look forward to the rewrite in so many ways. After leaving them coming back then getting the "me" back I'm awaiting to see the idea of player creation being tiered. So there is separation in what can be made. I'm hoping it scales really well and that there are reasons to train the skill beyond 500 ranks or even X ranks because items will get better.

>>I think all creation systems shouldn't cap so early.

QFT

GM Oolan Jeel

"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice."
- Richard Moore
Re: Forging 07/22/2009 08:43 AM CDT
FINE I'LL GO BACK UNDER MY BRIDGE THEN!
Forging Factors? 08/30/2009 06:22 PM CDT
So, as Belea progresses, I've become obsessed to an extent with watching my forging factor grow. However, I'm going to admit to ignorance --- I understand the forging factor formula, but I'm not sure what it means in the context of the game. Can anyone tell me the ranges required for capping, etc? What's considered a good or even decent forging factor, so that I can put mine into context.

Re: Forging Factors? 08/30/2009 07:42 PM CDT
I'm closing in on 250 FF over in Plat, and I haven't gotten great slice protection on field plate or half plate yet, up to 800 weight. I can cap helms and gauntlets with 8 density, not sure how low I can get the weight down on them yet.
Re: Forging Factors? 08/30/2009 07:58 PM CDT
Forging Factor is a player created formula that allows the player base an idea about certain benchmarks for capping items. However, it is not very accurate.

example:
300 Forging Factor pretty much means you can capp an items protection. Only if you know the right mixes.

Crusader Taghz

DFA = DISC + AGIL + TM > Evasion + Reflex

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.