When can you begin forging? 06/19/2009 11:45 AM CDT
I'm fairly new to the realms, just having hit 10th circle recently. I chose the path of the Paladin in part for eventually forging armor. I've read up on as much information I can find, but the one big question I still have is "When can I reasonably start?" Of course I realize anything I could make early on would probably pale in comparison to vendor-bought armor.

Right now the attendant won't even allow me to enter the Paladin forge in the Crossing ("Experienced holy brethren only"), and I'm sure my strength and stamina (both 15) would make pounding take forever, if not dangerously so. I am trying to keep my Mech Lore and Appraisal up with my armor skills (they're actually both a few ranks ahead of my Heavy Plate right now), but I'd appreciate any advice anyone has as far as skill/stat direction for when the time comes.
Re: When can you begin forging? 06/19/2009 02:46 PM CDT
200 Forging Factor is a good number to keep in mind for starting.

Madigan

Free the Paladin Guild in 2009.
Re: When can you begin forging? 06/19/2009 03:45 PM CDT
>I am trying to keep my Mech Lore and Appraisal up with my armor skills

Keeping your Mech Lore up with be paramount if/when the new crafting system comes out, as your success will likely be from your Smithing ranks (converted from your ML ranks).

Aveda's Field Guide- http://dr.aveda.googlepages.com
Re: When can you begin forging? 06/22/2009 04:06 PM CDT
>200 Forging Factor is a good number to keep in mind for starting.

Not sure that's a good help at this point, maybe you should get a bit more remedial? I personally have a rough idea on ranks, but no clue what FF actually combines at what weights.
Re: When can you begin forging? 06/22/2009 05:31 PM CDT
I think greaves are the easiest to forge. You'll be able to completely those before other things. Of course, there's a chance of breakage with any amount of skill.
Re: When can you begin forging? 06/22/2009 06:28 PM CDT
The most remedial answer is that you need an average of 200 in whatever you want to forge. For example, if you want to make plate stuff, LP/HP added together, divided by two should equal close to 200.

This is not the FF formula, but good enough to tell you a starting point. When you start forging, do gauntlets and greaves. Those are the easiest to make. Also, if you have an average of 200 in chain (LC/HC), then you should do chain gloves and chain greaves as those are easier than plate.

Madigan

Free the Paladin Guild in 2009.
Re: When can you begin forging? 06/23/2009 01:06 PM CDT
Thanks for the advice all!

I had heard the 200 FF number before, but thought it was where results just started to get good, not a baseline for where you could really succeed at anything.

I guess I've got a long road ahead of me before starting.
Re: When can you begin forging? 06/24/2009 10:19 AM CDT
you can forge with less then 200 ff. and with Rutilor's edge you can make a weapon... and then make it somewhat more viable to use. You will find that mechlore is very important at first, because you will break what you are attempting to make alot.

The heavier you make something, the better its stats will be up to a certain point. This is more obvious with weapons but does work to a lessar extent with armor as well. with weight though, comes greater hinderance and less balance respectively.

Despite what the GMs have stated, there ARE a few magical items that can boost one's performance in the forge still, so maybe try some things and see if they help.

As for good quality weapons and armor... yeah... you are a ways off... if you want to truely cap greaves(for appraisal) you need nearly 400 in the armor class you are attempting to make... and over 200 in the secondary armor class of that type along with over 200 in Mechlore
Re: When can you begin forging? 06/27/2009 02:44 PM CDT
Nice link to calculate Forging Factors.
http://dr.six-something.org/ff.php

Also there's a script that can do it, depending on if you use the Warlock Front End or not. Definitely doesn't work with Stormfront. http://scripts.whistlethis.com/script.php?n=282