Tagging items on the forge [re-post] 03/17/2008 08:27 PM CDT
I posted this in the smithing folder under lore but that one is so hyper-active right now that I think the issue I pointed out got swept under the rug. So I'm just reposting here. Just looking for some information on whether this is okay or not: :)

So remember how many of us forgers have complained about (and proposed solutions for the next version for forging) not being able to identify the difference between several ingots/wires/plates heating on the forge?

Well, I stumbled onto a way to fix that but I don't know how the GMs feel about it. THIS CURRENTLY WORKS.

Using tags from a trader, you can put a tag on a piece to put on the forge and it stays. You can write whatever number value you want on the tag to distinguish it. After the first pound, the tag will disappear. From what I can tell (I've only done this twice), it does not affect the weight or the appraisal. The tag simply disappears.

So the question is, does this make sense and can it be allowed? I'd like to hear from a GM on this issue. It makes sense that a tag cannot stand the extreme heat of the forge but it's an incredibly useful tool that does not seem to affect anything!

Here's an example so you all know what I'm talking about. Once again, this currently works.

You write a number onto the tag.
>
On the glowing forge you see a steel plate and a steel plate.
>
Grabbing up a pair of tongs, you gently pick up the blistering hot steel plate.
>
You string your tag to the plate.
>
You put your plate on the glowing forge.
>
On the glowing forge you see a steel plate with a price tag on it and a steel plate.
>
You see a sales tag set for the amount of 200099 Kronars.

Now Pounding--

On the battered anvil you see a steel plate with a price tag on it.
>
Seizing a hammer from the table in one hand, you grip the steel plates with a pair of tongs in the other and begin to pound away. Each heavy strike from your hammer rings out through the room like a thunderclap as waves of heat flow from the red glowing metal.
>
On the battered anvil you see some unfinished steel plates.

And now the tag's gone.

-Paladin Eeary Kakler
Re: Tagging items on the forge [re-post] 03/18/2008 12:59 PM CDT
I personally like the idea and said so. But as you say, the smithing folder is hyper-active right now.

I've been playing with the forge a bit- but only making one ingot at a time so I could keep track of what I was doing. It would be a great way for a professional smith to keep track of stuff without having to appraise everything and take notes.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Tagging items on the forge [re-post] 03/18/2008 10:27 PM CDT
After reading Eeary's report about being able to TAG the wires and plates, I immediately ran out and got a tag sack and quill. WOW.. this is SOOOOO nice. No more having to make only ONE chain item at a time so I don't mix up the various wires. I do certainly hope SOMETHING like it (identifying/tagging products on the forge) is added in for forging 2.0.

Redarch
Dwarf with an Axe.. Watch your toes!
Re: Tagging items on the forge [re-post] 03/19/2008 12:11 AM CDT
I saw your other post, just hadn't commented. I wasn't aware of it but the fact you can doesn't bother me. Please note though that if it does cause problems or bugs with your items it won't be anything we can compensate you on so use at your own discretion.

GM Oolan Jeel

"This island is made mainly of coal and surrounded by fish. Only an organizing genius could produce a shortage of coal and fish at the same time." Aneurin Bevan, May 1945, on World War II rationing and shortages in England.
Re: Tagging items on the forge [re-post] 03/19/2008 09:02 AM CDT
<<After reading Eeary's report about being able to TAG the wires and plates, I immediately ran out and got a tag sack and quill. WOW.. this is SOOOOO nice. No more having to make only ONE chain item at a time so I don't mix up the various wires. I do certainly hope SOMETHING like it (identifying/tagging products on the forge) is added in for forging 2.0.

Aboslutely awesome. Nice find Eeary.

Madigan

True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.

Arthur Ashe
Re: Tagging items on the forge [re-post] 03/19/2008 09:33 PM CDT
>>I wasn't aware of it but the fact you can doesn't bother me.

Yay!

Have fun with that, everyone! MUCH less confusion to those who utilize it!

By the way, if anyone does come across any problems or bugs regarding the tags, please post to let us all know!

-Paladin Eeary Kakler
Re: Tagging items on the forge [re-post] 03/20/2008 10:54 PM CDT
>>Please note though that if it does cause problems or bugs with your items it won't be anything we can compensate you on so use at your own discretion.

Ohh, I would hope folks understand that using something "not designed to work that way" is at our own risk :) I know, I know, some will complain no matter what so the need to put out the warning.

Just curious, what do you think of the idea of having an "officially approved" way to identify our wires and plates and ingots in the new Smithing 2.0?

Redarch
Re: Tagging items on the forge [re-post] 03/20/2008 11:39 PM CDT
>>Just curious, what do you think of the idea of having an "officially approved" way to identify our wires and plates and ingots in the new Smithing 2.0?

It is something I like the idea of, I'm just not entirely certain how to best go about it that it doesn't become a resource issue.

GM Oolan Jeel

"This island is made mainly of coal and surrounded by fish. Only an organizing genius could produce a shortage of coal and fish at the same time." Aneurin Bevan, May 1945, on World War II rationing and shortages in England.
Re: Tagging items on the forge [re-post] 03/21/2008 07:58 AM CDT
>>It is something I like the idea of, I'm just not entirely certain how to best go about it that it doesn't become a resource issue.

Maybe something in the appraisal that says like it seems the proper size and weight for a set of gloves?
Re: Tagging items on the forge [re-post] 03/22/2008 12:26 AM CDT
>>It is something I like the idea of, I'm just not entirely certain how to best go about it that it doesn't become a resource issue.

Just out of curiousity, are the trader tags we are using now, a resource issue? If not, maybe something using such code might work? I don't need anything long lasting, just a way to mark the wire/plate/ingot to tell one from another, so I know a red tag is for gloves and a blue tag is for helms. I ESPECIALLY love the fact that the current tags are destroyed when we pound the item. No needing to remember to remove the tag first.

Redarch
Re: Tagging items on the forge [re-post] 03/22/2008 12:10 PM CDT
>>Just out of curiousity, are the trader tags we are using now, a resource issue? If not, maybe something using such code might work? I don't need anything long lasting, just a way to mark the wire/plate/ingot to tell one from another, so I know a red tag is for gloves and a blue tag is for helms. I ESPECIALLY love the fact that the current tags are destroyed when we pound the item. No needing to remember to remove the tag first.

I've no clue at all how those tags function at this point. I'm also not sure how they'll function when some of the base mechanics of smithing change as they likely will. Until I get closer to that point, I just don't know what my options will be because any solution I deliberately code for you guys I'll also want to have make sense.

GM Oolan Jeel

Re: Tagging items on the forge [re-post] 03/22/2008 03:20 PM CDT
Oolan: I proposed a "dye" for a mix. That way your wires/plates come out "pink wire" "blue plate". The dye does nothing to the mix other than color and would go away after the first pound.

That seemed easier than markings/scratches as I originally suggested. It gives at least some method of separating the plates/wires.

Madigan

True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.

Arthur Ashe
Re: Tagging items on the forge [re-post] 03/22/2008 03:43 PM CDT
I like the idea of using forge soot to quickly mark something simple like 3 letters or a symbol.

- Player of Foresee

"You're right, we're all against you and actively work to stymie your guild's development. I'm twirling my mustache at the sheer thought." - DR-Armifer
Re: Tagging items on the forge [re-post] 03/22/2008 03:53 PM CDT
>>Until I get closer to that point, I just don't know what my options will be because any solution I deliberately code for you guys I'll also want to have make sense.

Understandable. The actual mechanics choices you'll have will obviously depend on the coding you do for the new system. The fact that you are open to the possibility of such marking is sufficient for me at this point. There have been some "makes sense" suggestions given already (dye in the mix, forge soot, etc) and we'll leave you to choosing the actual mechanics for it when the code gets to that point.

In the meantime, the fact that I'm not abusing a bug with the tags makes me quite happy and I can wait for the new forging. Thanks for letting us know about this Eeary.

Redarch