Maybe Of Interest 12/11/2007 11:35 AM CST
Really like Oolan's approach. See link.

http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=23&topic=7&message=1281

Madigan

True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.

Arthur Ashe
Re: Maybe Of Interest 12/11/2007 11:49 AM CST
Thanks for pointing that out. It sounds like an excellent direction to me.

Cheers again.
Re: Maybe Of Interest 12/11/2007 06:44 PM CST
Yep Madigan. Nice to see that Oolan is staying "on-track" with the ideas he discussed with us at Simucon. I really WOULD love to see us getting more younger smiths involved in doing the early starter parts of forging. Most cost/time effective for us to BUY those items from the starter smiths and then use OUR skill to improve them. Younger smiths earn coin and get involved, and elder smiths have extra things to do besides the basic forging grind it is now.

Redarch
Dwarf with an Axe.. Watch your toes!
Re: Maybe Of Interest 12/12/2007 08:16 AM CST
<<Younger smiths earn coin and get involved, and elder smiths have extra things to do besides the basic forging grind it is now.>>

I agree 100%. This is the main reason I do not forge "commercially". I love, love working in the forge and tinkering with new mixes and trying new things. I also like doing a reasonable amount of orders. However, the one time I took on 10 orders and spent 3 evenings in the forge working for someone else was the day I decided I hate the basic mixing grind. Don't know how you and Eeary do it my friend.

Madigan

True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.

Arthur Ashe
Re: Maybe Of Interest 12/12/2007 10:26 PM CST
>>Don't know how you and Eeary do it my friend.

I actually just really love forging. I don't mind the basic mixes...I like it when a product is completely made by me-- mix and all. I have, lately, been asking a friend of mine to step in and make a couple mixes for me-- it depends on how the demand is. Overall, I just love the forging system-- weapons and armor-- BUT I'm extremely excited about any changes that may occur with more advanced templates and configuring protection of armor based on different metals used!

The reason why I forge is because it is fun for me. When it stops being fun, I'll stop forging. The money is good but there was a point, a while ago, where I could have stopped with a satisfying bank account. I don't do it just for the coin. This is a game and it's ridiculous to play it if it isn't fun. I'm excited about any enhancements coming to the forging system!

As for the tedious armor orders-- it's not so bad, I'm not getting orders to make 500 of the same product again and again to leave me bored out of my mind. I make ten helms one time, then work on body armor, then gloves, etc. It keeps me busy and always configuring my mixes to make the next best thing.

-Paladin Eeary Kakler
Re: Maybe Of Interest 12/13/2007 07:19 AM CST
>The reason why I forge is because it is fun for me. When it stops being fun, I'll stop forging.

Exactly :)

Cheers.