How did this piece turn out? 11/30/2007 10:18 AM CST
Well I decided to forge me some LP greaves to assist in backtraining and I was just wondering how these turned out, compared to some of the better stuff out there. I used this mix:
1 nickel bar 1 iron bar mix 1.5 dust mix mix

The plate greaves are light plate.

The greaves look like they offer protection for the following areas:

right leg
left leg

You feel certain that some plate greaves appear to impose insignificant maneuvering hindrance and offers:
high protection and high damage absorption for puncture attacks.
high protection and high damage absorption for slice attacks.
moderate protection and high damage absorption for impact attacks.
good protection and good damage absorption for fire attacks.
moderate protection and good damage absorption for cold attacks.
poor protection and good damage absorption for electrical attacks.

If you were only maneuvering in some plate greaves you could expect to be unhindered.

You are certain that the plate greaves are very strong, and are in pristine condition.

The plate greaves are made with metal.
The plate greaves has a bit of weight to it.
You are certain that the plate greaves are worth exactly 225 kronars.

I haven't weighed them yet, but I'm told the mix produces 99 stone greaves.

My guess is that they are just average, I completely realize that I'm not a master smith by any means, I'm just curious how they compare to other pieces made by more skillful hands.

Also...what determines if I break the plates when pounding them? I'm guessing mech lore skill, but is there more to it? It took me 3 tries to get a pair without breaking the plates.

-Guardian Lord Alaxndr
"A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His words speak only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."
Re: How did this piece turn out? 11/30/2007 10:40 AM CST
If you mixed 1 nickel bar and 1 iron bar you would get nickel alloy which would not produce that appraisal...I pretty sure you ment zinc and iron.

Anyways thats standard appraisal for the iron/zinc mix on plate greaves. More skill and better mix can get a better durability.

Crusader Taghz

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.
Re: How did this piece turn out? 11/30/2007 10:53 AM CST
<<I pretty sure you ment zinc and iron.>>

Oops, sure did, thanks for the correction.

<<More skill and better mix can get a better durability>>

So, the protection/absorption values won't get any better is what you are saying? Sorry Taghz, I honestly don't know that much about forging (which leads me to believe that I maybe shouldn't be fooling with it!)

-Guardian Lord Alaxndr
"A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His words speak only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."
Re: How did this piece turn out? 11/30/2007 11:25 AM CST
The iron/zinc mix is one of the most basic mixes..That appraisal wont change...No matter how skilled you are...

Basic mixing requires the mixer to make sure that the volume/density of iron exceeds the amount of the non-iron metal volume/density.

IE:
1 IB > 1 ZB result iron
1 NB > 1 IB result nickel

To develope a better mix you can try to adding different metals.

(simple mixing method)

example

Correct steps:

1) 1 IB + 1 ZB = A [A = 99 stones of Iron-alloy]
2) A + 1 NB = B [B = 160 stones of Iron-alloy]
3) result 160 stones at 3 bar volume
4) This process is successful since the outcome is an Iron-alloy.

Each step can be added to as long as the result is iron-alloy till the desired volume and weight.

Incorrect steps:

1) 1 IB + 1 NB = A A = 112 nickel-alloy
2) Mixing stopped due to simple method now failed to result iron-alloy

Reason:
Density of IB < NB = NB

Using the simple mixing method requires that iron-alloy must be the result after each mix.

Both of these examples can be correct in a complex mixing standard which is better explain later on.

Good luck.

Crusader Taghz

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.
Re: How did this piece turn out? 11/30/2007 12:11 PM CST
I knew forging was involved...but wow. That's awesome info Taghz, thanks for the reply.

-Guardian Lord Alaxndr