A few questions 11/08/2007 09:31 AM CST
This has probably all been answered before but due to the primitive forums (no search function) I can't find them.

What is the hardest plate piece to make?
What forge factor is needed to make it?
Does FITTING armor have any clear benefit?
Do any guilds get bonuses to forging plate armor, like barbs and weapons?
Does the increased volume make the analyze counter move faster?
How much of an effect does mech lore have? Does it ever 'cap'?
Are there any websites about this sort of thing so I can stop bothering people?

Therefore a wise prince will seek means by which his subjects will always and in every possible condition of things have need of his government, and then they will always be faithful to him. --Niccolo Machiavelli, "The Prince"
Re: A few questions 11/08/2007 10:04 AM CST
http://dr.six-something.org/

The above has your forging factors.

As for your questions:

<<What is the hardest plate piece to make?>> If you are talking about pounding, the harder the mix, the harder it is to pound. However, using a typical mix, the higher volume things (field armor or full plate) are harder than the lower volume items (guantlets) as a general rule. Presently the "holy grail" of forging is a capped 300 stone field armor. No one has made it yet.

<<What forge factor is needed to make it?>> Typically, you want a 200 FF or greater to make higher than store-bought quality. Your more complex mixes typically take 300 FF or greater.

<<Does FITTING armor have any clear benefit?>> No, never FIT anything...it makes it worse.

<<Do any guilds get bonuses to forging plate armor, like barbs and weapons?>> Presently, paladins have a natural bonus in that they learn armor quicker than other guilds. After forging 2.0, some bonus will remain, but not as great...this is also a work in progress so I could be all wet on that statement 2 days from now.

<<Does the increased volume make the analyze counter move faster?>> No idea. I typically don't keep up with my counter. There is a good sicussion by Slaris in the armor making folder however.

<<How much of an effect does mech lore have? Does it ever 'cap'?>> The exact formula is on the website above. In short, it plays a small percentage of the FF formula. It will always grow. However, this will more than likely change with forging 2.0.

Good luck.

Madigan

True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.

Arthur Ashe
Re: A few questions 11/08/2007 03:04 PM CST
>>Does FITTING armor have any clear benefit?
No, never FIT anything...it makes it worse.

Fitting increases your counter, if you are looking to sell your items NEVER FIT. If you are looking to increase your counter ALWAYS FIT.

>>Presently the "holy grail" of forging is a capped 300 stone field armor. No one has made it yet.

I'm sooooo close....
h/h/m protection and high absorptions

Oddly enough though the mix I used I found a bug with it. I've been debating on gaining skill to try and reach the cap or reworking the mix to try a different approach.
Re: A few questions 11/08/2007 03:21 PM CST
By the way, Wodie is really close as well. I looked at a piece he made last night.

Madigan

True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.

Arthur Ashe
Re: A few questions 11/23/2007 06:35 AM CST
>>By the way, Wodie is really close as well. I looked at a piece he made last night.

Good Work, Wodie!
Re: A few questions 11/23/2007 06:41 AM CST
>>Your post here *Presently the "holy grail" of forging is a capped 300 stone field armor. No one has made it yet.

I don't think a 300 high/great field plate is possible. Just high/high.

But then again, maybe that's why it's the "holy grail" and no one has seen it.

-Paladin Eeary Kakler
Re: A few questions 11/23/2007 06:46 AM CST
Keep working Eeary, your close. I promise. Your a wonder in the forge... now get back in there!

-Master Ndin (waiting to be smited.)
Re: A few questions 11/23/2007 09:50 AM CST
<<I don't think a 300 high/great field plate is possible. Just high/high.>>

I am beginning to wonder the same thing. However, the compare on the h/h to the h/g is sooo close.

Madigan

Arthur Ashe
Re: A few questions 11/24/2007 10:57 AM CST
I can make 300 high/great...But I am retired from forging..

Crusader Taghz

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.