Prev_page Previous 1
Question 08/09/2006 07:33 PM CDT
By chance did anyone copy down the information on Relayer's site before his site went down.

Just trying to remember the going weight and protection for several different type of armor in all armor classes.

I've been doing some backtraining and was going to try my hand at different items.

- Kurgan
Re: Question 08/10/2006 12:02 AM CDT
The site was actually mine. I have the info on his armor. If you aim drpathie1 I can try to help you out

player of Mya
When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.

An Old Question (kertig fists) 09/06/2006 05:21 PM CDT
Good day. Before I took my break, there was a discussion on the number of kertig fists to make a full set of plate. I can do the math to determine the "necessary" number to add, but here are my questions (and was the subject of a string of posts some time ago):

1. Has anyone made a set of full plate with fists?

2. Do we have enough information to determine whether a fist actually makes a better suit of plate?

3. Assuming 2 is answered in the positive, do we have enough information to determine how many fists are needed to make a better suit of plate?

At the time, we theorized that it would take at least 3 fists. Obviously it has been a long time since I had this discussion and thanks in advance.

Madigan
Re: An Old Question (kertig fists) 09/06/2006 05:34 PM CDT
>1. Has anyone made a set of full plate with fists?

Dunno. Relayer, who has since vacationed from DR, had a pretty damned impressive set of plate. I never got to analyze it. I'd guess he used kertig.

>2. Do we have enough information to determine whether a fist actually makes a better suit of plate?

I'm unsure. It does help chain ALOT.

>At the time, we theorized that it would take at least 3 fists.

Which would be a 12% kertig mix. My gut feeling is thats too low to do much.

As reference; the kertig shirt Soim had made was 5 fists; net 40%. I wish I still had the app/analyze of it, but thats on the hard-drive that smoked. I actually had it my hands and DA'd it; it was pretty much awesome for LC.

Sorry not to be of much help. Hopefully some others can chime in with more accurate results.
Re: An Old Question (kertig fists) 09/06/2006 05:35 PM CDT
The difference between a kertig-alloy suit of plate and a "normal" steel suit would be negligible at best. Furthermore, the cost of acquiring three fists would be ludicrous.

Basically, I'd wait until forging was rewritten and made to make more sense before attempting anything foolish with kertig. ;)

Drongol's Player

PC also stands for "Paying Customer."
Re: An Old Question (kertig fists) 09/06/2006 05:45 PM CDT
So the current consensus is that kertig is the rare metal best suited for armor? How about for weapons? I've got this dream of my Paladin having some sick rare metal longsword for his Holy Weapon once he finally gets to 50th -- but by then both HW and forging will have been rewritten. ;)

~Thilan
Re: An Old Question (kertig fists) 09/06/2006 06:02 PM CDT
>So the current consensus is that kertig is the rare metal best suited for armor?

I didn't say that. I've seen glaes and damite helms/gaunts that are pretty darn sweet. I would add that (so far) kertig fists have the most volume, and even that isn't alot. 4 slugs: not impressive.

>How about for weapons?

Its far cheaper to get higher % [rare metal] in a low volume weapon vs. a high volume armor.

If the consensus a few years ago was 12% or 3 fists... at todays prices (if you don't have any) is 6500+ plat. Is a suit of armor with 6500+ plat? Hell you can almost have a boat for that much.
Re: An Old Question (kertig fists) 09/06/2006 06:31 PM CDT
"The difference between a kertig-alloy suit of plate and a "normal" steel suit would be negligible at best. Furthermore, the cost of acquiring three fists would be ludicrous.

Basically, I'd wait until forging was rewritten and made to make more sense before attempting anything foolish with kertig. ;)

Drongol's Player"

Thanks for the thoughts Drongol and nice to "see" you. I have plenty of fists, just don't know if using them is worth the "bang" so to speak. More than anything, I don't want to drop 5-6 of them on a suit of plate and it not be "crazy good".

Any word on timing for a forging re-write?

Thanks in advance.

Madigan
Re: An Old Question (kertig fists) 09/06/2006 06:43 PM CDT
>>I didn't say that. I've seen glaes and damite helms/gaunts that are pretty darn sweet. I would add that (so far) kertig fists have the most volume, and even that isn't alot. 4 slugs: not impressive.

Don't worry, I wasn't putting words in your mouth, I was just extrapolating from what I was reading here and on other boards. It seems to me that kertig's popularity is due in part to the sheer volume of fists, i.e. a 40 stone fist vs. a 13 stone damite lump, which means that you've got more to work with right off the bat. How do niniam and lumium work as weapons/armor?
Re: An Old Question (kertig fists) 09/06/2006 07:32 PM CDT
>It seems to me that kertig's popularity is due in part to the sheer volume of fists, i.e. a 40 stone fist vs. a 13 stone damite lump, which means that you've got more to work with right off the bat.

The difference is kertig fists are 4 volume. Yes they weigh 40 stones, that just means they offer high density. 10 density.

Damite is also really dense, 1 volume, 13 stone, or 13.0 density, but its still 1 slug of volume. Compare that to iron or lead, 5.1 and 7.8 respectively. The biggest difference is that bars are 10 volume.

At 4 slugs/fist... it takes a whole lot of them to get a high percentage in a 100 volume field plate template. Figure 10 fists is 40%, which is the ratio the LC chain shirt Soim had made was. Thats some serious cake.
Re: An Old Question (kertig fists) 09/08/2006 11:14 AM CDT
Let's put it this way:

You don't need 25 fists to make a set of 100% kertig field plate.

Me and Mordril did it when fists came out (his part was the gold, mine was to make sure the mix was ok) and we found a lot during that session.

After that I mixed some chain shirts with kertig and glaes. They apped like/better than heavy plate armor. While hp protection didn't get SUCH a huge boost. So to everyone who asked me what to make out of their kertig I'd always say make chain armor. Or weapons.

I'm not sure forging still works as it did around 3 years ago, but if it does... I could charge 500 plat and give you a mix to make 100% kertig mix with 1 kertig fist and 1 kertig tear. Or 2 fists.

Have fun!

ex-forger-mentor-friend Phanton. (still reading this stuff) hehe
Re: An Old Question (kertig fists) 09/08/2006 12:52 PM CDT
Good to see you still run around the boards here Phanton. You IG any at all?

Madigan
Re: An Old Question (kertig fists) 09/09/2006 04:25 PM CDT
Nope.

I still have AIM though.. sebastiaandr

Sometimes I go online to chat to DR friends :) Feel free to catch me there for a chat.

Have fun.
Re: An Old Question (kertig fists) 09/13/2006 04:27 PM CDT
Welcome back Mad,

Last tested, I could only get great/great for field plate armor. Not sure if this is the cap or what, but it was made with a kertig mix.

For fun, I actually have a set of pure kertig plates that are on the last pound sitting in my vault. Trying to decide if I ever want to finish them, or remelt and make me a sword. ;)

Profesie
Re: An Old Question (kertig fists) 09/13/2006 04:42 PM CDT
Wow, nice to see you around Profesie and good to be back. I am not sure the great/great makes it worth the bang for the buck so to speak. Maybe I'll just sit tight for forging 2.0.

Thanks for the info.

Madigan
Question for my fellow Armor Forgers 06/02/2007 02:55 PM CDT
Just discovered since last night (been about 4 days since I made the last set of LC hauberk), that the 240 stone LC hauberk that USED to have "moderately strong" construction, now comes out as "Fairly sturdy" construction. Exact same mix, haven't circled or ranked in the armors recently, but I've confirmed twice now that the same mix is giving me a lower construction. Using the Crossing Paladin Forge.

Any of the rest of you noticing anything different in your chain armors?

Redarch
Dwarf with an Axe.. Watch your toes!
Re: Question for my fellow Armor Forgers 06/02/2007 03:42 PM CDT
Red, I haven't noticed any change...A few months back I remmber making a 240 LC hauberk at fairly sturdy.

Crusader Taghz

Stop Global Warming!!! Eat beef!!!
Re: Question for my fellow Armor Forgers 06/02/2007 06:26 PM CDT
Taghz,

Thanks for the reply. Can any other chain forgers out there confirm that the current "standard" for a 240 LC hauber is "fairly sturdy construction"?

Redarch
Re: Question for my fellow Armor Forgers 06/03/2007 09:04 AM CDT
Red: My chain FF is still fairly low (201) but I get fairly sturdy.

Madigan
Re: Question for my fellow Armor Forgers 06/03/2007 02:07 PM CDT
Thanks for checking Madigan. Wasn't sure if something had changed, or if I had just mis-recorded the construction on these.

Redarch
Questions - Forging Materials, Temperatures, and More 11/24/2008 11:56 AM CST
Is glowing white hot bad? Is glowing red hot preferred? Read one source stating white hot damaged materials, two other sources said to use white hot, didn't mention any damage.

Does anyone actually make items out of copper, zinc, tin, lead, etc. Or are these all additives to end up with some type of steel?

When making a bastard sword or any other swappable weapon, what Forge Factor does it use? Ie, 2HE FF or HE FF for a bastard sword.

What's the Halberd and Pike and other none category weapon FF equation?
FF=(W1.6)+(MECH.1)

Mixes with higher carbon content are easier?

Is the sabre template HE, or ME, or both depending on volume? I know armor has breaking points, but haven't seen anything about weapons.

Ingots turn into blades for edged weapons. Do they turn into heads for blunts, halberds, pikes?

I know my skills are a bit weak, I don't expect to be able to make anything, and even if I did it probably wouldn't be worth using.

Thanks much for any responses.
Kharm
Re: Questions - Forging Materials, Temperatures, and More 11/24/2008 12:03 PM CST
<<Is glowing white hot bad? Is glowing red hot preferred? Read one source stating white hot damaged materials, two other sources said to use white hot, didn't mention any damage.

Personally I only pound at white hot.

<<Does anyone actually make items out of copper, zinc, tin, lead, etc. Or are these all additives to end up with some type of steel?

I have mixes that use all of the above. Steel is determined by how much iron and dust are in the mix and how its applied.

<<When making a bastard sword or any other swappable weapon, what Forge Factor does it use? Ie, 2HE FF or HE FF for a bastard sword.

Its your HE FF

<<Mixes with higher carbon content are easier?
Easier to do what with? for breakage? cracking on the grindstone?

<<Is the sabre template HE, or ME, or both depending on volume? I know armor has breaking points, but haven't seen anything about weapons.

Sabre is an ME weapon

<<Ingots turn into blades for edged weapons. Do they turn into heads for blunts, halberds, pikes?

Yes

Good luck Kharm. If you need help with mixes give me a hollar at DrevidDR on AIM

Drevid

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Barbarian.html

Cylons... why debugging matters.
Re: Questions - Forging Materials, Temperatures, and More 11/24/2008 04:14 PM CST
Everything Drevid said is spot on for armor forging as well.

I would only add:

<<Mixes with higher carbon content are easier?
<<Easier to do what with? for breakage? cracking on the grindstone?

For armor, softer mixes are easier to pound. A soft mix is usually a mix with a lot of dust.

Madigan

When soldiers have been baptized in the fire of a battle-field, they have all one rank in my eyes.
Napoleon Bonaparte
Re: Questions - Forging Materials, Temperatures, and More 11/24/2008 05:27 PM CST
Excellent, Thank you both very much. The dust question was about the softness/easiness to pound as I barely get past 1/3 normally and only to 1/2 once before I break. Thinking maybe some non-steel mixes might be easier too.

Any clue as to when you stop getting the following message on every single pound? I'm assuming it's just my mech, but don't know what to aim for other than "more is better". I know I do need to keep working on it if I want to transfer ranks when the new forging comes out.

You wince as you feel the metal suddenly give way beneath your hammer. Hopefully it is not too badly weakened.
Re: Questions - Forging Materials, Temperatures, and More 11/24/2008 06:16 PM CST
To be honest. Once I stopped getting the message I never gave it another thought. Could be mech, FF, strength, or a number of other things. I can't really say with any certainty. Perhaps someone else knows.

Drevid

Re: Questions - Forging Materials, Temperatures, and More 11/24/2008 08:18 PM CST
Frankly, I can't recall. Isn't that the message you get when you are pounding something not fully white hot?

Sorry, no help on this one.

Madigan

When soldiers have been baptized in the fire of a battle-field, they have all one rank in my eyes.
Napoleon Bonaparte
Re: Questions - Forging Materials, Temperatures, and More 11/25/2008 01:20 AM CST
<<You wince as you feel the metal suddenly give way beneath your hammer. Hopefully it is not too badly weakened.

I do not think is is in regard to the metal being less than white hot as I recall getting good pounds with red hot as well..

I do remember getting that message sometimes when I started, so my best guess is that it is mech related. Of course, it could be FF as it has increased faster than my mech.

Maybe not much help..

Sebestyen
Re: Questions - Forging Materials, Temperatures, and More 11/25/2008 04:19 AM CST
I always pound as cool as I can. Ridgid mixes mild amber, flexible ones red. (the app is backwards as everyone knows) I have even pounded out a blade at glowing.. High end glowing, but glowing still. I think it helps construction, but that is just speculation.

I try never to let a mix go to white hot, unless it is special metals, then I let it simmer at white hot for a few minutes before pounding. For steel, I seem to break more items that are pounded at white hot than at other temps.

Note, I am usally trying to pound/grind an ultra light weapon. By that I mean max stats at min weight. 36 stone l/g/l r/f in he mod strong bastie and the like.

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Legendary Barbarian of M'Riss
Re: Questions - Forging Materials, Temperatures, and More 11/25/2008 08:24 AM CST
<<I try never to let a mix go to white hot, unless it is special metals, then I let it simmer at white hot for a few minutes before pounding. For steel, I seem to break more items that are pounded at white hot than at other temps.

Armor as well? My breakage about doubles if I pound at less than white hot.

Madigan

Napoleon Bonaparte
Re: Questions - Forging Materials, Temperatures, and More 11/28/2008 01:34 PM CST
Miraculously created the worst sabre in exsistence in the realms. low/poor/poor dismal/dismal extremely weak. Used 17 Stone Sabre
2 NS 3 dust mix mix
4 dust mix mix
1 IB mix
1 dust mix

Couldn't repeat this feat, also my HP FF's higher so I switched back to trying to make armor, and even went as far as to a pure copper mix. Tried 1 bar gauntlets, was able to pound without getting the weakening message about 50% of my hits, and still only got to 1/4 done when I broke them. Go figure.

Drevid I probably will be contacting you shortly about mixes. Here's hoping you have something even softer than pure copper :)
Re: Questions - Forging Materials, Temperatures, and More 11/29/2008 03:51 PM CST
> My breakage about doubles if I pound at less than white hot.

~Hanryu Ves'Shomis
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Tolle says, "Yup yup, 'bout time. What the heck took you so long?"
FF Questions From a Beginning Forger 12/17/2008 11:07 AM CST
Hey all, recently hit 80th circle and I'm looking to take a break from hunting for a while and start in the forge. What kind of plate and chain ff am I going to need to start producing anything decent? From what I"ve read on this board I realize that it seems to be heavily mix dependent - my question is will I be able to produce anything worth making at this point?
FF for plate is 285, and chain is 150. Also mech is 160. Strength is 40 and stam 36. Agility is 40 but it doesn't appear agility is a factor. My prior experience in the forge is basically pounding out easy pieces for the counter so that I could analyze better. Does it seem like I'm ready to start forging decent stuff? Should I wait for mech to be higher? Also I have some tdps to spend, what would be better at this point strength or stamina? Thank you and appreciate any input.
Re: FF Questions From a Beginning Forger 12/17/2008 01:36 PM CST
At 285 plate FF you can "cap" all accessories. You can "super cap" gauntlets and great helms if you have the right mix. Super cap means great slice protection.

At 285 plate FF you can cap field plate armor and half plate, but at a pretty heavy weight and if you dust the bejibbers out of the stuff.

Sub-200 FF for chain you can cap all accessories but you have to have a dust mix (IMO). If you can cap shirts and hauberks, it would be at a high weight and I think that would be iffy.

If I were you, I would get your basic accessory mixes down for plate and consistently cap plate accessories. Then, I would work on field plate armor and half plate. Once you get closer to 200 FF for chains, I would step into the chain arena.

Just my thoughts and I would be happy to help in whatever way I can.

Madigan

Napoleon Bonaparte
Re: FF Questions From a Beginning Forger 12/17/2008 02:22 PM CST
Work on mech. And more armor = always better.

-Vorp
Re: FF Questions From a Beginning Forger 12/17/2008 05:44 PM CST
So how do I figure out what my FF is?

~Silus
Smite first, ask questions later.
Re: FF Questions From a Beginning Forger 12/17/2008 06:06 PM CST
ARMOR

(<Ranks of HP> x .6) + (<ranks of LP> x .3>) + (<ranks of mech> x .1) = HP FF

(<Ranks of LP> x .6) + (<ranks of HP> x .3>) + (<ranks of mech> x .1) = LP FF

(<Ranks of HC> x .6) + (<ranks of LC> x .3>) + (<ranks of mech> x .1) = HC FF

(<Ranks of LC> x .6) + (<ranks of HC> x .3>) + (<ranks of mech> x .1) = LC FF

Crusader Taghz

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.
Re: FF Questions From a Beginning Forger 12/17/2008 06:15 PM CST
You can just go here and it'll do it for you If you don't feel like doing the math

http://dr.six-something.org/ff.php

Drevid

Re: FF Questions From a Beginning Forger 12/18/2008 04:20 AM CST
HMMM so for me HP FF is 298.. Not bad, but I am a bladesmith and have never made armor.

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Legendary Barbarian of M'Riss
LC Question 12/12/2009 01:19 AM CST
Does anyone know if a non-pally has ever capped a 3 density mix? My chain factors are creeping up on 500, and I'm still coming up slightly short. I know it takes bookoo ranks even for a pally, but I'm beginning to wonder if it's even possible for a non-pally. Here's the app on what I make; it's looked exactly the same for about the last 170 chain ranks:

The chain hauberk is light chain.

The hauberk looks like it offers protection for the following areas:

right arm
left arm
right leg
left leg
chest
abdomen
back

You feel certain that a chain hauberk appears to impose moderate maneuvering hindrance and moderate stealth hindrance, offering:
good protection and good damage absorption for puncture attacks.
good protection and good damage absorption for slice attacks.
moderate protection and good damage absorption for impact attacks.
moderate protection and good damage absorption for fire attacks.
moderate protection and good damage absorption for cold attacks.
poor protection and good damage absorption for electrical attacks.

If you were only wearing a chain hauberk you could expect your maneuvering to be insignificantly hindered and your stealth to be insignificantly hindered.

You are certain that the chain hauberk is moderately strong, and is in pristine condition.

The chain hauberk is made with metal.
The chain hauberk is fairly flexible.
You are certain that the chain hauberk weighs exactly 240 stones.
You are certain that the chain hauberk is worth exactly 1800 lirums.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

I know from comparison testing that my physical attack absorptions are just under the highs they should be, but it's still no cigar. To cap an LC hauberk I had to jump to 270 last time I tried it several months ago. Not sure if it's dropped or not any since then.

Thanks in advance.

Kaxis

TIP OF THE DAY:
A heavy crossbow is a heavy crossbow type weapon.
Re: LC Question 12/12/2009 01:30 AM CST
All items weapons and armor can be capped by non-paladins or non-barbs.

Just takes more skill.

Gana change soon anyway..,

Crusader Taghz

DFA = DISC + AGIL + TM > Evasion + Reflex

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.
Prev_page Previous 1