Smite 2.0 01/06/2018 08:40 PM CST
>smite help
Smite draws upon either the conviction or raw spiritual might of the Paladin to perform a powerful strike that can sunder a foe if used properly. It is an innate ability of all Paladins and the first means a novice Paladin has of exercising the strength of their spirit.
Each smite is fueled either by your conviction or your soul pool. You gain a number of "free smites" based on your Conviction skill, which is used before any other cost is applied. Once you are out of Conviction-based strikes, further smites draw upon your soul pool. You may only convert your soul pool to smites if you have at least a nominally healthy soul.
Smites are more accurate, hit harder than normal attacks, and are always blessed. The potency of the smite's bonuses depend on both your Conviction and your Charisma.

Syntax:
SMITE <STYLE> <TARGET> -- Perform a smite, for example SMITE CHOP GOBLIN. Like most attacks, smite will attempt to default intelligently if the style or target is left out of the command.
SMITE CHECK -- View the status of your Conviction strikes.

>smite check
You contemplate the strength of your conviction.
Your conviction is enough to deliver eight blows against your enemies before you must either rest or draw upon your spiritual strength to continue.

>smite chop goblin
You draw back with a divinely inspired strike!
< Driving in like a master combatant, you chop a claymore at a goblin. A goblin attempts to evade, taking the full blow. The claymore lands a cataclysmic strike (Shock waves ripple outward!) that tears flesh and cartilage as the right leg is ripped clean below the knee (Better order that peg leg!), severely stunning it.
The goblin howls in pain and collapses to the ground moaning.
[You're winded, off balance and in dominating position.]
[Roundtime 8 sec.]

This part of the project is far enough along that I can take questions if there are any.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Smite 2.0 01/06/2018 08:48 PM CST
Armifer - At first blush this looks fantastic. A few quick questions:

1, Is there a cooldown on the ability, or just a cost? I saw the free strikes then Pool, looks good.

2, Is the recovery rate of the "freebies" static or based on.. Skill/Soulstate/Charisma/Divine Right of Kings/Number of vowels in the name of the month?

3, When are you next at a con, so I can give you a crisp highfive?

Other comments:

I really like taking the checking of the pool from Power Perception. It's a nice QOL bonus, especially if it's going to be the primary trainer of Conviction. Speaking of, any word on how the EXP will be rewarded for it via Smite? Will it be tied to damage like a normal combat ability, or static reward based on pool usage, or TBD?

Thanks - Really excited to get my hands on this to break it..er, play with it.

Samsaren
Re: Smite 2.0 01/06/2018 09:09 PM CST
Conceptually, what's the role of smite 2.0? I saw that you mentioned it's the first training method for novices, but do you consider it a daily driver tool or a power move we bust out for bosses and to impress our dates? The answers to those questions are sort of based on the strike count by skill, and the regeneration rate.

Does the auto-bless change if the weapon is already blessed (I can't imagine why it would, but thought I'd ask), and does it interact with a holy weapon, or any spells?

Does the added damage from the attack stack with the added damage from the bless, if attacking an undead or cursed target?

Is the damage additive or multiplicative? That is, would I get more bang for my smite out of smiting with a claymore, because it has more stats to multiply the values by? Additive would possibly give an edge up to smaller weapons going quickly, depending on where the bonus damage caps fall.

I'm assuming this will train conviction; does conviction exp rewarded depend on the weapon damage, similar to a weapon attack? Or is it rewarded based on the action without regard to the damage dealt?
Re: Smite 2.0 01/06/2018 09:32 PM CST
All specifics are subject to change based on testing, observation, and my mood swings.

>>1, Is there a cooldown on the ability, or just a cost? I saw the free strikes then Pool, looks good.

No cooldown at the moment.

>>2, Is the recovery rate of the "freebies" static or based on.. Skill/Soulstate/Charisma/Divine Right of Kings/Number of vowels in the name of the month?

Currently static at 1 per minute.

>>3, When are you next at a con, so I can give you a crisp highfive?

I don't usually go to Simucon, mainly because I don't drink anymore.

>>Speaking of, any word on how the EXP will be rewarded for it via Smite? Will it be tied to damage like a normal combat ability, or static reward based on pool usage, or TBD?

TBD, I'm still wrestling with exactly how I want Conviction exp to look like.

>>Conceptually, what's the role of smite 2.0? I saw that you mentioned it's the first training method for novices, but do you consider it a daily driver tool or a power move we bust out for bosses and to impress our dates? The answers to those questions are sort of based on the strike count by skill, and the regeneration rate.

Regen of the "free" strikes is mentioned above, regen of soul pool is... a little weird and problematic and my next target.

Right now "free" strikes are awarded at the same progression as crafting techniques. First one at 25 Conviction, 13th and final at 1200.

>>Does the auto-bless change if the weapon is already blessed (I can't imagine why it would, but thought I'd ask), and does it interact with a holy weapon, or any spells?

It does not interact in any way like that. Currently Smite auto-blesses if you have an exceptionally pure soul, I just took that requirement away and made it a baseline feature of a successful smite.

>>Does the added damage from the attack stack with the added damage from the bless, if attacking an undead or cursed target?

It should stack.

>>Is the damage additive or multiplicative? That is, would I get more bang for my smite out of smiting with a claymore, because it has more stats to multiply the values by? Additive would possibly give an edge up to smaller weapons going quickly, depending on where the bonus damage caps fall.

I will admit ignorance here, I am using a standardized tool for extra damage and I'm not 100% on how it derives damage increases under the hood. I'll try to remember to take a look soon.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Smite 2.0 01/06/2018 09:40 PM CST
Thanks for the Q&A Armifer, I'm feeling very comfy with what I'm seeing, looking forward to it.

Samsaren
Re: Smite 2.0 01/06/2018 09:49 PM CST
This looks like a big improvement. Thanks!

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Paladin new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Paladin_new_player_guide

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: Smite 2.0 01/06/2018 11:57 PM CST

> I really like taking the checking of the pool from Power Perception.

I am in no way opposed to this idea as just a silent perk, but imagine this.

Rather than just giving it to paladins, you make it a quest. Something akin to Avtalia Array, but rather than embedding cambrinth into the skin, you embed soulstone fragments or have an NPC convert soulstone objects (anything with soulstone in the tap) to a form of ink that would be used as a base for permanent holy glyphs (tattoos).

Traders get passive mana in cambrinth when they gain starlight, but what if paladins had that in reverse. Spending holy mana refunds a small portion of that back into their soul pool (% modified by conviction). It could also bear the burden (think ritual focus) of some of your glyphs or smites to ease them. It could give you a new ritual you could perform in the field to regen soul. It could have a chance to randomly give you a free smite. It could work with sacred insight to flare when you're targeted with a spell or attack. It could do any number of things, but it would be cool and iconic to paladins, and it would maintain the soulstone lore that's already with the guild. It would also move them a little closer to barbarians and a little further away from clerics.

> It does not interact in any way like that. Currently Smite auto-blesses if you have an exceptionally pure soul, I just took that requirement away and made it a baseline feature of a successful smite.

Since we already have a bless with holy warrior, would you consider changing this to a short-term damage taken debuff? Such as having the smite cast divine radiance on the target instead?

> Thanks for the Q&A Armifer, I'm feeling very comfy with what I'm seeing, looking forward to it.
> This looks like a big improvement. Thanks!

+1 to this. It sounds like a good approach so far.
Re: Smite 2.0 01/07/2018 04:24 AM CST
>>Since we already have a bless with holy warrior, would you consider changing this to a short-term damage taken debuff? Such as having the smite cast divine radiance on the target instead?

Nope. The intention is to give access to a bless pre-Holy Warrior.

-Armifer
Re: Smite 2.0 01/07/2018 01:38 PM CST
The new smite sounds promising. Can't wait to try it out. Thanks!
Re: Smite 2.0 01/08/2018 11:48 PM CST

> This part of the project is far enough along that I can take questions if there are any.

Will "smite hurl" and "smite lob" be supported for hitting those non-corporeal undead?

I doubt the smite pool would be large enough to support training a thrown weapon, but it would be a nice perk when needed, and HoW doesn't work here.

(I assume it's intended that HoW doesn't work for thrown weapons, yet does for crossbow?)

Mithgrek, player of.
Re: Smite 2.0 01/09/2018 06:20 AM CST
>>Will "smite hurl" and "smite lob" be supported for hitting those non-corporeal undead?

Nope.

-Armifer
Re: Smite 2.0 01/09/2018 08:59 AM CST

> Nope.

Can smite instead provide a lingering effect on the smitten foe? The next x strikes against them will be counted as blessed?

Can a paladin get the benefits of bless on a normal creature or construct? Unlike clerics, they aren't necessarily undead hunters, and even the goblin needs to be smitten on occasion.