Attribute Training?? ( Crossposted in Abilities Skills Magic Folder) 05/14/2017 04:37 PM CDT

Not sure if this is the right location for this post but was the best I could think of.

I was just looking for other's opinions on training attributes. More specifically thoughts on training mental stats. As well if someone would be able to speak to something I was told may years ago about keeping your attributes on even numbers for some reason. It just stuck in my head, not sure why, so I always tended to try and do that. Was told something along the lines that the system didn't recognize odd number attributes or something like that. Imagine this might sound really stupid, ha. It was many years ago.

Anyhow was just looking for people's thoughts on how they trained their stats. And if anyone is curious or care to go into more detail in regards to guild. Am a paladin and tend to train a ton of skills. I spend prolly only 25% or less of my time training (probably less) in combat. Is a roleplay choice among other things.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Malch

8)

Oh and I did do some searching on google for other posts but I didn't come up with too much I think to address some of these questions.
Re: Attribute Training?? ( Crossposted in Abilities Skills Magic Folder) 05/14/2017 09:09 PM CDT
Early on, I suggest pushing Physicals because baddies scales faster than you do. Once you get to where you're comfortable surviving wise, that's when I start bringing up Mentals.

Paladins, honestly, need pretty much all the stats, which makes it tough. In my time I played the even stat game, getting everything to 30, then 50, then 70, then 100. Once I had everything to 70, I did mentals to 100 first though. My general suggestion is 'raise where you feel weak.'

Samsaren
Re: Attribute Training?? ( Crossposted in Abilities Skills Magic Folder) 05/14/2017 11:02 PM CDT
>>Early on, I suggest pushing Physicals because baddies scales faster than you do. Once you get to where you're comfortable surviving wise, that's when I start bringing up Mentals.

I second this. Stamina and Reflex are good to start with at the earliest levels.

- Navesi
Re: Attribute Training?? ( Crossposted in Abilities Skills Magic Folder) 05/15/2017 10:40 AM CDT

Thanks all very much for your responses.

Balanced as always been my approach honestly as well. From my highest to lowest the gap right now is 11. And I have always tried to be a jack of all trades kind of paladin. But never considered being a really strong caster so. Well when it comes to our offensive spells at least.

Regarding reflex. I suppose my understanding of it is a bit outdated. I thought that was one stat that wasn't totally as important because as I read it or something somewhere, "paladins are meant or are going to be hit.". Something along those lines. That being said perhaps my reflex is a tad low then.

Again thanks much you two.

More stuff to think about.

Malch
8)
Re: Attribute Training?? ( Crossposted in Abilities Skills Magic Folder) 05/15/2017 11:30 AM CDT
For a really young Paladin reflex won't be as important because you haven't had the chance to raise your armor skills. The thing is, Paladins are the only armor primary guild which means they can reduce their hinderence from wearing ultra heavy armors down to more than reasonable levels. It's that reduction that comes with a lot of armor ranks that makes reflex very relevant despite wearing heavy armor. This is really the main reason why Paladins can be so hard to kill when built well. They dodge like they're wearing chain, and when they get hit they have the full protection of heavy plate. If you combine this with the Paladins fairly impressive array of defensive spells (I was gonna list them, but there's too many,) it gets pretty crazy pretty quickly.

There's nothing saying you have to be an ultra defensive paladin, but it is basically the primary benefit of the guild.
Re: Attribute Training?? ( Crossposted in Abilities Skills Magic Folder) 05/15/2017 04:05 PM CDT
>>Regarding reflex. I suppose my understanding of it is a bit outdated. I thought that was one stat that wasn't totally as important because as I read it or something somewhere, "paladins are meant or are going to be hit.". Something along those lines. That being said perhaps my reflex is a tad low then.

Reflex is VERY important. While yes, we can shrug off far and away more damage then other guilds, not taking that damage in the first place is of critical value. The last few alts I've brought through modern combat, I find once you've got the basics (enough str/stam to remove burden, armor, a few weapons), reflex is the biggest gate to advancing up the hunting ladder. My most recent alts (Cleric/Warmie) both had reflex their highest stat and I never had issues transitioning to the next area to keep everything moving nicely. Well worth the investment.

Samsaren