Re: Brainstorm (Dark Paladins) 01/23/2017 06:06 PM CST

that's what ive been struggling with. Sadism towards all vs targeted sadism as a paladin who does the aldauth thing.
Re: Brainstorm (Dark Paladins) 01/23/2017 06:07 PM CST
>>Not-Dark Paladins might accept that the gray exists and show leniency towards others, but are not allowed to indulge themselves in that gray area.

On the other hand, Dark Paladins might be care less about "minor/grey-area" crimes while Light Paladins would be more willing to cut the hands off a person stealing bread for their family. IMO it depends a lot on how the [player of the] Paladin decides to define justice.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Brainstorm (Dark Paladins) 01/23/2017 06:23 PM CST

right, like they may not care about pickpocketing, but they might smite horde holysplosion an area to take out a necromancer.
Re: Brainstorm (Dark Paladins) 01/23/2017 06:30 PM CST
>>right, like they may not care about pickpocketing, but they might smite horde holysplosion an area to take out a necromancer.

Changing the argument from "dark Paladins worship dark gods" to "dark Paladins care too little (or too much?) about justice" would be an interesting tilt.

Especially in the context of what you said. Would it be a "dark" Paladin be the one that wipes out a village, or a light Paladin? Keep in mind the angry mob isn't known as Botolf's Goshawks.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Brainstorm (Dark Paladins) 01/23/2017 06:35 PM CST

to me it like this

light paladin. calls out thief, tries to get money back, consoles theft victim.

standard paladin. punishes the thief fairly. allows the judicial system to compensate victim if they choose to.

dark paladin. hunts down thief, breaks all their fingers, steals money back and gives it to the victim.
Re: Brainstorm (Dark Paladins) 01/23/2017 09:02 PM CST

> To me, a Dark Paladin is like a tyrant. They punish others in absolute shades of black and white, rather than recognizing that a gray area exists since they are not allowed to indulge in it. Not-Dark Paladins might accept that the gray exists and show leniency towards others, but are not allowed to indulge themselves in that gray area.

Have you ever seen death-note? It's about someone who is willing to kill at will, sacrifice a few souls, all with the professed claim that they are saving the world. They do save the world, and people fall in line, but they do so through fear and cruelty claiming to be a God of that world. It would be an interesting take to make Dark Paladins this good guy gone wrong. They lean more towards Rutilor rather than chadatru. Their abilities are flashy, bright, about saving the world from itself because it's so backwards. They are rewarded with passive messages about how they are a champion of the Gods, constant positive reinforcement for winning against evil by any means necessary. They are not bound by civil law. They're not bound by rules of war. They're bound by evil vs good, and good will win, no matter what. They are the higher law.
Re: Brainstorm (Dark Paladins) 01/24/2017 12:55 AM CST
I think in the end Dark Paladins are going to be a bit up to the player to run with exactly how they go down the path, how they interact, and to me at least hopefully it won't be something that has to always be the characters thing, like you wouldn't have to chose a type of Paladin at some point for your career.

Of course I'd also love rewards for consistent roleplayers.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
"Phelim, what have I wrought?"
GM NaOHHI
---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 S.V.o.L.t.R
Re: Brainstorm 01/25/2017 04:37 PM CST
Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!

I like the idea of Dark Paladin being handled more subtly. What if holy weapon (or armaments) were more of a seminal ability as it should be? I just finished writing an email on this, but I think it's a good thing to toss out here. I know I'm burying the lede but bear with me a sec.

What if at the end of the holy weapon quest, a paladin learned the ritual to holify a weapon rather than creating the weapon outright? The ritual would use a Chadatru favor or offering and a full soul pool, a chunk of spirit, vitality and mana. Recharging the weapon would just require some soul juice and availability (the ability would be on cooldown), rather than an altar. Replacing the weapon would just require waiting out the long cooldown and a repeat of the initial ritual to create the bond. To keep holy icons relevant, they might be used in place of a favor or offering and add some extra charges on recharge.

The new holy weapon would be the same as it is now, but it'd also reduce the cost of soul abilities (glyphs, auras/faiths, etc.) when held.

Now, the traditional holy weapon would be taught by a guildleader, but we'd also have a player-taught "dark" holy weapon (like other player-taught abilities, including voice throw and such), the signature weapon of a dark paladin. The Dark Paladin would be the same as any other paladin insofar as abilities are concerned (no new dark paladin powers). The difference would lie in the weapon and the ritual. Rather than using a Chad orb or offering, the dark ritual would take a Botolf offering.

The dark weapon would sap the paladin's soul pool with each swing, limiting the use of traditional paladin soul abilities. It would also be less potent than a traditional holy weapon in terms of damage bonus, BUT it would apply random minor curses to its target on successful strike, affecting an opponent's balance, spirit, fatigue, mana and concentration.

That improves holy weapon, which should really be our seminal ability, and it opens the door for Dark Paladin RP gameplay and RP without necessitating the creation of dedicated dark paladin abilities.

It's easy to imagine this system could be expanded to include a 100th circle holy shield ability using the same holy weapon ritual. The holy shield might do some interesting stuff like provide a small chance to nullify a random physical attack and boost a shield's offensive stats or improve shield slams in a perceivable way since shield slam is a meh attack on its own (low damage, high fatigue and balance hit).

**Note: I know this is outside the scope of the original discussion, but I think it may be relevant to the ancillary discussion. I emailed the more relevant suggestions re: Faiths before re-subbing to post.
Re: Brainstorm (Dark Paladins) 01/25/2017 05:06 PM CST
>>dark paladin. hunts down thief, breaks all their fingers, steals money back and gives it to the victim.

This raises the question, for example, if the Hounds of Rutilor is staffed by Dark Paladins or Light Paladins. I mean, the Hounds have been known to burn down entire villages if they had a Necromancer in their midst (even if it wasn't known).

Is a disregard for anything other than "righteous justice" the sign of a Paladin being a "light" or "dark"? If a Paladin had the opportunity to smite a Necromancer's spouse, children, extended family, entire hometown, etc, would a "light" Paladin be the one that risks the taint of Necromancy spreading or the one that makes sure every possible thread is burnt to ash?

While they're not wrong views, it's interesting that many people see a light Paladin as the one that does the least harm, while the dark Paladin is the one that would kick a puppy on the way out. I think there's an argument that if a light Paladin favored rule of mortal/immortal law and justice above all else might be a "deadly" iteration than a dark one, who might could arguably be the type that disregards or bends the rules.

Re: Brainstorm (Dark Paladins) 01/25/2017 07:51 PM CST

> This raises the question, for example, if the Hounds of Rutilor is staffed by Dark Paladins or Light Paladins

This is kind of what I was getting at. What if the "dark paladin" was actually Rutilor's Paladins. Trying so hard to be good that they embrace the tactics of evil due to their effectiveness, completely unaware of the irony. They are holy only to themselves and the strictest interpretation of the law.
Re: Brainstorm 01/28/2017 03:32 PM CST
So there was a lore post that said the soul was something of an "incorporeal organ". What if this "organ" had something akin to chakras, that a paladin could meditate on to tap into? Not really sold on the term "chakra" of course, more the concept.

For instance, let's say the soul had a "3rd eye chakra"; you tap into it, it slowly drains soul pool, you get a passive perception buff of some sort, and maybe your smites cause your opponent to glow, making it harder to hide. Maybe extended use causes eye bleeders or something, kind of a stigmata thing?

Additional chakras could be unlocked as we level, with each providing a small passive, and then modifying smite or protect in some way while active.

Asceticism brings to mind a warrior monk of sorts, maybe that could be the paladin niche, monks in full plate haha...
Re: Brainstorm 01/29/2017 01:08 AM CST
>For instance, let's say the soul had a "3rd eye chakra"; you tap into it, it slowly drains soul pool, you get a passive perception buff of some sort, and maybe your smites cause your opponent to glow, making it harder to hide. Maybe extended use causes eye bleeders or something, kind of a stigmata thing?

Someone's been watching anime, particularly Naruto I think.

I like the mechanical idea as described. Historically ascetic ideals often lead to extremity, such as self-flagellation. I don't know if that exact method fits into the Paladin wheelhouse but it's an idea ripe for exploring IMO.

Asceticism is often linked with orders of monks but applying the fantasy archetype of a monk to the Paladin guild could be tricky. Inner fire is basically chakra by another name, and Barbs already have forms/masteries/meditations, so they have the "martial artist monk" angle covered. The thematic image (staff-wielding religious types) is also present in both the Cleric guild and strongly in one Moon Mage sect (both have the title Monk available).

Paladins do seem to fit the moral aesthetic best if/when asceticism becomes a reality, so don't let the imagery being taken by another guild stop your rp angle though. A well-played Paladin could be a monk even if the title isn't available to him.
Re: Brainstorm 01/30/2017 06:48 PM CST
<<Someone's been watching anime, particularly Naruto I think.>>

Heh, I have seen it, but that's not what I was going for, I was talking the hindu/buddhist chakra, which is more like a spiritual energy focal point in the body. Maybe "anchors" would be a good term? Like the soul is more powerfully anchored to certain areas, and paladin's are able to further enhance these anchor points through meditation.

<<Historically ascetic ideals often lead to extremity, such as self-flagellation. I don't know if that exact method fits into the Paladin wheelhouse but it's an idea ripe for exploring IMO.>>

Yeah, agree with you here, I think self-flagellation to power abilities might be a bit strange, but maybe the stigmata angle, or just vitality drain (basically using physical strength to empower spiritual strength), could be options.
Re: Brainstorm 02/01/2017 07:38 PM CST
So, question for you: When do you use Protect Deflect over Protect Cover? Levels 4-39? Or is there actually a situation where Deflect is preferable?

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Brainstorm 02/01/2017 08:18 PM CST
>>DR-Javac: So, question for you: When do you use Protect Deflect over Protect Cover? Levels 4-39? Or is there actually a situation where Deflect is preferable?

When I want to be chivalrous but not that chivalrous (when I want to protect someone while hunting on the cusp of my defense capabilities, so that failures don't result in taking additional damage).

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Paladin new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Paladin_new_player_guide

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: Brainstorm 02/02/2017 07:14 AM CST
>>DR-Javac: So, question for you: When do you use Protect Deflect over Protect Cover? Levels 4-39? Or is there actually a situation where Deflect is preferable?

I never use Cover. At my levels of skill Deflect is more then enough and I don't have to worry about fiddling with my stances to ensure my own survival.

When I was a lowbie paladin, I'd choose based on threat/need. Cover was handy for a situation I absolutely wanted an attack to not reach (RP events, healer protection, outclassed enemy). Deflect was my go-to for lower risk situations where only taking off part of the attack would be enough to save the person I was covering.

I appreciate having both options though, it's one of my favorite Paladin abilities, and one I use daily.

Samsaren
Re: Brainstorm 02/02/2017 08:21 AM CST
I'm a fan of the sacrificial Paladin RP.

https://memegenerator.net/instance/75269369
Re: Brainstorm 02/10/2017 02:45 PM CST
How about something the beefs up Shield Usage? For instance, if we fail to defend with our shield, rather than rolling against parry or evasion, the attack rolls against shield usage again. Rutilor would be a good match.

Also, something that allows our shields to become great defense against magic. Meraud, maybe?
Re: Brainstorm 02/10/2017 02:56 PM CST

> How about something the beefs up Shield Usage? For instance, if we fail to defend with our shield, rather than rolling against parry or evasion, the attack rolls against shield usage again. Rutilor would be a good match.

That's an interesting idea, but remove the God (or at least named God) from the roll. Make it active and a direct contest against sacred insight, and anything that boosts sacred insight boosts this ability. Drain a little soul on use. It's a failsafe in the same way thieves have a failsafe against blowing a trap.
Re: Brainstorm 02/10/2017 03:23 PM CST
My only objection to pure defensive abilities is I think we're already pretty strong defensively, and defense can be boring when you've got limited offense to back it up (mostly due to range limitations -- the meleedin problem -- and skill set placement).

FWIW, I sent the following in an email to describe what in my opinion would make the biggest difference:

>• Some viable attack at range;
>• Some sort of engagement mechanic (e.g. reduced advance time a la khri shadowstep, something to pull people to melee, etc.);
>• Some more debilitation options (we only have stun or immobilize due to diminishing returns and a non-replaceable 1.5 minute shatter that's meh outside the ~6 second shield drop) -- I can see glyph debilitations or, even better IMO, smite debilitations because smite is largely useless right now;
>• A way to punish stealthies without completely removing their ability to be effective;
>• More shield attacks/maneuvers than just slam (shield offense stat enhancement would be amazing, too);
>• Solo utility for group abilities (protects and lead are good group-oriented abilities, but the fact that they're group only means they see little use).

>On the last item, I feel we're already the best in the game at protecting people through Protect and other abilities/spells, and we have easily the best large group buff in the game (lead). The problem is those abilities offer no solo utility and an ability that can be used only in groups is an ability that doesn't get used [much] in DR. If Protect or Lead (by another name, like... Faiths) had solo use, they'd be truly amazing. Let's say, for instance, Protect Deflect, when used solo, deflected a portion of damage back at the attacker at the expense of some soul juice. What if Protect Cover could provide DFA protection when solo?

>...

>*Note: I don't mind taking a stealthy attack because that's just par for the course, but when you can't search someone out, their tactic often becomes attack and immediately hide, wait, repeat. That means we spend a lot of time idle just waiting for the next attack, which can be very boring. Paladin TM is not good enough to knock someone out of hiding.

I figured they might serve as talking points posted here.

P.S. After the latest awesome holy weapon changes (seriously excited for the change weapon change to hit live), I'd really love to see it become a bigger part of our repertoire. IMO, it should bonus other abilities when held (e.g. lower soul pool cost of abilities by serving as a conduit or focus for soul energy).
Re: Brainstorm 02/10/2017 05:26 PM CST
>>2dumbarse: On the last item, I feel we're already the best in the game at protecting people through Protect and other abilities/spells, and we have easily the best large group buff in the game (lead). The problem is those abilities offer no solo utility and an ability that can be used only in groups is an ability that doesn't get used [much] in DR. If Protect or Lead (by another name, like... Faiths) had solo use, they'd be truly amazing. Let's say, for instance, Protect Deflect, when used solo, deflected a portion of damage back at the attacker at the expense of some soul juice. What if Protect Cover could provide DFA protection when solo?

Solo applications of our current group/partner abilities would be amazing. I like Warbrolus's ideas for protect deflect and cover.

Possible solo use of lead: buffs asceticism, discipline, and charisma; allows use of a command to refill soul pool at the expense of spirit (restricted to pristine souls).

QoL suggestion for the current version of lead: Please allow Paladins to lead if they are members of a group (instead of having to be the leader of the group). That way Paladins can help during invasions without being responsible for traveling from room to room. It would also allow them to join existing groups and use lead without having to transfer leadership of the group.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Paladin new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Paladin_new_player_guide

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: Brainstorm 02/11/2017 02:39 AM CST
"My only objection to pure defensive abilities is I think we're already pretty strong defensively, and defense can be boring when you've got limited offense to back it up (mostly due to range limitations -- the meleedin problem -- and skill set placement)."

Agreed, but that's why I was thinking of something where our shield could defend against magic. Maybe even it could be a Damaris thing where we steal the spell's magic and turn it into vitality. That way, other guilds would be more inclined to engage us at melee.

With an armor primary, I think we should be a defense-first guild. I just think we need more abilities that force other guilds into melee combat. Buffing shield usage to handle stealth/magic/ranged would be one way at least of making that happen. It would also give us an identity that coincides with our primary skill. Because morality, souls, and armor do not coincide with one another.
Re: Brainstorm 02/11/2017 09:02 AM CST
>With an armor primary, I think we should be a defense-first guild. I just think we need more abilities that force other guilds into melee combat. Buffing shield usage to handle stealth/magic/ranged would be one way at least of making that happen. It would also give us an identity that coincides with our primary skill. Because morality, souls, and armor do not coincide with one another.

I thought the same thing a couple of years ago when 3.1 rolled out and our offense took a significant hit. I posted that I thought if we were going to be meleedins, then we should have abilities that make us even more difficult to attack at range, thinking that would force people to melee. Then I kept sparring like I did pre-3.1. What I found is you can't force people to want to go melee. They'll keep slinging spells and/or ranged attacks and try to find clever ways around exceptional ranged defense, including stacking debils and/or exploiting known OP spells/abilities. They might keep missing or doing insignificant damage and keep running because why would anyone play to an opponent's strengths in combat? This isn't hyperbole. I've had to call spars because they were going nowhere after 20 minutes.

Improved ranged defense is also not that great against creatures either. Not that PvE is hard, but other guilds can kill much faster, and they aren't at an obvious defensive disadvantage while doing it. I'm not at all against defense, and I like your suggestions. I'd just like to see some offense to go with the beefed up defense, even if it's in the form of damage reflection or thorns.

>QoL suggestion for the current version of lead: Please allow Paladins to lead if they are members of a group (instead of having to be the leader of the group). That way Paladins can help during invasions without being responsible for traveling from room to room. It would also allow them to join existing groups and use lead without having to transfer leadership of the group.

+1
Re: Brainstorm 02/12/2017 12:29 AM CST
>They'll keep slinging spells and/or ranged attacks and try to find clever ways around exceptional ranged defense, including stacking debils and/or exploiting known OP spells/abilities. They might keep missing or doing insignificant damage and keep running because why would anyone play to an opponent's strengths in combat? This isn't hyperbole. I've had to call spars because they were going nowhere after 20 minutes.

Pretty much.

Abilities also exist that heavily mitigate Paladin advantages (i.e. shield and armor). Paladins just need more offensive firepower, plain and simple.
Re: Brainstorm 02/12/2017 02:31 AM CST
I guess I just mean that right now most of our useful abilities are via a tertiary skill set (magic). I don't think any other guild has to go through that. I was hoping to convince the devs to create a useful skill set that focused on the thing we primarily train.
Re: Brainstorm 02/12/2017 08:24 AM CST
I wouldn't say paladins are any worse off than other magic tert guilds. They just have a few of their abilities oriented around a group, as is their kit, and their abilities aren't "wow" except for the bonus stance points - but that's almost a magic tertiary perk since all but one magic tert has armor at least secondary.

> I guess I just mean that right now most of our useful abilities are via a tertiary skill set (magic). I don't think any other guild has to go through that. I was hoping to convince the devs to create a useful skill set that focused on the thing we primarily train.

- Rangers, except snipe, beseeches, stance points, and dual-load*.

- Thieves, except snipe, ambushes, dual-load* and backstab.

- Paladins, except smite, glyphs, protect, stance points, arm-worn shields, and lead.

- Barbarians, except dual-load*, stance points, basic magic resistance, and whirlwind.

- Traders, currently they don't even get the tert skillset, but they will be restricted when/if they do.

* Still requires a tertiary skill to use.
Re: Brainstorm 02/12/2017 10:01 AM CST
>I guess I just mean that right now most of our useful abilities are via a tertiary skill set (magic). I don't think any other guild has to go through that. I was hoping to convince the devs to create a useful skill set that focused on the thing we primarily train.

I get what you're saying. I don't expect we'll ever have a backstab or even a dual load because that's just not practical for a high defense guild, like you alluded to, but hopefully Asceticism opens the door for more varied abilities powered off or bonused by a primary skill. In my ideal world, we'd have more abilities that served both offensive and defensive purposes alongside simple mundane attacks like a ranged buff, beefed up smite and/or whatever else makes sense. For instance, you were able to strike me, now you're cursed, have reduced confidence or whatever.

DR is an atypical game when trying to think in terms of strengths and weaknesses because everyone can do everything with the exception of stuff that falls squarely within a guild's theme. A guild that can quickly empty a room of creatures isn't significantly less defensively capable because they usually have buffs and debilitations to cover their deficiencies. Even after the barrier rewrite, people will still be able to go toe-to-toe with 4 creatures, so I don't think that's the perfect answer.

Now, obviously, I didn't join the paladin guild to clear rooms, but even pre-3.0 I had a half-strength thrown weapon buff and an ability that let me overcome some of the challenges of relying on mundane secondary weapon attacks against a single enemy in limited-use smite. Hell, we had a ranged buff in 3.0, but it was taken away entirely in 3.1 for some reason that's still unclear to me since nobody else who had a ranged weapon buff lost the ability to buff ranged weapons entirely IIRC. (I mention that because hopefully it means a ranged weapon buff or attack is not off the table in the future.)

>- Paladins, except smite, glyphs, protect, stance points, arm-worn shields, and lead.

FWIW, smite is not significantly better than a slice any guild can do. I've posted data in another thread here way back when and don't feel like digging it up, but a simple draw is essentially better than a smite. If smite did more, like debilitate (similar to thief ambushes), or did anything better than a regular attack, it'd make a huge difference. Pre-3.0, smite was awesome. It just didn't convert well.
Re: Brainstorm 02/12/2017 10:51 AM CST

> I get what you're saying. I don't expect we'll ever have a backstab or even a dual load because that's just not practical for a high defense guild, like you alluded to, but hopefully Asceticism opens the door for more varied abilities powered off or bonused by a primary skill

I completely agree. I think they need more help in that area, and I personally love the idea of a thorns-like effect via the guild skill. A way to turn defending into a damaging maneuver. I think it'll be interesting to see how that turns you. You can turn into debuffs that weaken balance, evasion, position, or any number of other defenses on the target that attacked you without thinking, or you can make it a counter-attack type move that gives you a moment of opportunity.

> FWIW, smite is not significantly better than a slice any guild can do.

Separate problem, and I think it should be. There are lots of options to improve this, but I guess it's not a high priority.
Re: Brainstorm 02/12/2017 07:07 PM CST
>> I get what you're saying. I don't expect we'll ever have a backstab or even a dual load because that's just not practical for a high defense guild

I absolutely disagree. We're not a high defense guild. Rangers and Barbarians, by skillset, trump us. Additionally, we cannot bonus the 3 primary defenses (many guilds can). While we've always paraded around with the label, we've NEVER been the paramount defensive minded guild. We're the heavy armor guild, and armor prime doesn't (yet) have a fancy way to shine like some of the others.

> FWIW, smite is not significantly better than a slice any guild can do.

Allowing Paladins to choose the attack bonused by SMITE, ala SMITE DRAW or SMITE CHOP, would go a long way to bringing this ability back to the fore of my toolbox. As it stands now, I don't use it in serious combat because DRAW and CHOP out perform it.

Samsaren
Re: Brainstorm 02/12/2017 10:48 PM CST
>Allowing Paladins to choose the attack bonused by SMITE, ala SMITE DRAW or SMITE CHOP, would go a long way to bringing this ability back to the fore of my toolbox. As it stands now, I don't use it in serious combat because DRAW and CHOP out perform it.

I honestly can't tell the difference between a smite and a slice. I just tried again now. I kill at roughly the same speed burning through a full smite pool than straight slicing with a pristine soul at 80 base charisma, which is at or near top end smite bonus. Even if I could smite draw, I don't think I'd notice a difference over a normal draw. In 2.0, as you know, you couldn't smite back-to-back, but it was a very noticeable strike relative to a regular old slice. Smite needs more than a draw or chop option to be more than a gimmick for me.

I made a suggestion apart from smite debilitations to give smite the ability to extend a strike to pole or missile with skill and charisma. In other words, at around 35 charisma, a paladin might be able to smite from pole with a melee weapon. At 70, she might be able to smite from missile. The idea is the paladin channels her soul to extend the weapon’s range for that one attack. The weapon is like a focus for her soul power. Uses shield slam if no weapon in hand. Something like that would really spice up smite if it stayed just a [slightly better?] regular slice, draw, chop, etc.

I think there are a lot of options for massively improving the guild while keeping most of our current abilities (if in name only for some), like I've stated for years, if they were just beefed up to live in this era of DR.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the key [abstract] problems we face are:

• We were relegated to melee with the ranged buff removal in a game where it takes 10 seconds to get to melee and 0 seconds to retreat, and CRC doesn't fix this. A glyph that reduces engagement time and fixing CRC could resolve this. The ranged smite I suggested above and/or a ranged buff of any sort would also help.

• Our debilitation suite is very weak. Smite and halt share diminishing returns and shatter is non-replaceable and lasts a minute and a half at cap, so we're pretty idle a lot of times. New debilitating glyphs or smites can fix this.

• We need a way to counter back-to-back-to-back stealth attacks. Fighting stealthies can be very boring because they control the entire fight and they like to stay hidden the whole time, which is not hard with stun-hiders, EM, invis, etc. Not knocking the tactic; I'd do it, too, but we need a counter to the back-to-back-to-back part because lolpaladinaoetm. New smites can fix (like a smite that sweeps at shadows), and/or a glyph that adds stealth hindrance to opponent's armor for ranged opponents

• No reliable primary skill set attack, which can be very bothersome when coupled with the very limited debilitation problem. (Shield slam is meh because shield offensive stats stink.) This might be fixed using glyphs or spells to enhance shield offense stats and glyphs or smites that debilitate.

• Our group abilities are really great but have no solo utility, so they're not used much. This can be fixed by renaming lead and giving lead and protects solo functionality like mentioned in this thread

You might say it's not that simple because then what's the difference between a debilitation spell and a debilitation glyph or smite? It's a good question. In the past I proposed going with the idea that glyphs might only work with mundane tools, which would shift some things around (e.g. DA would become a glyph and glyph of mana would become a spell). The idea is a paladin is more mundane, tool-oriented than a mage. S/he doesn't do much conjuring, so debilitation glyphs might center around weakening armor and weapons or making weapons and armor do extraordinary things. Rather than debilitating evasion with a spell, a paladin might trace a glyph on an opponent's armor to make it more hindering. The paladin might have a CoZ like glyph as well or a glyph that makes weapons less effective. How about adding weight or RT to a weapon without improving its damage stats? What if glyph of ease could be traced on leg armor to assist a paladin in getting to melee and the fatigue buff were rolled into a spell or lead or something? How about rolling bond armaments into glyph of bonding and giving us a ranged buffing spell?

Anyway... The problems are important because I think the best suggestions will touch on solutions to our key problems, so if I missed something, please share.
Re: Brainstorm 02/12/2017 11:34 PM CST
> Barbarians, except dual-load*, stance points, basic magic resistance, and whirlwind.

BMR doesn't exist anymore in it's previous form. Now they have generic NMU magic resistance along with Thieves (and Traders for the moment), but the base resistance only works out to about 1 mana, so it's hardly worth writing home about. Their anti-magic affinity these days comes in the form of their powerful list of active magic defenses, which all require significant (500+ as a tert) Warding ranks to reach their full potential.

On another note, I never realized Paladins didn't have Parry and evasion boosting spells. That definitely seems like an oversight. I feel like those should both be pushed out immediately. I know evasion is available via scrolls but it seems like the most basic of buffs, and Paladins should in theory be kings of defensive abilities.
Re: Brainstorm 02/13/2017 08:54 AM CST

> On another note, I never realized Paladins didn't have Parry and evasion boosting spells. That definitely seems like an oversight. I feel like those should both be pushed out immediately.

I agree with this. If coding new spells is too time consuming, they could always just add parry to Sentinel's Resolve and Evasion to Veteran's Insight.
Re: Brainstorm 02/13/2017 08:57 AM CST
>On another note, I never realized Paladins didn't have Parry and evasion boosting spells. That definitely seems like an oversight. I feel like those should both be pushed out immediately. I know evasion is available via scrolls but it seems like the most basic of buffs, and Paladins should in theory be kings of defensive abilities.

We had them in 3.0, but they were removed in 3.1 for reasons that are still unclear to me. The reason given IIRC was that we had too many defense skill buffs, but then every other guild that could buff evasion, parry and shield, as far as I know, kept all three. Many paladins have asked for restoration of at least the evasion buff. At one point it was clarified that the problem wasn't we could buff too many things in 3.0, but our evasion, parry and shield buff lived in the same spell. We stated, okay, well, Veteran (evasion) was originally its own spell when announced in 3.0, but it was made a metaspell to make our lives a little easier. Just make it its own spell and have it buff evasion again. Problem solved. That's been the position for years. Even pre-3.0, like with thrown weapons, we could buff more than shield skill(parry).

People's perception that Paladins have high defense comes from plate. A cleric or warmage, let alone a barb or ranger, can avoid an attack better than we, but we can mitigate more damage through plate and armor skill. That's it and it is what it is. After years of advocating for the return of an evasion and/or parry and ranged buff, I'm tired of that issue. I've moved on to ranged attacks and debilitation because that's been a much bigger problem for me. Being very defensive means nothing when I can't hurt an at-level target that wants to stay away despite our 2 debilitation options.
Re: Brainstorm 02/13/2017 02:49 PM CST
>>We had them in 3.0, but they were removed in 3.1 for reasons that are still unclear to me. The reason given IIRC was that we had too many defense skill buffs,

It was because we could buff all 3 via one spell, so Veteran's Insight was changed so that SR is Shield/Defending/Reflex, instead of Shield/Parry/Evasion. It was mentioned that would could see Evasion/parry buffs returned but as separate spells. Sadly, that, like the Anti-DFA spell we're allotted, hasn't had a chance to manifest of yet.

Samsaren
Re: Brainstorm 02/13/2017 02:54 PM CST

<People's perception that Paladins have high defense comes from plate. A cleric or warmage, let alone a barb or ranger, can avoid an attack better than we, but we can mitigate more damage through plate and armor skill.>

This. So much this.
real quick, imma do some math with meh numbers.

so for arguments sake lets say the paladin has enough ranks in plate to mitigate 20% of the damage over average.(nowhere near enough dodge because paladinevasionlol)

the other guild (lets say thieves) has enough evasion to dodge 20% of attacks. (plus theyre still wearing armor thatll come later)

just for relativity purposes.

at 100 attacks a paladin has received the full effect of 80 attacks

the thief has received anywhere between 54(good rng on thiefs part) and 90(failed all dodges, only takes into effect 10% per hit from armor).

point being, having good damage mitigation does not make up for evasion being a necessary defensive skill.

(once again not the actual numbers IG, just generals. we all know an equal circled survival prime will hide 95% of the time and chain debuffs to make sure you never even get to test out their evasion skill.)

let our prowess with shields be used to substitute shield for evasion in checks if our shield is higher.
Re: Brainstorm 02/13/2017 04:00 PM CST
A thorough analysis on defense is very difficult because barriers, stealth and debilitation spells skew the picture. If we just take the practical approach, passive defense alone is boring. Who wants to be the wait-to-get-hit and chase-people-down guild? Raesh touched on that problem a while back, and that's central to the problems I discussed in a previous post regarding our limited range, debilitations and stealth counters.
Re: Brainstorm 02/13/2017 05:28 PM CST

I feel like another thing that holds us down is the way some skills are divided into skillsets.

Evasion should not be survival (unless the game had more pitfall reflex style traps)

Parry is much more of a defensive skill.

basically weapon/armor/survival (NM combat) could be better redone to offense/defense/survival where offense is things that predominantly offer offense, defense most positively affects defense/ and survival affects both equally (stealth, perc)

having extra stance points doesn't really make up for having a defensive primary skill pool that doesn't include the 2 best defenses in parry and evasion. especially not when the other skillsets have skills outside of the skillset focus (weapon has parry, survival has evasion/stealth)

I guess technically we have shield bash to cover one gap, but even with a damite tower shield, I do laughable damage.
Re: Brainstorm 02/13/2017 05:43 PM CST
>>I feel like another thing that holds us down is the way some skills are divided into skillsets.

>>Evasion should not be survival (unless the game had more pitfall reflex style traps)

>>Parry is much more of a defensive skill.

I always felt these placements were intended by design, and that's why the armor skillset wasn't called the defense skillset.

The weapon and armor skillsets are both pretty pigeonholed into what they can contain/accomplish, but armor suffers more because it's a much smaller diversity cluster.

For what it's worth, I don't think Paladins should be the evasive gods of the game. It does make a ton more sense from a thematic standpoint that Rangers and Thieves get that award.

That isn't to say the armor skill set doesn't need something, and that because it needs something Paladins in particular suffer, but I do struggle to think what it could be.

Maybe as a short-term thing, the hindrance of shields should scale down by skillset placement as notably as armor does, and that should include any limitations to using them with some weapons. IIRC, tower shields still aren't appealing for all Paladins because the hindrance ding is still notable, so maybe it should work more like heavy plate.

Re: Brainstorm 02/14/2017 12:49 PM CST
Although the armor skill set discussion is accurate, it rubs me as beyond the scope here. The armor skill set requires more fundamental changes, which affect every guild. To even have a discussion about improving the armor skill set, we need to know the answers to questions like, "Why, other than TDPs, would I want to train any more than one or two sets of armor as a member of any guild?" Right now, if TDPs didn't matter and armor wasn't already the smallest skill set, you could totally get by with only "Light armor skill" and "Heavy armor skill." Then how do you plug the gaps? An armor mastery skill that gives milestone perks like reducing stealth hindrance and granting new shield attacks? Do you add a Barrier skill that's factored into the strength of magical and supernatural barriers? I dunno, but all that takes a lot of time.

In any case, I think Asceticism, which will be a new armor skill for us, certainly has the potential to make a chasm of difference through the abilities it powers whether we call them glyphs, leads, auras, faiths or whatever. Regarding new abilities, at the top of my wish list is something like Wolverine form or Khri Shadowstep, a ranged buff that covers thematically appropriate ranged weapons (crossbows and thrown weaps?), some sort of back-to-back stealth attack prevention and new paladiny debilitations (like a glyph of sunder that severely hurts durability or a glyph that adds armor hindrance). Curse and spirit protection spells and/or abilities would be great, too. Protection agains spirit attacks and armor debilitations (e.g. CoZ) makes thematic sense IMO.

With regard to the stuff we've got now, a RUE-like spell for shields would be awesome (to make shield slam more useful) and bug/QoL fixes for abilities and spells that need them would be amazing, too.
Re: Brainstorm 02/14/2017 02:26 PM CST
>>With regard to the stuff we've got now, a RUE-like spell for shields would be awesome (to make shield slam more useful) and bug/QoL fixes for abilities and spells that need them would be amazing, too.

Not to cherry pick from your post (as you and I are largely in agreement), on this note I think DA could easily cover such. If anything, the ratio of conversion for shield stats to shield damage stats could stand a review. As it is there's no difference in damage between a store bought 140 stone Tower and a 500+ Quest reinforced Pavise. The mechanic that decides shield stats is a bit dated, and not up to modern combat.

On a similar vein, a pass on the actual mechanics of SLAM could likely use some moving, OR adding a maneuver with some much needed extra 'umph' could work too.

Samsaren