Sacrifice 01/06/2018 07:53 AM CST
Theres a reckoning a coming
And it burns beyond the grave
There's lead inside my belly
'cause my soul has lost its way

Oh Lazarus, how did your debts get paid?
Oh Lazarus, were you so afraid?

On the surface of things, being a Paladin is a pretty nice deal. They enjoy a privileged place in society and a level of spiritual exaltation so profound it borders on profane. The Paladin Guild is austere by convention but does not require any ordination or vows. A Paladin is encouraged to follow Chadatru in an earnest, personal manner free from many hierarchical responsibilities.

Then the soul calls.

It's hard to describe the experience of the sanctified soul. A Paladin that does right by his sanctification can feel a deep sensation that is a blessed mix of fulfillment and glory, sometimes to the point of dangerous hubris. Yet things come crashing down very, very quickly should a Paladin start faltering. The sanctified soul does not exert any direct control over the Paladin's mind, but it can certainly be felt. Shame and coldness and emptiness follows a breach of the sanctified soul's rigid ethics, and even just the act of passivity and contentment causes a slow, noticeable decline from the heights of conviction in a way that's been described like a pervasive depression.

The soul calls for the Paladin to act.

One of the truths that slowly trickles down among Paladins despite the silence of the Paladin Council is that the sanctified soul exists in a positive feedback loop. Good deeds (insofar as the ethic is concerned) feed the Paladin's soul... and the Paladin, in a knot of psychological dependence and spiritual need, can become dependent on that experience of holiness. Many Paladins are capable of finding equilibrium, but a Paladin knows, in his bones, that there is more to do, more wrongs to right, and greater communion to achieve with his soul.

The soul calls for the Paladin to sacrifice.

If the holy ethic has one unifying principle, it's that a Paladin sacrifices for others. Sacrifices of time, of energy, even of money all cause spiritual rejoice. Not all sacrifices are equal, nor do they necessarily have to be, but the theme is that the Paladin puts a piece of themself, in some abstract (or distressingly literal) way, out there for the benefit of others.

These two forces can intertwine in a dangerous way. A Paladin who fails to temper the calling will find themself called to greater and greater sacrifice, chasing greater and greater spiritual reward. Such a Paladin can put themself in tremendous risk for sometimes bafflingly little reason, yet still it has some benefit: the soul inflames, spiritual power flows and theosis seems all but guaranteed.

The soul calls for the Paladin to sacrifice, even in death.

The Invisible Flame is a path towards immortality, more theoretical than practical, that proposes that a sufficiently powerful soul can resist the pull of the Starry Road and perpetuate itself eternally as a spiritual being. Members of the clergy sometimes play with the idea, but Paladins are uniquely situated to make the attempt and, after a life time of sacrifice, reap a wholesome and powerful reward.

Yet that... doesn't happen. Not routinely. There are tales of Paladins that exceed death briefly, gloriously, vibrantly. But they leave. Inevitably, a Paladin so in tune with the soul's need to sacrifice is called at last to the sacrifice of their soul.

This truth has evoked horror in more than one Paladin, who finally find a sacrifice extreme enough to balk at. But it doesn't stop all of them. What drives a person, or spirit in this case, to not just sacrifice but sacrifice everything, including the possibility of doing further good, at the feet of... what exactly?

That is an excellent question.

Oh Lazarus, how did your debts get paid?
Oh Lazarus, were you so afraid?

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Sacrifice 01/06/2018 08:07 AM CST
I like how you made sense of all of the very disparate and strange systems for Paladins.

Not so sure about the obvious necromancer analog. The soul-heroin-junky aspect is pretty cool though. Haven't seen that one before. Looking forward to more.
Re: Sacrifice 01/06/2018 09:19 AM CST

As I read this, I think back to the Magician's book series (not the TV series).

> “This isn’t how it ends!” Quentin said. “I am the hero of this #@$ #%$^$ story, Ember! Remember? And the hero gets the reward!”

> “No Quentin,” [Ember] said. “The hero pays the price.”

> “He had finished his quest, and it had cost him everything and everyone he’d done it for. The equation balanced perfectly: all cancelled out. And without his crown, or his throne, or Fillory, or even his friends, he had no idea who he was. But something had changed inside him too. He didn’t understand it yet, but he felt it. Somehow, even though he’d lost everything, he felt more like a king now than he ever did when he was one. Not like a toy king. He felt real.”

I really hope this works out to be something without an oppressive burden mechanically.
Re: Sacrifice 01/06/2018 09:39 AM CST
The magicians is probably one of the best novels I've read when taken as a whole. It's such an amazing deconstruction of the children's hero journey while having realistic lessons.
Re: Sacrifice 01/06/2018 10:33 AM CST
I enjoy diving down the rabbit hole of Lore by Armifer, it's always a neat read.

Samsaren
Re: Sacrifice 01/06/2018 02:10 PM CST
>>Not so sure about the obvious necromancer analog.

Honestly I was more going for Obi-wan Kenobi there.

>>The soul-heroin-junky aspect is pretty cool though. Haven't seen that one before.

I realized half way through revising the soul stuff that this was veering towards a metaphor for addiction, but for what it's worth that wasn't my initial intention. Yet, on examination I think it's accurate to depict spiritual zeal, especially an exaggerated fantasy form of it, as psychologically addictive.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Sacrifice 01/06/2018 03:05 PM CST
>I realized half way through revising the soul stuff that this was veering towards a metaphor for addiction, but for what it's worth that wasn't my initial intention. Yet, on examination I think it's accurate to depict spiritual zeal, especially an exaggerated fantasy form of it, as psychologically addictive.

Actually, that was specifically what I liked. That there's a sort of feedback loop on the sacrifice/etc. It's too easy for us to put pedestals up on noble sacrifice. Knowing that the Paladins are basically getting high off of this gives it a lot more flavor and depth than just a normal noble sacrifice type thing.
Re: Sacrifice 01/06/2018 04:11 PM CST

> The magicians is probably one of the best novels I've read when taken as a whole. It's such an amazing deconstruction of the children's hero journey while having realistic lessons.

Off topic, but I agree. It was okay writing that was carried by a fantastic concept. I highly recommend it.