Prev_page Previous 1
Fallen Paladin 06/11/2008 06:10 PM CDT
Per comment by DEVAN. Restarting here.
<<This is the wrong place to discuss it. I'm going to start reading the Soul folder today, and depending on how big it is, I should finish soon. I think that would be a better place to discuss this.>>

Fallen Paladin:
Rather then changing everything up, why not gear a few abilities/spells/titles suited to a "black soul". This way someone could RP a Dark Paladin, not having access to what most would consider a Good Paladin's abilities. After all, if you want to be a Dark Paladin who kills people, who cares if you soul is tanked, that is what your after anyways.

A simple fix is to add abilities tied to the other spectrum of soul state. Just an idea for discussion purposes.

Ackfer - Halfling in a Can, No Fillers Here!
Re: Fallen Paladin 06/11/2008 08:05 PM CDT
>>A simple fix is to add abilities tied to the other spectrum of soul state. Just an idea for discussion purposes.

For many years, our guild guidance clearly stated that there was no such thing as a "Fallen Paladin". From recent discussions, the idea of allowing a Paladin to tank their soul if they are willing to "pay the price" AND allow some specialized abilities to only be available to ONLY those with tanked souls. Given that change, really, I personally have no problem with developing abilities specifically and ONLY for those with black souls or worse.

Redarch
Dwarf with an Axe.. Watch your toes!
Re: Fallen Paladin 06/11/2008 09:28 PM CDT
Personally speaking I have no issue with such as long as folks are sitting around with nothing better to do. I look at it funnier though if making something for 5% of the guild takes away from time spent working on the normal stuffs for everyone else.

Leucius

Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Re: Fallen Paladin 06/11/2008 09:34 PM CDT
I agree with Leucius but there are 100% fallen paladins in these lands. Coriks wall is the perfect example
Re: Fallen Paladin 06/11/2008 09:43 PM CDT
>> Personally speaking I have no issue with such as long as folks are sitting around with nothing better to do. I look at it funnier though if making something for 5% of the guild takes away from time spent working on the normal stuffs for everyone else.

This.

I also highly recommend you folks read up on the Faith system.
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Faiths

~Thilan
Re: Fallen Paladin 06/11/2008 10:04 PM CDT
So what can't you do as a fallen paladin? How much of a "pain" is it?
Re: Fallen Paladin 06/11/2008 10:35 PM CDT
>>So what can't you do as a fallen paladin? How much of a "pain" is it?

Everything.

You become a commoner who learns armor at a primary rate.
A surge of intense heat lands a glancing strike to a gypsy marauder's verse!
A surge of intense heat lands a good hit to a morah vine's neck!

Behold the power of Bards: your verse shall be smitten.
Re: Fallen Paladin 06/12/2008 12:41 AM CDT
>>I also highly recommend you folks read up on the Faith system.

Not sure how you mean. There's nothing to read up on. I've been waiting for new details on Faiths since they were first announced.

And before I actually make a post, I want to add in a bit of information that I think is relevant, but not everyone is aware of. This was posted about a month ago by GM Armifer:

Holy Mana results from the past, present and future presence of the Immortals. Because of its short wavelength, Holy mana requires something extra from the caster. The purity of a Cleric's devotion or a Paladin's soul state allows them to tap into the latent Holy mana.

Appearance: Golden. By default it has almost no substance, like a shadow of a real mana stream. Clerics perceive it getting more "real" as their Devotion increases. Paladins see it as "real" all the time, but its appearance reflects their soul. Diseased blotches appear around the Paladin in proportion to the amount of sin and hubris in his soul. Even with a pristine soul, they never go away entirely.

-- http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Mana

---
"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth..
And the truth isn't what you want to see.
In the dark, it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be." - Erik Claudin
Re: Fallen Paladin 06/12/2008 01:20 AM CDT
Okay.

So, when I'm thinking about new directions of development, I like to begin with definitions. I want to know what things ARE before I talk about what they can DO. Otherwise, we'll be breaking established canon on what is and isn't real in DR.

Before I start with the questions for definitions, though, I want to explain what I believe in brief. I think this is the first time I've done this on the forums, so bear with me. I'll make it as short as possible. You can ignore it if you really want to. =)

===

Development of Character

A person's character concept is driven primarily by meaningful choices: choices where taking one path means you can't take the other path. Where the opportunity cost is billed and paid. The purpose of a guild, in these strict terms, is to provide Powers. It is to make it possible for your character to Do things. Advancement is thus understood to be an increase in powers, plain and simple. But the above rule requires that advancement happen along a path, and that path should have branches in it.

Nota bene: While I realize it may sound that way, I am in no way endorsing DA's fallen paladin ideas. I may, in the days of discussion to come, but I am not convinced yet.

The Political Guild

While the above was an OOC take on what a guild is, it also cannot be forgotten that a guild is an IC entity. Every guild has a R&D component, an administrative component, and a public face. Guildleaders make deliberate decisions on what guild members are allowed to learn. Members are indoctrinated upon joining, often harshly, and their allegiance is often demanded with deathly strictness. They have leaders, relationships with other guilds and other political entities, histories, radicals, rules, secrets--everything you can expect any organization to have.

This is the IC-OOC dynamic in designing for a guild: while they can act in concert, it's more typical that this is a tense tug-of-war that fails to reliably produce an enjoyable game experience. But it's still there, and it must be accounted for.

===

This is my first set of questions to answer:

- What is a Paladin? Who is she? Where is the boundary?
- What is soul, in general? What is sin?
- What is soul, specifically for Paladins? What does a pristine soul mean? What defines "fallen"?

My second set would get into abilities that are powered by soul, and the "how and why" of it.

I have some small understanding of this, but the history of this folder was utterly unenlightening, and I am resorting to the snippets that have been dropped by GMs in various other places for my knowledge.

Thus, I'd like to see what Redarch, Madigan, Leucius, Thilan, and other more established paladins have as answers to my queries. I know that not all of it is relevant, but all of it does paint a picture, and it's the larger picture that I'm interested, to start with.

---
"Close your eyes -
Re: Fallen Paladin 06/12/2008 08:52 AM CDT
<<There's nothing to read up on.

There are a couple of great posts on the topic in the GM Paladin Folder. I will post the links when I get a moment to search for them.

<<What is a Paladin? Who is she? Where is the boundary?

Many posts on this and many debates. I subscribe to the official stance that the Paladin Code adopted by the Paladin Council defines a paladin. You can find a copy of the Paladin Code in "Paladins A-Z". Once again, I'll search when I have a moment and post a link.

Personally, I am not a big fan of dark paladins. However, I recognize that many folks want that aspect of the guild and if it makes their gaming more enjoyable, I am game for whatever.

Madigan

True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.

Arthur Ashe
Re: Fallen Paladin 06/12/2008 09:54 AM CDT
This debate is about as old as it gets. It pops up every so often and in the past the GM's have always squashed it like a bug and said it will not happen. Recently there has been some improvement in their response and it looks like something along those lines will exist.

I also think that there is a difference in a "dark" paladin and a "fallen" paladin. Whenever I hear "fallen" I think of an angel that loses its wings. Which if a paladin decides to completely go against his code and break his vows to his guild seems similar to me. Losing ones abilities given by your code is on par with losing ones immortality for going against their code. It is all a matter of what you are willing to give up for doing what you want to do. However a "dark" paladin would be one that follows the negative aspects of one or more of the 13. For instance if a paladin is a follower of Aldauth and teases his pray and draws out their death to appease his god should he really be punished for that.

"Many posts on this and many debates. I subscribe to the official stance that the Paladin Code adopted by the Paladin Council defines a paladin."

While I agree with that I think that is the first thing that needs to change before paladins can adopt both a positive and negative aspect to the guild. It all comes back to how you view the guild and what the guild stands for. Is it suppose to be like clerics where you follow whatever god or aspect of the gods you wish or are paladins bound more to the laws of man and not the gods. The way the code is written I would say that paladins are more police than servants of the gods. They respect and worship the gods but they follow the laws of man.
Re: Fallen Paladin 06/12/2008 10:27 AM CDT
Even the Paladin Code can be interpreted very differently though. Justice for one is not justice for another.
Re: Fallen Paladin 06/12/2008 10:58 AM CDT
>>Even the Paladin Code can be interpreted very differently though. Justice for one is not justice for another.

There you go. The million-dollar counter-point.

I suppose I agree that Fallen Paladin and Dark Paladin are two different concepts. Paladins who ignore the fundamental tenants of the guild are not necessarily what I am seeking. Paladins who interpret what it means to be a Paladin in very twisted ways, but still call themselves Paladins, are what I am hoping to see.

Re: Fallen Paladin 06/12/2008 11:14 AM CDT
With the above posts, let me say I would lean towards the "Dark" instead of "Fallen" Paladin. As my character currently stands, I like being a "Good" Paladin, and have no real desire to be a "Dark" one. But, in AD&D we had Dark Paladins and it was pretty neat. I am all for fleshing our abilities out before even touching the side of Dark Paladins. I agree that we are more a Moral Police, and secondly a Religion Police.

I never started this thread to get the GM's too look at creating the dark side. Simply for discussion and if some reason and easy method for implementing said dark side came of it and they wanted to implement it, then Huzzah!.

<<Even the Paladin Code can be interpreted very differently though. Justice for one is not justice for another.

There you go. The million-dollar counter-point.>>

How true IMO. We would not be able to participate in wars unless our Guilds all cast our power to one side. But because we have different view of values/morality there are seperations. Sorry if this sounds like babbling. I write analytical reports for work not theory stuff. :)

Re: Fallen Paladin 06/12/2008 12:01 PM CDT
"Even the Paladin Code can be interpreted very differently though. Justice for one is not justice for another.

There you go. The million-dollar counter-point."

I will agree that there is some leeway with how the code is interpreted which is why I gave the example of following your gods will and being punished for it. But I mean if you really think about it a "good" paladin following his path of protecting the innocent and killing someone takes the same penalty as someone who kills for his god.

That begs the question of what about the current mechanics is it that specifically bothers you as being a "evil" paladin. Is it the atonement needed to use spells and advance? Perhaps an easy way around it is to create new ways to atone based on the god you are atoning too. Then an evil just like a good paladin can just follow the appropriate path to atone and gain access to his spells and abilities.

I would love to hear some of a RP explanation of a perception of the code that draws them away from a "good" path. I have some ideas of my own but it would be interesting to hear what you all have to say.
Re: Fallen Paladin 06/12/2008 12:34 PM CDT
Reading through Paladin A to Z as we speak, found this interesting.

http://www.play.net/forums/help/closed_topic.asp?forum=20&category=30&topic=28

Re: Fallen Paladin 06/12/2008 01:02 PM CDT
http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=30&topic=28&message=17

After reading the Paladin Code. I believe that the definition of "Good" for a Paladin and they should always be "Good" is defined by who they align themselves with. I do believe that a Paladin should be able to align themselves with "Evil". I will try to flesh this out more. But at work.

Re: Fallen Paladin 06/12/2008 01:42 PM CDT
Alright here is a sample.

Paladin who aligns himself with Damaris thus being one of Damaris's Holy Guards.
-Damaris is pro theft
--Not supported by game mechanics since stealing hurts soul
--Some abilities are geared against anti-theft
--Could be RP'ed as not caring about theft happening just doesn't partake himself, or has a lowly view of it

-Damaris is pro spying
--Nothing in game that conflicts this for a Paladin

-Damaris is pro assassination
--Not supported by game mechanics, penalized for stealth attacks, first attacks, and killing
--Could be RP'ed as your purpose is to serve Damaris in guarding his servants, and he has other people to handle the elimination of others

-Damaris is a protector of children
--Fits in well with a Paladin

(My apologies in advanced if not very thoroughly fleshed out, trying to audit a report as well)
Re: Fallen Paladin 06/12/2008 01:51 PM CDT
>>I suppose I agree that Fallen Paladin and Dark Paladin are two different concepts. Paladins who ignore the fundamental tenants of the guild are not necessarily what I am seeking. Paladins who interpret what it means to be a Paladin in very twisted ways, but still call themselves Paladins, are what I am hoping to see.

I like Batman. The world would be a better place if more people wanted to be Batman.

-Armifer
"It is no longer possible to escape men. Farewell to the monsters, farewell to the saints. Farewell to pride. All that is left is men."
- Jean-Paul Sartre
Re: Fallen Paladin 06/12/2008 02:01 PM CDT
Four types of Paladins.

TrueChaotic
Good Light Dark
Evil Fallen Anti

Crusader Taghz

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.
Re: Fallen Paladin 06/12/2008 02:06 PM CDT
<<Four types of Paladins.>>
Game mechanics accept all four. As long as your values don't ask you to steal, kill, or support undead. So all in all I guess no new abilities or spells are needed.

Re: Fallen Paladin 06/12/2008 02:55 PM CDT
Your "so long as . . . " couldn't be more wrong. I agree with a paladin stealing a favor from somewhere where the paladin justifies the ends by the means. I agree with paladins killing those who are unworthy, unfit and generally don't prescribe to the paladins societal values. And supporting undead, while never a clear answer, can be meant to serve the paladins Gods. Given a choice in a War between two mortals, I will choose the side I feel more morally connected with regardless if their troops are rabid undead necro lichs or the whole of the Therengian Guard.
Re: Fallen Paladin 06/12/2008 03:01 PM CDT
<<Your "so long as . . . " couldn't be more wrong>>
Was not referring to ideals, was referring to game mechanics. Sorry for the lack of clarification.

<<I will choose the side I feel more morally connected with regardless if their troops are rabid undead necro lichs or the whole of the Therengian Guard.>>

Agreed.

Re: Fallen Paladin 06/12/2008 03:12 PM CDT
Fallen and Anti can steal and do what ever they want. Because, they have already fallen from the guilds graces. They technically are no longer Paladins in the guilds eyes.

Crusader Taghz

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.
Re: Fallen Paladin 06/12/2008 03:45 PM CDT
<<Fallen and Anti can steal and do what ever they want. Because, they have already fallen from the guilds graces. They technically are no longer Paladins in the guilds eyes.>>

I just meant RP'ing them within current game mechanics. So yes, you can, you will just get penalties for it. So under my crappy Damaris example I gave RP (though crappy) reason why a dark/anti/fallen whathaveyou Paladin might not do these things.

Re: Fallen Paladin 06/12/2008 04:54 PM CDT
I follow Botolf
Re: Fallen Paladin 06/12/2008 05:03 PM CDT
<<I follow Botolf >>
Really? How do you tweak your RP to accomodate?

Re: Fallen Paladin 06/12/2008 05:22 PM CDT
I personally try not to these days but I have helped DP, spied for some unknown organizations, and murdered all in what I believe Botolf would consider justice.
Re: Fallen Paladin 06/12/2008 05:40 PM CDT
Well you seem nice in person. ;)
Do you habits/quirks etc due to your affiliation with Botolf?

Let me state, I am not eager for a rash of Dark Paladins in Elanthia but I think some well played ones could add a nice dimension.

Re: Fallen Paladin 06/12/2008 11:51 PM CDT
>I like Batman. The world would be a better place if more people wanted to be Batman.

Except Batman is the Dark Knight, which is an entirely different and workable concept. Dark Paladin, by contrast, is a walking contradiction akin to a Midnight Sun or an Effective Placebo. i.e. Use at your own risk.

~ Sage Kougen Aensworth, Star Shaper of the Compact

Ruea says, "I swear, I'm forsaking Damaris and building an altar to you."

"I am Captain America (and so can you!)" - http://i25.tinypic.com/157m7a1.jpg
Re: Fallen Paladin 06/12/2008 11:54 PM CDT
Do people still play dark paladins? I really see no point, I like to be able to cast spells and train magic.

Worril - TF
Worrill - Prime
Re: Fallen Paladin 06/13/2008 12:01 AM CDT
go troll your own boards Kougen. nobody wants you here
Re: Fallen Paladin 06/13/2008 08:06 AM CDT
>>Dark Paladin, by contrast, is a walking contradiction akin to a Midnight Sun or an Effective Placebo. i.e. Use at your own risk.

A Battle Empath used to be a walking contradiction too. I consider it a huge step forward that this has changed.

Basically, Dark Paladins contradiction according to current mechanics. Given that we are arguing for a change in those mechanics, though, pointing this out is quite useless.

>>Do people still play dark paladins? I really see no point, I like to be able to cast spells and train magic.

That's kind of the entire point.

People want to be able to play Dark Paladins and still be able to cast spells, which is why this discussion pops up once every few months.

Re: Fallen Paladin 06/13/2008 10:07 PM CDT
>>People want to be able to play Dark Paladins and still be able to cast spells, which is why this discussion pops up once every few months.

<squints> DA, I never hear anyone but you bringing it up.

---
"Close your eyes -
Re: Fallen Paladin 06/14/2008 11:13 AM CDT
><squints> DA, I never hear anyone but you bringing it up.

Maybe you haven't been paying attention. People are asking for some mechanics to support the dark paladin path. This would be one example.
Re: Fallen Paladin 06/14/2008 11:21 AM CDT
I'm waiting for 150th. I won't hold my breathe though
Re: Fallen Paladin 06/14/2008 11:45 AM CDT
>><squints> DA, I never hear anyone but you bringing it up.

I tend to be vocal about it because, although I don't currently play a Paladin, I did and enjoyed it very much because I love tank guilds like Barbs and Pallies. The abilities were fun, the imagery was nice, and the theme was interesting.

However, the enforced morality and the mechanics behind it were simply too much to allow me to sink lots of time into the guild.

Re: Fallen Paladin 06/14/2008 12:21 PM CDT
Nothing as far as I can tell at 150th to enable you to be a dark paladin with no reprocussions(sp?).
Re: Fallen Paladin 06/14/2008 12:24 PM CDT
>Nothing as far as I can tell at 150th to enable you to be a dark paladin with no reprocussions(sp?).

Well, you wouldn't have to worry about circling again. Otherwise, it would all be the same.
Re: Fallen Paladin 06/14/2008 12:27 PM CDT
Good point on the not needing to cicle. I still like to train magic though.
Prev_page Previous 1