Huh.. 04/21/2006 09:05 PM CDT
A warm, soothing sensation washes over your soul.
< You chop your bloodwood staff awkwardly at a small boggle's chest, hitting it with a heavy strike that connects solidly with its chest.

So I guess you can get a soul boost depending on what you are actualy beating on things with. I had thought it was a circle thing.

Leucius

Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Re: Huh.. 04/21/2006 09:30 PM CDT
>>So I guess you can get a soul boost depending on what you are actualy beating on things with. I had thought it was a circle thing.

It has to do with what you are beating on, not what you are beating with. Since Grendels are cursed and/or undead you get a soul boost for attacking them. There is a cap on it, I think it gets higher as you move up the critter chain, not sure the numbers though

Strangeguard Prayermaster
Re: Huh.. 04/22/2006 11:09 AM CDT
>It has to do with what you are beating on, not what you are beating with.

I think you got this backwards.

Evidenced by the fact that I do not get soul from beating on undead things my level with my primaries, however I do get them when I use lower ranked weapons.

Secondly by the fact that if Leucius is at level with boggles, someone tipped the Paladin||Creature guild upside down.

>boo
You let out a resounding "Boo!"
>A revenant warrior turns suddenly and flies west.
Re: Huh.. 04/22/2006 02:50 PM CDT
Seems as if it is completely random then. I do get soul, though not very often, from killing adan'f (my level if not above) with my primary weapon.

Lyonet
Re: Huh.. 04/23/2006 11:34 AM CDT
>>I do get soul, though not very often, from killing adan'f (my level if not above) with my primary weapon.

That was the point of his post. We are SUPPOSED to get a small soul boost every now and then for fighting/killing undead/cursed critters AT OUR LEVEL.

We're not supposed to get it for doing the same with critters so far below us they rate as "beneath our notice".

The trick is going to be reproducing this "fluke" so the GM's can track in the code where its coming from. This is the first time anyone has reported getting the soul boost for a critter far below them... that I've seen on the boards that is.

Redarch
Dwarf with an Axe.. Watch your toes!
Re: Huh.. 04/23/2006 11:37 AM CDT
Oh, and Lyonet. I just reread my post after entering it and noticed it could be taken as "talking down" to you as if you didn't already know this. That was NOT my intent. Its hard to get the "tone" correct in text, but I was simply pointing out the specific problem that was being reported and why it should be considered a problem. I was not addressing what you did or didn't know about soul boosts for fighting undead.

Sorry if the inadvertant tone made you feel I was being a bit snippy.

Redarch
Re: Huh.. 04/23/2006 11:48 AM CDT
He's an angry dwarf.

Relayer

A brilliant stream of pure white light jumps from you to Veegeslas.
It lands a demolishing hit against his chest!
As the hammer-shaped light silently explodes, you could swear you hear a voice whisper the word "Justice".
Re: Huh.. 04/23/2006 12:30 PM CDT
>>We are SUPPOSED to get a small soul boost every now and then for fighting/killing undead/cursed critters AT OUR LEVEL.

Actually, according to the original announcement, there is a random chance of getting the bonus as long as you learn weapon skill. So yes, you can get it from using lower weapons below your level.

~Aeth
Re: Huh.. 04/23/2006 02:41 PM CDT
Either my senses are pretty numb or I have excellent armor cause I didn't feel your snippiness at all. After reading your second post I had to go and reread your first one to find the 'bad tone'.

>He's an angry dwarf.

He completely ruined that image with his second post :(

Seriously though, I was actually responding to a particular sentence in PRAXIS's post

>Evidenced by the fact that I do not get soul from beating on undead things my level with my primaries,

by pointing out that I do get soul from beating things my level. It was my fault for not pointing it out so I apologize for the confusion. I agree though that something is not right if people get boosts from creatures they can easily sit on.

Lyonet
Re: Huh.. 04/23/2006 06:23 PM CDT
>>according to the original announcement, there is a random chance of getting the bonus as long as you learn weapon skill.

Ok, that's a bit clearer. I can't say I've experienced it myself and I have gone with younger friends to hunt undead/cursed that can't touch me and used like 10th level weapons.. and not gotten a soul boost. But it could be that the randomness is a LOT less likely if ya underhunt. But just because I haven't seen it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Redarch
Re: Huh.. 04/23/2006 06:34 PM CDT
There is most likely a cap to what you can learn from a creature. For example if your soul pool is at x then killing a grendel will no longer fill it and you need to go kill a Death Spirit for it to do anything. If that makes any sense.

Re: Huh.. 04/23/2006 06:47 PM CDT
Well if thats the case, what's Leucius been doing to his to dirty it up enough that a boggle would give him devotion? Leucius come on confession is healthy.

-Svidran
Re: Huh.. 04/23/2006 07:15 PM CDT
My mistake I was mistaking Clerics and Paladins. Here's Ssra's original post on it BTW

https://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=1&topic=1&message=1285

Re: Huh.. 04/23/2006 08:28 PM CDT
<<Seriously though, I was actually responding to a particular sentence in PRAXIS's post

>Evidenced by the fact that I do not get soul from beating on undead things my level with my primaries,>>

I can't say I've ever seen it at level with primary weapons. I'll quantify that with a thought that my primary weapon is a good deal above req -- maybe thats why I see it with lower weapons.

I'll highlight the soul message of go beat on undead things a bit.

>boo
You let out a resounding "Boo!"
>A revenant warrior turns suddenly and flies west.
Re: Huh.. 04/24/2006 01:42 AM CDT
<<There is most likely a cap to what you can learn from a creature. For example if your soul pool is at x then killing a grendel will no longer fill it and you need to go kill a Death Spirit for it to do anything. If that makes any sense.>>

It does, but in no way shape or form would my soul be that low. (Yes, I'm that boring) So I'm thinking no. That learning weapons thing might be the trick though. I'm certainly not complaining..just seemed odd.

Leucius

Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Re: Huh.. 04/24/2006 09:15 AM CDT
Was this a killing blow? And did you gain experience from it?

~Maece

"I'm at Betty's Bakery and we got homicidal baked goods after us." ~Gingerdead Man~
Re: Huh.. 04/24/2006 07:11 PM CDT
I did gain experience. Heck if I can remember if it was a killing blow though, I was bored and waiting outside Malchata for EXP to drain. I wasn't expecting anything of interest.

Leucius

Re: Huh.. 04/25/2006 08:17 AM CDT
It should be the killing blow so if you ever notice something like that again, let us know!

~Maece

"I'm at Betty's Bakery and we got homicidal baked goods after us." ~Gingerdead Man~