Paladins & M3 questions 10/11/2010 04:04 PM CDT
Actually since I was here this morning.. might as well ask a few things.

If I suggested Shatter work similarly to Curse of Zachriedek instead of literally degrading armor/weapons, would this be a spell people would use?

>I would personally like to see the guild focus more on abilities that run off of our soul juice, honestly.

If this is how Paladins went then you'd just be using soul juice stuff off the magic skillset. Keep in mind we're making Barbarians and Thieves transition to using magic tert skills too.

>Thanks for the quick update. Are any of those spells that you are referring to on the list that was proposed awhile ago? More specifically the one that would let us use our shield skill to block DFA spells?

We're not actually sure DFA will have a point in Magic 3.0 given the combat overhauls and are debating removing it entirely, but if we keep it I'm totally okay with Paladins having a spell for this.

The 'enforced melee duel' thing is definitely going to be one of the new magic 3.0 spells. Given the stealing PvP changes I'm going to change Hands of Justice back to it's original crush mechanism.

If you have some suggestions for improvements to current spells while keeping the spirit of them intact, please feel free to start tossing them to me. I think I'll try to write the suggested Paladin list next to toss at Dartenian.

-Z
Re: Paladins & M3 questions 10/11/2010 04:13 PM CDT
IMO i would love to see HoJ have an alternative function that forces a combatant to stay in melee. So it would be a semi-grapple but without being limited to certain attacks only permitted while grappled.

"We're not "out to get you," we're here to enhance your playing experience with extreme prejudice.," DR-ARMIFER
Re: Paladins & M3 questions 10/11/2010 04:16 PM CDT
While you can cram a lot of things into one spell under Magic 3.0 without making them impotent it will probably be more advantageous for Paladins not to do so and instead have more numerous and more specialized spells. So my plan is for the forced melee thing to be its own spell that is not Hands of Justice.

-Z
Re: Paladins & M3 questions 10/11/2010 04:36 PM CDT
<<If I suggested Shatter work similarly to Curse of Zachriedek instead of literally degrading armor/weapons, would this be a spell people would use?>>

I think it would be very useful, but personally I'm kinda hesitant to blatantly rip off another guild's spell. I liked shatter in the way that it worked on the physical properties of the weapon/armor rather than doing some kind of mystical curse.

Would there be any way to destroy the physical properties of the items but not make the victim require to pay out of pocket for the items to be repaired? Probably not, just trying to figure out a way to keep the spell the way it is without it being a "haha enjoy your 5 plat repair fee" spell.

<<If this is how Paladins went then you'd just be using soul juice stuff off the magic skillset. Keep in mind we're making Barbarians and Thieves transition to using magic tert skills too.>>

Understood, thanks for the reply.

<<The 'enforced melee duel' thing is definitely going to be one of the new magic 3.0 spells. Given the stealing PvP changes I'm going to change Hands of Justice back to it's original crush mechanism.>>

I would really like to see a couple of different tiers to Hand of Justice- the first one being the theft blocker/crushed hand thing (the VERY first iteration tore hands off, it was badass, just sayin), but maybe the next teir could be a defense against melee ambush/backstab type attacks. Holy Fist to the Face, hand of justice, call if what you want.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Paladins & M3 questions 10/11/2010 07:06 PM CDT
>>would this be a spell people would use?

When choosing between halt, sf, and shatter, shatter would be last.

-Landros
Re: Paladins & M3 questions 10/11/2010 08:05 PM CDT
>>When choosing between halt, sf, and shatter, shatter would be last.

I don't fully agree. If something has stamina or mentals that are too high, I would use shatter to get rid of their parry/shield usage.

It also worked great when you weren't able to get past an enemy's parry/shield but you wanted to train your weapons.

"We're not "out to get you," we're here to enhance your playing experience with extreme prejudice.," DR-ARMIFER
Re: Paladins & M3 questions 10/12/2010 07:19 AM CDT
>>If I suggested Shatter work similarly to Curse of Zachriedek instead of literally degrading armor/weapons, would this be a spell people would use?

I'd be happier if I could limit someone's effectiveness with that bow of dewm without wrecking thier afternoon with having to chase down a repair guy and whatnot. Though on reflection I'd almost rather it becoming a spell that removed the ability to use the target to use thier hands rather then being similar to the Curse.

Samsaren Remlane
I will defend to your death, your right, to my opinion.
Re: Paladins &amp; M3 questions 10/12/2010 08:44 AM CDT
>>I don't fully agree. If something has stamina or mentals that are too high, I would use shatter to get rid of their parry/shield usage.

I was thinking in terms of PvP, and in that context I can't think of a situation in which there was something that I could NOT halt or SF, and was concerned about his/her weapon/armor effectiveness, with the exception of Barbarians, and you aren't getting through their MR anyway. So unless shatter gets an easier MR contest because its targeting equipment and not individuals, I still wouldn't use it over our other standard disablers.

For PvE, i'm hunting DP assassins right now and I can't get past their parry easily, but I still learn fine even though I'm not actually hitting them much ,so I don't think I'd use it in that situation either.

-Landros