Violence + Necromancer = Soul Damage 12/21/2009 10:18 AM CST
Any chance that we might see this go away? I'm rather confused as to why killing a necromancer would warrant a soul state hit.
Re: Violence + Necromancer = Soul Damage 12/21/2009 03:59 PM CST
Is the necro one of the races that grant soul hit for murder?
Re: Violence + Necromancer = Soul Damage 12/22/2009 08:33 AM CST
Not ALL Gods have malice for Necromancers.
Not ALL Necromancers have malice for the Gods.

As for Paladins and soul hits... I have been wondering how this will pan out... I personally feel we should get soul hits for striking out against a group of people who have strayed from the "correct path" advocated by our guild as it's standards are of current.

We should be trying to steer them towards redemption and bringing those who break the law to justice.

Of course, if they should endanger others with their creations or through direct acts... Soul hit or not I will do what I feel is needed to protect the Innocent.
Re: Violence + Necromancer = Soul Damage 12/22/2009 08:39 AM CST
>>Not ALL Gods have malice for Necromancers.
>>Not ALL Necromancers have malice for the Gods.

Umm.. what?

- The Moose
Re: Violence + Necromancer = Soul Damage 12/22/2009 08:46 AM CST

If by "Gods" you mean the Immortals, then I am pretty sure you are wrong. If you were including other things like maybe Maelshyve, then I suppose that is different.
Re: Violence + Necromancer = Soul Damage 12/22/2009 09:14 AM CST
>>Umm.. what?

Exactly

>>That being said... If you are going to damn yourself, you may as well do it all the way. -GM Abasha
Re: Violence + Necromancer = Soul Damage 12/22/2009 09:20 AM CST

The Lore-fu is weak with this one. Because that is Flat Out Wrong.

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Also: Moo.
Re: Violence + Necromancer = Soul Damage 12/22/2009 09:46 AM CST
Necromancers may invoke and bring upon themselves the wrath of the Gods... but I don't see all aspects of the Immortals simply hating them... in fact, some may have helped to bring the forbidden knowledge to the mortals in the first place, and some wouldn't care at all. I see plenty of room for this interpetation in the writings and lore behind some of the 39 aspects.

I've never read anywhere that ALL the aspects of the 13 hate necromancy. Maybe they do though. If it has been defined as such then okay.

Something to consider... We bring about that same wrath of the Gods incurred upon Necromancers when we do something corrupt against our vows... we "turn" from the Gods and are shunned by them when we do an indecent act... But do you think Damaris hates a Paladin who steals? Does Trothfang care if a Paladin slays an innocent person in a fit of rage?

When a Paladin incurs the Gods wrath his soul takes the loss... When a Necromancer incurs the Gods wrath he is struck physically... Paladins lose soul, Necromancers lose life... almost like 2 sides of the same coin...

Of course by my understanding it is a 3 sided coin... life, spirit, and soul.

Something else to think about... maybe there's a Paladin or two out there that didn't realize how cruel and strict the Gods could be... how their joining a guild and taking the vows required would cause them such pain and loss... such sacrifice. Much like a Necromancer who chooses to "redeem" themselves... A Paladin may choose to "fall".

And maybe... one day... it will be supported mechanically by DR.

Re: Violence + Necromancer = Soul Damage 12/22/2009 09:57 AM CST
<<I've never read anywhere that ALL the aspects of the 13 hate necromancy. Maybe they do though. If it has been defined as such then okay.

You obviously haven't read much, if any, of the lore and events that was presented in the past year of lead up towards the guild.

The 13 and all their aspects most definitely hate everything and anything to do with necromancers.

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386A.V.
Re: Violence + Necromancer = Soul Damage 12/22/2009 10:00 AM CST
All gods hate Necromancy. Followers of any of the Immortals (Clerics, specifically) who do not do their best to stop the tide of Necromancy can expect the removal of divine favor and devotion right quick.

-Z
Re: Violence + Necromancer = Soul Damage 12/22/2009 11:03 AM CST
Phan, you really need to read up on stuff before you post. This is the third thread in the recent past where you are just not that up to speed. Not flaming you at all, because I know that I get messed up on things plenty. Just may want to take some time and hit Elanthipedia first.

Madigan

"le rage du paladine" Korsik
Re: Violence + Necromancer = Soul Damage 12/22/2009 03:21 PM CST
> All gods hate Necromancy. Followers of any of the Immortals (Clerics, specifically) who do not do their best to stop the tide of Necromancy can expect the removal of divine favor and devotion right quick.

First you let the silly mortals start tinkering around with creating life and striving for immortality, and the next thing you know they get grandiose ideas like maybe they don't need gods anymore, or maybe that they are gods themselves.

And we simply can't have that.

- GM Dartenian

If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right. - Henry Ford
Re: Violence + Necromancer = Soul Damage 12/22/2009 03:23 PM CST
<<And we simply can't have that.>>

I hope that means we get to join the Hounds of Rutilor, even if it means we have to get locked into PVP open as part of the process of joining :D

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Violence + Necromancer = Soul Damage 12/23/2009 02:45 AM CST
I see... by attempting things reserved solely for the divine... I can see how that would upset just about any God, or all of them.
Re: Violence + Necromancer = Soul Damage 12/23/2009 02:50 AM CST
It isn't just that, but that's certainly part of it.

Rev. Reene

Fenyr says to you, "You. Have. Issues."
Re: Violence + Necromancer = Soul Damage 12/23/2009 03:22 AM CST
Back when the rebooted Necromancers were first being described, I left it as an open question whether "all the gods hate Necromancers" was because the Necromancers were tapping into some factual source of Cosmic Evil (Cleric version), or because the gods were spiteful of the Necromancers' attempts to claim divine right (Necromancer version).

In the end, it turned out to be one of those "little from Column A, little from Column B" deals.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Violence + Necromancer = Soul Damage 12/23/2009 07:46 AM CST
perhaps some of the gorbesh gods. but certainly all of the 13 hate it. i'm curious though whether all the gods strike one down or it is random. I have heard accounts of faenella and chadatru so far.

If you are going to damn yourself, my child, you might as well do it all the way.
Re: Violence + Necromancer = Soul Damage 12/25/2009 11:47 PM CST
So, any chance that it's going away? I can't really come to grips with an expectation of action on behalf of the 13 and yet punishment for doing so. There's got to be some give and take there.

If anything I think we should get a soul boost for doing the world a favor.
Re: Violence + Necromancer = Soul Damage 12/25/2009 11:56 PM CST
perhaps the official "guild stance" is still -- "accuse them to the guards, and let the hounds mete out the actual justice" - as maybe you are supposed to convince them of the "error of their ways" rather than smite them? <with the caveat that the GMPCs are "too far gone" for salvation?

That might change if pcs are enabled to join the hounds. Could be fun to play it out.
will have to wait and see.

If you are going to damn yourself, my child, you might as well do it all the way.