Halt sucks 09/06/2008 07:52 PM CDT
This spell is pants.
Halt rock troll -> its frozen in place for eternity.
Parry, Whiff, Parry, Whiff.
The troll is so frozen it can not even swing at me.
Whiff, Whiff, Parry, Smite Smite Smite.

I read somewhere a GM post about how powerful it is because the duration is so long. Frozen in place is rubbish though.

To end my complaint on a positive note: Halt duration is long enough that I can casually get out mental blast rune and nuke that trolls nerves.
Re: Halt sucks 09/06/2008 08:12 PM CDT
I kind of agree in a way that immobilization is not the end all be all status effect that I've heard it called. Maybe at high levels, where everyone can hit everyone, because defense doesn't scale the same as offense, then immobile = dead, but at the lower levels, in my experience, if i can't hit them without halt, i still can't hit them with it. As as example, a ranger buddy of mine used to spar with me. I'd always use feint, draw, sweep, smite, chop, and the only hits I would get were on the smite. Cast halt... and wow... I could still only hit on the smites. Not much of an evasion penalty, if you ask me... If I can hit them anyway, on the other hand, then halt is great, because i can get a few free swings in without retaliation.
Re: Halt sucks 09/06/2008 09:22 PM CDT
I liked the previous version of halt better than the current one(because the evasion penalty was pretty insane). That being said, I like the current version of halt, too.

If you can't hit something that is halted, you are over-hunting. The current evasion penalty is reasonable, when compared to other immobilizers.

If you used a ranged weapon, and combined THAT with halt, now you are killing some rock trolls. Your issue is... three-fold.

-Rock trolls primary defense(as far as I can tell), is parry, parry isn't that hindered by being halted (correct me if I am wrong).
-You are over-hunting
-Melee is pretty poor when compared to ranged, when it comes to hitting things (via full aim)

When you are combining halt with a melee weapon, you are only taking advantage of HALF of the benefits of the halt spell. That being, the evasion penalty. Take advantage of that AND the fact that it can't actually DO anything (utilizing AIM for a ranged weapon, or TARGET for a TM-based spell), and then you'll be in business.

-Landros
Re: Halt sucks 09/07/2008 12:13 AM CDT
Oh, yeah, for hunting, halt works alright. I rarely hunt haltable things these days, but when I first started playing with vines and creepers, halting the odd marauder was enough to make it killable. My main issue is in spars. If I can hit em anyway, halt is great. Big advantage. If they are just out of my hitting range (I can hit them with the occasional Smite, but not with any other attack) then I notice no appreciable difference with halt cast. This is mostly from sparring a ranger buddy of mine, who is actually lower circle than me, but has great evasion. Maybe his evasion is higher than I think, and Smite just gives a lot bigger accuracy bonus than I realized, but it seems like if I can land a Smite unhalted, I ought to be able to land a few regular attacks with him halted...
Re: Halt sucks 09/07/2008 01:09 AM CDT
"To end my complaint on a positive note: Halt duration is long enough that I can casually get out mental blast rune and nuke that trolls nerves."

This gave me a nice chuckle.
Re: Halt sucks 09/07/2008 11:00 AM CDT
Ah, I didn't realize you were talking about about sparring. In that case, replace the phrase 'over-hunting' with 'outclassed'.

And halt is EVEN BETTER in spars because, if you can get it off (and it is a pretty reasonable contest), as it prevents your opponent from KILLING YOU.

IMO, you'd have a more legitimate claim if you posted saying 'Melee sucks' or 'Paladins need stronger disablers to make a melee spar viable', but without re-reading my first post i'd say that everything I said there applies to hunting and sparring.

That being said, halt + smite foe will win you that spar, until SF gets changed.

-Landros
Re: Halt sucks 09/07/2008 01:27 PM CDT
<<That being said, halt + smite foe will win you that spar, until SF gets changed.

Madigan

True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.

Arthur Ashe
Re: Halt sucks 09/08/2008 09:00 AM CDT
You can use SF on people now??? When did that change?

And why?
Re: Halt sucks 09/08/2008 09:02 AM CDT
If your talking about the Smite it's a not so new paladin ability (don't expect you to know this though I believe you are the one who said you've been gone 9 years or something?). Smite != Smite Foe
Re: Halt sucks 09/08/2008 09:43 AM CDT
Oh yes, I have discovered the smite ability. Much to my delight.

I thought they were referring to the spell Smite Foe, which never was usable on another player. Someone else had mentioned to me also that Smite Foe can be cast on players now as well, which might explain why it is going to be changed to a targeted spell. Can anyone confirm this?

Personally, I preferred the non-targeted spell that could not be used on players.
Re: Halt sucks 09/08/2008 09:51 AM CDT
Two years ago (or thereabouts) SF was changed to allow it to be cast on players. As you might suspect, it is very good at killing players. It is on the chopping block to become a TM only spell now.

Madigan

True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.

Arthur Ashe
Re: Halt sucks 09/08/2008 10:52 AM CDT
Just as a side note. Smite Foe is not becoming TM because it was allowed to kill players. It is becoming TM because all spells that do damage will need TM under the new directive.

Ackfer - Halfling in a Can, No Fillers Here!
Re: Halt sucks 09/08/2008 11:37 AM CDT
>>Just as a side note. Smite Foe is not becoming TM because it was allowed to kill players. It is becoming TM because all spells that do damage will need TM under the new directive.

Regardless of the reasoning or motivation, it will be a bummer when it happens.

However, to put things in perspective I do recall talk when I left the game that SF would be changed to targeted soon. And that was what, 9 years ago? :-D

Of course, that also was at a time when Paladins had ZERO spells to train TM with. And teaching was not a viable way to learn then either, from what I recall. Given the current environment, such a change is certainly more feasible though I guess.

My paltry 22 ranks in TM aren't looking so good.
Re: Halt sucks 09/08/2008 02:20 PM CDT
>>Of course, that also was at a time when Paladins had ZERO spells to train TM with. And teaching was not a viable way to learn then either, from what I recall. Given the current environment, such a change is certainly more feasible though I guess.

There was also a time we had no spells to learn magic with and had to listen to classes to gain magic to circle. You know the good ole days.

Crusader Taghz

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.