This is disappointing 07/24/2008 03:33 PM CDT
I keep refreshing this site HOPING beyond HOPE that someone is posting in here... even the Traders have more action in their folders! :)

Ackfer - Halfling in a Can, No Fillers Here!
Re: This is disappointing 07/24/2008 06:46 PM CDT
Your plate is rusty and your club smells of mildew!

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: This is disappointing 07/24/2008 07:32 PM CDT
Well I guess it is like what Madigan and Leucius has alluded to with the paladin meetings. This guild is waning as a guild that holds much interest to new players. Also take into account that the realms population has halved in the last couple years this means there are not that many active paladins around anymore.

Just the old hard core or those that truely enjoy the roleplay of beening a paladin. I dont think you will see much change untill the paladin guild looks more atractive to new players that are interested in combat more than role play.

The traders guild is not know as a combat guild so those that join know what they are signing up for. In my opinion many people have joined the paladin guild believing they have joined a combat guild only to find that in the realm of combat they are the poor sisters to other combat guilds hence then no one says "join the paladin guilds they are a good combat guild' Instead you get told if you are interested in combat then join this or that guild, its never join the paladin guild.

Wodie
Re: This is disappointing 07/24/2008 11:11 PM CDT
I am actually done complaining. It really doesnt get me anywhere or do anything for the guild. When you do complain, you wont see change for 2-3 years, so no point. I have alot of stuff to complain about, but why bother?

Thanks

some Paladin in hopefully the top 10 of DR
Re: This is disappointing 07/25/2008 11:20 AM CDT
<<Your plate is rusty and your club smells of mildew!>>
Um, not sure where to go with this. :)

<<This guild is waning as a guild that holds much interest to new players.>>
So what changed? It can't be just smite foe/horde that attracted people. What attracted you guys that changed?

<<the realms population has halved>>
This sucks. I have never ran into any DR ads since my starting to play in 98/99. I don't know how they get the new people that they do at all.

<<the paladin guild looks more atractive to new players that are interested in combat more than role play>>
I thought I had a grasp on this one previously. But when I look at it, WMs have two tert defenses. We have one tert defense, one second, one prime. Is it just that melee really has no place in DR at this moment in the world of PvP? From what I can tell is we lack disablers and survival boosters.

<<The traders guild is not know as a combat guild so those that join know what they are signing up for>>
I had no specific point with the Trader guild comment. Was just hoping to spark some posts. Which apparently it did. :)

<<combat then join this or that guild, its never join the paladin guild.>>
Can someone break it down for me how the other combats have an edge on us? Not saying they don't but am interested. Really the only thing that peeves me is WMs with ability to emulate or armor perk via a spell.

<<I am actually done complaining>>
Cool. I was just posting to stir the pot.

Re: This is disappointing 07/25/2008 11:50 AM CDT
>We have one tert defense, one second, one prime.

Perception and Evasion are 2 tert defenses. Those are the most important to defend against Backstab and DFA spells. Kind of hard to be a tank when you have gaping holes in your defense.

Most of the buffs are spells which rely on tert skills, time to cast and precognition of an attack. Spelling up is boring compared to dances, beserks or khri. Paladins do well during invasions and group events. But their mortal enemy, the thief, will make a mockery out of them. That's very frustrating. Same with other one on one fights. Long as that isn't a concern, you'll have fun and be useful.

The scariest Paladin to me is one who trains his magic well, uses 2HE, plate, shield, TM and crossbow. His perception won't keep up with my stealth, and all I need to do is get the jump on him with a Lightning Bolt wand.
Re: This is disappointing 07/25/2008 12:09 PM CDT
<<Perception and Evasion are 2 tert defenses>>
I always forget about perception.

However, lets say in my case. In my hp/lp/lc setup (added LC per some advice at the tourney) I am unhindered. A WM can do the same with YS. So in that we are the same ballpark, they have the same tert perception, so the same there.

<<Most of the buffs are spells which rely on tert skills, time to cast and precognition of an attack>>
Yeah. With my MM it was nothing to pop off a whole slew of prep fight spells, and fight spells via snapcasts in a jif.

<<Spelling up is boring compared to dances, beserks or khri>>
True.

<<But their mortal enemy, the thief, will make a mockery out of them.>>
Agreed. This is an arms race I won't win so I don't choose to fight it. Haven't worked out any strategies regarding it though.

<<Long as that isn't a concern, you'll have fun and be useful>>
Yep, having fun and feel useful from time to time. Mostly, instead of repeating the "we suck" mantra of Paladins just trying to get a breakdown on what are weaknesses are.

<<The scariest Paladin to me is one who trains his magic well, uses 2HE, plate, shield, TM and crossbow. His perception won't keep up with my stealth, and all I need to do is get the jump on him with a Lightning Bolt wand>>

I was training TM till I hit morahs and cannot hit them no matter what I do... need to backtrain it.

Ghodbane, thanks for the info bud. :) Keep it coming.

Re: This is disappointing 07/25/2008 01:16 PM CDT
Can you banner yet Ackfer?

Leucius

Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Re: This is disappointing 07/25/2008 01:17 PM CDT
<<Can you banner yet Ackfer?>>
No, not yet. Only have Halt, RW, Courage and Bond Weapon.

Re: This is disappointing 07/25/2008 02:41 PM CDT
>Kind of hard to be a tank when you have gaping holes in your defense.

If you want to be a tank, be an armor tert WM. Makes sense, right?

Re: This is disappointing 07/25/2008 03:02 PM CDT
Personally I rolled up my Paladin as a change of pace from my Ranger (melee fighter vs. stealth fighter) and to get more involved in Therengian RP as the Ranger was a bit of a mad recluse. I've since canceled my Ranger because I enjoy playing the Paladin so much. I think part of the issue of lack of interest in the guild is on a systems level in both the way combat scales (offense begins to pull away from defense at some point, which isn't so hot for a defensively focused guild) and special attacks like DFA and backstab that only go through one defense (and the one defense is tert for us on top of that).

This isn't to say that playing a Paladin is horrible. You just need to work your relevant tert skills (magic, perception & evasion) nonstop, which is the case for pretty much every guild but Barbs & Rangers. I'm going to post some more ideas over in the suggestions folder.

I would suggest training all armors (for training go with HP helm/half plate & LP gauntlets and switch out greaves for everything but HP, including LP) and tailor your armor for the situation -- if you're fighting a WM and afraid of his LB, CL or DB then wear bone, which has great protection against fire & electricity. We have one of the most powerful perception boosters in GoL; Clarity should help with sixth sense (did the aim/advance additions ever get rolled into that?); CV runes are open to all MUs; and even though WATCH got a bit of a nerf earlier in the year it's still great in a one on one fight. And unless you have problems with stealth RP wise, the recent change that allows us to train our stealth hindrance lower than anyone but Survival primes opens up that route if you're interested and don't mind the soul hit from not training it carefully (advance before hiding & unhide before attacking).

I'm also excited to see that Maece, Ssra & Armifer are examining the concept behind our spellbook (even if I gave them a hard time about it) in addition to looking at individual spells. Ssra has mentioned an ability that should be out soon for Paladins & Barbs that will enable us to keep/bring an opponent to melee, so that will help in fighting ranged users (shield is already great against them). I also think that there's a ton of potential in glyphs, faiths, leads & protects to round the guild out and make us the tanks and battlefield leaders that we should be.

~Thilan
Re: This is disappointing 07/25/2008 03:19 PM CDT
My recomendation is to join the paladin guild with RP in mind. If you want to be a PvP god this simply isn't the guild to go with. Personally I'm not one of the folks that runs around saying I regret ever rolling up a Paladin, I'm quite happy with myself as is but I'm also not particularly into Pvp or comparing myself to others. I feel like I've put enough work into my character that my base skill levels deliver in most instances. Would I like to see our guild improved? Of course, but the reality is the type changes we really want (skills, abilities, glyphs, spells) take forever to actualy happen. To me that's simply how it is.

Leucius

Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Re: This is disappointing 07/25/2008 03:25 PM CDT
>>Most of the buffs are spells which rely on tert skills, time to cast and precognition of an attack>>
>>Yeah. With my MM it was nothing to pop off a whole slew of prep fight spells, and fight spells via snapcasts in a jif.

They may rely on tert skills, but you do reach a point where your magic does get up to par, as long as you are wise enough to train them heavily from the beginning. Then spelling up takes just as long as everyone. My current script that spells me up with almost everything I'd like to use takes about 7 minutes to run. (Though I tested before the camb RT changes, probaly quicker now) A lot can happen in that time, but it's not hard and you don't need all of the spells to perform right away, a snap cast of HoW instead of a max mana cast for instance. Finding good holy mana out in the field often though, that's another story. I do agree spelling up is boring compared to insta-ownz abilities as Ghodbane has said.

Train perception hard as well and then use GoL. I haven't done to much PvP lately training on the islands, but I'm not scared of thieves around my circle because of this. Add a CV rune and now we're in business.

>>Mostly, instead of repeating the "we suck" mantra of Paladins..

We suck. But I love it. Perception, evasion and now TM are our weaknesses. Focus on them, always train them, you'll be fine. If you like the guild and the RP you'll stick with it for years as most of us have. Even with the changes, I'm not entirely unhappy, and now with Ssra on combat again, I'm even more excited. He gave us a bunch of stuff the last time around that were awesome, I'm guessing this and more will happen again. Which now brings me too...

Ssra, I haven't seen you post on anything in a bit because I assume you were getting up to speed. But what do you see for us so far?

Player of Holy Soldier Adakin of Prime
Kastr of TF
Killr of TF
"The Key To Immortality Is Living A Life Worth Remembering."

"Killing Time Murders Opportunities."
Re: This is disappointing 07/25/2008 03:30 PM CDT
<<You just need to work your relevant tert skills (magic, perception & evasion)>>
I haven't trained a lick of perception yet. Figuring on stopping by Rossmans to buy jugglies. Not looking forward to joining the circus though.

<<Personally I rolled up my Paladin as a change of pace from my Ranger >>
I played my MM like a Paladin, which is why I rolled one instead. :)

<<I've since canceled my Ranger because I enjoy playing the Paladin so much. >>
I've been tempted to play my MM, but I wanted to give this guy more time.

<<I would suggest training all armors>>
Currently three is all I have the patience for. HP/LP for training, and LC for tourneys. Adding other pieces to carry around makes my burden go up, but I might get some bone pieces when I do my GoL quest.

<<We have one of the most powerful perception boosters in GoL>>
Awesome! Probably a bad tool for tourneys as it would hurt my mates as well I am thinking.

<<recent change that allows us to train our stealth hindrance lower than anyone but Survival primes>>

I am really eager to see this faith system happen.

Re: This is disappointing 07/25/2008 03:34 PM CDT
Obviously I'm not Ssra, but I can tell you that our primary focus today are those spells. Then, it's back to basics and old proposals such as the 100th ability.

~Maece

I'm not a killer,
I'm an S-Mart employee.
And to kill a coworker
Is against company policy.

Evil Dead the Musical, 2008
Re: This is disappointing 07/25/2008 03:36 PM CDT
Oh Maece, I didn't mean to not include you! You are the backbone for everyone one of us out there!

Kastr of TF
Killr of TF

Re: This is disappointing 07/25/2008 03:39 PM CDT
>>Um, not sure where to go with this. :)

I was very tired last night and thought this was posted in the conflict folder (reference to the traders didn't help matters, since they just had that Bad Business thing). Couldn't think of anything, so I went with something cheeky.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: This is disappointing 07/25/2008 03:40 PM CDT
<<If you want to be a PvP god this simply isn't the guild to go with>>
Nope. Not particularly. I just want to do the tourneys.

<<My recomendation is to join the paladin guild with RP in mind>>
Yep, working on that. Told someone that my god was Chadatru... they said that was boring... so giving more depth and thought regarding that.

<<I'm also not particularly into Pvp or comparing myself to others>>
I have only sparred mildly.

<<wise enough to train them heavily from the beginning>>
Coming from a MU background, on top of it. :)

<<Finding good holy mana out in the field often though, that's another story>>
Major drawback to room based mana users.

Re: This is disappointing 07/25/2008 03:41 PM CDT
>><<We have one of the most powerful perception boosters in GoL>>
>>Awesome! Probably a bad tool for tourneys as it would hurt my mates as well I am thinking.

It doesn't hurt anyone, just raises your perception.

>>Currently three is all I have the patience for. HP/LP for training, and LC for tourneys. Adding other pieces to carry around makes my burden go up, but I might get some bone pieces when I do my GoL quest.

As you gain more strength/stam/disc start training the other armors. I personally train HP/LP/HC at level. And all the rest for my TM and low weapons training.

And I would never consider training LC to use for tourney's. Heavy plate is the best protecting for a reason, Use it.

>>I haven't trained a lick of perception yet. Figuring on stopping by Rossmans to buy jugglies. Not looking forward to joining the circus though.

Whenver you leave combat to get healed, train and lock magic, then lock perception, then use a compendium for FA/Scholarship when you can, throw in origami at the end of you'd like. But never stop magic/perception.

Kastr of TF
Killr of TF

Re: This is disappointing 07/25/2008 03:45 PM CDT
<<And I would never consider training LC to use for tourney's>>
I believe the advice was recommended since I could not hide in plate.

<<It doesn't hurt anyone, just raises your perception>>
Useful fact.

Re: This is disappointing 07/25/2008 03:52 PM CDT
>>I believe the advice was recommended since I could not hide in plate.

Well now thats put into context.. use a new setup with leather/cloth/lc and go train hiding/stalking up until you can. I'm sitting at about 100 ranks in each myself and hide well enough for HP. I train these as well when I train the lower armors with my lower weapons which all sit around 100 something ranks.

Kastr of TF
Killr of TF

Re: This is disappointing 07/25/2008 03:57 PM CDT
Oh no no... no offense taken! But I do want everyone to understand that as guild advocate, all proposals are either created by or pre-approved by me. This applies to all guilds and their respective guild advocates :)

~Maece

I'm not a killer,
I'm an S-Mart employee.
And to kill a coworker

Re: This is disappointing 07/25/2008 04:03 PM CDT
<<use a new setup with leather/cloth/lc and go train hiding/stalking up until you can.>>
I guess since I am already in the unhindered category in my current setup it wouldnt hurt to spend some time in another setup.

Re: This is disappointing 07/25/2008 05:01 PM CDT
can we just scrap the 100th or push it aside for Faith/Aura development?
Re: This is disappointing 07/25/2008 05:03 PM CDT
I really enjoy the paladin guild and I have a great time playing Madigan. As Leucius suggested, the paladin guild gives you a great means by which to RP in many things. I also think there is great potential to be a potent fighter if some changes take place. I hope I am around for the day when the paladin guild is the home of the absolute hardest characters to take down on a battlefield.

I do not believe we have received a fair shake in the recent past with regard to development changes and decisions. I hope this changes in the future.

Madigan

True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.

Arthur Ashe
Re: This is disappointing 07/25/2008 08:00 PM CDT
I like the talk about damage scaling myself. My guess is that alone would specifically help us quite a bit.

Leucius

Re: This is disappointing 07/25/2008 08:54 PM CDT
>>If you want to be a tank, be an armor tert WM. Makes sense, right? Rmel

(chuckle) Yeah that one always amused me. Though my wm lost one of his tricks since he can't wear his forged heavy plate armor and do his stealth anymore. Regardless even in forged light chain hes a better tank then my paladin.
Re: This is disappointing 07/25/2008 08:58 PM CDT
>>My recomendation is to join the paladin guild with RP in mind. Leucius

Pretty much exactly the only real reason to play a paladin. Which is why I'll take breaks from playing my paladin, sometimes you just get tired of being a "state of mind profession".
Re: This is disappointing 07/25/2008 10:07 PM CDT
<<I like the talk about damage scaling myself. My guess is that alone would specifically help us quite a bit.

I think that is the most critical thing on the table that has the potential to help us. However, if you just slide the scale down then I am not sure that does the trick for putting meat in the armor skillset. It is simply a relative movement of the scale, and not a change in the upper end of things (i.e. heavy plate armor).

Since it is on Oolan's plate, I am not sure of its priority. I suspect it is behind forging changes, but totally guessing. Something tells me it is a pretty big undertaking.

Madigan

True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.

Arthur Ashe
Re: This is disappointing 07/26/2008 11:55 AM CDT
I say this with full experience. Although damage scaling will help, I try to tell people that it's not the only thing that causes problems for Paladins.

It's the damage that some of these weapons are doing as well (capped arrows are just sick right now). Crossbow bolts are pretty sick right now too, but they're crossbow bolts. They SHOULD be like that. I don't think capped arrows should be equivalent.

A lot of people don't realize it because they don't know what it's like to use a fairly weak weapon at high levels. They don't realize that wearing HP armor, having anti-stun, and having high shield is very, very effective. I use LT as my primary weapon and I can say without a doubt that Paladins are THE HARDEST guild for me to kill. Paladins (although they could still be better) are already tanks from my perspective. It's just that when you have insane arrows that punch through your defenses and armor, when you have spells that ignore all but one tert defense, when you have an ability that bypasses shield, parry, reduces an already tert evasion all from a contest that involves a primary skill vs. a tert skill, then being a tank becomes that much harder to do.

If I changed my primary weapon to bow, Paladins would drop off the top of my list in an instant. Scaling damage will work like a double edged sword. It'll help get rid of the one-hit contests, but it'll make the already weak weapons even weaker.

My main point is... with the current setup that Paladins have, some of their problems are not related to them. Count me in for supporting more development for Paladins, but there are still other issues that seriously need to be addressed before Paladins even have a chance at being how they should be.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: This is disappointing 07/26/2008 02:46 PM CDT
<<Vinjince>>
Very good post. I think you hit the nail on the head.
Bow damage is too high. A capped arrow should be at best, same affect as a store bought crossbow bolt.

If someone can dodge, block with a shield, parry etc while being webbed, asleep, immobile then no one should be limited to one defense versus any spell, or ability.

Random sideline...
I just vurped my rib eye steak... it tasted good second time around. :)

I think the people that tourney would have a better grasp of all this. I am very very new to the CvC world.

Re: This is disappointing 07/26/2008 03:13 PM CDT
<<Vinjince

Excellent points V.

Madigan

Arthur Ashe
Re: This is disappointing 07/28/2008 04:17 PM CDT
The 100th ability is an extension of the protect abilities and I still feel it's owed to those who have been waiting for so long.

~Maece

I'm not a killer,
I'm an S-Mart employee.
And to kill a coworker

Re: This is disappointing 08/04/2008 01:34 PM CDT
>Paladins (although they could still be better) are already tanks from my perspective. It's just that when you have insane arrows that punch through your defenses and armor, when you have spells that ignore all but one tert defense, when you have an ability that bypasses shield, parry, reduces an already tert evasion all from a contest that involves a primary skill vs. a tert skill, then being a tank becomes that much harder to do.

Well said. Although I assume that fixing damage scaling would address this directly. Spells are off the charts with damage right now, as are basilisk arrows, 2he, backstab, etc.