Dang thieves. 08/27/2007 06:19 PM CDT
A couple things....

1) I hate knowing who is stealing from me but being able to do nothing about it. Either the thief is too high level for me and/or I'm not in city area to be able to turn them in to the guards.

2)Do we lose soul if we attack and/or kill someone who we caught stealing from us? First attack or not.

3)What kind of anti-thief things do we have to help us out? Yes I know, train perception, but what else? What is specific to us? I liked HoJ back in the day, but it seems to be MIA. Can't feed poison pulp to halted people anymore huh? :(
Re: Dang thieves. 08/27/2007 07:14 PM CDT
>1) I hate knowing who is stealing from me but being able to do nothing about it.

There are two options. Kill them (or try anyways), or ignore it. RPing never works, because they still have your coin. In the rare event that someone will RP back with you, they still have your coin, and don't have to give it back. Kill them, without prejudice.

>2)Do we lose soul if we attack and/or kill someone who we caught stealing from us? First attack or not.

Short answer is yes.

Long answer is that stealing is considered first strike, so there is no soul hit, but you have to catch them (not spidey sense catch them). You will get a soul hit for murder, first strike or not.

Also... the soul hit for first strike is big. I've stayed at high end pristine after murder without the first strike penalty. Actually, 2 successive murders (within a minute or so) without a first strike, and I was still at pristine. Note: you will have to stand from shame/kneeling after the first murder, because Paladins are coded to be crybabies on purpose.

>3)What kind of anti-thief things do we have to help us out?

GoL, Clarity, and Sixth sense passively defend, but you still need perception. Watch, AS, Halt, GoW, SR, SP, and at-level knowledge of a ranged weapon if a rumble breaks out after.

HoJ isn't worth the effect anymore. Considering the old HoJ, crushing a hand (which ended the event) wasn't really worth it either.

-THE Noob

Holy father - holy ghost
Who's the one who hurts you most
Rock the cradle when you cry
Scream another lullaby
Re: Dang thieves. 08/27/2007 08:03 PM CDT

<<Can't feed poison pulp to halted people anymore huh? :( >>

that might be a deterrent to a non-guilded thief, but a guilded would just laugh in your face. poison, eh? yum!

<<If nothing else, maybe some Magic Using guilds will now feel the joys of "You cannot steal here.", at least for a while.--Solomon>>
Re: Dang thieves. 08/27/2007 09:40 PM CDT
If you halted the thief..Kill them! The soul is more like a guidline.

Crusader Taghz

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.
Re: Dang thieves. 08/28/2007 03:20 AM CDT
being lectured at is sometimes a heck of a lot more annoying to a thief than a simple death.

a paladin once kept me halted for about 1/2 hour while he lectured at me. well-roleplayed by the player, but terribly annoying to my character.

<<If nothing else, maybe some Magic Using guilds will now feel the joys of "You cannot steal here.", at least for a while.--Solomon>>
Re: Dang thieves. 08/28/2007 09:45 AM CDT
Bah, that's what I was expecting. I guess I just have to train perc alot more than I have been. It's so slow though!
Re: Dang thieves. 08/28/2007 02:19 PM CDT
I've seen one of those lectures happening, very entertaining.

mfberg
Re: Dang thieves. 08/28/2007 09:08 PM CDT
>>being lectured at is sometimes a heck of a lot more annoying to a thief than a simple death.

The one time Redarch did this, it was some twit that came up to the Haven Crate and started mouthing off about "wimpy paladins" that couldn't do anything and weren't anything to be afraid of.

So I halted, shoved him to the ground, grappled, circled a few times, then proceeded to give him a 45 minute lecture about how NOT killing someone can often be much more horrendous than simply being killed. :)

Ya know.. I don't think that one ever crossed my path again.. or at least, not out in the open anymore.

Redarch
Dwarf with an Axe.. Watch your toes!
Re: Dang thieves. 08/29/2007 10:38 AM CDT
Should a beat him to a pulp then swing him around till he died from vitality.

Crusader Taghz

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.
Re: Dang thieves. 08/29/2007 11:29 AM CDT
Note to self: Train brawling skill.
Re: Dang thieves. 08/29/2007 06:44 PM CDT
>>Should a beat him to a pulp then swing him around till he died from vitality.

That was potentially an option, but just because the twit was mouthing about how a Paladin couldn't do anything to him without harming their soul was why I CHOSE not to harm him directly. <evil grin>. Did it specifically to prove a point to the clueless.

Redarch
Dwarf with an Axe.. Watch your toes!
Re: Dang thieves. 08/29/2007 11:53 PM CDT
Embarrasment can be more effective than death or damage.

Pomae

Any questions and/or comments can be sent to me at Mod-Pomae@Play.net, or Senior Board Moderator Annwyl at dr-annwyl@play.net or Board Supervisor Cecco at DR-Cecco@Play.net
Re: Dang thieves. 08/31/2007 03:19 PM CDT
That brawling move is so broken. I hate when people use it.

The longer someone kept me in that hold the more likely I would be to backstab them afterwards.