Stealing with Flair (was Kolaisa) 09/12/2005 12:13 PM CDT
>>And as far as roleplaying the thief. By your definition, it's almost impossible to roleplay a thief.

It depends on what kind of thief you want to roleplay. There's a difference between roleplaying a city pickpocket bumping into your victim and running away and a highwayman halting your progress and demanding you to "Stand and deliver" or saying, "Your money or your life." Oliver Twist was a thief, and so was the main character in "Whisky in the Jar." They had very different ways of going about their business.

>>I'm supposed to try to make every person feel happy that I just stole from them?

There was a Frenchman who was a highwayman in England in the 1700s, and he often charmed his victims so much that they wouldn't report him to the autorities. Something like he demanded a lesser portion of their money if he could have a dance with the victim's wife.

Go about it with a bit more flair or panache, and not "Heh heh heh u wuz pwnzed" and people will enjoy the roleplay of the experience more.

~Thilan
Re: Stealing with Flair (was Kolaisa) 09/12/2005 03:25 PM CDT
As Thilan's player is noting, there are numerous ways to roleplay a thief, a bandit or highwayman. There are numerous ways to roleplay any sort of miscreant or bad guy sort of charactor, a little effort is required but in the end the pay off is high I think.

Getting the reputation as a well roleplayed bad guy is a great rep to have. Instead of one of "Oh him? Yeah he's a freaking snipe and a pain in the ass to deal with. I log out when I am forced to deal with that charactor".(conversation over heard between two players at SIMUCON)

Verus "Oh that charactor? Yeah Harcourt was awesome to interact with, I loved every encounter I had with that bully boy thief. My charactors were always intimdated by him. Great fun everytime I saw his charactor in the game with one of mine."(Also over heard conversation between players at a SIMUCON)

Personally I'd want the second reputation versus the first, but that's just me. This is a roleplaying game, roleplaying means interaction between the charactors, not lets see which mechanics we can do repeatly to piss off another player.

There is a fine line between CvC and PvP, you don't want PvP, strive for CvC. Make sure the other player knows that is what is happening since apparently these concepts are nolonger understand by most these days. :(

Jim
Re: Stealing with Flair (was Kolaisa) 09/12/2005 03:46 PM CDT
Problem is it doesn't work if either side is a jerk or just uninclined to play.

Best case, let's pretend we had a group of thieves (guilded or not) and waylay mechanics. Thieves are hiding, see the caravan enter, and spring their trap. Trader can't move his caravan and the interaction starts...

Case 1:
Thiefguy says, "Hand over your money and no one gets hurt!"
Traderguy says, "wutevar"
Traderguy just left.

Case 2:
Thiefguy says, "money or die"
Traderguy gives Thiefguy some coins.
Thiefguy says, "that not all your coin"
Traderguy sighs.

Case 3:
Traderguy says, "Don't hurt me!"
You hear the voice of Thiefguy say, "Don't forget, this is Thiefguy territory."

See how the first two cases weren't any fun? Either the thieves get no satisfaction or the Trader loses a bunch of money. It's only fun if both players (not characters) are in it for the fun and not for the money/skill/advantage. It gets even worse if you add in something cool like a guard...

Case 1:
Thiefguy says, "money now"
Traderguy says, "Gadzooks, a robbery!"
Paladinguy says, "I shall protect your livelihood, fair sir!"
Someone fires an arrow from hiding. It lands an apocalyptic strike to Paladinguy, severing his head.
* Paladinguy was just struck down!
Traderguy says, "Aw, crap. Why'd you do that?"

Case 2:
Thiefguy says, "We rob the rich to feed the poor. And we're poor, so hand it over!"
Traderguy coughs.
Paladinguy gestures at Thiefguy.
A blazing flash of hammer-shaped lightstreaks out toward Thiefguy, exploding his chest!
* Thiefguy was just struck down!

Case 3:
Traderguy says, "Egads, bandits!"
Paladinguy says, "Begone with you, miscreants!"
Thiefguy says, "Five-Oh, run for it!"

It's unfortunate, but without some skill-teaching money-making stat-contesting mechanic in place, you're going to get one of the non-fun encounters the vast majority of the time.

Arcelebor

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
PSA - Sakhar's definition of RP is erroneous