Ethics of Aid (semi-long) 11/23/2002 03:31 PM CST
I was playing my new young (still first circle for the moment) paladin last night (I think his name is Thaev but I just rolled him up last night and don't remember for sure and am to lazy to check at the moment) and was up outside the NE gate in crossing foraging for branches in order to earn enough gold to buy all my armor. While there, another young player asked me some questions regarding carving branches and where to purchase carving/skinning knives. Looking over this character, I discovered that he was in fact a professional (if young) thief. Knowing that the Paladin guild takes a very hard line on theft, I found myself wondering if I should in fact aid him, since I would be helping a criminal whose work I opposed.

In the end, I decided to help him, in the hopes that my example might one day lead him to reform. I even gave him my own Knife Clan carving knife when we discoved that he did not currently have sufficient funds to purchase his own, a huge sacrifice for a paladin who is 2 gold in dept, has 5 bronze in the bank, and still hasn't purchased his weapons or armor. However, it got me thinking. How, as a law abiding and upright citizen and a member in good standing with the paladin's guild, should we respond when a member of a guild so opposed to ours requires aid?

Yven and assorted other, and Thaev the pallie who can't remember his own name...

PS Some kind soul left a carving knife on the 'new pallie' aid racks in the crossing guild about a half-hour after this all took place, so I was not knifeless for TOO long. : )
Re: Ethics of Aid (semi-long) 11/23/2002 04:21 PM CST
RP-wise, some Paladins may think of all souls as essentially good, and therefore attempt to aid everyone in the hopes of reforming them.

Likewise, others are not so optimistic about the essential goodness of the soul and so would therefore choose to punish the thief, if only by not aiding the thief.

My advice for you is to decide now how you wish to view the goodness of the soul (whether it is innately good or evil or neither) and go from there.
Re: Ethics of Aid (semi-long) 11/23/2002 05:09 PM CST
The question is moot, since there is no Thieves Guild. At least, no outward signs of it.

Tam
Re: Ethics of Aid (semi-long) 11/23/2002 05:36 PM CST
chuckle True, which is why I also advised out young theif (OOC of course) that he might want to SET !PROF... : )

Yven again
Re: Ethics of Aid (semi-long) 11/23/2002 10:01 PM CST
Yven,

Personally, Redarch never prejudges anyone based on Guild affiliation, whether it shows or not. Not all members of the Thieves guild are automatically our enemies. Some of the best hunting partners a Paladin could ask for are members of the Thieves guild.

So aiding a youngster, regardless of guild is always appropriate unless actions taken directly in view (i.e. killing or being seen stealing) dictate otherwise.

Just my opinion on this.

Redarch
Re: Ethics of Aid (semi-long) 11/24/2002 12:19 AM CST
>How, as a law abiding and upright citizen and a member in good standing with the paladin's guild, should we respond when a member of a guild so opposed to ours requires aid?

Lead by example.

Michael.
Re: Ethics of Aid (semi-long) 12/09/2002 07:13 AM CST
Just as an aside, if you go listen to the cook in the tenderfoot inn give his lecture on combat, he gives you a knife (carving or skinning, I can't recall) that you get to keep. Either one will work for carving branches, and it's free
Re: Ethics of Aid (semi-long) 03/22/2004 05:53 AM CST
PS Some kind soul left a carving knife on the 'new pallie' aid racks in the crossing guild about a half-hour after this all took place, so I was not knifeless for TOO long. :

That kind soul might be me, i can't forge good stuff yet, so i make carving knives to keep the counter moving and put any knives i finish on the rack. I am now starting to do that will gauntlets and helms and stuff. The stuff is less then store bought quality, but only by one notch so i hope younguns find the stuff and can use it till they got some coin. carving knives are good cuz you can carve of skin with them. If you find something on the rack you can use, help yourself, i just hope people don't get something off the rack and just sell it.
Re: Ethics of Aid (semi-long) 03/22/2004 05:57 AM CST
I help all younguns, even thives, but i try to put a small request with it, when they thank me, i just ask them to please refrain from stealing from empaths and paladins if they can. Since it is tough for both of us to get fair justice without causing ourselves problems.

I don't hate a thief just cuz they are a thief, one of my closest friends is a shadow guild character and a very kind and helping soul.
Re: Ethics of Aid (semi-long) 03/25/2004 10:07 PM CST
Ramble, ramble ramble.
Re: Ethics of Aid (semi-long) 03/26/2004 10:29 AM CST
<<Ramble, ramble ramble.

Badger, badger, badger?

Clynlyn

Check out Genie2 A Great New FE
http://www.clanshroud.org/genie