Gangs and the Riverhaven Ferry 07/08/2002 10:11 AM CDT
All of the comments I have seen here generally imply a one to one encounter with a Thief or thief. Mine was a very unhappy encounter with a gang of Thieves.

I was traveling to Theren with my 'brother' on a shopping trip. I had a little over a gold in small denomination coin. He had about four gold. We go to the ferry without incident. On the ferry there was a gang of Thieves. By my count about twelve, most were hidden but many stayed visible. Although we hid we were pointed out of hiding by the visible ones. Then cleaned out by the hidden ones. I wasn't even left with the 40 Lirums needed for the return trip.

We had no options. The ferry forces us to remain in the same room with the thieves for a long enough period of time for them to get every thing even though we were carring small denom coin. Six to 1 odds precludes fighting them on the spot. Theft on the ferry is not accusable. We have no recourse.

Banks are not the answer because you can't transfer money from one bank to another.

Travel north of dirge except copperless is impossible without losing your coin.

It's actually easier to pickpocket in Elanthia than in RL. We need Letters of credit, coin purses, etc. so coin could be transfered without great risk. Theft on public transportation should be accusable at the nearest town.

- Player of Dominarc
Re: Gangs and the Riverhaven Ferry 07/08/2002 10:24 AM CDT
yea, they were doing some roleplay event to get the attention of their guildleaders or something.

I'd check out if its safe yerself before sendin yer brother in next time. If they keep pointin ya out, its harassment, and ya can report. Other options are taking a moongate across or swimming. Just not traveling there at that time is another option.
Re: Gangs and the Riverhaven Ferry 07/08/2002 11:36 AM CDT
um, killing is another option

kill one then banner <heh>
they harrass, you harrass.. seems fair
Re: Gangs and the Riverhaven Ferry 07/08/2002 11:48 AM CDT
you just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

just like if you had been a trader up at stone clan and encountered Sorrow's minions.

It is not a constant threat to your purse, nor is it going to become that. :-)

-can neither confirm nor deny anythin' about thugs-
Re: Gangs and the Riverhaven Ferry 07/08/2002 12:37 PM CDT
In my spare time I and my horse are going to be riding the ferry... My paladin will not stand for this
Re: Gangs and the Riverhaven Ferry 07/08/2002 01:59 PM CDT
>We had no options

This is just to offer a suggestion, not to address the problem. One thing you can do is carry your money in the form of gems. Put the gems in a closed container, then put that container inside another closed container. Carry just enough coins to get on the ferry. When you get to where you want to shop, sell the gems and buy your stuff. Keep enough to pay your ferry fare on the way back, and viola!, nothing for the degenerates to take.

Killing and bannering sounds like an interesting option if there is enough mana. Also, your "consent" lasts for a period of time. You can always wait until you encounter one of the thieves alone away from the ferry and then do justice. Seek em out and do them one at a time (Glory has done this on one prior occassion). I believe you get at least 24 hours.

I personally like to build a reputation that says "steal from me at your own risk" - Halt is a great equalizer! ::shrugs::

Good Luck

Gloryarm
Re: Gangs and the Riverhaven Ferry 07/08/2002 02:22 PM CDT
>>This is just to offer a suggestion, not to address the problem. One thing you can do is carry your money in the form of gems. Put the gems in a closed container, then put that container inside another closed container. Carry just enough coins to get on the ferry. When you get to where you want to shop, sell the gems and buy your stuff. Keep enough to pay your ferry fare on the way back, and viola!, nothing for the degenerates to take. <<

I had thought of that idea (after the fact, of course) to carry gems. The markup on gems is too high to make it a type of currency.