Whats the right thing to do? 07/02/2002 03:15 PM CDT
Once as I was on my way to the west gate from Pallie guild and powerwalking I caught a "theif" in my pockets. Not sure of guild, so in general theif works...Anyway, I advanced, soul be damned...he retreated, numerous times saying I didnt need to be so hostile, I just kept advancing, and eventually he figured I wasnt going to quit, not exactly sure why, but I issued a challenge, and before he could accept, because he had screwed around so much, in come the town guards and arrest him. Leaving me with no justice. So I shrugged my shoulders, went to the guard house and accused him. I was determined to get something for my loss...well he finds me later and says its not nice to challenge and accuse....since when do we have to be nice and why should I care if he got caught? I was really confused, is there an ethics course I missed on justice? What would you fellow guild members have done, and what would you "theives" have expected to see?

Konnor
Re: Whats the right thing to do? 07/02/2002 03:18 PM CDT
Accuse him if he gets away or don't wana chance dieing to the thief in a fight...Kill him if ye get a chance...

Crusader Taghz
Re: Whats the right thing to do? 07/02/2002 03:45 PM CDT
<<Kill him if ye get a chance...

our acting interim guru , said it was very unpaladiny of me to actively seek retribution from thieves. But oh well. I agree kill the bugger if you think it serves your purpose. I will be maiming and making sure they cant move.

Clyn
Re: Whats the right thing to do? 07/02/2002 05:17 PM CDT
He was busted for something else. You did fine.

The ethics I was taught, and I think backed up by present justice system are you can do one of the following:

1) Kill creep on the spot -- how you do this will soon not matter because of first strike mechanics changing. Yay!
2) ACCUSE creep to gaurds -- make sure you LOOK CREEP to get his FULL NAME
3) ignore creep
4) RP it out -- ask for bribe, give creep second chance, ask for coins back, etc ..

There might be others, that is what I was taught my options were.

-Slaris
Re: Whats the right thing to do? 07/02/2002 08:44 PM CDT
Sure, You had the right. You were gonna fight him and take justice there, but the Guards snatched him up, so in turn you accused him. What, he thinks that simply because he accepted a challenge that everything should be ok? Ya right, he might as well accepted and seconds later, stopped the challenge admitting you better, That is no retribution. For his stupidity, You should not only accuse him, but continue with th kill. Then when he says soemthing, shove a fist full of poison in his mouth after the Cleric resurects him.

~ Teh Solo Hunta
Re: Whats the right thing to do? 07/02/2002 08:57 PM CDT
I would have accused him after he got out of jail, that'd have really pissed him off.
Re: Whats the right thing to do? 07/03/2002 04:16 AM CDT
I dont see honor personaly in slaying thieves, a lot might, i do not... 'if' i am annoyed enough i will accuse and get the soul lift, and i know a lot of thieves who would rather die in a fight rather than loose bonus cause of accuse.

It is against town law to murder within city walls, that is why we have a justice system.

This is MY personal oppinion and i find it rather ironic those shouting 'we are not realm cops' think they are at the same time judge, jury and executioner.....

Michael.
Re: Whats the right thing to do? 07/03/2002 09:38 PM CDT
Sure, You had the right. You were gonna fight him and take justice there, but the Guards snatched him up, so in turn you accused him. What, he thinks that simply because he accepted a challenge that everything should be ok? Ya right, he might as well accepted and seconds later, stopped the challenge admitting you better, That is no retribution. For his stupidity, You should not only accuse him, but continue with th kill. Then when he says soemthing, shove a fist full of poison in his mouth after the Cleric resurects him.

~ Teh Solo Hunta

I like the way you think....
Konnor
Re: Whats the right thing to do? 07/04/2002 01:34 AM CDT
To be honest, If the thief is near my own level <ya, as if i would ever had caught them? ha!> i'd actually accuse, THEN proceed to kill, or at least mame. However, I like the way Rock handled things...Halt, and shove a nice strong batch of poison in the mouth. Michael has a good point though. Death is just an inconvenience now. Loss of ability, or penalty to abilities is a lot worse than a 1 minute rejuve, depart, and begin stealing again...

~ Teh Solo Hunta
Re: Whats the right thing to do? 07/04/2002 05:18 PM CDT
>>However, I like the way Rock handled things...Halt, and shove a nice strong batch of poison in the mouth>>

actually, what rock used ta do was halt and then give ya a lecture.... that went on,and on, and on....

i woulda preferred da poison....

-schvartz-
Re: Whats the right thing to do? 07/04/2002 05:52 PM CDT
Yup and that long standing tradition is out the window with halt lasting as long as it does ;)

Tyden
Re: Whats the right thing to do? 07/04/2002 11:16 PM CDT
>>I like the way Rock handled things...Halt, and shove a nice strong batch of poison in the mouth.

Actually, if you've trained brawling and strength.. another method that works is a nice strong HALT.. followed by a brawling shove.. grapple and then just pin em there for a bit while ya "lecture" them on the insidious evils of a life of crime :)

I've actually had pocket divers beg me to go accuse em instead of continuing my lecture <chuckle>.

Redarch
Re: Whats the right thing to do? 07/08/2002 08:57 PM CDT
>To be honest, If the thief is near my own level <ya, as if i would ever had caught them? ha!> i'd actually accuse, THEN proceed to kill, or at least mame.

This is against policy. I'd be careful if you intend to use this method.
Re: Whats the right thing to do? 07/09/2002 02:15 AM CDT
To Adon -- Yes, Rock DID use Scorpion Pulp because my thief stole from him, was caught, and was poisoned... a few times :)

>To be honest, If the thief is near my own level <ya, as if i would ever had caught them? ha!> i'd actually accuse, THEN proceed to kill, or at least mame.

>This is against policy. I'd be careful if you intend to use this method.

How is this Against Policy? usually I don't bother with accuse cause I never think about it but still... how? Accuse = 'Maybe they'll get caught yay" and Murder = redemption.

~ Teh Solo Hunta
Re: Whats the right thing to do? 07/09/2002 02:22 AM CDT
<<How is this Against Policy? usually I don't bother with accuse cause I never think about it but still... how? Accuse = 'Maybe they'll get caught yay" and Murder = redemption.>>

You can kill or accuse, not both...

--Just a Squire
Re: Whats the right thing to do? 07/09/2002 03:44 AM CDT
... And that is just one of the reasons I quit playin Prime over a year ago. Only reason I started playin DR again is because they started up TF. That shouldn't be covered in Policy. My defense for this statement is that Accusing helps the guards know who is in town stealing, and it helps the citizens of the province by announcing the names of the thieves. The murderous retaliation would be the "victems" revenge.

If you know of somebody who is actively stealing, and you don't report them, then you are an accomplise. For that reason, a Paladin might be arrested and thrown in jail. A deep feeling of guilt and embarassment would make his soul turn black. All this because he chose to avenge his pockets, instead of doing his duty as a Paladin, and protecting the innocents of the population?

Just something to think about...

~ Teh Solo Hunta
Re: Whats the right thing to do? 07/09/2002 04:39 AM CDT
> If you know of somebody who is actively stealing, and you don't report them, then you are an accomplise. For that reason, a Paladin might be arrested and thrown in jail. A deep feeling of guilt and embarassment would make his soul turn black. All this because he chose to avenge his pockets, instead of doing his duty as a Paladin, and protecting the innocents of the population?

No I don't agree this makes us sound too much like vigilantes. and that is something we are not. Alerting the Guards would be more in line with protecting the the innocents of the population. By both accusing and murdering you are taking two bites of the apple, That kinda thing might be ok in TF but its not in prime.

Michael.
Re: Whats the right thing to do? 07/09/2002 08:33 AM CDT
you get one bite from the apple, you can accuse, you can kill.... you do both and you're no better den a teef.
Re: Whats the right thing to do? 07/09/2002 08:34 AM CDT
.. but of course, if the accusal fails (which it sometimes does), feel free to killtha thief.

Least then you geta soul bonus out of it.
Re: Whats the right thing to do? 07/09/2002 11:29 AM CDT
How do you figure Vigilante? You took my statement the wrong way. I was referring to doing your paladin duty by accusing them, and helping keep Elanthia a 'Safer Place'. Then getting your own Revenge and killin them. Its ok, once I get my poison - I won't worry about doing either :)

And to the 'If your accuse fails, then kill them" Wouldn't that break the rules that the sensitive Paladins in Prime have setup? "Oh You just accused him, it did't work, but thats teh one you chose, how dare you go and kill him now...'

As far as a thief going to jail, they have ingame-cookies that help them with this. Their names get errased from the wanted boards, and only if they are really stupid do the guards grab them. The bonus hit for being caught and accused probably isn't ALL that bad, because if it was, why would a thief bother stealin from you unless he was out of town where he can't get accused?

~ Teh Solo Hunta
Re: Whats the right thing to do? 07/09/2002 03:01 PM CDT
<<As far as a thief going to jail, they have ingame-cookies that help them with this. Their names get errased from the wanted boards, and only if they are really stupid do the guards grab them. The bonus hit for being caught and accused probably isn't ALL that bad, because if it was, why would a thief bother stealin from you unless he was out of town where he can't get accused?>>

dunno where you think you got that information, but its dead wrong.

the only time your name is "erased" from the wanted boards is when you aren't logged into the game. Then its back again when you log that character back in.

The town guards, particularly in crossing... are set up to grab folks right away as well.

Our cookies don't get our names erased, and I have every cookie our guild presently bakes. I wish to Damaris it were that easy.

Schvartz
Re: Whats the right thing to do? 07/09/2002 04:22 PM CDT
<<And to the 'If your accuse fails, then kill them" Wouldn't that break the rules that the sensitive Paladins in Prime have setup? "Oh You just accused him, it did't work, but thats teh one you chose, how dare you go and kill him now...'>>

Unlesstha sensitive paladins are with you, they won't know, and neither willtha thief.

Thieves dunt get any typa message sayin they were just accused but it didn't work.

Therefore, you get soul bonus to counteract the killing blow... but if you are good, you can maim them then just grapple and wait ferumta bleed to death.

Course, ahm not condonin this course of action. Abide bytha law, citizens.
Re: Whats the right thing to do? 07/09/2002 09:15 PM CDT
>And to the 'If your accuse fails, then kill them" Wouldn't that break the rules that the sensitive Paladins in Prime have setup? "Oh You just accused him, it did't work, but thats teh one you chose, how dare you go and kill him now...'

No. The way I see it, the paladin tried to do the 'right thing' by accusing, but the guards didn't believe him, so he chose to take justice into his own hands. He knows a crime has been committed and at the cost of his own money(murder fine) and his standing(soul) he's going to see justice done one way or another.

It is all a matter of perspective, but doing both will get you in trouble if you pick the wrong thief.
Re: Whats the right thing to do? 07/09/2002 09:22 PM CDT
actually, both accusing someone and then killing them--

or.... being accused and then killing the accuser--

would be against policy.

Bide your time in either case.

If you are a paladin and they are a thief--they are probably going to try your pockets some time in the future and you can choose the other alternative if you desire to do so.

Same thing if you're a thief. Sooner or later they are going to be out of town with coins in their pockets.

:-)
Re: Whats the right thing to do? 07/10/2002 04:02 AM CDT
>And to the 'If your accuse fails, then kill them" Wouldn't that break the rules that the sensitive Paladins in Prime have setup? "Oh You just accused him, it did't work, but thats teh one you chose, how dare you go and kill him now...'

ok sorry this conversation is mute i didnt realize you are playing TF, a completely different game.

When are they gona have a different folder for TF?? otherwise its gona be dang confusing round here.

Michael.
Re: Whats the right thing to do? 07/10/2002 04:10 AM CDT
http://home.earthlink.net/~shadow_spirit/

The address shown is a web page I created that contains a portion of the proposal sent to Maelona. The original document was nearly 10 pages long (grin). If you have any constructive input you can email me at autry@play.net

-Pilf
Re: Whats the right thing to do? 07/10/2002 11:40 AM CDT
<<ok sorry this conversation is mute i didnt realize you are playing TF, a completely different game.>>

New Michael, you are a riot.

The other you was so much better.

Please keep totha topic at hand, sir.
Re: Whats the right thing to do? 07/10/2002 12:50 PM CDT
yack, yack, yack, yack, yack.....

1. Teef steals
2. You catch teef
3. You kill teef or teef kills you
4. Problem is solved

Laythor, who doesnt worry about such things
Re: Whats the right thing to do? 07/11/2002 06:24 AM CDT
>New Michael, you are a riot.

I aint new

>The other you was so much better.

sure if you think getting permalocked for stealing characters better, power to you bub.

>Please keep totha topic at hand, sir.

My post had everything to do with the topic and yours?

please stop making a fool of yourself.

Michael.
Re: Whats the right thing to do? 07/11/2002 10:18 AM CDT
<<sure if you think getting permalocked for stealing characters better, power to you bub.>>

Cry me a river, new Michael.

<<My post had everything to do with the topic and yours?Please stop making a fool of yourself.>>

No, it realla didn't.

Makin fun of assertive paladins ain't in any way connected with theft deterrance and how to go about it. Evraone has their own ways. You have yours... and we try not to bash you, even if yer ways are subpar.

Please sir, stop withtha sarcasm unless you have advice to give. Thank you.
Re: Whats the right thing to do? 07/12/2002 06:55 AM CDT
Welp I had to delete my last post cause it was just a flame, and I not gona play your silly kiddie games. I can understand you got so cut up cause I didn't agree with you that you felt the need to bring up the fact that i wasnt allways Michael. Whatever bakes your cake Glemm and makes you feel better.

PS. please speak for yourself and not use "we" cause you certainly do not speak for the rest of the guild or any significant part of it.

Michael.
Re: Whats the right thing to do? 07/12/2002 12:12 PM CDT
Ladies/Gentlemen... If you want to pick on each other, take it into conflicts. No ones crossed the line yet, but your gettin close. Dont take this as a warning, just a heads up.

Thank you

Pomae
Re: Whats the right thing to do? 07/14/2002 09:04 AM CDT
Dont take this warning as a warning
just take it as a warning of a warning that will warn you