Stealing and first strike 04/29/2002 05:00 PM CDT
Here's one for ya...

Why can't stealing count as a first strike? Would mean we could attack thieves without taking a major soul hit...

It seems logical... I mean, what else are we supposed to do? Stand their and let them steal?

Calemnon
Re: Stealing and first strike 04/30/2002 05:05 PM CDT
That's what hand of justice was put there for.

If you can catch them, that'stha retaliation.

Ah still agree withya, though.
Re: Stealing and first strike 04/30/2002 06:06 PM CDT
HoJ is inneffective in its current form...
Re: Stealing and first strike 04/30/2002 06:41 PM CDT
I think the point was that stealing is considered a first strike in the sense of consent. Why is it therfore not considered a first strike in relation to a Paladin and their soul hit?

--Just a Squire
Re: Stealing and first strike 04/30/2002 08:08 PM CDT
> HoJ is inneffective in its current form...

This spell has potential, never got the spell, read the scroll. I would not get the spell in its current form. It needs to make the thief drop the coins (none of that stole with my other hand crap, the hand that gets crushed is obviously the one in the pocket), and it needs more damage.

I would vote for the broken hand, not just an internal bleeder, stun, and longer rt.

Smash that hand! <grin> Wheeeee!

-Slaris. on a roll
Re: Stealing and first strike 05/01/2002 02:15 AM CDT
Don't forget longer duration... it doesn't last long enough.
Re: Stealing and first strike 05/01/2002 06:03 AM CDT
well, i got the spell, mostly to play with it and test it out. I frankly don't use it all that much, and with the magic rewrite coming out with its attendant re-choice of spells, it gives me the choice of getting spells that hopefully will be more useful to me in my daily activities. Clarity I might keep tho, merely to help me be more aware of my "environment". But if it comes down to getting Divine Armor or HOJ, i'm going with DA.

-adon-
Re: Stealing and first strike 05/01/2002 04:06 PM CDT
>>Don't forget longer duration... it doesn't last long enough.

I think you can get near half an hour at 60ish mana.

Re: Stealing and first strike 05/04/2002 04:49 AM CDT
Not effective?

(considers)

Well let me put it this way, ive never yet stolen from a hand that twitched after I marked someone. Does it crush a thieves hand every time? Err probably not, but the sheer fact that it 'could' happen will ward away almost every thief. The ones that dont are probably morons (and will have pancake hands very soon) or are so skilled you didnt have a chance in hades to catch em ever :)

-Constatine
Re: Stealing and first strike 05/04/2002 05:27 AM CDT
It isn't always that either.

Sometimes its just a matter of testing your skills against other people.

Just as some spar other people with weapons, sometimes the steal on the twitching hand--is seeing if you can get past their defenses without getting caught.

A test of others, and of yourself--to see if you're good enough.

Schvartz
Re: Stealing and first strike 05/04/2002 05:54 PM CDT
Here is what I would like HoJ to do.

If you catch the thief and crush their hand they take a significant bonus hit. Same concept as us taking a soul hit. If they get pulled out, they get a smaller hit. Now, if they succeed they should get a small boost to their bonus.

We do good, our abilities are improved. We do bad out abilities weaken. A thief's bonus should have the same concept.

Anyway that is my 2 kronar. ~which the thief gets with or without HoJ~
Re: Stealing and first strike 05/04/2002 06:01 PM CDT
They do take a bonus hit. Every time a thief is caught picking a pocket they are supposed to take a small hit as I understand.

Hege
Re: Stealing and first strike 05/04/2002 06:30 PM CDT
>They do take a bonus hit. Every time a thief is caught picking a pocket they are supposed to take a small hit as I understand.

Not unless the person who catches them successfully accuses them to the guards.

Apu
Re: Stealing and first strike 05/04/2002 06:40 PM CDT
Hmm, I could of sworn just getting caught gives a small hit. My bad if that isn't the case.

Hege
Re: Stealing and first strike 05/04/2002 07:38 PM CDT
The GMs state reward-v-risk quite often. To me, getting a tiny bleeder and keeping the loot offers no risk. You cannot be accused so your bonus is ok. Where exactly is the risk?

If they get caught let them take a hit or two to their bonus, depending on if they are pulled out or crushed. They should not have their bonus totally tanked, no matter what. To make it fair they should get a little something extra if they successfully pull it off.

When we lose our spells HoJ is one that I am not going to get again. In its current form it poses no significant deterrent nor threat to the thieves, guilded or not.
Re: Stealing and first strike 05/04/2002 09:34 PM CDT
you don't get any kinda bleeder you can tend, because the INTERNAL hand bleeders that you get from the results of HOJ are not tendable.

and right now we don't have anything we can do that improves bonus, like paladins do with soul and tending.
that's one of our major gripes right now that we are trying to work out. although having just lost our guru doesn't make that easy. ;-)

btw, had fun with you folks in the paladin/thief day thing, and then huntin along with one of ya up in TC.

thieves and pallies CAN sometimes get along, ya know.
Re: Stealing and first strike 05/05/2002 12:53 AM CDT
Being caught by HOJ causes a penalty to a thieves stealing/hidding/stalking for time depending on the ages of the people involved. It does not effect the thief bonus directly. Why? Because then anyone aside from theives could steal from you with little thought, but this seperate penalty applies equally to everyone.

Be happy you have it

-Constatine