Polearms as a main weapon 09/30/2015 11:17 AM CDT
Hey all,

I am a returning player (Used to play on AOL, and then for the first couple years after the migration to the web; and then have been on again for a few months, off again for a few years, since then). It doesn't seem like too much has changed since my last on again period, probably in the spring/summer of 2013, but in searching around for advice I have noticed a lot of Paladins suggesting taking up polearms as a great primary weapon. I always played a sword/shield prototypical paladin in the past, so that is what I am familiar with, but I decided to start from scratch this time. I figured that makes for a great opportunity for a new primary weapon, and I have always had a thing for polearms stylistically anyway. With my distant and recent past experience, however, I don't really know much about the weapon set.

I'm not even sure what questions to ask but: what advice would you give to a polearm novice about the weapons in general?

A specific question would be: what is your take on the different polearm crafted weapon templates; either generally, or specifically for a young Paladin, and then possibly shifting as he grows?

I ran into Caraamon, and he forged me up a steel bardiche, after I had asked him about halberds and he suggested the bardiche instead. So that is what I am working with currently.
Re: Polearms as a main weapon 09/30/2015 12:05 PM CDT

> It doesn't seem like too much has changed since my last on again period

A lot of changes go unsung. Try this: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/What%27s_New

> I'm not even sure what questions to ask but: what advice would you give to a polearm novice about the weapons in general?

Combo maneuvers are where it's at. See here: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Maneuvers

or a basic chart here: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Combat_3.0

You'll chain these as you need based on your stats and weapon sizes.

Also note that you'll have melee mastery skills that will help you train the weapons at a higher level, and you'll probably want to throw in a few more weapons while you're at it. This one will lock fairly quickly if you're back training it. Two-handed edge, blunts, even quarterstaffs are good for hard hits. Smaller weapons are good for balance and position and rapid fire attacks. Brawling and tactics are a musts.
Re: Polearms as a main weapon 09/30/2015 12:07 PM CDT
Not a Paladin myself, but I see a lot of the high level ones using lances.

My personal advice would be to grab a spear (preferably a light spear/javelin) while you are young and use it to train HT and Polearms with one weapon. From 0-~200 ranks throwing a forged light spear is hands down the quickest way to kill anything. The Polearms skills encompasses pretty much all of the Two-handed Edged and Large Edge skill within one so you will always have options.
Re: Polearms as a main weapon 09/30/2015 12:10 PM CDT

> My personal advice would be to grab a spear (preferably a light spear/javelin) while you are young and use it to train HT and Polearms with one weapon. From 0-~200 ranks throwing a forged light spear is hands down the quickest way to kill anything. The Polearms skills encompasses pretty much all of the Two-handed Edged and Large Edge skill within one so you will always have options.

I don't think that the weapon really matters so long as it's big enough to qualify as a HT. I use a claymore and halberd on my paladin, and I'll lob them for HT experience.
Re: Polearms as a main weapon 09/30/2015 12:21 PM CDT
<<I don't think that the weapon really matters so long as it's big enough to qualify as a HT. I use a claymore and halberd on my paladin, and I'll lob them for HT experience.

The spear is more accurate due to it's balance, but yes, improvised thrown weapons kind of break the mold somewhat. I'm not entirely decided if the game would benefit from it being curbed back or not. On one hand you're going to eventually want an actual thrown weapon once you start getting into high tier crafted items so it becomes a moot point, but on the other hand it does diminish the concept of what separates a thrown weapon from a non-thrown one particularly at low levels.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Polearms as a main weapon 09/30/2015 12:25 PM CDT
Plus, hauling off and chucking a claymore at someone is... pretty weird.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/55/165134508_a0ec8dfa70_b.jpg

~Kashik
Re: Polearms as a main weapon 09/30/2015 12:41 PM CDT

It's unorthodox, but we're talking about people carrying around half a dozen weapons, and half a dozen boxes, and a drying pyramid, and haversack, and a backpack, and some thick robes, and a cloak, and multiple layers of clothing, and full plate armor, and a set of chain armor in their backpack (which they change out of mid fight). All of this while casting spells and skinning massive granite gargoyles in seconds, while fighting off more gargoyles, and never even kneeling down or even removing the large shield on their other arm.

Throwing a greatsword seems like one of the more realistic aspects of the game, in relation to everything else.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hfLZozBVpM&t=8m28s
Re: Polearms as a main weapon 09/30/2015 12:50 PM CDT
I'm not considering realism at all with my concern, but rather the loss of identity of the thrown templates. I.e. Why have a thrown template when you can throw any weapon and be just as effective?

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Polearms as a main weapon 09/30/2015 12:57 PM CDT
>>Why have a thrown template when you can throw any weapon and be just as effective?

I agree with this. I think that the added RT and diminished accuracy needs to be put back on improvised thrown weapons, or increased if it's already there. Weapons that are made to be thrown have their damage balanced with that in mind, and it makes them pointless when you can just throw a greatsword or khuj and be just as effective if not more.
Re: Polearms as a main weapon 09/30/2015 01:14 PM CDT

> but rather the loss of identity of the thrown templates.

I can agree with this too. It's likely the logic bechind why bastard swords are no longer the prime 2HE/HE template. There's a trade-off for convenience.

I still think you should be allowed to throw the very large weapons, but maybe notch up the balance to be more important in the to-hit calculations.
Re: Polearms as a main weapon 09/30/2015 02:13 PM CDT
>>in searching around for advice I have noticed a lot of Paladins suggesting taking up polearms as a great primary weapon.

I've honestly never understood the appeal of polearms, mechanically speaking, for the Paladin guild. I expect the ability to attack from pole range would entice those who PvP, considering the overwhelming lack of ranged attack bonus' the guild has. However, because I eschew all forms of PvP, that perk doesn't really apply to me. I'd be intensely fascinated to learn why other, more experienced Paladins are so keen on them though, I've been looking for a new type of weapon to train but always glossed over them.

>>I figured that makes for a great opportunity for a new primary weapon, and I have always had a thing for polearms stylistically anyway.

I can certainly appreciate the aspects of roleplay and personal preference behind selecting a polearm, and thematically the image of a Paladin wielding a halberd or lance of some sort is brilliant. I too have noticed a lot of Paladins using polearms more frequently, but presumed it was just one of those trends that seems to lose cohesion after a while e.g. The bastard sword being the quintessential weapon of the realms in the late 90's until they fell out of vogue for whatever reason.

- Anuind Lyndon

When naming your holy weapon consider the following: Everyone has a Holy Avenger or a Divine Vengeance. Why not go with something your foes will never accept the shame of being smote by, such as "The Fuzzy Kitten"
Re: Polearms as a main weapon 09/30/2015 02:16 PM CDT
To answer the OP's question, Polearm is entirely viable as a main weapon, and several paladins use it, or wish they'd always trained it. Not only because it's awesome, but because you can joust as well. My mid level paladin and my mid-high level thief both train it in their prime rotations. Polearms are great. I prefer a slicer because I specifically use the slice attack. I use a Glaive.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Polearms as a main weapon 09/30/2015 02:34 PM CDT

> I've honestly never understood the appeal of polearms, mechanically speaking, for the Paladin guild. I expect the ability to attack from pole range would entice those who PvP,

I'm not an experienced paladin. I'm not a PvP'r. I'm not a high level player, but my perception is still that polearms generally have great stats, better balance than a two hander, and who doesn't love attacking when they can't be hit? Even if it's just ret/jab/repeat to regain position/balance.

There's one other obvious reason to train every weapon you can. TDPs. That makes you better at everything else.
Re: Polearms as a main weapon 09/30/2015 02:34 PM CDT

> I prefer a slicer because I specifically use the slice attack. I use a Glaive.

Doesn't smite use a slice attack too?
Re: Polearms as a main weapon 09/30/2015 02:49 PM CDT
I use polearm as my main.

As most know, since my return it has become my favorite weapon template. You have those that do massive slice damage and those that do massive puncture damage, both of which tend to carry with them at least moderate impact damage and nice balance. Further, you have both one-handed and two-handed templates that allow you to hit from melee or pole-range. With the advent of shield-bashing with arm-worn shields, the necessity of one-handed weapons has lessened, but my one-handed senci javelin has better stats than a one-handed tyrium broadsword.

For a light polearm there are always many forged options: orasteel light spears or javelins are common. However, I also recommend picking up a cheap javelin from the General Store in Shard. It is an odd template and doesn't have major damage stats, but it is very light, one-handed, and also hits from pole-range. It's too bad the forged one's do not.

As per Anuind's not understanding the appeal of polearms, all I can say is that generally the damage/balance stats on them is better than other weapons of equal weight. Paladins have them in their sphere of influence, meaning we have a lower penalty for using 2-handed versions than we do for 2HE weapons, as masters of jousting it is an important skill to learn, and from a purely OOC standpoint being good with a sword and a lance was very common among armored and mounted knights.

I personally do not understand why any Paladins would not use them.

--Just a Squire

Riveted to the metal is a small copper plaque depicting a shield crossed with a longsword overlaying a field of thirteen stars. Encircling the design are the words, "Many Faces - One God."
Re: Polearms as a main weapon 09/30/2015 02:59 PM CDT
>> I too have noticed a lot of Paladins using polearms more frequently, but presumed it was just one of those trends that seems to lose cohesion after a while e.g. The bastard sword being the quintessential weapon of the realms in the late 90's until they fell out of vogue for whatever reason.

The new crafting system is what changed a lot of this. The Polearms skill is a very versatile weapon skill, especially when compared to 2HE/HE. In fact, it does more and does it better than both those skills combined.

As for bastard swords, they had more overall damage than any other weapon in the game before new crafting, and since then they have been nerfed to be more in balance with every other weapon in the game. They are now heavier, and tend to do less damage than they used to. It's not a big surprise that people stopped using them.
Re: Polearms as a main weapon 09/30/2015 03:03 PM CDT
Compelling observations certainly. I suppose I never took a close enough look at the stats on polearms, but after reevaluating them I can certainly see what you mean by the balance/suitedness/damage equations. I was unaware they removed 2HE and 2HB from our sphere of influence, Elanthipedia indicates they're both still within it.

- Anuind Lyndon

When naming your holy weapon consider the following: Everyone has a Holy Avenger or a Divine Vengeance. Why not go with something your foes will never accept the shame of being smote by, such as "The Fuzzy Kitten"
Re: Polearms as a main weapon 09/30/2015 03:11 PM CDT
>I was unaware they removed 2HE and 2HB from our sphere of influence, Elanthipedia indicates they're both still within it.<

Then perhaps I'm incorrect. Someone had told me that they were not in our SOI. I never fact-checked. Apologies.

--Just a Squire

Riveted to the metal is a small copper plaque depicting a shield crossed with a longsword overlaying a field of thirteen stars. Encircling the design are the words, "Many Faces - One God."
Re: Polearms as a main weapon 09/30/2015 03:19 PM CDT
>>Then perhaps I'm incorrect. Someone had told me that they were not in our SOI. I never fact-checked. Apologies.

No excuses Lennon! I hold your word as gospel, and now my fragile in-game-reality is shattering all around me!

All kidding aside, I expect the main reason I never gave much merit to two handed weapons is because I enjoy holding my shield in my off hand for the marginally higher protection it affords. Ergo I've always stuck with HE and HB weapons. The fact of the matter is with the new forging templates a heavy kertig or haralun scimitar appears to trounce a broadsword of the same make thoroughly.

- Anuind Lyndon

Re: Polearms as a main weapon 09/30/2015 03:31 PM CDT
>Even if it's just ret/jab/repeat to regain position/balance.

Just as a side note: I prefer the shove/jab and shove/thrust using my puncture pole-range polearm.

The Kasto mimic abruptly solidifies, looking very much like Kasto.
>
You say, "What a handsome fellow you are!"
Re: Polearms as a main weapon 09/30/2015 03:50 PM CDT
Polearms are a fantastic choice. As a template it's (now) very versatile, broad range of weights, with pole and or throwable options. Can't really go wrong.

Samsaren
Re: Polearms as a main weapon 09/30/2015 04:27 PM CDT
>For a light polearm there are always many forged options: orasteel light spears or javelins are common. However, I also recommend picking up a cheap javelin from the General Store in Shard. It is an odd template and doesn't have major damage stats, but it is very light, one-handed, and also hits from pole-range. It's too bad the forged one's do not.

Might be a good idea to vault up an extra. The shop renovation project could remove or change this inventory.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Polearms as a main weapon 09/30/2015 04:45 PM CDT

Bastard swords fell out of favor largely because they went from best in class HE/2HE stats to mediocre stats in both categories.
Re: Polearms as a main weapon 09/30/2015 05:30 PM CDT
Swappables as a whole lost stats due to versatility and saving you the 20-50 stone of a partner weapon.

Polearms in current DR offer insane value. They can be 1 or 2 handed, they can be puncture or slice. They can be pole or melee. They can be thrown. They have great balance. Tons of different weight options. Good impact.

They're a great choice for anyone in DR right now. Paladins get a second nod just because Paladins will tend to focus on the stats (i.e. strength and stamina/etc.) which benefit large, two handed, weapons.
Re: Polearms as a main weapon 09/30/2015 06:08 PM CDT
>>Dbabiash: A specific question would be: what is your take on the different polearm crafted weapon templates; either generally, or specifically for a young Paladin, and then possibly shifting as he grows?

I personally like pike-style templates, because they focus on puncture damage -- a damage type that my other weapons lack. However, if you're wanting to replace an edged weapon with a polearm, then a halberd-style template will serve you well.

I recommend choosing something light and balanced for your first polearm. As you grow in strength and stamina, you can upgrade to something heavier and/or longer.

How some of the forged weapon templates stack up: http://www.elanthia.org/Charts/CraftedWeapons.xls

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Polearms as a main weapon 10/01/2015 10:25 AM CDT
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I think I'll stick with my 36-stone bardiche for now and see how I like it, but it may be worth it to explore the pike-type templates in the future, as Isharon mentioned, since none of the weapons I am training are very conducive to piercing damage.
Re: Polearms as a main weapon 10/01/2015 11:14 AM CDT
>The fact of the matter is with the new forging templates a heavy kertig or haralun scimitar appears to trounce a broadsword of the same make thoroughly.

You're right. The RT advantage makes medium edged weapons superior in DPS, and the damage potential of 2HE makes it superior in raw damage (ie, better against heavy armor). Large Edged might be a "jack-of-all-trades" weapon type but it doesn't perform in that role well enough because it shares 2HE's RT pattern and you're typically better off going sword-and-board with small edged if that's important to you (general "you"). Polearms are more of a jack-of-all-trades weapon type because they do everything very well, but they don't have the heaviest templates or have the most slice or blunt damage or have any very light templates. I love polearms and have a crush on staves.

I've mentioned this before, but I think 2HE and large edged should be combined into one skill like light and medium edged were. That way, there's at least a good reason (not just more TDPs) to use large edged weapons fresh out of the character manager. Same for large blunt and 2HB. Alternatively, lowering the jab RT for large weapons to match small weapons might do the trick. I know it would be counterintuitive to give large weapons the same jab RT as small weapons, but it's a balance over realism concern.

Despite the issue with "large" weapons, all weapon skills are way better and more balanced in 3.x than they ever were previously. Kodius and/or the combat team did a fantastic job of giving different weapon types unique advantages and disadvantages while buffing underutilized weapons like halberds and pikes.
Re: Polearms as a main weapon 10/01/2015 12:29 PM CDT
>>The RT advantage makes medium edged weapons superior in DPS, and the damage potential of 2HE makes it superior in raw damage (ie, better against heavy armor). Large Edged might be a "jack-of-all-trades" weapon type but it doesn't perform in that role well enough because it shares 2HE's RT pattern and you're typically better off going sword-and-board with small edged if that's important to you (general "you").

I've wrestled with that fact a while now. With a 400 and change rank discrepancy between Large and Small edge weapons and my disinterest in hunting, the prospect of back training Small edge to be my primary weapon is only slightly less appealing than viciously attacking my groin with a pair of rusty scissors.

>>Polearms are more of a jack-of-all-trades weapon type because they do everything very well, but they don't have the heaviest templates or have the most slice or blunt damage or have any very light templates. I love polearms and have a crush on staves.

After reading Lennon's post and doing some research about polearms, I'm a fervent believer in the weapons versatility and strength. I'd highly encourage anyone, not just Paladins, to select it as a high priority weapon skill to train. Frankly, I'm at a loss to find any legitimate (mechanical) reason not to choose it for one of the top three weapons all players train.

>>I've mentioned this before, but I think 2HE and large edged should be combined into one skill like light and medium edged were. That way, there's at least a good reason (not just more TDPs) to use large edged weapons fresh out of the character manager. Same for large blunt and 2HB. Alternatively, lowering the jab RT for large weapons to match small weapons might do the trick. I know it would be counterintuitive to give large weapons the same jab RT as small weapons, but it's a balance over realism concern.

These options would certainly add some much needed allure for Large Edge/Blunt weapons. As stated above, reduced RT, weight, and nigh comparable stats on Small Edge/Blunt weapons makes them the clear front runner. There really only seems to be a hand full of reasons to use Large Edge/Blunt at all e.g. TDP gain, Role Play reasons, or in my case, having invested so much time, and so many ranks into the skill changing over now would make playing DR a job and not recreation.

>>Despite the issue with "large" weapons, all weapon skills are way better and more balanced in 3.x than they ever were previously. Kodius and/or the combat team did a fantastic job of giving different weapon types unique advantages and disadvantages while buffing underutilized weapons like halberds and pikes.

I agree emphatically! Using my own misconceptions as an example, I was laboring under the impression that polearms were all but useless due to my outdated knowledge of their stats. As it turns out with the new templates, they're arguably the most solid, versatile weapons in the game at the moment. After examining the information on polearms, I went back to double check staff slings in the event they were also given a wider range of adaptability. I suppose we'll have to wait for 4.0 before they really come into their own though heh.

- Anuind Lyndon

Re: Polearms as a main weapon 10/01/2015 03:14 PM CDT
While slings themselves aren't great in terms of stats, you can make pretty good use of them with 3.x crafted ammo until sling crafting itself becomes available. I'm happy with how crafted ranged weapons feel so far, so I'm sure slings 3.0 will be great when it's released.
Re: Polearms as a main weapon 10/01/2015 05:44 PM CDT
I happen to like slings, even with the lackluster damage, just because it's a fast-loading ranged weapon I can use shield on.

There's really no direct benefit to it other than that :-/ We've always asked for 'trick' bullets or so on. And I'd love a multi-shot style sling (rock shotgun!!!)
Re: Polearms as a main weapon 10/01/2015 07:42 PM CDT
>>I happen to like slings, even with the lackluster damage, just because it's a fast-loading ranged weapon I can use shield on.

I do too, in fact slings are the only ranged weapon I seriously train. I think there must have been a misunderstanding before, I'd said staff slings didn't appear to get much love.

- Anuind Lyndon