New Squire Idea 06/11/2015 02:53 PM CDT
I am planning on setting a goal for myself as a commoner training to join the esteemed Paladin Guild. I must study my arms and armaments until I am able to create my own mace, sword, shield and plate armor pieces. I do not expect them to be the best items, but I must have the ability to create them none the less.

Have any of the senior members undergone training a prospective member in a similar way?
Re: New Squire Idea 06/11/2015 03:41 PM CDT
I like the concept behind this and think it would have been a really viable approach under the older forging system where what you could make was dependent, in part, on your skill with particular types of armor and weapons. With the new system, you just need proficiency in the forging skill, so it doesn't really translate to your combat ability.

I could still see you do something like this, where you use these items you make for some form of competition. Once you win a fight in that competition you have "proven" yourself. For example, train your polearms and shield and enter one of the jousts that happen every month or so. As a Paladin you should be training polearms anyway, as it is in out SOI and we get a reduced 2-handed penalty with it (not to mention it is the all-around best weapon template in my opinion).

Or train your mace/edged weapons and if you win a competition (one of the bi-weekly Ilithi Spars, for example) wearing your own armor and your own forged weapons, then you have proven yourself (this one might be a bit too difficult. however).

Or perhaps, just perhaps, some of the elder Paladins could put together a little Squire competition. Each takes-on a Squire and mentors them to a specified date. Then when this date rolls around each Squire competes with the others in a series of previously-determined competitions (e.g., joust, edged melee, blunt melee, open-melee, forging, etc.) and then prizes are earned based on the number of points. Ultimately it would be cool if we had a monthly competition where they could earn points throughout a season for a total at the end of the season and if they meet a certain threshold then they get "promoted" Anyhoo, just an idea to be fleshed-out.

--Just a Squire

Riveted to the metal is a small copper plaque depicting a shield crossed with a longsword overlaying a field of thirteen stars. Encircling the design are the words, "Many Faces - One God."
Re: New Squire Idea 06/11/2015 04:33 PM CDT

That is actually a little further than I am originally planning. My initial goal of the weapon and armor creation is to gain admittance to the Paladin Guild. I may adopt your idea as a continuation for my training.