Paladins and Hiding 07/29/2010 12:28 AM CDT
So, is hiding something I want to train as a Paladin? Does training hiding have an associated soul hit? Or is that only if I poach/ambush?
Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/29/2010 12:38 AM CDT
Unless something changed.

hiding is okay
poaching isn't

stalking is okay
advancing while hidden isn't
Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/29/2010 01:30 AM CDT
Hiding, itself, does not stain your soul. However, attacking, advancing, or retreating while hidden will tarnish it.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!
Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/29/2010 08:17 AM CDT
Training hiding is pretty painful as a paladin since you can't reset the hiding exp timer without soul hits. I'd say skip it.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/29/2010 09:11 AM CDT
Hiding is an easy skill to train. If you can work it into your normal combat routine, then do it. I train it while backtraining. If I were starting a new paladin, I would train hiding to level and keep it there.

Madigan
Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/29/2010 12:01 PM CDT
You will want to be very careful not to attack from hiding; That, I understand, does give a soul hit. Also, if you wear heavy plate, you can expect a 'clang' factor to make the said training a bit hard. But it can be done; I've known a few paladins who did it.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/29/2010 01:07 PM CDT
Okay, just wanted to verify that hiding itself didn't cause a soul hit. I think I'll work it into my training... Easy enough to do if I change out my Plate for leathers for that section.
Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/29/2010 01:19 PM CDT
<<Training hiding is pretty painful as a paladin since you can't reset the hiding exp timer without soul hits. I'd say skip it.

I think this is wrong. I lock both hiding and stalking easily.

Mistrust is our only defense against betrayal.
Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/29/2010 01:33 PM CDT
<<I think this is wrong. I lock both hiding and stalking easily.

Same here. Easiest skills to lock in combat IMO. Ironically enough, hiding is probably the most important skill in the game right now.

Madigan
Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/29/2010 02:28 PM CDT
<<I think this is wrong. I lock both hiding and stalking easily.>>

I've always had a problem with hiding (only around 140 ranks) since I have to wait for the timer every single time to expire. Perhaps I'm just impatient.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/29/2010 02:35 PM CDT
>>I've always had a problem with hiding (only around 140 ranks) since I have to wait for the timer every single time to expire. Perhaps I'm just impatient.

There is no timer now. It's on diminishing returns vs amount of critters.

So its like, Hide 5 times, kill the critter you're facing, and rinse/repeat.
Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/29/2010 05:51 PM CDT
Alternatively, go to an area with massive swarms, hide/unhide in rooms where other people are dancing with critters.
Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/29/2010 06:56 PM CDT
was this a change i swear before i left you couldnt even hide in combat without getting a soulhit
Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/29/2010 07:04 PM CDT
<<was this a change i swear before i left you couldnt even hide in combat without getting a soulhit

Hiding is fine. Other things, like advancing while hidden, are not.

Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/29/2010 11:02 PM CDT
I am training hiding right now and my soul is totally trashed. Will probably take me months to clear up.

One thing I found though, not sure if its a bug or not, you can still cast STRA.
Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/30/2010 07:15 AM CDT
All or most first tier spells and Analogous Spells can be cast with a shot soul.

Crusader Taghz

DFA = DISC + AGIL + TM > Evasion + Reflex

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.
Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/30/2010 07:42 AM CDT
I may be mistaken but I believe you also get a soul hit if something is advancing on you and you hide.

"My goal in M3.0 is to give Paladins a contested spell that forces a target into melee and allows neither of you to retreat nor hide.

-Z"
Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/30/2010 08:36 AM CDT
Hiding Against Mosters = fine
Advancing then hiding to learn stalking = Fine

Advancing from hiding EVER = soul hit
Hiding against a player(in combat) = soul hit
Ambushing/Poaching (monster or player) = Soul hit

To train - Advance on critter, Hide, unhide at melee, destroy, repeat on new critter. Its tert so it will lock very fast, just take metal armor off and or use a Shadow's rune as we don't have a hiding booster. That said, I don't bother because the primary strength of hiding lies in PvP, where we're both be wearing heavy armor and take soul hits.

Samsaren Remlane
Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/30/2010 09:08 AM CDT
<<Samsaren

Spot on. That is what I do. Very easy skill to train, so why not?

Madigan
Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/30/2010 09:41 AM CDT
I dont even bother training stalking besides what I get from Hunt. Closing in on 400 stalk now. Hiding is very easy to lock as a survival tertiary. Just follow the previous suggestions on how to manage that.

Magus Adakin of Prime
WorldsBestMagic Kastr of TF

>cast
Your body already swells with the enhanced strength of a hero.

"Killing Time Murders Opportunities."
Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/30/2010 10:06 AM CDT
I'm just happy I remember the various tricks and quirks after so many years gone. Amazing what the mind remembers I suppose

Samsaren Remlane
Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/30/2010 11:14 AM CDT
<<Spot on. That is what I do. Very easy skill to train, so why not?

I stalk after the hide succeeds.

Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/30/2010 01:17 PM CDT
Not to be that guy or anything, but it seems like learning stalking by advancing and then hiding to avoid the soul hit is mechanics abuse.

However, you can learn stalking by using hunt.

Question though, can you STALK things to learn stalking, or is that bad for the righteous and holy thing?
Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/30/2010 01:22 PM CDT
>Not to be that guy or anything, but it seems like learning stalking by advancing and then hiding to avoid the soul hit is mechanics abuse.

Yes, but when the bug is discussed freely on the board for years...

Speaking of Paladin bugs, how about how flee <nonexistant direction> doesn't give a soul hit?

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/30/2010 01:42 PM CDT
<<Speaking of Paladin bugs, how about how flee <nonexistant direction> doesn't give a soul hit?

never tried it, but will tonight.

Madigan
Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/30/2010 01:51 PM CDT
>flee up
A feeling of emptiness invades your soul.
You suddenly realize that you may be completely outclassed in this match. You turn tail to make your escape!

Thats a soul hit.. Save yourself the effort Madigan

Samsaren Remlane
I will defend to your death, your right, to my opinion.
Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/30/2010 02:12 PM CDT
30th circle paladin, in TF:

A celpeze just arrived!
R>
The asaren celpeze begins to advance on you!
The asaren celpeze is still a distance away from you and is closing steadily.
> flee lkad

You suddenly realize that you may be completely outclassed in this match. You turn tail to make your escape!
>

>describe boar
Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/30/2010 02:22 PM CDT
>flee bobshouse

TF thing maybe?

Samsaren Remlane
Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/30/2010 09:03 PM CDT
Looks like I got some soul hit. Im in TF.

You stall the asaren celpeze's advance!
>
Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/30/2010 09:49 PM CDT
iirc, the soul hits from flee were barely noticeable. Also, I recall it being a horrible way to learn escaping.

Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/31/2010 08:02 AM CDT
I would just wait until you can hunt dillo's to learn escaping. I've gone from 80 ranks to 225 in no time and still counting.

Magus Adakin of Prime
WorldsBestMagic Kastr of TF

>cast
Your body already swells with the enhanced strength of a hero.

"Killing Time Murders Opportunities."
Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/31/2010 08:37 AM CDT
>>I would just wait until you can hunt dillo's to learn escaping. I've gone from 80 ranks to 225 in no time and still counting.

Cleric not Paladin but same thing, went in with 40 ranks

Escaping: 317 97% rapt

Kartias are another option or Unyuns.
Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/31/2010 09:29 AM CDT
<<I am training hiding right now and my soul is totally trashed. Will probably take me months to clear up.

takes roughly 24-48 hours to clear up a totally trashed soul.

I killed like 12 times and if you have someone with a bleeder tithe and run around you should hit neutral fairly easily in 12 hours and pure by 30ish hours and by 48 easily to pristine. I'm considering poaching if i dont fall to the ground. At least to get to "at" level hiding.
Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/31/2010 09:53 AM CDT
<<I would just wait until you can hunt dillo's to learn escaping.

I won't be there for a while, but found the mud behind corik's wall works to about 100 by just walking around. The difference between that and unyns or kartais is you don't have to stance down to get hit with webs. I never goofed around with the angi's that eat you.

The mud in the ape area north of hib seems to have a higher starting point to learn from just walking around. Even with close to 100, I got mad rt and failures in there.

Is escaping planned to be wrapped up in the "adventuring" skill?

Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/31/2010 11:07 AM CDT
>Looks like I got some soul hit. Im in TF.

You didn't show what command you used.

>describe boar
Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/31/2010 11:37 AM CDT
Whats the entry ranks to jr dillos anyways? I assume they are Islands only too?

Samsaren Remlane
Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/31/2010 11:51 AM CDT
Safe side 550-600s.

Crusader Taghz

DFA = DISC + AGIL + TM > Evasion + Reflex

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.
Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/31/2010 12:02 PM CDT

> flee lkasdf

You stall the asaren celpeze's advance!
>
Re: Paladins and Hiding 07/31/2010 12:15 PM CDT
Maybe there is only a soul hit based on how you size up against the opponent.

So if someone at level runs from a celpeze, they get a soul hit. meanwhile, it may be totally reasonable (and thus not a soul hit) for a 30th circle paladin to flee from them.

although that does defeat the ability to really train escaping via FLEE.