Working on outfitting a new paladin 12/03/2008 04:45 PM CST
I was working on outfitting a new paladin and have read about training multiple armor strategy and to get half plate as soon as possible, etc.

My question is...

Is it better to train in leather and get evasion up to some target number before trying to go hunting in half plate?

Thanks.

~Faih, et al
Re: Working on outfitting a new paladin 12/03/2008 05:46 PM CST
I didn't bother working leather, but that's probably because I trained a ranger so long and got tired of it.

Here's what i wear regularly:

You are wearing some half plate, some chalky white bone gauntlets, a wolf-faced bone mask, some scale greaves and a timeworn steel shield edged with an intricate shesegri pattern.

currently it locks me up pretty easily in deadwood dryads, and has never posed a significant problem. When I feel like a change, I switch to LC, Cloth and LP.
Re: Working on outfitting a new paladin 12/05/2008 08:49 PM CST
If you decide to go with plate, keep a close eye on your combat status. Some areas that are easily survivable in plate by yourself quickly turn deadly when the gen rate spikes. Also, if you are serious about wanting to train evasion you'll want to bring either more armor so you can evade better or get evasion-boosting spells/abilities tossed your way from time to time. SOP is a great spell for this at the moment.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Working on outfitting a new paladin 12/05/2008 09:13 PM CST
>>SOP is a great spell for this at the moment.

Depending on how young the new paladin is, you may want to use Ease burden to reduce the burden from that armor too: That's what my wee paladins tend to notice most.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Working on outfitting a new paladin 12/06/2008 12:43 PM CST
Whats SOP? You mention its a spell paladins can use, but I dont seem to have it.
Re: Working on outfitting a new paladin 12/06/2008 01:05 PM CST
<<Depending on how young the new paladin is, you may want to use Ease burden to reduce the burden from that armor too: That's what my wee paladins tend to notice most.>>

Having a relatively young paladin myself as my main character, and having a heavy plate outfit as my primary armor set up, I will agree that Ease is an utterly fantastic spell. That combined with courage gives me little or no burden when hunting.

A huge kudos to the GM's for giving the realms Ease.

- Beau player of Froent, Dwarven Paladin
Re: Working on outfitting a new paladin 12/06/2008 01:27 PM CST
>>Whats SOP?

Soldier's Prayer. It's a relatively new spell, and so far I've seen mixed reviews on it.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

Re: Working on outfitting a new paladin 12/06/2008 01:47 PM CST
Ah, yea, thanks. Thought they said SOP instead of SDP.
Re: Working on outfitting a new paladin 12/06/2008 02:27 PM CST
That's probably what they meant. When I see SOP, I generally think of the Ranger/Empath spell, not the paladin.

Re: Working on outfitting a new paladin 12/06/2008 03:43 PM CST
No, I really did mean SOP.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Working on outfitting a new paladin 12/06/2008 08:16 PM CST
I went with Heavy Plate all the way at low circles. My evasion was non-existent, but it doesn't matter much at that point. In a swarm of eels, I could stand all day, get hit by every single attack, and not take a scratch. Wound up with 100 shield, and around 50 evasion up in blood wolves, and up to that point had never died hunting. Ever. That's with 5+ hour long hunting trips without leaving for healing. At low circles, good heavy plate really does make up for not being able to dodge.

Somewhere around blood wolves, I got my hinderance worked down to unhindered and starting learning evasion like crazy. It's about 30-40 behind my shield currently. Anyway, the point of the story is, don't avoid wearing heavy plate so you can evade at low circles. In heavy plate, it won't matter if you evade or not. It's better to try to work your hinderance down while you are fighting things weak enough where you will survive the hits. If you use leather until youur evasion is good, and then switch to Plate, you will be starting out at tougher critters with all that plate hinderance, when instead you could have already trained it off.
Re: Working on outfitting a new paladin 12/06/2008 08:34 PM CST
>Anyway, the point of the story is, don't avoid wearing heavy plate so you can evade at low circles. In heavy plate, it won't matter if you evade or not. It's better to try to work your hinderance down while you are fighting things weak enough where you will survive the hits. If you use leather until youur evasion is good, and then switch to Plate, you will be starting out at tougher critters with all that plate hinderance, when instead you could have already trained it off.

Out of curiosity, what stance did you use?
Re: Working on outfitting a new paladin 12/06/2008 09:09 PM CST
I stanced 100 shield, 1 parry, 80 evasion at low circles, then switched to 100 evasion, 1 parry 80+ shield once my armor hinderance was worked down.
Re: Working on outfitting a new paladin 12/09/2008 01:37 PM CST
I don't know how a Paladin would be casting SOP.

Just make sure you keep courage and anti-stun up as a youngin.
Re: Working on outfitting a new paladin 12/09/2008 04:16 PM CST
>>I don't know how a Paladin would be casting SOP.

It's one of them easter egg things. One of the easier ones, too.

Re: Working on outfitting a new paladin 12/09/2008 07:09 PM CST
Must be true.
Re: Working on outfitting a new paladin 12/09/2008 08:33 PM CST
>I don't know how a Paladin would be casting SOP.

>get elb rune
You get a colorful elbaite runestone from inside your suede haversack.
>focus rune
You focus your magical senses on a colorful elbaite runestone.
The elbaite runestone has a definite magical pattern, which is apparently a spell.
You recognize the pattern as a manifestation of Life magic.
It seems to involve Protection.
The pattern appears to be the Sphere of Protection spell.
There is a weak point in one of the lines of energy, which will hold for 3 more uses.
The lines are of moderate width, and they glare with brilliance.
Roundtime: 35 seconds.

Sphere of Protection scrolls are also sold on Ratha for 54240 lirum in Kalazashi's House of Majik on the third tier.
Re: Working on outfitting a new paladin 12/09/2008 08:37 PM CST
Yea, that works for somewhat skilled paladins. Can new ones use it? Either way, doesnt matter.
Re: Working on outfitting a new paladin 12/09/2008 09:17 PM CST
>>Sphere of Protection scrolls are also sold on Ratha for 54240 lirum in Kalazashi's House of Majik on the third tier.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Seal of Deflection?
Re: Working on outfitting a new paladin 12/10/2008 06:11 AM CST
>Are you sure you're not thinking of Seal of Deflection?

While it's possible that I'm illiterate, both are in fact sold there.

Thanks for questioning me without bothering to check yourself, though.

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Kalazashi%27s_House_of_Majik
Re: Working on outfitting a new paladin 12/10/2008 08:33 AM CST
>>Thanks for questioning me without bothering to check yourself, though.

You're posting a link to Elanthipedia, which is not really a confirmation. It would have to be a new addition if it is sold there, because it was definitely not sold before. That same page says Steelstar is sold there, and that spell no longer exists.
Re: Working on outfitting a new paladin 12/11/2008 02:14 PM CST
Yes, SOP is really sold at the Ratha magic shop, I buy it all the time.

* THE MORE YOU KNOW... *
Re: Working on outfitting a new paladin 12/11/2008 08:20 PM CST
Got me, might work for a newb paladin. Been too long since I tried to use one with small ranks. I'll give it a try with a newb cleric I have out on Ratha and see how it works.

Madigan

When soldiers have been baptized in the fire of a battle-field, they have all one rank in my eyes.
Napoleon Bonaparte
Re: Working on outfitting a new paladin 12/11/2008 10:59 PM CST
Life magic doesn't really play well with holy mana, but if you got a ranger or empath to cast it on you...
Re: Working on outfitting a new paladin 12/12/2008 08:21 AM CST
Well, that was a fail with my cleric (low 100's in magics). Not sure how a young paladin could use the runestone effectively. I did buy some so I'll hand out a few in Crossing and test with some new paladins.

Madigan

When soldiers have been baptized in the fire of a battle-field, they have all one rank in my eyes.
Napoleon Bonaparte
Re: Working on outfitting a new paladin 12/15/2008 03:43 PM CST
I doubt a new paladin would have the scholarship necessary to invoke the scroll, but using SOP as a holy user is very viable. I recommend anyone who hasnt' fooled around with spell scrolls give it a try.

"militantly enforcing the overly rigid standards of you and your small collection of friends"