TFPaladin (Or Similarly Qualifed Person) 08/25/2008 04:50 PM CDT
1. Do you still play your prime Paladin, and how is that going?
2. Do you notice your armor coming into play at the higher tiers?

I have come to a crossroads of sorts.
I have both an MM and my Paladin that hunt in the Morah/Marauder Range.
I definitely notice the difference in being hit in plate with my Paladin versus being hit in Light Chain with my MM.

Paladin:
Heavy Plate: 106
Shield: 116
Evasion: 72
Parry: 87
Best Weapon: 82
Target: 65

MM:
Light Chain: 80
Shield: 115
Evasion: 117
Parry: 98
Best Weapon: 109
Target: 142

So lets say in a few creature ladder steps up will the plate reduction still be as valuable? Both melee fighters.

Ackfer - Halfling in a Can, No Fillers Here!
Re: TFPaladin (Or Similarly Qualifed Person) 08/25/2008 06:26 PM CDT
>So lets say in a few creature ladder steps up will the plate reduction still be as valuable? Both melee fighters.

The extra absorbtion reduced damage by a %, so it is always useful. To a degree the difference does become less and less though, because at some point you're still dying in a single shot most of the time.
Re: TFPaladin (Or Similarly Qualifed Person) 08/25/2008 06:34 PM CDT
<<because at some point you're still dying in a single shot most of the time>>
If you had to a hazard a best estimate as to which creature (or skill range) it begins at?

Re: TFPaladin (Or Similarly Qualifed Person) 08/25/2008 06:46 PM CDT
>>If you had to a hazard a best estimate as to which creature (or skill range) it begins at?

I think 1 shots begin heavily in Celps. I get open rolls in Bristles and it hurts but it's not life threatening
Re: TFPaladin (Or Similarly Qualifed Person) 08/25/2008 07:22 PM CDT
>If you had to a hazard a best estimate as to which creature (or skill range) it begins at?

Depends, somewhere around caracals are where they first have the potential to become fatal, although it is extremely rare. By raiders I saw it often... it was the only way I died aside from getting dropped from the game. By the time I got to celpeze it was the only way I died, period.
Re: TFPaladin (Or Similarly Qualifed Person) 08/25/2008 09:08 PM CDT
I would echo the celpeze comment.

Up to raiders, I haven't had any problems.

-Landros
Re: TFPaladin (Or Similarly Qualifed Person) 08/25/2008 09:17 PM CDT
I quit playning my prime paladin, I guess it was just a kick for a couple weeks. Perhaps ill play him again eventually. My personal preference would be to stick with the hp, you are getting hit because you cant dodge or block the blows, its no problem really, just get healed.

For point 2, I think having the hp does help, just a bit. I believe that I am getting some hits in elders that would kill me if I was using lc or something else.

THanks
Re: TFPaladin (Or Similarly Qualifed Person) 08/25/2008 09:19 PM CDT
<<I would echo the celpeze comment.>>
Well, looks like I have a long way to go before I run into that problem then. Lot of time for change by then. Plus this new AP spell may be my ticket.

Thanks for all your input guys. Basically just waffling on which suite of abilities I like/what I have more fun with. So I like the damage muffling of Armor which factors in but if it disappears later it is one less thing.

Either way, still committed to my Paladin.

Re: TFPaladin (Or Similarly Qualifed Person) 08/25/2008 09:21 PM CDT
<<I believe that I am getting some hits in elders that would kill me if I was using lc or something else.>>
Ahh, very good information. But gone are the days of brushing, harmless?

Re: TFPaladin (Or Similarly Qualifed Person) 08/25/2008 09:23 PM CDT
>Plus this new AP spell may be my ticket.

Going by the description, this seems unlikely. But don't let that discourage you! You're right, but the time you're in celpeze it might be fixed.
Re: TFPaladin (Or Similarly Qualifed Person) 08/26/2008 10:52 AM CDT
Your MM should do well with CoL and Seer's. As far as Paladins go, I'm hoping hoping hoping that one of the new spells we're getting is going to be a damage reducer (preferably focusing on the areas where HP is weak, i.e. impact and electric/cold/fire), but if not then I'll be happy with Manifest Force.

~Thilan
Re: TFPaladin (Or Similarly Qualifed Person) 08/27/2008 10:53 AM CDT
<<Your MM should do well with CoL and Seer's>>
Well most of my internal debate was in the long run who I would have more fun with doing melee. Well solved my problem, converted my MM to Range user.

Composite Bow: 4 :)

Anyways I appreciate everyones feedback.

Re: TFPaladin (Or Similarly Qualifed Person) 08/27/2008 11:19 AM CDT
>>Well most of my internal debate was in the long run who I would have more fun with doing melee. Well solved my problem, converted my MM to Range user.

Oh no doubt, if I did a MM I'd go TM & ranged + stealth, although I'd personally go either SB or LT b/c I'd focus more on agility/reflex than strength/stamina since MMs have no real SvS spells (discounting Whole Displacement) and TM uses agility/discipline.

For my Pally I've finally settled on 2HE, HB, HX and brawling, although I'm looking forward to seeing what TM spells they've cooked up to see if it's worth replacing HX. ;)

~Thilan
Re: TFPaladin (Or Similarly Qualifed Person) 08/27/2008 11:49 AM CDT
<<Oh no doubt, if I did a MM I'd go TM & ranged + stealth>>
His Stealth blows so that will need some more.

<<I'd personally go either SB or LT b/c I'd focus more on agility/reflex >>
Composite Bow is geared towards Strength/Stamina? He has 78 ranks in LT, 45 ranks in LX and 33 ranks in Short Bow. He also has 33 strength which means maybe I should stick with Comp Bow.

<<For my Pally I've finally settled on 2HE, HB, HX and brawling>>
My pally has started working on his brawling once I found out his hands are blessed. :)
I absolutely hate long RTs, and at the cost of TDPS for halflings strength I would rather invest elsewhere then to use 2HE.

Re: TFPaladin (Or Similarly Qualifed Person) 08/27/2008 12:28 PM CDT
I still get the 6 sec rt for the most part with 2he, but even with long rt, with a good forged weapon, 2he is brutal.
Re: TFPaladin (Or Similarly Qualifed Person) 08/27/2008 12:50 PM CDT
<<2he is brutal>>
Agreed. With a non forged Ivory hilted Claymore, I can drop a morah vine in 2 to 3 hits. Usually two. With my HE Spatha, 2 to 3 hits as well, lean more towards 3.
HE: 109
2HE: 68

Re: TFPaladin (Or Similarly Qualifed Person) 08/27/2008 03:42 PM CDT
With a lower strength, most store bought 2he's are gonna be kinda heavy, and i would guess slightly fatigueing. If you get a light forged Bastie, somewhere in the 28 stone neighborhood, you'll still kill things quickly, probably still have max round-time, but burden and fatigue won't be any trouble at all.
Re: TFPaladin (Or Similarly Qualifed Person) 08/27/2008 04:02 PM CDT
Maybe a HE/2HE swappable axe will be less tacky. I just can't see my 4ft Halfling whirling a 6ft blade around. :)

Re: TFPaladin (Or Similarly Qualifed Person) 08/28/2008 07:18 AM CDT
For a point of reference, I started up a new paladin in Plat recently. At 14 strength and 17 stamina at 1st circle I was having no issues with fatigue with a 48 stone bastard sword in either HE or 2HE.
Re: TFPaladin (Or Similarly Qualifed Person) 09/18/2008 05:44 PM CDT
I am making a new paladin right now in tf. Got sort of bored and discouraged with Worril. Working some Lores and survivals for now until I figure out what weapons I want to use.

Leaning towards HE, LT and HX. HX only because I have a 10 bolt repeater I want to make use of somewhere.

Going with halfling this time to see if a bit more agility and reflex will work.
Re: TFPaladin (Or Similarly Qualifed Person) 09/18/2008 06:04 PM CDT
I guess you will be my ultimate test. Being a Halfling as well. Don't you have pretty close to maxed stats anyhoo? Is that pretty much the difference is the maxing of agil/ref?

Re: TFPaladin (Or Similarly Qualifed Person) 09/18/2008 06:24 PM CDT
>Don't you have pretty close to maxed stats anyhoo?

No one in TF is really close to maxed stats yet. At least a few more years for that would be my guess. I know I'm doing my best to catch up.

Some people have a few stats maxed (I have 4), or a decent amount in every stat, but 16 9s remains elusive.
Re: TFPaladin (Or Similarly Qualifed Person) 09/18/2008 06:24 PM CDT
With my primary guy Worril I went dwarf and trained TDP's accordingly to what was easiest, so I have 93 disc and 98 stamina, and 2 that were expensive 70 strength, I think like 75 reflex. I made the mistake of thinking that forging would be a long term thing I could have fun with is the reason for the 70 strength. Its fun to have it, but really could have been fine with 30-40. Reflex I trained up to 75 because I had to really. I dont have close to maxed stats with Worril, but I have well trained stats, so nothing is really lagging behind.

This time around as a halfling, if I stick with it, my plan is to max out stamina around 50-60 max, strength at 30-40 max and work on agility and reflex mostly. Mentals will come as they need.

Thanks
Re: TFPaladin (Or Similarly Qualifed Person) 09/18/2008 06:46 PM CDT
Really? Cap strength at 40? I was about to push a Tog character of mines strength to 50, but thats a waste? What was the fun parts about 70 strength?

Re: TFPaladin (Or Similarly Qualifed Person) 09/18/2008 06:56 PM CDT
Its fun to be able to take a really heavy weapon and do quite a bit of damage with it. My strength is effective 90 with HES. Do what is fun for you though. Im just saying, with this new guy, im not going to go the route I went before and I want a change of pace.

Thanks