Dark Paladin 04/18/2007 10:52 PM CDT
I rolled up a Paladin last weekend and I believe I want to play him as devoted to one of the dark gods, Urrem'tier or Aldauth. I want to hide and stalk, and want to not really care about my soul state. My primary question is, does soul state effect more than just ability to lead and glyph? Can I effectively play a paladin w/ a shot soul state?

Axillus - Halfling Warrior Mage - among others, now
>You charge your steel-toed footwrap at a musk hog.
Re: Dark Paladin 04/18/2007 11:04 PM CDT
If you ever want to circle you will have to get your soulstate up a bit, which should be easier because soulstate now has a bottom end to it. Among other things you lose are spells, SMITE, blessed brawling strikes, and just about everything else I can think of.

So no, you can't "effectively" play a paladin with a shot soul state.. think trader with heavy plate. And remember if you do go this route, you can't have any stealing ranks if you want to circle. If stealing climbs above 0%, you have to go repent.

As for hiding and stalking, they can be trained without a soul hit via hiding in and stalking through hunting areas. Ambushing or advancing hidden will cost you.

~Caneghem Urathi
Re: Dark Paladin 04/18/2007 11:12 PM CDT
Hmm, that's a real shame. I'd really like to see Dark Paladins (classic Anti-Paladin) have different, comparable abilities to the goody-two-shoes (no offense). I mean, a paladin's just supposed to be a Warrior with the favor of a certain diety, right? So it would stand that a mean/evil diety would have mean/evil followers. Hmm. I'm awfully tired, not making much sense. Perhaps I'll try again tomorrow.

Axillus - Halfling Warrior Mage
Re: Dark Paladin 04/19/2007 07:34 AM CDT
You can hide and stalk and do all the nasty stuff...just don't steal and always do stuff that would raise your soul. Just avoid going through soul stone arches and using soul stones/Jewelery..Avoid showing your soul state to people. However, even the bad gods must like you too if your soul is in good state.

To get any glyphs or cast spells you will need a simple soul level.

Crusader Taghz

Yes, there are to many Woodie goodies out there. Good luck if you try to go darker path.

Global warming is caused by politicians, who cant stop spewing hot air.
Re: Dark Paladin 04/19/2007 08:54 AM CDT
<<I mean, a paladin's just supposed to be a Warrior with the favor of a certain diety, right?>>

The Guild has a Code. It is in Paladins A-Z, which effectively answers this question. Now, whether you follow the Code or not is up to you and your RP style.

Good luck.

Madigan
Re: Dark Paladin 04/19/2007 12:04 PM CDT
I've been wanting to make an Anti-Paladin forever as well.

I'm thinking, or perhaps hoping, that the upcoming faith system will allow a greater versatility for Paladin roleplay and still allow progress in the game.
Re: Dark Paladin 04/19/2007 12:56 PM CDT
>I'm thinking, or perhaps hoping, that the upcoming faith system will allow a greater versatility for Paladin roleplay and still allow progress in the game.

Perhaps instead of thinking and hoping, those who are interesting in playing an anti-Paladin can start lobbying? I think the foil of a Paladin has tremendous potential and relevance in DR. Wasn't there a Dwarven Paladin that was a follower of Asketi, that was running around killing people? Or was that a Cleric?

I could see there being a guild, maybe in Muspar'i, where there's a dark paladin guild, headed up by a S'Kra follower of Urrem'tier. I would really really love this.

Re: Dark Paladin 04/19/2007 01:00 PM CDT
>>Perhaps instead of thinking and hoping, those who are interesting in playing an anti-Paladin can start lobbying?

Nehros was kind enough to post an outline of the Faith system that he's currently working on. The last thing that will help is constantly asking if it's done yet.

>>Wasn't there a Dwarven Paladin that was a follower of Asketi, that was running around killing people? Or was that a Cleric?

Valtusk was a Cleric.

~Thilan
Re: Dark Paladin 04/19/2007 01:16 PM CDT
>Nehros was kind enough to post an outline of the Faith system that he's currently working on. The last thing that will help is constantly asking if it's done yet.

I'm not talking about badgering anyone, I'm talking about sharing new ideas amongst ourselves and giving suggestions to the Team. Is it at a point in development where it's closed, or can there be a bit flex/adding of new things in? By the way, where can I find this outline?

Re: Dark Paladin 04/19/2007 01:36 PM CDT
Lobbying won't work. I believe they said there is no plans for dark paladins to be developed. Though I wish this wasn't so myself, the truth can hurt. There should be a bunch of old posts about this and there were some pretty heated debates as to thier existence somewhere in this folder.

Player of Adakin Sothir

>prep sdg
You being chanting a prayer to invoke the Slow Down Greatly spell and your mind wanders slightly to remember what Halt used to be like.

"Killing Time Murders Opportunities."
Re: Dark Paladin 04/19/2007 02:42 PM CDT
>>By the way, where can I find this outline?

Believe it's the most recent post in the GM announcements folder.

~Thilan
Re: Dark Paladin 04/19/2007 05:23 PM CDT
<<I'm thinking, or perhaps hoping, that the upcoming faith system will allow a greater versatility for Paladin roleplay and still allow progress in the game.>>

Actually, alot of paladins I encounter typically play some form of "dark" paladin. I can't remember the last paladin I encountered that even knew the guild had a Code (talking about younger paladins).

So, playing a dark paladin is not only doable, it is done often (at least within the confines of the current soul system). I recommend you look up Baelor if you want a taste of the "dark side".

IMO the harder RP for a paladin is to actually follow the Code. Now, that will put you in some ackward situations....and those are what make RP fun and adds some spice to the "fei, draw, sweep, smite, chop" routine.

Good luck.

Madigan
Re: Dark Paladin 04/19/2007 06:53 PM CDT
>>So, playing a dark paladin is not only doable, it is done often (at least within the confines of the current soul system). I recommend you look up Baelor if you want a taste of the "dark side".

So he does not use Glyphs, Smite, Lead, and he will abstain from the upcoming Auras too, huh?

I don't mean 'Pretend I'm a Dark Paladin and still tend people's wounds to gain soul state between roleplay.' I mean an actual Dark Paladin. This would first require an overhaul of the soul state level a la Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. In other words, there is no 'bad' soul, there is only light, dark, and neutral. If you're an evil Paladin than having a black soul state would be desirable: not because your commitment to your god is lackluster (that would be represented by neutral soul state) but because your evil god enjoys it when you do evil things.

Not only would this require a soul system rewrite but also the introduction of various ways to gain 'evil' devotion, probably changing archways/soul stones/holy icons or holy weapons, and the 'pristine soul' brawling bonus to include those on the opposite end of the spectrum, too.

Of course I'm not claiming I am entitled to these things. How Paladins are handled is up to Team Paladin and to some extent the long-time Paladin players. If someone wants to roleplay a Dark Paladin and deal with the consequences than more power to them. However, I would not consider anything the system can currently handle a Dark or Anti-Paladin so much as a Fallen Paladin who is having an identity crisis.

Paladins are a terrific guild but they are also one of the guilds with fewer members. As evidenced here there is a fairly sizable group of non-Paladin players interested in playing Paladins in ways the system does not (currently) support.
Re: Dark Paladin 04/19/2007 06:57 PM CDT
Oh, forgot to also mention that real Darkadins would also require the introduction of a morally ambiguous and self-righteous guild leader who would allow them to circle.
Re: Dark Paladin 04/19/2007 08:44 PM CDT
A thing to consider...

Paladins revere all gods, and thier aspects. We (used in the sense of guild literature and whatnot), tend to follow Chadatru and Rutilor, yet we still honor all gods. Individual paladins can chose a more focused faith on another diety or aspect, but the key thing, that the Code shows rather nicely, is we are more drawing our powers from all the gods, not just one.

Personally, I'm all for someone who, in that kinda setup, can be more oriented to a darker aspect, and yet still manage to avoid becomming a dork about it. Some of the most sinister and evil people can come across as the nicest and most honest.

Samsaren
Re: Dark Paladin 04/19/2007 09:04 PM CDT
>>Paladins revere all gods, and thier aspects. We (used in the sense of guild literature and whatnot), tend to follow Chadatru and Rutilor, yet we still honor all gods. Individual paladins can chose a more focused faith on another diety or aspect, but the key thing, that the Code shows rather nicely, is we are more drawing our powers from all the gods, not just one.

See? This is my point exactly.

I know how DR lore defines Paladins. That's why I am saying it really is impossible to play a "Dark Paladin" within the current context of Dragonrealms mechanics, lore, and GameMaster orientation. Well, allow me to elaborate: it is impossible to play an evil Paladin without losing stuff that's kinda nice... like, say, the ability to circle.

>>Some of the most sinister and evil people can come across as the nicest and most honest.

I don't want to be honest. I want to be self-righteous and vindictive. It's roleplay. Evil or self-absorbed antagonists create conflict, which is the driving force of most stories.

Paladins are the only guild IG that are limited in this respect. I'm not suggesting the whole guild become dark; code-bound Paladins already have a lot of great development. I enjoy playing an evil Cleric, but Clerics are mages. I love combat in DR so front-line fighters like Barbs and Pallies are my specialty. I think it's hard to deny the appeal of a Paladin in blood-soaked armor using SMITE against an innocent victim and his chosen god, say Trothfang, approving.
Re: Dark Paladin 04/19/2007 09:52 PM CDT
Guys, I'm enjoying this thread but how about if we move it over to a more appropriate folder.

Thanks!

~Maece

"LIFE EXPECTANCY: REGULAR OR EXTRA-CRISPY?"

Feast, 2005
Re: Dark Paladin 04/19/2007 11:13 PM CDT
>>I don't want to be honest. I want to be self-righteous and vindictive.

While I still prefer to play Redarch as "the hero in shining armor riding to the rescue", I can certainly see how it would be both possible and FITTING to have a very snobbish, supercilious, self-righteous, and even vindictive Paladin who is so CERTAIN of his moral authority having been BORN to be a knight and leader of the "little people", that he sees nothing wrong with administering "discipline" to his subjects (he sees EVERYONE who's not a paladin as his "subjects" whether they think that way or not).

And I agree that such a person would be almost impossible to portray with the way things are currently set up mechanically regarding soul. Whether it should be allowed is something only the GMs or P-Team can decide, but I can certainly see such a character being a Paladin. Not one that Redarch would be friendly with, but still, I can see them being a fully functioning paladin because of their own over-whelming certainty in their own "moral superiority".

Redarch
Dwarf with an Axe.. Watch your toes!
Re: Dark Paladin 04/20/2007 01:22 AM CDT
*I rolled up a Paladin last weekend and I believe I want to play him as devoted to one of the dark gods, Urrem'tier or Aldauth. I want to hide and stalk, and want to not really care about my soul state. My primary question is, does soul state effect more than just ability to lead and glyph? Can I effectively play a paladin w/ a shot soul state?

Axillus - Halfling Warrior Mage - among others, now

I have been able to fairly move my way through the guild with following a different sort of Credo than the rest of the Paladins.

Modified version of the code to fit a paladin of Aldauth(thats the path I chose)

You twist and warp the code to mean how you want it to mean.

A Paladin supports and defends Good and opposes Evil. (Good and Evil are a point of view)

A Paladin is a Leader in righteous combat.(Definately)

When it is necessary to fight, the Paladin will seek to guide and inspire his comrades, taking a forward position in the battle and facing the foe boldly. A Paladin does not hide from his foe or sneak about.(I never hide or sneak about)

A Paladin is a Protector. (You choose what to protect wisely)

He will seek to prevent harm to the innocent and will place himself at risk in order to accomplish this if need be.(Innocent is a relative term)

A Paladin is Just and works to promote and enforce Justice and the Law.(Law first and foremost, Justice second and your form of justice may differ from others)

If a Paladin does not agree with a law, he must still respect it and should work to change it rather than disregarding it. The only exception to this is if the Paladin believes the law to be truly Evil. In this instance, the Paladin must follow the dictates of his conscience. (Amen)

A Paladin is Honest.(Always tell the truth I agree, even if it hurts someones feelings, no maam I shant kiss you, for thine are ugly)

He will not lie or otherwise seek to deceive a person. A Paladin does not cheat or seek to take unfair advantage in his dealings with others.(Never do that)

A Paladin is Loyal.(Always but your loyalty should be well placed)

He does not betray his god(never), his liege-lord(don't have one), his guild(never), his family(dont have any), or his friends(few and far between).

A Paladin is Holy(I shine with the best of em).

He seeks to do that which pleases his god in all manners of the Code, and knows that the purity of his soul has a profound impact on the abilities the gods bless him with.(amen)

While it is not required that a Paladin worships Chadatru or Rutilor above other gods, he ignores the wishes of the God of Justice at his peril. Serving another god or gods is possible for a Paladin provided that the path that he follows does not work against Good or Justice. It is not appropriate for a Paladin to work toward the ends of a dark aspect since the goals of such are not in keeping with what is Good and Just. (Some are just not fit to carry out the will of a stronger god, while they have thier place in the guild it is our job to foster out those known to do evil but the guys that like to shine in thier armor won't act on because they have not been "Caught" or "Proof" of thier deeds are made).

Death comes to us all sooner or later. It is neither Good nor Evil.

Lets take a look at the Spartan way of life and death. Tossing babies off cliffs if they weren't perfect sounds evil yeah? Well not in thier culture. Think hard on some sort of culture or way of life your character came from and base that on your belief system, then base the code off of that.

The only part you might have a problem with is the last part of the code. I generally gear my paladin towards fighting undead, necro, abysmal type creatures, demon type things (which I am unsure what category you would call them because demons are not suppose to exist)

He finds cowards offensive and will treat them sub par to a sentient being (exceptions: children and women)
He finds thieves offensive and will meetle out justice any way he sees fit (you steal you loose a hand)
He is very easily insulted and demands respect, respect not given bad things happen. (think samuari culture portrayed in the movies)

Now while alot of these ideals sound silly they do make for some quite interesting roleplay. I think the majority of people that interact with me enjoy it. Those that don't know what they need to do to avoid me.

Now items of note to help you get around mechanics since the game is not set up to accept this philosopy is:

Pilgrims badge (Pray badge gains soulstate)every 20-30 mins
Almsbox se of the bank (put 5 silver kronar in almsbox gains soulstate)
Tend a non paladin wounds (gains soulstate)

those three are enough to get me by to get my soul state up to what I need it in realitively timely fashion.

Always make sure you have consent when you engage in combat with someone either by way of whispers, thier actions giving you consent, or them threatening you.
Re: Dark Paladin 04/24/2007 11:55 AM CDT
Kewl, the "Light / Dark / Beige / Plaid "paladins"" thread is right on schedule, every 6 months or so...

It is typically followed by the "murder isn't murder in some proto-Polynesian culture I read about in high school", or the "a movie I saw showed paladins eating babies so why can't I?" thread...

Many chuckles...

Cheers - a reasonable facsimile of "Tristtan"
Re: Dark Paladin 11/26/2007 01:10 PM CST
I have played in several on-line and pen-and-paper role playing games (yes, I'm old!) and the concept/arguement/discussion of Dark- or Anti-Paladins always seems to come up. Here's is what always seems to come out in these discussions: Someone wants to take the rules as they are and twist them to make themselves an uber-character. MOST (no, not all) people who strive to change established rules (like race/guild/magic/etc.) are doing so that they may make themselves the "invincible" character. Being predominately a Paladin player, I shudder evertime this discussion begins again. A Paladin is a Holy Warrior for their god, and while the Dark gods do exist and certainly would have their own versions of Paladins perhaps, these characters would be monsters, foes, in short NPCs (I think they are called GNPCs here). I am NOT bashing anyone who wishes to play one of these characters, just suggesting that such a wish may not be one that should be pursued for play- and concept- balance. A character should have a background and THEN decide stats/race/etc, not "Roll the BEST I can be and then decide on background based on what I want"

Off my soap-box now. Let the shuddering begin.

Gothak Glimbeard
"May Chadatru grant you justice, may Everild favor you in battle, and may Truffenyi protect your soul."
Re: Dark Paladin 11/27/2007 01:28 AM CST
>>I have played in several on-line and pen-and-paper role playing games (yes, I'm old!) and the concept/arguement/discussion of Dark- or Anti-Paladins always seems to come up. Here's is what always seems to come out in these discussions: Someone wants to take the rules as they are and twist them to make themselves an uber-character. MOST (no, not all) people who strive to change established rules (like race/guild/magic/etc.) are doing so that they may make themselves the "invincible" character. Being predominately a Paladin player, I shudder evertime this discussion begins again. A Paladin is a Holy Warrior for their god, and while the Dark gods do exist and certainly would have their own versions of Paladins perhaps, these characters would be monsters, foes, in short NPCs (I think they are called GNPCs here). I am NOT bashing anyone who wishes to play one of these characters, just suggesting that such a wish may not be one that should be pursued for play- and concept- balance. A character should have a background and THEN decide stats/race/etc, not "Roll the BEST I can be and then decide on background based on what I want"

I'm sorry, you lost me completely.

I've played several games, both on the computer and pen-and-paper, that included Dark and Anti-Paladin classes that were perfectly balanced. A Dark Paladin would still be a member of the Paladin guild, and still have the same level of power as any standard Paladin player.

Personally, the reason I am a vocal proponent for Dark Paladins is because I love Paladins as a guild (spells, abilities, circle reqs, etc.) but have no interest in playing one for a couple reasons. First, I don't like the restrictions of the soul system. Secondly, I don't like the narrowness of potential roleplay as a Paladin character. If I want to play a Paladin, currently, I must be a crusading hero for truth and justice. This is hyperbole; there is SOME option available, but the Paladin guild is currently the only guild IG with moral restrictions.

Many guilds actually have systems supporting 'evil' or power-hungry viewpoints (e.g., Blackfire sorcery and Warrior Mages, Teleological Sorcery and Moon Mages, the alignment system used by Clerics). I can play an honorable Thief if I so wish. I can play a sadistic and cruel Barbarian. Heck, I can even be an "evil" Empath that has no interest in healing others.

So yeah. I'm not sure what you're talking about in regards to the want of an 'invincible' character. Everyone who wants a super-l33t character is already a Thief (you can't see me so I should be invincible!) or a Warrior Mage (we are warriors AND mages so we should be just as good as barbs at melee and just as good at magic as moonies!). I would settle for a revision of the soul system to allow evil deeds to power stuff like SMITE and a morally-ambiguous guild leader who allowed you to circle regardless of your soul state.

If current Paladin players aren't interested that's fine. I just think the guild could stand to benefit from the introduction of evil Pallies because A) you'd have some very interesting internal guild conflict rich with RP and B) Paladins would probably capture a much larger portion of the DR player-base.
Re: Dark Paladin 11/27/2007 06:14 AM CST
There are a few of us out there....Dunno why I am still allowed in the guild but whatever...

Crusader Taghz

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.
Re: Dark Paladin 11/27/2007 07:52 AM CST
<<If I want to play a Paladin, currently, I must be a crusading hero for truth and justice. This is hyperbole; there is SOME option available, but the Paladin guild is currently the only guild IG with moral restrictions.>>

Hard to argue that point. There are a few that work around the system, and I applaud them for their RP and tenacity. I personally like the restrictions. I do wish, however, that some leeway and/or consideration was given to the restrictions when the "fantasy pie" is cut. In my personal, and very biased opinion, the restrictions should allow for greater "abilities, spells, fill in the blank fantasy umph".

Madigan

True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.

Arthur Ashe
Re: Dark Paladin 11/27/2007 08:47 AM CST
Firstly you have to define what constitutes light and dark in DR. I don't personally feel that skulking in the shadows and backstabbing someone is either heroic or fantastic. However, in DR excelling in these traits is considered to make you a master of combat... for some reason... Also, charging courageously into combat and being one-shot-killed isn't terribly heroic either is it? So there are varying degrees of light and dark that need to be defined. Personally I'd think that there would be an outcast sect of paladins that have not so much "fallen" into evil and now trade recipes for 'human baby and fava bean pies' but rather those paladins that have chosen to favour a dark aspect and act accordingly. Realistically though before creating a whole new sect that openly worships Asketi and storms into towns once a year riding black unicorns I agree that the existing guild should get some "holy teeth" in their abilities. Core magic considerations are fine, and the usual nonsensical, disruptive GvG idiocy always seems to derail any attempts at making the guild more intersting and powerful, but paladin magic and abilities need work to offset the moral imperatives that define the guild currently. I understand that some of this work is ongoing in various forms.

Cheers - Tristtan
Re: Dark Paladin 11/27/2007 01:07 PM CST
>>Hard to argue that point. There are a few that work around the system, and I applaud them for their RP and tenacity. I personally like the restrictions. I do wish, however, that some leeway and/or consideration was given to the restrictions when the "fantasy pie" is cut. In my personal, and very biased opinion, the restrictions should allow for greater "abilities, spells, fill in the blank fantasy umph".

Yes. Major props to Dark Paladin rpers, but after a Gnome Barbarian and a Tog Moon Mage I am sort of finished with the whole 'trying out difficult characters' thing.

There has been some ongoing discussion in the Ranger folder about how their ridiculous circle reqs should justify more powerful abilities. In the same way, I don't think it likely that the restrictions of the soul system could be used to "justify" powerful abilities. However, I don't think Paladins need justification for getting some new, shiny, powerful spells.

>>Firstly you have to define what constitutes light and dark in DR. I don't personally feel that skulking in the shadows and backstabbing someone is either heroic or fantastic. However, in DR excelling in these traits is considered to make you a master of combat... for some reason... Also, charging courageously into combat and being one-shot-killed isn't terribly heroic either is it?

I can agree with you, to a point. However, any Paladin I made would still fall to their knees crying, as per mechanics, after killing someone. Attacking with a first strike from hiding would still net me a big fat soul hit. I'm sure some appreciate the mechanics, as they give the guild an unusual system, but I think for a majority of players who might play Paladins it's a big turn-off.

I think a few new spells should come first, but the day I can gain evil soul is pretty much the day my rotating cast of secondary/tertiary character slots is permanently replaced with a Paladin.
Re: Dark Paladin 11/28/2007 07:33 AM CST
>I think a few new spells should come first,

That's my take on it as well, and why I don't think it would be worth the effort until existing abilites and skills are fleshed out. It would require a completely opposing set of mechanics, abilities and spells. The Asketi worshipper, for example, would gain soul for a PvP kill and fall to her knees crying for casting AG or courage on anyone but themselves. They would still be the militant hand of their chosen deity but their skills and penalties would be based more closely on the deity they worship. I think that this concept, skills and abilities focused on a chosen deity, has merit in a general sense for paladins, but I'd rather see development "points" going into current projects :)

Cheers - Tristtan
Re: Dark Paladin 11/28/2007 04:48 PM CST
>>It would require a completely opposing set of mechanics, abilities and spells. The Asketi worshipper, for example, would gain soul for a PvP kill and fall to her knees crying for casting AG or courage on anyone but themselves.

I am very much against coding a reverse soul system for Dark Paladins that prohibits stuff like group-cast Courage. Whose to say your buddies aren't evil too and about to embark on a ravaging adventure full of mischief and woe with you?

The idea, in my head, was to get away from the restrictions of the soul system. So, to my way of thinking, new spells are still more important, but it would be much less code-intensive than what you're imagining. The only three things I would think necessary are A) a new guild leader, B) a revised soul state system and, and C) (though this is optional) fluffy messaging for a couple Paladin spells depending on your alignment.
Re: Dark Paladin 11/28/2007 05:00 PM CST
IMO, the last thing we need are new spells. It already takes intensive mana and time to spell up for anything serious.

I recommend working on some core issues:

1. Auto-retreat.
2. Damage calcs.
3. Armor scaling.
4. Faiths.
5. Expansion of protect ability.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Madigan

True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.

Arthur Ashe
Re: Dark Paladin 11/28/2007 06:10 PM CST
An interesting topic and a good read so far. I only have limited knowledge of paladins as I've never played one for very long. However, I do like the idea of the fallen paladin or anti paladin or however you prefer to call it. However, even with my limited knowledge I've got a couple ideas that I think might be beneficial to all sides of the conversation.

An update to the favor system to include the aspects of the 13 primary deities would allow a person who wanted to become a fallen paladin to gain favor with Botolf for example. Also with the idea to updating the favor system like this is, when you gain a favor, the game also counts what deity or deities you have favor with and if the majority of your favors are with Botolf for this example, then your character's soul state would be "evil".

Also, open the soul state or make an alternative soul state system for every guild, or even perhaps SET Alignment..something that would then allow Good biased paladins to attack "evil" PC's (when provoked of course) without "falling to their knees and crying" when they Smite them down for their evil ways, and the same goes for the Evil biased paladins who attack a good aligned character. I realize that good and evil isn't really something you just toggle and maybe that's a flaw with the idea, but as an option it is something that might appeal to alot of people and if you don't choose an option then you remain neutral until you decide to choose a side I guess. Nothing just forced upon characters that don't want to participate.

Blackguard Danoryiel Shadowsboon of House Shadowsboon
Re: Dark Paladin 11/29/2007 05:51 PM CST
>>IMO, the last thing we need are new spells. It already takes intensive mana and time to spell up for anything serious.

Totally agree with this. We need to BREAK this paradigm of "fantasic things can only happen with spells". We should be able to do "fantasy" things using OTHER methods besides spells. Spells are NOT our guild's forte and shouldn't be.

Do fantasy things based on our soul or our "aura" or our "guild focus" or whatever justification you wish to use. Just let's get away from being tied to SPELLS to do this.

Redarch
Dwarf with an Axe.. Watch your toes!
Re: Dark Paladin 11/30/2007 07:24 AM CST
>Just let's get away from being tied to SPELLS to do this.

That's why I'm expecting good things from 'faiths' et al. and not expecting a rewrite of the entire guild to accomodate alternate styles of play.

Cheers - Tristtan
Re: Dark Paladin 11/30/2007 08:58 AM CST
Although the topic is interesting to read about, we need to move this out of the Camp Squire folder as this is to help new paladins.

~Maece

"You thought it was me gnawing on the passengers? Nah, I'm a vegetarian."

Flight of the Living Dead, 2007