First Strike bug now? 11/29/2015 10:53 AM CST
The names have been changed to protect the guilty heretics. Log cleaned to protect the reader's eyes.

An ephemeral light glows about you blunting the blow.
The air around you solidifies into a bright yellow glow, buckling and losing much of its mass under the force of the attack.
* Bob hurls a light haralun throwing axe at you. You attempt to evade.
The axe lands a glancing (1/23) blow to your left arm.
The throwing axe falls to the ground!
[You're bruised, solidly balanced with opponent in superior position.]

You begin to advance on Bob.

>
You close to pole weapon range on Bob.

An ephemeral light glows about you blunting the blow.
The air around you solidifies into a dull yellow haze and intercepts the attack with a shower of coruscating light.
* Bob hurls a light haralun throwing axe at you. You fail to evade.
The axe lands a light (2/23) hit to your left hand.
The throwing axe lodges itself shallowly into you!
[You're bruised, solidly balanced with opponent in strong position.]

George protects Bob from being engaged.
You close to melee range on George.

You chant a brief litany and draw back with a divinely inspired strike!

You feel a deep pain in your soul for initiating the attack against George. This is dishonorable!
< You slice a blued double-fuller bastard sword at George. George counters little of the sword with a glaes greatsword.
[You're bruised, nimbly balanced and have slight advantage.]
[Roundtime 4 sec.]

<Really? Ok, maybe this is just the stupid way its coded, can't say I have ever had this particular situation before, but really? He was guarding the person attacking, why should a Paladin get a first strike penalty? Read on for the actual possible bug. Remember Bob? The one who started it? This is about a minute later, if that:

You stop advancing on George. (Yes, George retreated)
You begin to advance on Bob.

You feel a deep pain in your soul for initiating the attack against Bob. This is dishonorable!
< You charge a blued double-fuller bastard sword at Bob. Bob fails to dodge.
The sword lands a solid (5/23) hit to Bob's right leg.
[You're winded, nimbly balanced and in superior position.]
[Roundtime 7 sec.]

This must be a bug, or else it is just plain wrong.
Two soul hits for first strike defending myself. Is it because I did not attack Bob immediately and hit the friend guarding Bob? If so, that is stupid too. Some days it is plain hard to be a Paladin, but do we really need to be penalized like this? And first strike still seems to be pretty hefty. I thought that was changed? I could be wrong, could have been lowered for the kill hits, but I was pretty low on soul after this and did not have any kill shots in this fracas.

~~~
True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.
Re: First Strike bug now? 11/29/2015 11:32 AM CST
The first soul hit (attacking a Paladin who guarded someone attacking you) is probably a mechanical oversight and/or limitation of the system. No idea what it would take for the game to recognize you attacking someone helping someone who is attacking you.

The second soul hit (attacking someone who was throwing things at you) might have been a result of the game not properly acknowledging them being in combat with you while throwing weapons. I know that some critters sometimes don't "face" you when they're just throwing things, so it's possible players do that too, and it's also possible that if they don't show up in ASSESS they don't actually get flagged as in combat with you. It's also possible that you being in combat with George took you out of combat with Bob, and if Bob didn't throw an axe since that point it didn't "remember" the previous strikes.

Either way, they do look like bugs.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: First Strike bug now? 11/30/2015 03:09 PM CST
Personally, Paladin soul hits seem and feel outdated. I'm not sure either but fighting 2 people pretty much equals a black soul, It seems like soul hits are bigger than before.

I think many of us would prefer if possible, to have our soul pool drain instead of handing out soul hits at first. Then as your soul pool drains and there's not enough soul in the pool you start to take soul hits. As it is now, Its a pain to even defend yourself in a fight because its so restrictive and one of the main reasons why most of the people who I know dislike/quit being Paladins.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
Re: First Strike bug now? 11/30/2015 03:16 PM CST
>>because its so restrictive

A great example would be tonight's Wyvern. While I'm tempted to go, I know doing so means I'm playing 'fix the soul' for the rest of the week. End of the world? No. Annoying? Yep.

Samsaren
Re: First Strike bug now? 11/30/2015 05:55 PM CST
Yeah, I agree. I looked at the soul hits and am fine with them as to how they define the guild somewhat (stealing and stealth and such) but really, in this day and age of DR the first strike and murder prohibitions should go. If possible, the arrest hit should be moved to if a paladin is found guilty. I was going to put something snarky (like we have to have the soul hits because paladins are so OP the public needs to be protected by restraining us from mass murder kill rampages) and suggest this in my original post, but decided not to.

In that fight I took another first strike hit which took it down to pallid gray. I am actually happy I had no kill shots or arrest because It would have gone black. Makes conflict RP difficult.. perhaps I should play a more rainbow and unicorns Pallie.

~~~
True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.