Cougars v FST 07/21/2014 10:33 AM CDT
There appears to be a problem using "Footman's Strike" against Cougars. Each time I've tried this spell against this particular beast, when I get to targeting it, I get the message "you are already preparing a spell". Anything other than letting the spell decay naturally after this results in the spell backfiring and subsequent nerve damage.
I've attempted on a several occasions to use this spell in two of the cougar areas (east of Crossing near "clans" and west of Crossing where they are mixed with Wood Trolls, Boars and Hogs) and have met with the same problem. I've tried varying the target command and the Prep levels without success. I should note that A)the spell will work against the other beasts in the room when cougars are present and B) the cougars are not impervious as "Stun Foe" works on them.

Otaron
Re: Cougars v FST 07/21/2014 10:37 AM CDT
What commands are you using? Tar fst? Or are you doing a prep FST, tar cou?
Re: Cougars v FST 07/21/2014 02:25 PM CDT
my original script contains "prep FST" and "tar" %1 which works fine on hogs, goblins, wood trolls etc. and I used "cou" and "Cougar" to no avail

I also tried typing in the commands "prepare fst" and "target cou" and "target cougar" but still got the same results.
Re: Cougars v FST 07/21/2014 03:09 PM CDT
If I had to guess, it might think you're trying to prep Courage.

Weapons for Sale:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/User:CARAAMON#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Cougars v FST 07/21/2014 03:15 PM CDT
Without preparing anything try >targ fst at cougar. You can >targ <spellname> to prepare and begin targeting a spell with whatever you're facing and >targ <spellname> at <target> to prepare the spell and begin targeting whatever you specify.
Re: Cougars v FST 07/21/2014 05:05 PM CDT
<<If I had to guess, it might think you're trying to prep Courage.>>

^this

No need to prep and target. Change your scripts to just "tar %1" and you'll be good.

--Just a Squire
Re: Cougars v FST 07/21/2014 10:07 PM CDT
<<No need to prep and target. Change your scripts to just "tar %1" and you'll be good.>>

Oops that should be "tar fst %1"
--Just a Squire
Re: Cougars v FST 07/22/2014 05:26 AM CDT
thanks for all the above advice. Worked fine, even managed to lock both "Targeting" and "debilitation" with cougars.

Otaron
Re: Cougars v FST 07/22/2014 07:43 AM CDT
>If I had to guess, it might think you're trying to prep Courage.

That was my suspicion! Glad someone got it lined out.
Re: Cougars v FST 07/23/2014 03:17 PM CDT
HAH all that fuss and it turns out I don't have to target the spell anyway, unless it's to hit something I'm not facing. So it's just "prep fst (amount) and cast" making life a lot easier, the grendels and trolls having been falling like ninepins.

Otaron
Re: Cougars v FST 07/23/2014 07:46 PM CDT
I think there's a target/aim bonus from targeting TM spells. You don't ever need to prep a TM spell. Just 'target fst bob', skip the 'prep' phase entirely.

You can prep/cast, but you take a penalty, and you don't need to prep it anyway.
Re: Cougars v FST 07/23/2014 11:01 PM CDT
I believe it's less a targeting bonus with full target as it is a targeting penalty with anything less.

But either way, it is as others have said. You should always use TARGET with TM spells instead of PREP. There is no reason to use PREP for TM spells since the TARGET verb incorporates the preparation step into it and starts the aim process to boot. The only exception is TM spells that have special mechanics and don't use the TARGET verb at all like SLS, BG, etc.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Re: Cougars v FST 07/24/2014 02:10 AM CDT
Now I'm confused, I'd assumed that by prepping a targetted spell you could increase the mana used and thus the potential damage whereas by targeting and not prepping you were just using the minimum mana and so the least damage.
My reasoning behind this being that when you increase the mana on spells like "Divine Guidance" you increase the length of time they stay active and apparantly, from other stuff I've read, the effectiveness.

Otaron
Re: Cougars v FST 07/24/2014 02:14 AM CDT
TARGET is pretty nice, now!

You can TARGET SPELL MANA.

You can also TARGET SPELL MANA AT TARGET to specify something other than what you are facing.
Re: Cougars v FST 07/24/2014 03:05 AM CDT
<<Now I'm confused, I'd assumed that by prepping a targetted spell you could increase the mana used and thus the potential damage whereas by targeting and not prepping you were just using the minimum mana and so the least damage.

TARGET works exactly the same way PREPARE does including being able to indicate how much mana you want to use, but also starts to aim. You can target after you PREPARE but it is always more efficient to use TARGET instead of PREPARE.

From the in-game help (note that the AT <target> part is optional):

> target help
The TARGET verb allows for targeting magical spells on creature and player targets. You must be preparing a spell in order to target it, and the spell must be targetable. Some spells are prevented from targeting specific body parts.

Syntax:
TARGET -- will default to the creature you are facing
TARGET <PLAYER>
TARGET <CREATURE>
TARGET <PLAYER/CREATURE> <LOCATION> -- target specific body areas on the indicated victim
TARGET <LOCATION> -- target indicated body area on the target you are facing
(Valid locations include head, right/left eye, neck, right/left arm, right/left hand, chest, abdomen, back, right/left leg. Some creatures may have other names for these locations.)
TARGET <spell abbreviation> <mana amount> AT <target> -- Prepare a spell and immediately target it.

TARGET INFO will provide more detailed examples.

Re: Cougars v FST 07/24/2014 10:08 AM CDT
Thanks for the info Absolon. I'd looked at the in-game instructions under "magic Help/targeting help" which gives you:

These spells are collectively called "targeted magic". The casting order for spells of this nature is a little different, because there is a command inserted into the prepare/cast structure:

PREPARE (spell name) (power)
[TARGET (target)]
CAST [(target)]

Given that this is quite specific about what to do I didn't think to go looking for any other instructions.

Otaron
Re: Cougars v FST 07/24/2014 12:17 PM CDT
Oh man. Don't use the in-game help. It's hilariously outdated 90% of the time. Try going to elanthipedia.play.net and just reading the wiki for information.
Re: Cougars v FST 07/24/2014 12:30 PM CDT
<<Oh man. Don't use the in-game help. It's hilariously outdated 90% of the time. Try going to elanthipedia.play.net and just reading the wiki for information.

The help for specific verbs tends to be correct more often than not, and elanthipedia verb pages are almost always just cut and paste from the in-game help with some clarification or explanation tossed in. <Verb> HELP and STUDY <item> are usually enough to get most of the answers you would need for any task, with elanthipedia being a good place to go when you want more details.

Re: Cougars v FST 07/24/2014 03:19 PM CDT
In-game help saw a massive update circa the DR 3.0 release. then again, elanthipedia and it's search function is decidedly easier to navigate.

Nikpack