Truffenyi's Rally Experience Bug? 05/07/2014 10:47 AM CDT
I don't seem to be learning from TR at all. Holy warrior is the same difficulty and teaches reasonably at various mana ranges and is the same difficulty as TR (esoteric). I have warding, aug and utility relatively close together (around 700s). I've tried 10, 20 and 30 mana casts and don't seem to move above clear after several minutes or until attunement runs dry.

I recall learning from TR in test, so I'm wondering if this might be a user or character problem.
Re: Truffenyi's Rally Experience Bug? 05/07/2014 12:04 PM CDT
Same issue here.

I have utility and warding within 15-ranks of each other. A 20 mana cast of HOW gets me to 16/34 in about 5 minutes. The same cast of TR doesn't even get me to learning. A 25 cast of TR doesn't get me to learning. A 30 cast of TR doesn't get me to learning. See a pattern? TR is broken.

--Just a Squire
Re: Truffenyi's Rally Experience Bug? 05/07/2014 12:32 PM CDT
A number of cyclic spells seem to be broken when it comes to exp. A GM said they are going to have to wait until more of them are out of day jobs to start looking into why that is.
Re: Truffenyi's Rally Experience Bug? 05/07/2014 04:19 PM CDT
I've had almost no involvement in magic exp so I can't really address the question but I would urge you to post exp problems in the main magic folders - Socharis and Armifer are monitoring those two and most of the exp discussions are going on there.

For spell specific bugs guild folders are the way to go however.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Truffenyi's Rally Experience Bug? 05/08/2014 02:52 PM CDT
There are continued problems with either TR, HOW, or both.

HOW trains Warding well for me at a 20 mana cast and 594 ranks in Warding. Three spent casts and 15 minutes or so, and I lock. Using a cambrinth orb to draw power from I timed the pulses for mana draw. It pulses every 30 seconds.

TR still trains Utility very poorly, regardless of what I cast it at (20, 25, 30, I can't cast any higher). I have 610 in Warding. Thee spent casts and 15 minutes later Utility gets to 8 or 9/34. Using a cambrinth orb to draw power from I timed the pulses for mana draw. It pulses every 10-12 seconds.

So TR teaches at 1/3 the rate, but draws mana at 3x the speed. Either HOW is teaching too well and overly conservative in its mana draw for what the tweaks were supposed to be, or TR is teaching too poorly and is overly liberal with its mana draw: or both.

I am hoping TR is just broken right now. Please fix it.

--Just a Squire
Re: Truffenyi's Rally Experience Bug? 05/08/2014 02:55 PM CDT
>>TR still trains Utility very poorly, regardless of what I cast it at (20, 25, 30, I can't cast any higher). I have 610 in Warding. Thee spent casts and 15 minutes later Utility gets to 8 or 9/34. Using a cambrinth orb to draw power from I timed the pulses for mana draw. It pulses every 10-12 seconds.

Silly question but is TR pure utility or aug/utility? epedia lists it as hybrid. If it is hybrid, it should be moving utility and aug, but at half the rate as if it was pure X.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Truffenyi's Rally Experience Bug? 05/08/2014 03:36 PM CDT
<<Silly question but is TR pure utility or aug/utility? epedia lists it as hybrid. If it is hybrid, it should be moving utility and aug, but at half the rate as if it was pure X.>>

Yes, it is hybrid, but Augmentation only got to 2/34.

That still doesn't explain the 3x mana draw rate. I can't keep the spell up at 20 mana for more than a few minutes.

With the HOW pulse every 30 seconds I can keep it up indefinitely.

--Just a Squire
Re: Truffenyi's Rally Experience Bug? 05/08/2014 03:41 PM CDT
I've been getting much better mileage out of other spells. I can keep warding and utility moving pretty well by casting MAF, AA, BA and another non-battle utility spell between weapon swaps.

I agree with you that TR is sapping mana way too quickly and TR is teaching no where near as well as HOW. Have you used its dispel feature yet? I'm a little worried about the spirit drain. It was pretty aggressive in test, and spirit deaths are less fun in prime since I can't healme.
Re: Truffenyi's Rally Experience Bug? 05/08/2014 03:42 PM CDT
Not much of an answer, but (obviously) different spells are set to pull mana at different rates.

As far as I know, the speed it pulls mana is directly tied to how often it produces an effect (in this case balance boost, etc).

To have it pull mana less often will likely mean that it will take longer to help you when something goes wrong.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Truffenyi's Rally Experience Bug? 05/08/2014 03:53 PM CDT
<<Not much of an answer, but (obviously) different spells are set to pull mana at different rates.

As far as I know, the speed it pulls mana is directly tied to how often it produces an effect (in this case balance boost, etc).

To have it pull mana less often will likely mean that it will take longer to help you when something goes wrong.>>

That is an interesting point. So I guess this is just going to be a useless spell for training magic. If I need a 20 cast to learn and it pulses every 10 seconds, then I can only keep that spell up for 4.5-minutes in a glowing mana room (I timed it). Ohh well.

--Just a Squire
Re: Truffenyi's Rally Experience Bug? 05/08/2014 04:12 PM CDT
The problem for me is casting it at a mana level that's actually useful is hard to maintain for more than a minute or two for most paladins. I can maintain a 20 mana TR in a luminous mana room for ~4 minutes if I'm not casting anything. If I start casting anything else, forget it. If I'm in a more common room, something less than luminous, same. 30 mana drains me in a minute in the same room. Camb helps, but you're always in RT trying to keep the device(s) charged enough to maintain the spell, and you'll still go dry relatively quick.

I don't think there's a paladin out there who can keep TR up at cap for any significant length of time even while casting no other spells.
Re: Truffenyi's Rally Experience Bug? 05/08/2014 04:41 PM CDT
>I don't think there's a paladin out there who can keep TR up at cap for any significant length of time even while casting no other spells.

I don't mean this sarcastically at all, but is it a spell that should be kept up indefinitely, or even for a long while?

I've never used the spell, so I have no idea as to it's potency, but there are several Barbarian abilities (my closest practical experience) that are either incredibly draining, prevent the use of other abilities, or both.

Could it's power be good enough that it was designed to only be possible to keep it up for a short time?

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Truffenyi's Rally Experience Bug? 05/08/2014 04:59 PM CDT
>>I don't mean this sarcastically at all, but is it a spell that should be kept up indefinitely, or even for a long while?

IMO, when it comes to non TM/Debilitation cyclics, you generally have to pick between casting it with the intention of it being functional in a long term situation (ie: combat), or casting it in a way that makes it functional for the purposes of EXP.

For example, my Necromancer keeps RoC up for RP purposes. But I'm not running RoC at 49 mana, I'm running it at 12.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Truffenyi's Rally Experience Bug? 05/08/2014 09:22 PM CDT
>Could it's power be good enough that it was designed to only be possible to keep it up for a short time?

I think it's a good objective question.

I don't know how others feel, but I don't think it's good enough for a one-minute duration and limited debilitation casting. Actually, it's considerably less than a one minute duration at my personal cap; 30 isn't my personal cap. My personal cap lasts only 30 seconds or so.

My experience with the new incarnation is limited. I was really excited about the dispel aspect, but that was before a spirit death on test when facing just two casts of vertigo. I had a few spirit deaths to the spell but that was the most memorable because the warmage said something to the effect of, "Wow, that can really be exploited."

To be fair, the spirit drain was reduced after that, so I'm curious how it performs in a more realistic setting. Spirit death seems to take longer than a minute now at least, but I haven't timed it. Seems better but I'm not a big fan of the potential for spirit death without any spirit buffs, ways of augmenting spirit, or wards against spirit attacks.