Soulstate Problems 12/17/2013 11:21 AM CST
Hi all,

I've been having issues with maintaining a top-end soulstate. This issue has been happening since the middle of HE fest (at least that is when I first noticed it). I assisted back then. The GM's found nothing wrong with me so I just chalked it up to something I did wrong at the festival without realizing it, and let it go.

But it's still happening. For example, on Sunday I had just gotten my soulstate up to a top-end pristine through tithing, tending, prayer badging, and killing undead. Yesterday I logged into DR for only a couple of hours. During that time I hunted apes, listened to a skinning class, and popped boxes. Today I logged in for about 30-minutes and casted HOW to find out that my soul is down to a dull chalky color. I did nothing unPaladiny in this time.

I understand that one's soulstate is supposed to gradually decrease back toward chalky grey. However, mine has been doing so much faster than gradually (within only a few RL hours). The GM's who answered my assist recommended that I post here to see if any GM more familiar with the system wants to look into this.

--Just a Squire
Re: Soulstate Problems 12/17/2013 12:21 PM CST
Are you wearing any DO or SO generating items?
Re: Soulstate Problems 12/17/2013 12:34 PM CST
<<Are you wearing any DO or SO generating items?>>

Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know what these acronyms mean.

--Just a Squire
Re: Soulstate Problems 12/17/2013 12:40 PM CST
DO - Divine Outrage
SO - Social Outrage

Basicly, there's a handful of necromancer/evil themed items that when you pick up or wear give a messaging warning about being seen with the item. These items generate one of the above conditions (usually SO) which has a handful of negative effects associated with them. Elanthepedia has solid pages explaining both in far more detail.

On the subject of soul, if you aren't spitting, stealing, attacking someone else, or hiding from a player in a spar your soul shouldn't decay quite that fast. Make sure you aren't using Necromatic scrolls either.

Samsaren
Re: Soulstate Problems 12/17/2013 01:09 PM CST
Nope, not wearing anything like that. Nor am I using any necro spells. No one seems to be showing any outrage toward me in towns, guildhalls, etc.

Also am not spitting, stealing, attacking someone else, or hiding from a player in a spar. Something else is going on here.

As I posted, it all seemed to begin during HE fest. My first thought was that The Witch cursed me when she did my alteration, since I was the last one chosen from her list and she stayed up until about 3am to get to me, heh.

--Just a Squire
Re: Soulstate Problems 12/17/2013 01:33 PM CST
Some items aren't obviously 'evil.' You might want to post your inventory and any titles you might be wearing so we can try to help you more.

Cass
Re: Soulstate Problems 12/17/2013 01:48 PM CST
<<Some items aren't obviously 'evil.' You might want to post your inventory and any titles you might be wearing so we can try to help you more.>>

Name: Crusader Lennon Fruvous, Backstabbing Novice of M'Riss

You are wearing an engraved electrum-plated chain helm, a platinum jadeite gwethdesuan, a silver kyanite gwethdesuan, a dull serpent earcuff, a dull serpent earcuff, a sculpted damite faceplate with silversteel inlays of the avatars of the Immortals, a simple wooden medallion, a twisted black cord dangling a silver ring bearing the crest of the Paladin's guild, a dark steelsilk greatcloak clasped at the shoulder with a smoky soulstone embedded in the crest of the Paladin's guild, some knitted plaid socks labeled "WASH ME", a red Dream rose, a witch ball, a heavy silk haversack, a shimmering faeweave baldric with cambrinth buckles, a forester's crossbow, a hand-stitched traveler's pack, a finely tailored black Elven silk shirt with thirteen soulstone-inlaid silversteel buttons, some midnight black crusader's armor accented with a platinum etching of the Fruvous family crest on the breastplate, a fiery glass sphere on a simple tyrium chain, some steel elbow spikes, a tarnished crusader's shield with a worn soulstone boss encircled by the pantheon of the Immortals, a blackened steel wrist knife with an armadillo hide grip, some steel spiked knuckles, some insulated heavy titanese gloves, a platinum ring, a snake charm, a platinum-banded leather belt etched with thirteen symbols, a lumpy bundle, an alabaster lockpick ring, a thick leather sporran with dangling white fox tails, a black leather herb pouch with double-stitched seams, a dark gem pouch, a grey and black tartan kilt cinched at the waist with an exquisitely engraved silver pin, some pockmarked silver-plated light plate greaves, a silver-inlaid thigh quiver labeled "Justa Squire", some steel knee spikes, some steel-toed footwraps with silver buckles, a pair of black hawk-winged boots adorned with tiny emeralds, some blackened steel rowel spurs inlaid with ivory scrollwork, and a gleaming animite parry stick studded with rubies.

--Just a Squire
Re: Soulstate Problems 12/17/2013 02:20 PM CST
As a first suggestion, I'd try taking off the backstabbing novice title. Since it's related to Thieves, it may do something bad to your soulstate. I have seen other titles (though not that one) affect people's soulstate levels before.

If that doesn't work, I would try double-checking the origin of all of your items, including who you got them from.
Re: Soulstate Problems 12/17/2013 02:48 PM CST
Thanks for the suggestions.

I was told by the assisting GM last time that the title is fine. If the Paladin guru suggests otherwise I'll take it down. Unfortunately, once I take it off its gone forever as that skill no longer exists. It was from about 10 years ago when backstabbing existed and listening to the class was OK.

As far as all the items, most of them are from before I left in 2003. The only one's that aren't either I forged and had altered, got from Kanton's, paid someone to craft, or got as quest treasure. So not sure why any of those would be doing anything bad to my soul. Nothing when I put it on gives em any sort of negative message.

--Just a Squire
Re: Soulstate Problems 12/17/2013 04:14 PM CST
Unfortunately, I don't believe we currently have a guru, so I'm not sure who would really be best able to look into this for you.
Re: Soulstate Problems 12/17/2013 05:11 PM CST

I am experiencing the same soulstate problems as Lennon described. Did someone roll out a change to devotion?

Maybe the belt? But I haven't changed my clothes in like, a year.

You are Scoundrel Gideon Templar of Ilithi, a Human.
You have tilted ale-brown eyes. Your black hair is short and straight, and is worn in a simple, loose style. You have tanned skin.
You are tall for a Human.
A lustrous anloral shaped like a tiny temple rests on your forehead, just above your eyes.
You appear to be middle-aged.
A shadowy orb rippling with silver arcs of light hovers like a will-o-wisp, following you diligently.
You are in good shape.

You are wearing a muted rainbow glass orb suspended from a spinel-set anloral chain, a steel lockpick ring, a ruined book of "Faith and Soul" tethered by a tarnished steel chain, a wristlet of intertwined ivy and forget-me-nots, a dark steel torque, a reinforced steelsilk soldier's rucksack, a polished leather harness with a slender alabaster staff secured to it, a platinum jadeite gwethdesuan, a platinum kyanite gwethdesuan, a sorrel woolen cassock patterned with streaks of ashy cambrinth slivers, a singed leather sword belt with a frosty white elanthite clasp, a singed vulture charm with beady black eyes, a heavy wool haversack, a shadowy grey carving knife displaying the Thieves' Guild crest, and a fuzzy gem pouch.
Re: Soulstate Problems 12/17/2013 05:17 PM CST
Oh, but, I'm a cleric.

So, perhaps all that is irrelevant.

- Gideon
Re: Soulstate Problems 12/17/2013 09:23 PM CST
Are you using SMITE a ton? I think that if you use SMITE when your smite pool is empty you end up giving yourself soul hits.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Soulstate Problems 12/17/2013 09:28 PM CST
Lennon, what's the origin of that wrist knife? The 'blackened' variant I've seen has been a necro one, I think?

Otherwise, and I know you said this so pardon me for crossing old ground, are you casting any spells which aren't Paladin spells? What spells are you using for training? I don't think any actively use soul? Are you wanted on charges somewhere maybe? Are you using any abilities which consume the soulstate for some reason? Are you low on favors? Are you hiding at melee or anything else odd?

>Oh, but, I'm a cleric.

Clerics and Paladins use completely separate soul/devotion systems as far as I know; as stupid as this question is, are you sure you're not just consuming your devotion via communes? It goes fast if you use merauds to train like most people.
Re: Soulstate Problems 12/17/2013 10:00 PM CST
<<Are you using SMITE a ton? I think that if you use SMITE when your smite pool is empty you end up giving yourself soul hits.>>

I am! Maybe that's it. I have it built into a script. I'll take it out and see if it helps. Thanks for the suggestion.

--Just a Squire
Re: Soulstate Problems 12/17/2013 10:04 PM CST
>>I am! Maybe that's it. I have it built into a script. I'll take it out and see if it helps. Thanks for the suggestion.

Good luck!

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Soulstate Problems 12/30/2013 05:32 AM CST
It obviously must be the dirty socks.

Leucius

Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Re: Soulstate Problems 01/01/2014 06:07 PM CST
<<It obviously must be the dirty socks.>>

I think the socks only give a soul hit if I take them off...

The player formerly known as Pureblade was right, it was overuse of smite. There really should be some messaging that indicates using it when your soul pool is too low gives a soul hit.

--Just a Squire