Protect - how its broken 09/25/2013 07:24 AM CDT
Currently Protect is rather heftily bugged in two respects, 1, Protect Deflect ALWAYS provides the max level of success, preventing all physical attacks regardless of skill, 2, Protect Cover does absolutely nothing.

Examples:
Protect Deflect is SUPPOSED to give the Protecting paladin a chance to hinder and or stop an attack via STANCED parry/shield vs attackers skill. Varying levels of success included Complete failure to hinder the attack, slightly hinder, hinder, greatly hinder, stop the attack, Max success Stopping the attack, and giving the attacker a RT and Balance penalty.

The problem right now is Protect Deflect is ONLY giving the max level success. As an example, I pit my ~450 HT against ~200 shield, note the bonus RT (and balance hit took me from adeptly balanced to solid)
* Littleguy2 swings his tower shield, obstructing your strike from reaching Littleguy1!
[You're solidly balanced with no advantage versus Littleguy2.]
[Roundtime 5 sec.]

Protect Cover is broken in the other direction. Its supposed to place the Protector in the way of the attack, taking it upon himself, contesting only his stanced Parry/Shield, with a bonus from soul state. The Protectee was always completely guarded, however a Protector would take the full attack, with attached consequences including death.
However, at the moment it does absolutely nothing, Example:
Samsaren positions himself to intercept your strike against Littleguy2!
< Awkwardly, you feint a steel scepter at Littleguy2. Littleguy2 evades.
[You're off balance with opponent in better position.]
[Roundtime 1 sec.]

If someone could take a look at Protect and give it some much needed lovin' I would be greatly appreciative. Additionally, when Protect was released in the past we were told it would be setup to also contest TM based spells, once certain combat hooks were setup for it. If someone could look into such while fixing this ability that would be stellar.

Thanks,
Samsaren
Re: Protect - how its broken 09/25/2013 06:38 PM CDT
http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Paladins/Bugs/view/1145

1145-1175

If you go back a few pages, there was a lot of discussion on it. Not sure why that discussion was ignored by GMs, since it's been 7 months with no reply. Considering that PROTECT is currently one of the most broken abilities in the game, it's just hard to imagine why it hasn't been touched or even really commented on. It was broken to the point that most of the Paladins were refusing to use it outright, and scolding their fellow Paladins who did due to it being underhanded and cheap.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Protect - how its broken 09/26/2013 12:20 PM CDT
Thanks for posting on this. I hate watching a zombie kill an innocent bystander because using protect feels like bug abuse despite good intentions. I think only MUs can currently get around protect since some/all TM spells ignore it.
Re: Protect - how its broken 09/26/2013 08:53 PM CDT
>>most of the Paladins were refusing to use it outright, and scolding their fellow Paladins who did due to it being underhanded and cheap.

Our RP outshines our dated mechanics! Go team Paladin! We deserve cookies!
Re: Protect - how its broken 09/30/2013 07:28 PM CDT
So here's where we are on PROTECT.

1) A potential crash bug (!!) has been eradicated with extreme prejudice.

2) PROTECT DEFLECT is buggy in a bad way. I put a temporary fix into it, but it'll still show very extreme results without a more extensive rewrite. You're still very likely to succeed and get a total deflection, but now it isn't so insane that a 16th circle Paladin can deflect a sky giant (my test conditions today).

For the curious, it actually was possible to fail the Deflect contest, it just involved numbers even lower than the example I used.

3) PROTECT COVER was buggy in a less bad way. It should now be fixed. Please play around with it and let me know.

Like the other Paladin changes, it'll be in Prime and Plat for awhile before migrating to Fallen.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Protect - how its broken 09/30/2013 09:32 PM CDT
Thanks much, I'll poke at it and try to break it...er, test it again.

Samsaren