Re: An IC explanation please? 04/24/2010 04:05 PM CDT
> Nothing stops the undead from brainlessly calling out
> to the Gods.

Nothing stops the living from doing it either, more's the pity.
Re: An IC explanation please? 04/26/2010 02:49 PM CDT
>> Nothing stops the living from doing it either, more's the pity.

Nicely done sir.
Re: An IC explanation please? 04/26/2010 05:18 PM CDT
> Nicely done sir.

Thank you, thank you... I'll be here all week.
Re: An IC explanation please? 04/27/2010 03:42 AM CDT
A god is not a person. It is more akin to a natural force.

When Gods create undead, it often seems to be either as a punishment or reward for the victim. When it happens to someone who was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, it's more akin to a lightning strike or a volcano.

The writing gives you the sense that the gods are unable to control their nature, and that the two aspects are honestly just a mortal's attempt to personify that which is too big to fit into the world as they understand it. If you take Zachriedek or Divyaush as individuals, they seem like reasonable and identifiable gods. When you realize that they're all just Kertigen, he starts to seem incomprehensible and more than a little insane.

Getting back to the original point, a cleric of Asketi still gets devotion from smashing an Asketian undead because Asketi is also Berengaria and all three of them are Hodierna, who hates undead despite being one of the primary sources of them.

And that is the main reason why many of our characters have (spiritually) decided to make a break for it.
Re: An IC explanation please? 04/27/2010 06:12 AM CDT
thank you for your post odin, you have put things into perspective that my character may eventually come to hold, if she either fails redemption or later "falls from grace" I would suppose would be the term. Now its all up to how soon the redemption quest becomes possible, or whether she circles past the point of no return. Which I have gathered from the prime folks is anywhere from around 60th circle to 80th circle? With only 3 active necromancers in plat -- one of whom is RP'ed as perverse -- that should give us variety to have all 3 "schools" of necromantic thought represented. :-)

Out of curiosity, did you make everyone stop trying to kill Lyras so you could go try to kill Book?

Re: An IC explanation please? 04/27/2010 11:44 AM CDT
I believe from the surrounding lore in the areas of undershard I came to the understanding that corpses reanimated there because the area is cursed by some perversive and lingering magical enchantment...

It has been a long time since I wandered there though, so I could be all wrong.
Re: An IC explanation please? 04/27/2010 12:33 PM CDT
>>A god is not a person. It is more akin to a natural force.

The Moon Mage cosmology piece I did awhile back, while not really true in a 'this is how the universe really works' sense, tries to make sense of the gods' nature in a way that Necromancers would find appealing. It poisted that the structural principle of Fate and the wild spiritual font of the gods are two opposing forces. Gods are creatures that exist very much at the 'font of creation,' but lack intrinsic definition and reach downward to be something more than just a vaguely cognizant, chaotic force of supernature.

The things that exist 'below' had the opposite problem. They are animistic spirits, with only the barest trickle of a spirit to give them agency and creativity. Every part of their identity and motive is bound up into the essence of what they are, and their actions, even when capable of incredible guile and intellect, are as determined and autonomic as your heart beat.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: An IC explanation please? 04/27/2010 05:52 PM CDT
<<The things that exist 'below' had the opposite problem. They are animistic spirits, with only the barest trickle of a spirit to give them agency and creativity. Every part of their identity and motive is bound up into the essence of what they are, and their actions, even when capable of incredible guile and intellect, are as determined and autonomic as your heart beat>>

hmm. so if two of these "forces" that exist below - are set up to oppose each other -

say, the hunger - vs whatever it is that powers maelshyve - the resulting chaos in the plane of existence could put a rip in the fabric of the universe? Uhoh.

:-)

Out of curiosity, did you make everyone stop trying to kill Lyras so you could go try to kill Book?

Re: An IC explanation please? 04/27/2010 06:11 PM CDT
>...whatever it is that powers maelshyve

From my understanding, Maelshyve and the Hunger are both categorized as Demonic class entities.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: An IC explanation please? 04/27/2010 11:36 PM CDT
Gods and demons that are blind gibbering idiots putting on masks and enviously trying to be people like the mortals they try to control? Neat concept. Someone could have a lot of fun with that.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: An IC explanation please? 04/28/2010 01:10 AM CDT
>>Gods and demons that are blind gibbering idiots putting on masks and enviously trying to be people like the mortals they try to control? Neat concept. Someone could have a lot of fun with that.

Men dream of being angels, all the while the angels dream of being men.

I can't claim to have invented this one.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas